Preston near Ledbury 1876
PRESTON near LEDBURY, is a parish and village in Newent union, containing, by the census of 1861, 78, and in 1871, 82 inhabitants, and 850 acres; in the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, West Gloucestershire; 3 miles south-west from Gloucester, on the turnpike road from Newent to Leominster. It was anciently owned by a religious order, hence the name, which is derived from Priest Town. The Vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Alfred Newton, M.A., is valued at £140 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of the diocese. The church is a small ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with low turret containing two bells. The Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol is lord of the manor and owner of the soil.
NEWTON Rev. Alfred, M.A., The Vicarage
Trades and Professions
BOSLEY Thomas, farmer, High house
DREW William, farmer, White house
HARTLAND William, farmer, Preston court
SPENCER Caleb, farmer, Velt house
TURNER George, blacksmith
Letters through Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office.