Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of




MITCHELDEAN, MICHELDEAN (or DEAN MAGNA) is a parish in Westbury-on-Severn union, containing, by the census of 1861, 689, and in 1871, 742 inhabitants, and 623 acres; in the southern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeanconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of St. Briavels, West Gloucestershire; 1 and a half mile south from Mitcheldean Road and the same distance west from Longhope Stations on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester Railway, 6 north from Newnham, 6 north-west from Westbury-on-Severn, and 12 west from Gloucester, on the road from thence through Dean Forest to Monmouth. This place is mentioned by Sir Robert Atkyn, in his History of Gloucestershire, as far back as Edward the Confessor, and at the time of the Norman Conquest, "was held by William the son of Norman, amd was taxed at two hides and two yard lands; there were twelve plow tillages and an half, whereof three were in demean. It paid a yearly rent of 33s. in King Edward's reign. He exempted these lands from payment of taxes for the better preservation of the Forest of Dean." The manor in remote ages belonged to the De Laceys; in the reign of Richard I. It was held by Geoffrey de Dene; it afterwards passed by marriage to the Earl of Coventry, who was executed for treason in the reign of Edward IV.; on his death it reverted to Alice, wife of Thomas Baynham, who built the north aisle of the church, and founded a chantry dedicated to the Trinity. The manor continued in the possession of the Baynhams until 1600, when it passed to Sir Richard Woodruff, then to a family named Roberts, and from then to Richard Colchester, a nephew. The descendant and next successor was Duncomb Colchester, who was knighted, and married the daughter of the noted lawyer, Sergeant Maynard. This son and successor built the Wilderness House, in 1710, for himself, and the Market Place at Mitcheldean for his tenants. Sir Robert Woodruff was lord of the manor in 1708. Maynard Colchester, Esq., and Mr. Nathaniel Rudge are now the joint lords of the manor. The room over the Market Place was opened as a Town Hall in April, 1861, having been restored, at a considerable expense, by some of the inhabitants. In early times it was believed that coarse cloth was manufactured here; afterwards, tanning formed the staple trade of the town, which was superseded by a manufactory of pins. A market was granted by a charter of Henry VII., which was held on the Easter Monday and the 12th October annually, but have now become obsolete. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Edward Dighton, B. A., is valued at £176 per annum, with residence and five acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of Mrs. H. Davies, of the Wilderness. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Michael, consisting of nave, chancel, one south and two north aisles, and porch, with tower surmounted by a spire and containing a peal of eight bells, with clofk and a set of chimes, which play every three hours. The restoration of the church was commenced about 1858, and is still being carried on, and since 1860 five handsome stained glass windows have been added. The Independents and Bible Christians have places of worship here, and there is a Free School, which was endowed in 1790 by Mr. and Mrs. Lane; the present school was built by the late rector, on the rectory grounds, and enlarged two years ago to meet the Government requirements. The poor have charitable bequests producing £125 per annum. The rateable value of this parish is £2,418.

Clergy, Gentry, and Private Residents

ABELL John, Esq., Dean house

BEADLES John Nathanial Esq., Bachelor's house

BORLASE Christopher Gulllett, Esq., Hocker hill

BORLASE James John Grenfell, Esq., Hocker hill

BOSSOM Mrs. Silvia, High street

CRACKLOW Mrs. George, Forest cottage

DIGHTON Rev. Charles Edward, B. A., J. P., rector, The Rectory

DIGHTON John, Esq., The Rectory

FRYER Mr. Joseph, Rose cottage

JONES Herbert F., Esq., New street

PEARCE Mrs. Eliza, Platt's row

TYLER Mrs. Ann, Holly cottage

WHATLEY George Lawson, Esq.

WHATLEY Thomas, Esq.

WILLIS Mrs. Georgiana, The Ferns

WINTLE Mrs. Sophia, High street


Trades and Professions

ABELL John, surgeon, Dean house

BARRY Edward, clock and watchmaker, and assistant overseer for the parish of Abinghall, High street

BIGGS Arthur, National schoolmaster, Mill End street

BORLASE AND SON, Solicitors, Hocker Hill

BORLASE Christopher Gullett (firm of Borlase and Son), solicitor, Hocker hill

BORLASE James John Grenfell (firm of Borlase and Son), solicitor, commissioner in Chancery and Common Law, perpetual commissioner for taking acknowledgements of deeds by married women, and agent for Sun Fire and Life Insurance Company, Hocker hill

BOSSOM Miss Lucy Julia, music seller and day school, High street

BOUGHTON John, haulier and seedsman, High street

BRIDGETT Mrs. Elizth., earthenware dealer, High street

BURGUM James, builder and grocer, Hocker hill

CHATE Egbert George, assistant surgeon, Old Court house

COLEMAN George Isaiah, farrier, Townsend

CONSTANCE Samuel, boot and shoemaker, Plump road; h. New street; and at Coleford

COOK Thomas, blacksmith, High street

COOPEY Miss Eliza, day school

DAVIS William, sugar boiler, Mill End st

DAWSON Joseph, grocer, draper, and general dealer, High st

DIGHTON John, solicitor and commissioner in Common Law

DOBBS William, farmer, Court farm

EDWARDS Charles, shopkeeper, High street

ESSEN John, grocer, Rock house, High st

EVANS Mrs. Mary Ann, baker and confectioner, High street

FITZ-MAURICE Wm., secretary and manager for the Lydney and Wigpool Iron Ore Company (Limited), Tusculum house

