Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of

Littledean 1876



DEAN (LITTLE) or LITTLEDEAN is a parish and village in Westbury-on-Severn union, containing, by the census of 1861, 887, and in 1871, 884 inhabitants, and 437 acres; in the southern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of St. Briavels, West Gloucestershire; 2 miles north-west from Newnham, 3 south-west from Westbury-on-Severn, 12 south-west from Gloucester, and 116 from London, on the borders of Dean Forest. This place is very much ancient, being mentioned in the Doomsday Book. It has been considerable noted for its manufacture of nails, but which has greatly fallen off. There is a large prison, which was formerly used as a House of Correction, but since 1854 if has only been used as a house of remand and police station. This place having been found more central and convenient for the magistrates of the Newnham division to hold their meetings, an unused wing of this building was converted into a Petty Sessional Court, and fitted up with all the requirements necessary, with retiring rooms for the magistrates and stabling for their horses, and since October, 1874, the Petty Sessions have been held here every Monday. The rectory in the incumbency of the Rec. William Lockett, B. A., is valued at £190 per annun, with residence, and is in the gist of the Church Patronage Society. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Ethelbert, consisting of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with tower surmounted by a spire and containing six bells. The foundation of the church is supposed to be Saxon, but there are two Norman pillars dividing the nave from the chancel. The chantry formerly belonged to the monks of Llanthony Abbey. The Independents have a place of worship here, and there is a National School for children of both sexes. The poor have charitable bequests producing about £25 per annum. Mrs. Davies, of the Wilderness, is lady of the manor. A cattle fair is held annually on the 26th November. The rateable value of this parish is £2,328.



BAMFORD Mr. Joseph

BENNETT Mr. Joseph

BRADSTOCK John Samuel, Esq., Hill house

COWMEADOW Mr. Thomas, Dean cottage

GOOLD Mrs. Susan

GRIFFITHS Rev. David (Congregational), The Manse

LOCKETT Rev. William, B. A., The Rectory

PALMER Mrs. Ann, The Temple

ROBERTS Mr. Thomas

WILSON The Misses



ADAMS WILLIAM PITT, "George" Hotel and posting house

BRAIN Anthony, nailmaker

BRAIN Esau, carpenter

BRETHERTON Henry, marine store dealer

BRYANT John, shoemaker

BUCKLEY Frederick, farmer

CHOULS Young, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Littledean hill

CLARK John, carpenter and wheelwright

CLUTTERBUCK William, blacksmith

CRITCHLEY William, shoemaker

CROWDY Thos., carpenter and wheelwright

DAVIS Peter, carpenter and wheelwright

GLASTONBURY Henry, plasterer

GLASTONBURY Philip, sub-postmaster

GWILLIAM Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper

GWILLIAM Henry, nailmaker

GWILLIAM John, nailmaker

GWILLIAM Thomas, nailmaker

GWILLIAM Zachariah, nailmaker

HALL Samuel, carpenter

HELT Henry, shoemaker

HODGES Henry Jabez, iron works manager, Springfield cottage

HODGES Wm. Henry, iron works manager

HURCOMB Samuel, grocer, draper, and fruit dealer

JOLLY Zachariah, gentlemen's boadring and day school

MARSHALL Edwin, farmer, Prospect road

MORSE William, "King's Head" inn, and farmer

PALMER Joseph, farmer

PARRY Thomas, mason

PURNELL Onesiphorus, land surveyor, accountant, and grocer

ROBERTS Miss Mary, shopkeeper

ROBINS Mrs. Mary, farmer

ROE Charles, tailor

SCOTT James, buildrer, Collafield

TANNER Robt., keeper of House of Remand, and police sergeant

TRIGG Benjn. Thos., baker and confectioner

TRIGG Timothy, "Bell" Inn

WESTBROOK Alfred, grocer and draper

WILKS Henry, "Swan" inn

WYNN George, chimneysweeper


POST OFFICE - Philip Glastonbury, sub-postmaster. Letters through Newnham delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched, North Mail at 6 p.m., and London and General Mail at 7.30 p.m. Cinderford is the nearest money order and telegraph office.


Magistrates for the Northern Division, usually attending Petty Sessions

Sir Thomas Hyde Crawley, Bart.

Henry Crawshay, Esq.

Edwin Crawshay, Esq.

Rev. Charles Edward Dighton

Alfred Goold, Esq.

Henry Montagu James, Esq.

John Jones, Esq.

Edmund Probyn, Esq.

Maynard Willoughby Wemyss, Esq.

Petty Sessions are held at the House of Detention every Monday.


House of Remand and Police Station - Robt. Tanner, police sergeant and keeper; Mrs Emma Tanner, matron.

National School - Joseph A. Keith, master; Mrs. Ellen S. Keith, mistress