RUARDEAN is a village and parish, on the Herefordshire border, and bounded on the west by the river Wye, 2 and a half miles south-east from Kerne Bridge station on the Hereford, Ross and Newport section of the Great Western Railway, 5 south from Ross, 7 and a half north-east from Newnham, 9 north-east from Monmouth and 6 north-east from Coleford, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, hundred of St. Briavels, petty sessional division of Newnham, county court district and union of Ross, rural deanery of South Forest and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester.
Col. Francis Baynham Vaughan, of Courtfield, Ross, Herefordshire, is lord of the manor, and Robert Holme Storey esq. M. A., J. P. of Bishopswood House, Walford, is the principal land owner. The soil is sandy ; subsoil, red limestone. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The area is 1,619 acres of land and 11 of water: rateable value, £4,700; the population in 1911 was 1,273 in the civil and 1,091 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By Local Government Board Order 14,628, Mar. 24. 1884, a detached part of Newland was transferred to Ruardean for civil purposes.
Parish Clerk - John Harper
Post. M. O. & T. Office - Thomas William Lewis, sub-postmaster. Letters from Mitcheldean, Glos. are delivered at 7.10 a.m. & 12.45 pm : dispatched, 8.45 a.m. & 4.50 & 6.35 p.m. : no delivery on Sundays.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1872, for 247 children; average attendance, 155 boys & girls & 66 infants; Lawrence William High, master; Miss E. A. Moss, infants' mistress.
Territorial Force:- 1st Battalion Herefordshire Regiment (E Co.), Capt. Llewellyn B. Green; William Jones, sergt-instructor.
(Marked thus * letters through Lydbroo, Ross, Herefordshire)
BALDWIN Ivo William, J. P., Oakleigh
BRYANT George Herbert, Drybrook
*CLAYTON Admiral Francis Starkie, Wyelands
EVANS Joseph Penn, The Laurels
MILES Thomas George, Melvill house
PARNELL Rev. Edward L. L. B. Lond., Rectory
ROBINS Mrs., The Cottage
THOMPSON Edward, Hillside
THOMPSON Joseph Evans
BALDWIN Ivo William J. P. assistant overseer, Oaleigh
BASERVILLE Edward, Bell inn
BENNETT Aubrey, butcher
BENNETT Edwin Cornelius M. Angel P. H.
BRAIN Tom, farmer, Drybrook
CHIVERS Albert, farmer, Hill farm
CHIVERS Joseph, grocer
DAWE William & John Richards, farmers, Park farm
DREW Charles Gilbert, Malt Shovel inn
FISHER Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
GIBBS John, beer retailer
GRIFFITHS James, farmer, Barrel hill
HARPER Leonard, boot & shoe maer
HOLMES Thomas, painter
*JONES Richard, farmer, timber merchant & wood turner
JONES William, sergeant instructor to E Co. 1st Territorial Force Batt. Herefordshire Regiment.
KNIGHT Frederick, shopkeeper
LEWIS Albert, blacksmith
LINLEY Walter John, carpenter
MATTHEWS Arthur, farmer
MATTHEWS Ernest, butcher
MILES Thomas George L. S. A. physician & surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, Ruardean & Hope Mansell, Ross Union.
MOORE Tom, quarry owner
NELMES Alfred, farmer
PALFREY Frederick, Rose-in-Hand P. H.
PREECE Solomon, butcher
RAWLINGS Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper
*SHELDON William, gardener to Admiral F. S. Clayton
THOMPSON Lydia, shopkeeper
WEBB Richard, shopkeeper
WILCE Ernest, butcher