LONGHOPE is a village and parish, and station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester Railway, 6 miles north from Newnham, 2 east from Mitcheldean, 9 west from Gloucester, and 8 south-east from Ross, in the Western division of the county, hundred of the Duchy of Lancaster, union of Westbury-on-Severn, Newnham county court district, rural deanery of The Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the high road from Gloucester to Mitcheldean and Coleford. The church of All Saints is now (1870) undergoing an entire restoration. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is an endowed vicarage, yearly value £400, with residence and about 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir William Vernon Guise, bart., and held by the Rev. Frederick Charles Guise, M. A., of University College, Durham. There is a chapel for Baptists. The charities are of £163 yearly value, of which £50 is applied for education, and the remainder distributed to the poor. Edmond Probyn, esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and roots. The area is 2,823 acres; gross estimated rental, £5,277; rateable value, £4,080 14s 6d. The population in 1861 was 1,104.
Parish Clerk - Samuel Edwards.
Post Office - Charles Hampton; receiver. Letters arrive from Gloucester at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Mitcheldean.
Church of England School, M. A. Grimes, mistress.
Railway Station, William Brown, station master.
COLEMAN Solomon, esq.
GUISE Rev. Fredk. Chas., M. A., Vicarage
GURNEY William, esq., Manor house
HACK Stephen, esq.
IRVING Mr. John, Windsor villa
PHILLIPS Rev. Henry [Baptist]
PROBYN Miss, Temple
TURNER Mr. William, Summerpool house
WILTON George Plato, esq.
ABELL Robert, shopkeeper
ADAMS Robert, shopkeeper
AMBURY Joseph, farmer, Harts barn
BALDWIN Daniel, wood turner
BENNETT Benjamin, horse dealer
BOWLES James, gentlemen's boarding school, Blenheim house
BROWNING James, Cross Inn
COLEMAN Solomon, solicitor
CONSTANCE James & Sons, wood turners & manufacturers of mop, broom, hoe, paddle & garden rake handles, hay rakes, prong stems, scythe sneads, adze, axe & pickaxe handles, Steam saw mills. Established 1788.
CONSTANCE James, farmer
CONSTANCE John, farmer
CONSTANCE William, farmer, Court farm
DAVIS Henry, wheelwright
DREW Henry, farmer, Dursley cross
FOWLER John, shopkeeper
HALE Elijah, farmer, Brook farm
HALLAWAY James, fellmonger
HAMPTON Alfred, Plough
HAMPTON Charles, farmer, The Fold
HAMPTON Charles, grocer & draper
HAMPTON Henry, boot & shoe maker
JOINER William, farmer, Vicarage farm
JONES Edwin, farmer, Blackmore
KERSEY John, miller & farmer
LEA Edwin, shopkeeper
MALLETT William, boot & shoe maker
NOBLE Edwin, Yew Tree
PARRY Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Marshes
PUGH Thomas, blacksmith
SCUDAMORE Geo., farmer, Bradley farm
SMITH Robert, beer retailer
STEPHENS Joseph, miller, Steam flour mills, The Cross
STEPHENS Walter, beer retailer, Box bush