Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of

West Dean 1876



DEAN (WEST) is an extensive township, formed out of the extra parochial district of the Forest of Dean, under the powers of the 5 and 6 Victoria, c. 48, in Monmouth union, containing, by the census of 1861, 8254, and in 1871, 9591 inhabitants, and an area of 10,085 acres, of which, however, only 1,318 are under cultivation; it is in the southern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of St. Briavels, West Gloucestershire. The ecclesiastical districts or parishes of Christ Church and St. Paul's embrace the greater portion of the township, the former including the hamlets of BERRY HILL (UPPER), BROADWELL, LANE END, CANNOP, EDGE END, FIVE ACRES, HILLERSLAND, JOYFORD, LONK, MIREY-STOCK, and SHORTSTANDING, containing, by the census of 1871, 1928 inhabitants, and 3149 acres; and the latter comprising the hamlets of COALWAY LANE END, ELLWOOD, FUTTERHILL, MOSELEY GREEN, PARKEND, PILLOWELL, WHITECROFT, and YORKLEY, containing by the census of 1871, 3814 inhabitants and 4676 acres of land. A portion of the north-west corner of the parish is included in the ecclesiastical district of Holy Jesus, Lydbrook. The south-east corner, including the hamlets of OLDCROFT, YORKLEY, SLADE, and part of VINEY HILL, is included in the ecclesiastical district of ALL SAINTS', VINEY HILL, EAST DEAN; another portion including the hamlets of CLEARWELL and MESNE, are included in the ecclesiastical district of St. Peter, Clearwell.

This township, with the adjoining one of East Dean, comprise the greater part of the Royal Forest of Dean, which from time immemorial has been famed for its extensive Iron and Coal Mines, and there is no doubt that they wre worked by the Romans; the Scowles near Bream, and the Caves on Doward Hill being believed to be conclusive evidences of the fact. The Rev. H. G. Nicholls (a former incumbent of Holy Trinity, East Dean) in his very valuable and interesting work "The Forest of Dean," says: - "Beyond the inference of remote antiquity, which we naturally draw from the fact of their presenting no trace of the use of any kind of machinery, or of gunpowder, of the display of any mining skill, we may cite the unanimous opinion of the neighbourhood that they owe their origin to the predecessors of that peculiar order of operatives known as the "Free Miners of the Forest of Dean," a view which is confirmed by the authentic history of the district. But the numerous Roman relics found deeply buried in the prodigious accumulations of iron cinders, once so abundant here as to have formed an important part of the materials supplied to the furnaces of the Forest, afford proof that the Iron Mines were in existence as early as the commencement of the Christian era; so that the openings we now see are the results of many centuries of mining operations, with which their extent, number, and size perfectly accord. "There are," writes Mr. Wyrrall, in his valuable M. S. on the ancient Iron Works of the Forest, dated in the year 1780, "deep in the earth vast caverns, scooped out by men's hands, and large as the aisles of churches; and on its surface are entensive labyrinths, worked among the rocks, and now long since over-grown with woods; which, whosoever traces them must see with astonishment, and incline to think them to have been the work of armies rather than of private labourer. They certainly were the toil of many centuries, and this perhaps before they thought of searching in the bowels of the earth for their ore - whither, however, they at length naturally pursued the veins, as they found them to be exhausted near the surface." Such were the remains as they existed in his day of the original Iron Mines of this locality; and except where modern operations have obliterated them, such they continue to the present time.

There is a difficulty in determining which is to be considered the earliest allusion to the working of coal in the Forest, since charcoal, as well as sea or pit coal was thus indifferently designated; not that the latter was carried by sea, but only that it agreed in character with the coal usually so conveyed. The first notice seems, however, to be that supplied by the records of the Justice Seat, held at Gloucester, in 1282, where it stated that sea coal was claimed by six of the ten bailiffs of the Forest of Dean.

The appellation of 'Sea Coal Mine' as distinguished from the 'Ore Mines' mentioned in the 29th section of "The Laws and Customs of the Miners, in the Forest of Dean," compiled about the year 1800, likewise proves that sea coal was known by name, and that a description of fuel closely resembling it was then dug in this neighbourhood to an extent entitling it to be noticed 'as free in all points' with the long celebrated iron ore, that is constituting the collier a free miner.

