LITTLE DEAN is a parish and large village, on the borders of the Forest of Dean, and on the road from Newnham to Ross, 2 miles north-west from Newnham station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, and 2 miles east from Cinderford station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, and 12 south-west from Gloucester, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, Saint Briavels hundred, Newnham petty sessional division and county court district, Westbury-on-Severn union, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Ethelbert is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells; the chancel arch is Norman; there are tablets to the Pyrke family: the church has sittings for 360 persons. The register dates from the year 1684. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent charge £87, net yearly value £146, with glebe (£5) and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Church Patronage Society, and held since 1890 by the Rev. George Alexander Papendick Arbuhnot. Here is a Congregational chapel. A cemetery of one-third of an acre was formed in 1881, at a cost of £106 15s. 6d. and is under the control of a burial board of 9 members. The charities are of about £25 yearly value, derived from land and houses, and distributed to the poor in bread and cloth. Fairs are held on Whit Sunday and the 26th November yearly, for cattle, sheep, and pigs. On a hill near the church, called Camp Hill, is a circular encampment, and several Roman roads still remain. Dean Hall is the residence of Mrs. Guise Maynard Willoughby Colchester-Wemyss esq. J. P. of Westbury Court, Westbury-on-Severn, who is lord of the manor, Thomas Wintle esq, Sir Thomas Hyde Crawley-Boevey, bart. J. P. of Flaxley Abbey, Duncombe Pyrje esq. of St. Leonard's-on-Sea, and Mrs. Goold are the chief landowners. The soil is chiefly loam; the subsoil is sand and dunstone. Coal and iron ore are procured in the neighbourhood. The chief crops are wheat and roots and some land in pasture. The area is 700 acres; rateable value, £2,050; the population in 1891 was 843.
Sexton, William Nash.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office:- Mrs. Maria Baghurst, sub-postmistres. Letters received through Newnham at 7.10 a.m. & 3.20 p.m. ; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 6.5 & 8.15 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Cinderford.
Here is Newnham Petty Sessional court & house of remand for prisoners; Gilbert White, sergeant, & 1 constable.
National School (mixed), built in 1848, for 220 children: average attendance, 131 boys & girls & 60 infants; William R. T. Cullis, master; Miss Dorcas Burgam, infant's mistress.
Carriers to Gloucester:- Joseph Phelps, sat.; Jacob Brown, from Cinderford, mon. wed. & sat.
ARBUTHNOT Rev. George Alexander Papendick, Rectory
FORD Athur John Randle, Hill house
GOOLD Frederick Forester
GUISE Mrs., Dean hall
RESKELLY Rev. Chas. Jolly (Congreg)
WALYEN William A
WILSON Miss, Frogmore cottage
BATHE Frank, grocer
BENSON Elizabeth (Miss), draper
BLUETT Edward, fish dealer
BOUGHTON Edmund, farmer
BOUGHTON Oliver, farmer, The Temple
BRAIN Albert Esau, farmer & clerk to the burial board
BRAIN Esau, carpenter
BRYANT John, shoe maker
CEMETERY (Albert Brain, clerk to the burial board)
DEE Tom, Bell P. H.
DREW William, farmer
EMBLING Mary (Mrs.), farmer
GEORGE William, nail maker
GOOLD Frederick Forester, barrister
GWILLIAM Henry, nail ma. & naturalist
HAINES James, blacksmith
HELT Henry, shoe maker
HEAVEN James, surveyor to the Kent, Surrey & General Land Society
HORWOOD Hy., farmer, Greenway farm
KNIGHT Aaron, bailiff to Newnham county court
LONG Edwin, lodging ho. (registered)
MORGAN Sidney James, wheelwright & carpenter
NELMES James, shopkeeper
PARRY Emma (Mrs.) shopkeeper
PARRY John, market gardener
PHELPS Joseph, carrier & haulier
QUICK James Stone, George P. H.
ROBINS Sarah & Edith (Misses), frmrs.
SMITH Hester (Mrs.), poulterer
SMITH Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Court farm
SMITH William, carpenter
STUBBS William, farmer, Dean cottage
WESTBROOK Alfred, farmer & collector of rates, King's Head P. H.
WILKES Henry, beer retailer
WYNN George, chimney sweep