Kelly's Directory of Newland 1870
Newland is a pleasant village and extensive parish, 4 miles south-west from Monmouth, 3 from Coleford, and 8 miles from Lydney station on the South Wales Railway, in the Western Division of the county, Saint Briavels hundred, union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of The Forest (South), archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The parish comprises the chapelries of Bream and Coleford, with the tithings of Clearwell, Lea Bailey, and Newland. The church of All Saints is a handsome stone building, having a tower with pinnacles and 6 bells, nave, aisles, chancel, and three side chapels: it was entirely restored in 1862, at an expense of over 4000 pound, and four memorial windows placed there, one to the Du Carcel family, Newland House, one to the Rev. Thomas Birt, and one to Miss Bricksdale, of Birchamp House; there is also one to Lieut. J. P. Brickdale, together with several interesting monuments of the time of Edward 111; there is an organ, and a very beautiful and ancient font. The register dates from the year 1670. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 475 pound, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and held by the Rev. George Rideout, B.C.L., of Balliol College, Oxford. Here is a Grammar school, founded by Mr. Edward Bell in 1627, for twelve free scholars of the parish, or failing these, the foundation is open to any over eight years of age who can read and write; subjects taught, Greek, Latin, and arithmetic; head master, the Rev. Charles Mathew Perkins, M.A., Lincoln College, Oxford: attached to this foundation is an almshouse for 4 men and women: the income of this foundation is 210 pound yearly, arising from 144 acres of land. There are also almshouses for 8 men and 8 women parishoners of Newland, founded in 1615 by Mr. William Jones, citizens of London and haberdasher, and he appointed the Haberdashers' Company to be guardians of the charity: he also founded a Lectureship, to be held by a clergyman, whose duty is to take charge of the almspeople, salary 68 pound: the Haberdashers' Company pay over 200 pound for these purposes. There are also about 34 pound distributed to the poor in money. In the chapelry of Bream are charities to the value of 40 pound distributed to the poor. The Crown is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Capel Phillips, esp., Heath House, Cheadle, Staffordshire: J. Bengough, esq., The Ridge, Wotton-under-Edge: Mrs Palmer, Newland House; The Crown, and Capt. John Henry Dighton, J.P., Newland. The soil is gravelly and loamy; subsoil clay, limestone and sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area of the entire parish is 8,743 acres: gross estimated rental, 19,419 pounds, rateable value, 16,505; the population in 1861 was 5,147.
NEWLAND tithing contained a population in 1861 of 676.
UPPER REDBROOK, 2 miles north-west of Newland, situate partly in the county of Monmouth and parish of Dixton, and LOWER REDBROOK, 2 1/4 miles west, are hamlets.
Parish Clerk, VACANT.
POST OFFICE - James Cox, receiver. Letters from Coleford are delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
Upper Redbrook & Lower Redbrook - Edward Weare, receiver. Letters from Monmouth are delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched at at 6 p.m., except from Nov. 1 to Feb. 28, when they are dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Monmouth.
Grammar, Rev. Chas. Mathew Perkins, M.A., head master.
Parish, Redbrook, Mrs. Ellen Payne, mistress
Gentry and Clergy
BRICKDALE Mrs. Birchamp house
COKE Robert, esp., J.P.
CORBETT, Capt. Richard J. The Dark house
DIGHTON Capt. John Henty, J.P. The Oak house
MATHER Rev. Herbert, M.A. [curate], The Vicarage
PALMER Mrs. Newland house
PERKINS Rev. Charles Mathew, M.A., The Grammar school
RIDOUT Rev. George, B.C.L. [vicar], The Lecturage
TAYLOR Miss, The Cottage
Trades and Professions
BEARD Thomas, farmer, Coxbury farm
COX James, blacksmith, & post office
DUNSCOMBE James, farm baliff to Mrs PALMER, Newland house
HANKINS Wm, farmer, Tanhouse farm
HARRIS James, farmer, Newland farm
HARRIS James, jun. farmer, Glyn farm
LANGHAM Goodrich, deputy gaveller of Dean Forest
POLLEY James, carpenter
PRICE Edwin, farmer, Wye Seal
SAVIDGE Charles, farmer, Mill end
TAYLOR Bennet, farmer, Mill end
TAYLOR Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Mill end
TAYLOR Thomas, farmer, Valley farm
VOYCE, John William, Ostrich inn
WORGAN John, farmer, Cherry Orchard farm
ADAMS John, carpenter & wheelwright
BURGHAM Eliza (Mrs.), brewer & malster
BURGHAM Thomas, iron founder
COURTEEN Thomas, corn, flour, & hop merchant & malster
DAVIS Mary (Mrs.), miller
GROVES James, grocer
MOORE Theophilus, miller
PAYNE Henry, wheelwright & blacksmith
BEARD James, Bell inn
BEARD Sarah (Mrs.), King's Head
HUDSON John, shopkeeper & timber mer.
Redbrook Tin Plate Co. (Charles Frederick Medhurst, resident manager)
WALTERS George, farmer, Highbury farm