Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of

Lydbrook 1876


LYDBROOK (UPPER AND LOWER) is a village and Eccleslastical district or parish, which was formed, in 1852, out of the township of East Dean, in Westbury-on-Severn union, the township of West Dean, and the parishes of Newland and English Bicknor, in Monmouth union, and the parish of Ruardean in Ross union, containing by the census of 1861, 1776, and in 1871, 2358 inhabitants; in the southern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of St. Briavels, West Gloucestershire; 4 miles north from Coleford, 8 north-east from Monmouth, and 8 north-west from Newnham, romantically situated in a long valley with high and steep hills on each side, from the summits of which some fine views of woodland scenery may be obtained. The River Wye bounds the west side of the parish, flowing at the bottom of Lower Lydbrook. The vicarage, is the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Thomas Hoitt, M.A., is valued at £130 per annum, and is in the alternate patronage of the Crown and Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to Holy Jesus, is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with tower and one bell, and is seated with open benches. The Baptists have a place of worship, which was erected in 1864, and enlarged in 1875, and will accommodate about 500; the Wesleyan Chapel was erected in 1864, and the Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1828, and rebuilt in 1852. There are National Schools for children of both sexes. There are some Tin and Iron Works and Collieries, which form the chief source of employment for the population. The village is likely to be much improved by the Severn and Wye Railway, which has recently been opened from Lydney to a Junction of the Ross and Monmouth Line, about a mile from thence. There are two Stations, one at Upper and the other at Lower Lydbrook, each of which is built on the hill on the north side of the valley, along which the line runs. Immediately after leaving the Lower Lydbrook Station, it crosses the valley by means of a fine viaduct 110 feet above the road beneath, which is a noble specimen of engineering skill, and combined with the beautiful scenery of the neighbourhood is well worthy of a visit.



Clergy and Gentry

FLETCHER Henry Studd, Esq.

HARRIS Mr. Henry

HOITT Rev. Henry Thomas, M.A., vicar, The vicarage

LEWIS Oliver, Esq., Waterloo house

RUSSELL William, Esq.

THOMAS Richard, Esq., The Poplars


Trades and Professions

ADDIS Frederick, mason

BARBER Joseph, grocer

BURDOCK Thos., miller and grocer, Waterloo mill

COOPER Alfred, miller, Newland Bridge mill

COOPER Arnold, clerk

COOPER William, haulier

DAVIS George, stone merchant and beer retailer

FLETCHER Henry Studd, surgeon

FRENCH Samuel, police constable

GURNEY Mrs. Mary Ann, grocer

GWILLIAM John, beer retailer and carpenter

HAINES Richard, mining engineer, colliery proprietor, and coal merchant

HALE William, haulier and shopkeeper

HARPER James, painter and glazier

HARRIS Rowland, farmer, Joy's green

HARRIS William, agent for W. and A. Gilbey's wines and spirits

HOWE John, tailor

JENKINS Samuel, carpenter and joiner

JONES James, "Crown and Sceptre" inn

JONES William, beer retailer

LERIGO James, beer retailer

LEWIS Mrs. Eliza, grocer and draper

LUSTY Giles, shoemaker


MARSHALL Abraham, mason and shopkeeper, Aston bridge

MORRIS James, boot and shoe manufacturer

PHELPS James, shopkeeper and beer retailer

ROBERTS William, shoemaker

ROBINSON George, greengrocer and shopkeeper

RUSSELL BROTHERS, iron rod and wire manufacturers, Lydbrook Iron Works

THOMAS Samuel, chemical manufacturer

WARD John, "Bell" inn

WING John, stationmaster



Clergy and Gentry

REEVES Rev. Thomas (Baptist)

RUSSELL George, Esq., Lydbrook house


Trades and Professions

BAKER Stephen, "Recruiting Sergeant" inn

BENNETT John, haulier, Waters cross

BENNETT John, Jun., "Queen's Head" inn, Waters cross

COWMEADOW William, stone merchant

CRISP Thomas, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster

DAMSELL George, linen and woollen draper

FLAY John, manager for Lydbrook Store Company

HALE Mrs. Mary, beer and wine retailer

HARDING Henry, blacksmith

JONES Edwin, "Anchor" inn

JONES Thomas, "Sawyer's Arms" inn

LITTLE Edwin, miller, baker, and farmer, Steam flour mill

LITTLE William, "New" inn

LYDBROOK STORE COMPANY, grocers and drapers - John Flay, manager

MAGNESS Richard, beer retailer and shopkeeper

MANNING John, stationmaster

PARRY Thomas, butcher and refreshment rooms keeper

TAMPLIN Edward, mill manager

THOMAS Richard and Company, colliery proprietors and iron and tin-plate manufacturers, Lydbrook Iron and Tin Plate Works; and at Lydney

TRIGG George, farmer, Tibbs green

WARD John, farmer, Vention farm

WHETSTONE Stephen, beer retailer, Vention lane

WILCE James, farmer, Waters Cross farm

WYSHAM Esaias, shopkeeper, Waters cross

Post Office and Postal Telegraph Office, Lower Lydbrook - Thomas Crisp, postmaster. Letters through Ross delivered at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 7.20 p.m. On Sundays delivered at 8.30 a.m., dispatched at 10.55 p.m. Money orders issued and paid, savings bank, insurance, and annuity business transacted, and Inland Revenue licenses granted from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Saturdays until 8 p.m.

Telegraph Office - Open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., on sundays from 8 to 10 a.m.

Wall Letter Box, Upper Lydbrook - Cleared at 7 p.m. on week days, and 10.40 a.m. on Sundays.

Police Station, Upper Lydbrook - Samuel French, constable in charge.

Church of the Holy Jeses, Upper Lydbrook - Rev. Henry Thomas Hoitt, M.A., vicar

Baptist Chapel, Lower Lydbrook - Rev. Thomas Reeves, minister

Primitive Methodist Chaper, Upper Lydbrook

Wesleyan Chapel, Lower Lydbrook

National School, Upper Lydbrook - Charles Bishop, master; Miss Olivia Churcher, mistress

Ross and Monmouth Railway Station (Junction with the Severn and Wye Railway), Stowfield - Richard D. Pressick, stationmaster

Severn and Wye Railway Station, Upper Lydbrook - John Wing, stationmaster

Severn and Wye Railway Station, Lower Lydbrook - John Manning, stationmaster