DYMOCK (originally DY-MOCK, meaning the Swineherd's Cottage), is a parish and village in Newent union, containing, by the census of 1861, 1870, and in 1871, 1778 inhabitants, and 6743 acres; in the northern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Botloe, West Gloucestershire; 8 and a half miles north-west from Newent, 4 and a half south from Ledbury, and 12 north-west from Gloucester, on the main road between those places, and on the proposed new line of railway from Gloucester to Ledbury. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. William C. E. Newbolt, M.A., is valued at £180 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of Earl Beauchamp. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, consisting of an extensive nave and transept, with organ chamber and vestry, and a massive tower surmounted by a spire, and containing six bells and a clock. The south windows are in the Early Norman style. The church has been partially restored, at a cost of about £1,000. The Wesleyans assemble for service in a room at the "George Inn". There are National Schools for children of both sexes, which are endowed with funds left by Mrs. Ann Cam for educational purposes. There is a Working Men's Club established here. This place produces a considerable quantity of cider and perry, having a great many orchards. It is divided into two manors, Great Dymock and Little Dymock. Earl Beauchamp is lord of the former, and Reginald Wynniatt, Esq., J. P., is lord of the latter.
WHITE HOUSE, in this parish, was the birthplace of John Kyrle, the celebrated "Man of Ross".
OLD GRANGE is a very ancient building, which formerly belonged to the Abbey of Flaxley.
BROMSBERROW HEATH is a hamlet of this parish, in which there is a National School, which was erected by Dr. Henry, and is used as a chapel-of-ease to the parish church.
BROOM'S GREEN is also a hamlet, in which the Primitive Methodists have a place of worship.
GREENWAY, HALLWOOD GREEN, PITHOUSE GREEN, RYTON, and TILLEY'S GREEN are also hamlets of this parish.
The rateable value of this parish is £11,064.
Clergy, Gentry, and Private Residents
BADELEY John, Esq., Hill Ash house
BATTISCOMBE Captain Henry Lumsden, Upham house
BIRT Miss Ann
DEANE George Onslow, Esq., Boyce court
HILL Guy, Esq., Old road
HODGES Mrs. Ann, Hallwood green
HODGES Miss Ann, Greenaway
NEWBOLT Rev. William C.E., M.A., vicar, The Vicarage
SALE Rev. John Edward, B.A., curate
STRANGE Mr. Henry, Stanley house
THACKWELL John Cam, Esq., D.L., J.P., Wilton place
WYNNIATT Reginald, Esq., J.P., Wilton place
Trades and Professions
ALLEN Richard, butcher, Maypole
AVERILL Geo., farmer and assistant overseer
BARNES Joseph, farmer, Moor Oak farm
BAYLEY William, carpenter
BIRT John, farmer and malster, Heath farm
BLACKBURN Edwin W., National schoolmaster
BOURNE Frederick, farmer, Bellamye
BOURNE Richard, farmer, Bellamye
BOWKETT Samuel, police constable
BULLOCK William and Phillison, farmers, Hill farm
CLARK James William, farmer, Pithouse
COX Alfred and Sons, farmers and millers, Allums
CROOK Henry, watch and clock repairer
CUMMINS James, farmer, "George Inn"
DALLOW William, blacksmith
DAVIS Thomas, farmer, Ryton
DODD Edward, machinist
DONNINGTON CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY (Limited), grocers and provision dealers, Broom's Green - Charles Harrison, manager
EAST James Henry, farmer, Green house
EVANS Thomas, mason
FAWKE Thomas and William, farmers, Little Netherton farm
