Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of
LANCAUT is a small parish in Chepstow union, containing by the census of 1861, 9, and in 1871, 11 inhabitants, and 188 acres of land; in the south division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Westbury, West Gloucestershire; on the east bank of the Wye, 2 miles north-east from Chepstow. The rectory, with that of Alvington, is united to Woollaston, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. William Somerset, M.A., B.C.L., and the patronage of Samuel Stephens Marling, Esq., M.P.; joint annual value £640. The church, dedicated to St. James, was a small ancient edifice, but has gradually fallen into decay, and is now nothing but a ruin. The rateable value of this parish is £231.
RYMER Henry, farmer and manure agent
Letters through Chepstow, which is the nearest money order office.