with the Hamlets of Beachley, Sedbury, Bishton,
Church End, Stroat, and Wibdon.
TIDENHAM is a parish and village, distant rather more than 2 miles east-by-north from Chepstow, and 14 south-west from Newnham, in the Western division of the county, Westbury hundred, Chepstow union and county court district, Forest rural deanery, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol diocese. Tidenham stands on a narrow peninsula, with the Wye on one side, and the broad Severn on the other, and just below Cockshoot Hill. The church of St. Peter is an ancient stone building in the Middle Pointed style, and consists of a tower with 6 bells, a nave, Early English north aisle, chancel, porch, organ, old Norman font, completely perfect, said to be of the eleventh century, made of lead, and curiously carved: the large east and a small south windows of the chancel are filled with richly stained glass, representing events in the life of Our Lord; and a beautiful memorial window is placed in the north aisle to the memory of the Rev. H. C. Morgan by his son T. H. Morgan, esq., of Tidenham House: the fittings and adornments of the whole interior are chaste and handsome. The register dates from the year 1708. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about £400, with residence and 108 acres of glebe land, chiefly woodland, in the gift of D. Higford Burr, esq., and held by the Rev. Percy Burd, M. A., of University College, Durham. The Cliff school, built at the sole expense of the Misses Phillips, in now wholly maintained by them. There are three National Schools, two of which are under Government inspection, supported by voluntary contributions. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, and a small reading room for Independents. There are charities of £22 yearly value, which are applied for church and educational purposes. The Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, Thomas Henry Morgan, esq., George Ormerod, esq., Selwyn Wilson, esq., William Seys, esq., and F. Hammond, esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, &c. The area is 5,875 acres; gross estimated rental, £11,648; rateable value, £9,509, and the population in 1861 was 1,661.
BEACHLEY, 3 and a quarter miles distant, a hamlet and ecclesiastical district, formed in 1850. The church of St. John, which was erected in 1833, is a plain, substantial edifice, built of Beachley stone, and consists of nave, aisles and chancel with bell cot. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £70, in the gift of the vicar of Tidenham, and held by the Rev. John Hele Ash, M. A. The population of this district in 1861 was 188.
Letters are received through Chepstow, delivered at 8 a.m. & 11 a.m.; dispatched at 6.40 p.m. & 12 p.m. on Sunday.
Infant School, Beachley, Jane Farr, mistress.
SEDBURY, distant about 2 miles; Bishton and Church End, 1 mile; Stroat and Wibdon, 2 miles, are also hamlets in the parish. There is a chapel of ease (St. Luke's) at Tutshill, about 1 mile and a quarter from the parish church. On the banks of the Wye, and not far distant, are Tintern Abbey, Raglan Castle, Piercefield Views, Chepstow Castle, Usk, Caldecot, and Roman baths, &c., excavated at Caerwent.
Parish Clerk, Daniel Tyler, Woodcroft.
Post Office - Mrs. Mary Thomas, receiver, Tutshill. Letters arrive from Chepstow at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Chepstow.
Church End - Charles Whimhurst, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Chepstow at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.
Police Station, Woodcroft, Bishton, George Cook, sergeant.
Schools - Tidenham, Arthur Long, master. St. Luke's, Miss Annie Henfrey, mistress. Tidenham Chase, Miss Eliza Moody, mistress.
BOSANQUET Capt, Ashberry
BURD Rev. Percy, B. A. [vicar], Vicarage
CHURCHYARD Henry, esq., Chase farm
MORGAN Thos. Henry, esq., Tidenham ho.
SELLON Rev. Edmund, M. A. [curate], Caerwood
WILLIAMS Dr. Ivy, Rock cottage
DOWARD Alfred, farmer, Day house
HALL Chas. Mayor, farmer, Rosemary cot.
HUNT James, farmer, Wallop farm
KEENE Richard, farmer, Pill House farm
PRICE Henry, shop keeper
PRIOR Edward, farmer, Chelton elm
RYMER Catharine (Mrs.), farmer, Philpot court
RYMER James, farmer
BARROW Misses, Rye cottage
BEDFORD Col. James, Stoulgrove house
LINDAM Major Charles James, Vale cot.
PALMER Rev. Feilding, M. A., East cliff
PEAKE Richard, esq., Wirewoods green
PERCEVAL William, esq., Prettyhedge cot.
PHILLIPS Misses, Penmoyle house
SMART Mr. John, Oak cliff
ALLWOOD Albert, beer retailer & butcher
BAKER Sarah (Mrs.), Hope & Anchor
BAYLIS John, farmer, Oakfield ho.
CHAPPELL Edward, New Inn
EDMONDS Henry, grocer
FRYER John, teacher of music
GLYNN Thomas, gardener, Old Bishton
PRICE George, boot & shoe maker
PRICE John, shopkeeper & assist. overseer
RYMER John, farmer, Bishton farm
SMITH George, carpenter, Woodcroft
WILLETT Betty (Mrs.), farmer, Rye farm
RICHARDS John, carpenter, Cross hill
HIGGINS Charles, esq., Strout house
BUTLER William, blacksmith
HALL Charles, farmer
LANSDOWNE William, blacksmith
PARKER Richard, boot & shoe maker
RICHARDS William, carpenter
RYMER John P., farmer, Stroat farm
TURNER Abraham, George & Dragon
TURNER George, machine man
ORMEROD George, esq., D. L., Sedbury pk
PREWETT Thomas, farmer
PROSSER John, farmer, Pennsylvania
RUGMAN John, farmer
RUGMAN Samuel, farmer, Badhams ct.
EVANS Thomas, esq., Tutshill lodge
GEE Mr. Henry
SEYS William Aeneas, esq., J. P., Tutshill house
DAVIS Thos., Cross Keys & quarryman
EVANS Thomas, solicitor
HORT Abraham, farmer, Tutshill farm
IVINS John, butcher
MORRIS Thos., carpenter & wheelwright
PITT Frederick, blacksmith
PRITCHARD James, beer retailer & wheelwright
SARGENT Thomas, grocer
WATKINS Ann (Mrs.), lodging house
WOOD Edmund Fowle, land agent
BIDDLE Hugh, farmer, High hall
JOYCE William, farmer, Hanley house
RYMER James, farmer, Wibdon farm
ASH Rev. John Hele, M. A. [vicar]
JENKINS Robert Castle, esq., J. P., Beachley lodge
WILLIAMS Mrs. Ann
SANEGAR Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
SAUNDERS Philip, Salmon inn
TRAYHERN James, fisherman
WILLIAMS Thomas Peachey, farmer