FAWKE Mrs. Winfred, shopkeeper
FENCOTT John, cider merchant
GOODE Joseph, farmer, New rock
GREAVES Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, New House farm
GRIFFITHS Richard, grocer and baker
HAINE John, farmer, Haytraps farm
HANCOX Henry, blacksmith, Bromsberrow Heath
HANCOX Thomas, wheelwright, Bromsberrow Heath
HANMAN John, farmer, Tawneys
HARRISON Charles, manager of Co-operative Stores, Broom's Green
HART Thomas, farmer, Grove hill
HAWKINS Charles Hy., farmer, Callow farm
HIGDON Thomas, carpenter, Greenway
HILL James John, farmer, Timber hill
HILL Joseph, farmer, Green villa
HODGETTS Edwin, farmer, Crowfields
HODGETTS Samuel, beer retailer and coal merchant, Castle tump
HOLDER Jph., farmer, Great Netherton farm
HOOPER Robt., carpenter and grocer, Ryton
HOOPER Thomas, shoemaker
HOPKINS Miss, National schoolmistress, Bromsberrow Heath
JAMES Edward, farmer, Bickenshill farm
JAMES Thomas, farmer, Henbarrows
JONES Charles, carpenter and shopkeeper
JONES Charles, farmer, Norman's land
JONES Jeremiah, wheelwright, carpenter, and beer retailer
JONES John, blacksmith
JONES Thomas, shopkeeper, Hallwood Green
JONES William, farmer, Wind Cross farm
JONES William, grocer, Iddins
LOVERIDGE Richard, farmer, Vell mill
LOWE John, stonemason
MAYO John, butcher
MILLARD John, sub-postmaster
MILLS Henry, draper, grocer, and privision factor
MORGAN John H., farmer, Mirables
MORGAN William, mason
NEWMAN William Chas., miller and farmer, Farm mill
NICHOLLS John, shoemaker, Bromsberrow Heath
ONIONS John, shoemaker, Broom's Green
ONIONS Robert, shopkeeper, Broom's Green
PASSEY Reuben, carrier and shopkeeper
PAYNE John, farmer, Ryton
PITT Miss Sarah, preparatory school for boys, Stoneberrow
POPE William Fowler, farmer, The Pounds
PRICE William, farmer, New Grange
SALLAS Richd., shopkeeper, Hallwood Green
SAYCE Edward, blacksmith and beer retailer, Broom's Green
STALLARD William, farmer, Rose Hill farm
STOCK John, farmer, Lintridge
STOCK John, Jun., farmer, Lintridge
THURSTON Mrs. Sarah, "Plough" commercial inn
THURSTON William, farmer, White house
TOWNSEND Matthew, blacksmith, Ryton
TURNER William, farmer, Hallwood Green
UNDERWOOD James, carpenter and grocer, Bromsberrow Heath
WATTS George, farmer, Swords farm
WEBLEY Aaron, tailor
WELCH John White Walter, beer retailer
WILKINS William, farmer, Hill Ash farm
WILLIAMS John, carpenter, Hall Green
WOODWARD John, farrier and beer retailer, Bromsberrow Heath
Post Office - John Millard, sub-postmaster. Letters through Gloucester delivered at 7 a.m. and 5.30 p.m.; dispatched at 8.30 a.m. and 8.37 p.m. On Sundays one delivery at 7 a.m. and one dispatch at 8.37 p.m. Money orders granted and paid, and savings bank, insurance, and annuity business transacted, and dog and gun licenses granted from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and on Saturdays until 8 p.m.
N.B. - Letters for Broom's Green, Greenway, Hallwood Green, and Tilley's Green should be addressed near Ledbury instead of Dymock.
Police Station - Samuel Bowkett, constable in charge.
Working Men's Club - Edwin W. Blackburn, secretary.
National School - Edwin W. Blackburn, master; Mrs. Sarah Jane Blackburn, mistress.
National School, Bromsberrow Heath - Miss Hopkins, mistress.
Conveyance - Mail coach from Ledbury to Gloucester passes through daily at 8.30 a.m., returning at 5.30 p.m., calling at the Plough each way.
Carrier - Reuben Passey to Ledbury, Tues, Ross, Thurs, and Gloucester, Sat.