Morris & co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of

Kempley 1876


KEMPLEY is a parish and straggling village near the borders of Herefordshire, in Newent union, containing, by the census of 1861, 311, and in 1871, 306 inhabitants and 1568 acres; in the northern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, Botloe hundred, West Gloucestershire; 4 and a half miles north-west from Newent, 6 and a half south-west from Ledbury, 7 and a half north-east from Ross, and 12 and a half north-west from Gloucester. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Hislop Drummond, M.A., is valued at £230 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of Earl Beauchamp. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of nave and chancel, with tower containing three bells, the nave and chancel are divided by a solid arch with Norman mouldings, and there is a remarkably good Norman arch at the entrance door, which is partly hidden by the present porch; two of the three bells are of the date Edward 1st, and contain the following inscriptions : on the first bell, "Dilige Vergo pia quos congero Sancta Maria," and on the second bell, "Jesue campanam Tibi semper protege Sanam." Between each word of the latter inscription, the heads of King Edward and Queen Eleanor are placed alternately. The church was restored in 1872, and in cleansing the walls from whitewash, some fine wall painting was discovered which is supposed to be of the date 1180; the painting on the roof represents Our Lord in Majesty, surrounded by the four Holy Evangelists, seven candlesticks, the sun, moon, and stars, with St. Peter and the Virgin Mary; on the chancel walls are the Twelve Apostles, six on each side, seated on thrones in the attitude of adoration. On the east wall is a life sized portrait of a Bishop in eucharistic vestments, with his right hand upraised and the pastoral staff in his left. A temporary church has also been erected by Earl Beauchamp, for the greater convenience of the parish. There is a National School, which was erected in 1866 by Earl Beauchamp, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. The rateable value of this parish is £1899.


Clergy and Gentry

DRUMMOND Rev. Arthur Hislop, M.A., vica, The Vicarage

FERRIS Timothy John, Esq., Lower house


Trades and Professions

BROOKE Isaac, farmer and thrashing machine proprietor, Friar's court

BROOKE John, farmer, Cakes farm

BURGUM Arthur, farmer, Mathew's farm

FORTY Robert, parish clerk

FRETWILL Henry, farm bailiff, Green farm

HARTLAND John, farmer, Old vicarage

JONES Samuel, farmer, Print House farm

JONES William, shoemaker

LANE Frederick, farmer, Bridge's farm

MASON John, farmer, Brick House farm

NOTT John, carpenter and wheelwright

PALMER John, farmer, Bullocks end

PALMER Mrs. Mary, farmer, Kempley court

PHELPS James, farmer, Moor House farm

POWELL John, farmer, Seysell's farm

PROBERT John, farmer, Folly farm

SANDFORD Miss Elizabeth, National schoolmistress

SPENCER Thomas, farmer, Powell's end

SYMONDS Ira, carpenter and wheelwright

THURSTON Frederick, farmer, Stone House farm

WINTLE William, beer retailer and shopkeeper

Letters through Gloucester via Dymock. Wall letter box cleared at 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Dymock.

National School - Miss Elizabeth Sandford, smistress.