newnham1837

 

Robson's Commercial Directory of

Newnham 1837

 

A market town and parish in the hundred of Westbury, county of Gloucester, 11 and a half miles W.S.W. from Gloucester, and 116 W. from London, containing 1012 inhabitants. This town appears to have originated in a ford over the river Severn, formed by a ridge of rocks and a sand-bank, the shifting of which latter in 1802, rendered the river no longer fordable. The town is situated on the western bank of the river, which is navigable, and across which there is a ferry to Arlingham. A harbour for vessels of 150 tons burden was constructed about 80 years ago, and some coasting trade is carried on, though the difficult navigation of the river near the town has contributed to lessen its commerce, much of which has been transferred to a port a few miles to the south, called Gatcombe. A verdigris manufactory, and ship building, afford employment to some of the inhabitants; and at Aylesford in this parish, are large forges for working iron, and making iron wire; there being in the neighbourhood extensive iron and coal mines, and the carriage of their produce being facilitated by the Bullo Pit Railway, which passes from the marble works on the Severn, southward of the town, into the Forest of Dean, through a tunnel 1060 yards in extent and also by the Berkeley Canal. The market, now very inconsiderable, is on Friday; and fairs are held on the 11th June, and 18th of October. The government was vested in a mayor and burgesses in the reign of Edward I., but there are now few relics of its former importance, except a sword of state, said to have been the gift of King John; two constables locally termed beams, are appointed, but until the beginning of the present century, the inhabitants annually celebrated the election of a mayor and six aldermen. The Lord of the Manor holds a court leet yearly, and petty sessions for the Forest of Dean are held here and at Woolaston alternately. Newnham was returned as one of the five boroughs in Gloucestershire, on a mandate from the crown, in the 9th of Edward I., and is said formerly to have sent two members to Parliament. The living is a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, and in the patronage of the mayor and corporation of that city. The church which is dedicated to St. Peter, stands on a cliff near the river.

 

Name, Residence, & Profession

ASHFORD Joseph, Saddler

BARNARD Mary Ann, Draper & Grocer

BIDDINGTON Edw., Tiler and Plasterer

BIDDINGTON Wm., Tiler, Plasterer & Beer Retailer

BISP Daniel, Broad Oak, Boarding School

BOWYER James, Beer retailer

BROWN William, Draper, Grocer & Cheese factor

BULLOCK Thomas, Attorney, Solicitor, Master extraordinary in Chancery, and one of the Perpetual Commissioners

CANNOCK Geo., Draper & Grocer

CLAYFIELD Elizabeth, Cooper

CLIFFORD James, Saddler & Rope Maker

COLLINS Rev. Robt., Boarding & Day School

DOBBS William, Lamb and Flag

ELTON Elijah, Boot & Shoemaker

FRYER William, Stationer & Bookseller

GLOUCESTERSHIRE BANKING COMPANY, Draw upin Jones, Lloyd & Co., S. R. Strode, Esq., Manager

GREEN James, Carpenter

GREENING William, Beer retailer

HARRISON Mary, The Union

HILL James, Butcher

HOBBS Thomas, Blacksmith

HOLDER Elizabeth, Blacksmith

HOOK John, Cabinet Maker

HOOPER Thomas, Butcher

HUNT John, Broad Oak, Ship Builder

HUNT Wm. H., Surgeon

JAMES & SON, Attorneys & Solicitors

JONES John, Anchor

KNOWLES George, Wine & Spirit merchant

KARN James, Ale & Porter stores

KING Geo., Boot & Shoe Maker

LUCAS John & Thomas, Attorneys & Solicitors

LUCAS John, Master extraordinary in Chancery

MERRICK Charles, Carpenter

MERRICK Richard, Carpenter

MORGAN John, Lower George, & Baker

MORSE Elizabeth, Beer retailer

MORSE Henry, Butcher

NEWNHAM CORN COMPANY, Messrs. Taylor, Brown, Strode, Letcher, James, & Goold

ORCHARD Wm. D., Victoria family & commercial Hotel & posting house

PARSONS Joseph, Stocking weaver

PERRIN Sarah, Shopkeeper

PHILIPS J. T., Surgeon

PHILLPOTTS Joseph, Druggist, Tea dealer & Stamp Office

PLAYSTEAD William, Watch and Clock maker

POWELL James, Book and Shoe Maker

ROBERTS Edward, Tinplate worker

ROBERTS James, Ironmonger

ROBERTS Joseph, Baker

ROBERTSON J. M., Bear family and commercial hotel & posting house & passnge house

RUSSELL Elizabeth, Shopkeeper

RUSSELL Richard, George

RYDER Wm. & Thos., Spirit merchant

SHORTMAN Samuel, Watch, Clock and Cabiner Maker

SMITH _, Chemist and druggist

STRODE S. R., Clerk to the Board of Guardians

SWAYNE AND TAYLOR, Bark merchants

TAYLOR John, Tanner

THOMSON Thomas S., Surgeon

WILLIS James, Ship and Excise Officer

WELLINGTON H., Boot and Shoemaker

WHITE Richard, Tailor

Post Office - James Powell, Post Master.

Fire and Life Assurance Agents:-

Britannia Life - Thomas Bullock

Crown - J. T. Philips

Phoenix - S. R. Strode

Sun - Thomas Lucas

Back