FUGGLE William M., "Red Lion" inn, High st

GREEN Miss Jane, laundress, New street

GRIFFITHS John, nailmaker, Plump road

HATTON AND LITTLE, drapers, tea dealers, family grocers, corn, flour, and meal factors, High street

HATTON Phineas (firm of Hatton & Little); h. High street

HODGES Alfred, carrier and greengrocer, High street

HUMPHREYS Henry, painter, plumber, and glazier, High street

HYETT Richard, shopkeeper, High street

JONES Herbert F., surgeon, New street

KATHRO James, chemist, stationer, sub-distributor of stamps, and agent for the Gloucestershire Banking Company, High street

LEGG George, grocer, The Cross

LITTLE Edmund, tailor, High street

LITTLE Henry, grocer and coal dealer, High street

LITTLE Henry jnr. (firm of Hatton & Little); h. High street

LLOYD William, carpenter and joiner, Dunstan house

MALLETT William, police sergeant, High st

MANNING George, poulterer, Mill End st

MANNING John, poulterer and butter dealer, High street

MANSELL Joseph, butcher, High street

MEEK James J. B., coal, stone, brick, and manure merchant, High street

MOORE Timothy, "Jovial Colliers" inn, Mill End st

NELMES Henry, farmer, Knockalls farm

PARKES Samuel, hairdresser and razor grinder, High street

PARRY Mrs. Maria, "White Horse" family and commercial hotel, High street

PASK Isaac, boot and shoemaker, High st

PEARCE John, painter, plumber, and glazier, High street

PHILPOT Charles, commercial traveller, Hocker hill

POWELL David, mason and eartheneare dealer, Mill End street

POWELL Thomas, mason and parish clerk, Mill End street

PREECE Mrs. Maria, milliner and draper, High st

PREECE Oliver, grocer, High st

PRICE Joseph, carrier, High street

ROBINSON John, solicitor, and commissioner in Chancery and Common Law, Newnham road

ROSS John, shoemaker, Platt's row

RUDGE Thomas, draper, grocer, corn and provision factor, agent for W. and A. Gilbey's wines and spirits, and licensed to let post horses, High street

SHIPSTON George, Inland Revenue Officer, Townsend

SILLEY John, butcher, High street

SMITH Absalom, baker and sub-postmaster, High street

SMITH James, saddler and harness maker, High street

SPARROW Alfred, baker and corn dealer, High street

SPEAK John, manager of Gas Works

TEAGUE Benjamin, "George" family and commercial hotel and posting house, High street

TROTTER John Birt, grocer, draper, and horse-letter, High street

TYLER Mrs. Jemima, tailoress, Mill End st

ULLETT Alfred, bookkeeper, High st

VIRGO Joseph, boot & shoemaker & leather seller, High st

VIRGO William "Greyhound" inn, High st

WHATLEY AND SON, solicitors

WHATLEY George Lawson (firm of Whatley and Son), solicitor, commissioner in Chancery and Common Law, and perpetual commissioner for taking acknowledgments of deeds by married women

WHATLEY Thomas (firm of Whatley and Son), solicitor

WILLIAMS Thomas, marine store dealer, High street

WINTLE James, shoemaker, Platt's row

WINTLE John, boot and pattern maker, The Cross

WINTLE Thomas, brewer, malster, and miller, Forest Steam Mills and Brewery; h. Forest House

WORKMAN Miss Eliza, shopkeeper, High st


Post Office and Postal Telegraph Office, High street - Absalom Smith, postmaster. Letters through Ross delivered at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 8.15 p.m.; box closes five minutes previously. On Sundays delivery commences at 9.40am; dispatched at 11.30 a.m. Money orders granted and paid, savings bank, annuity and insurance business transacted, and dog and gun licenses issued from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; on Saturdays until 8 p.m.

Postal Telegraph Office - Open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; on Sudnays from 8 to 10 a.m.

Gas Works - James J. B. Meek, secretary; John Speaks, manager

Inland Revenue Office, "Red Lion: inn, High street - George Shipston, officer

Police Station - High street - Wm. Mallett, sergeant

Stamp Office, High street - James Kathro, sub-distributor

Assistant Overseer and Collector of Poor Rates - Thomas Powell

Town Crier - Joseph Mallett

National School - Arthur Biggs, master; Mrs. Maria Biggs, mistress

Great Western Railway Station - (Ross and Hereford Branch), The Lea - William Chinn, stationmaster



Coleford - Alfred Hodges, Thurs.

Gloucester - Alfred Hodges and Joseph Price, Wed. and Sat.

Ruardean - Alfred Hodges, Fri.