The original methods of getting coal in the locality, probably conformed to the modes then used for obtaining the iron ore, the veins of both minerals showing themselves on the surface much in the same manner. So that it is probable the old coal workings, like those for iron, descended only to a moderate depth, and for the same reason were frequently carried on by driving leves, for which the position of several of the coal seams was highly favorable.

Writing upon the subject of the Forest Colleries, about the year 1779, Mr. Rudder remarks in his History of the County: - "The pits are not deep, for when the miners find themselves much incommoded with water, they sink a new one, rather than erect a fire engine, which might answer the expense very well, yet there is not one of them in all this division. They have indeed two or three pumps worked by cranks, that in some measure answer the intention."

"The number of coal works in the Forest at the close of 1856, was 221, yielding in that year to the public use upwards of 460,432 tons."

The quantity of coal raised for the six months ending December 31st, 1874, was 3380,869 tons, and of iron ore, for the same period, 50,164 tons.



BERRY HILL is a scattered hamlet, partly in this township and partly in the parish of Newland, the latter portion forming a suburb of the town of Coleford, and about 1 1/2 mile north from that place. The vicarage, in the incumbancy of the Rev. William Henry Taylor, B. A., is valued at £167 per annum, arising from land and Queen Anne's Bounty, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to Our Saviour, was at first built and used as a school, in 1812, being the first school erected in the Forest, but in 1816 it was converted into a church, and was the first church belonging to the establishment consecrated in the Forest; it is a plain structure, consisting of nave and tower and one bell. New schools were erected, which have accommodation for 275 children. The Primitive Methodists have a neat chapel at Five Acres.

BREAM EAVES is a hamlet, also very much scattered, adjoining the village of Bream, which is in Newland parish and including Bream Green, Bream Mesne, and Bream Woodside. There are good National Schools here, with house for the master attached. The Bible Christians have a very commodious chapel, which was erected in 1851, and enlarged in 1859. The Primitive Methodist was built in 1858, and the Wesleyan Chapel in 1860.

BROADWELL LANE END, COALWAY LANE END, LITTLEDEAN LANE END, and MITCHELDEAN LANE END form a hamlet, partly in Christ Church district, and partly in St. Paul's. There is a good National School here, erected in 1864, with a house for the master, it is in connection with Christ Church, and divine service is held in it every Sunday.

ELLWOOD is a small hamlet, in which the Primitive Methodists have just erected a neat chapel. There is also a Mission Chapel here, in connection with St. Peter's Church, Clearwell, in which divine service is celebrated every Sunday afternoon by the vicar of Clearwell.

LYDBROOK is a large hamlet, partly in this township and partly in that of East Dean, and partly in the parishes of English-Bicknor, Newland, and Ruardean, and is given seperately.

MILKWALL is a small hamlet and Station on the Coleford branch of the Severn and Wye Railway.

PARKEND is the most important and populous hamlet in the township, and has a Station on the Severn and Wye Railway; it is distant 8 1/2 miles south-east from Coleford, 4 and a half north-west from Lydney, 14 south from Ross, and 16 north-east from Chepstow. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Joseph Ebsworth, M. A., is valued at 170 pound per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of the diocese. The church dedicated to St. Paul, is a handsome octagonal edifice, erected in 1822; it is built of Forest stone, and has a square tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell - it has a very picturesque appearance, being situate on a hill. A new burial-ground in connection with the church was opened in 1862. There are very large Iron and Tin-Plate Works here, carried on by a Limited Liability Company, which with the Mines and Colleries in connection therewith, give employment to about 600 hands; a quantity of iron produced is largely used for the manufacture of Bessemer steel rails, and best brands of tin-plates. There are three blast furnaces, with all modern appliances, such as utilising waste gas, &c., and capable of producing 600 tons of pig iron per week. The Iron Ore raised in this district is of excellent quality, being a calcareous hematite, yielding from 80 to 40 percent metallic iron. At the Tim-plate department there are facilities for producing from 700 to 800 boxes of tin plates of the best quality. There is a National School for children of both sexes, with residence, which is partly supported by an annual grant from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, and partly by contributions. The Baptists have a chapel, built in 1869, of Forest stone, and capable of holding about 250 persons. The Wesleyans also have a place of worship here. The Independents have a small chapel at Moseley Green, and the Primitive Methodists one at Coalway Lane End.

VINEY HILL is a small hamlet, partly in this township and partly in East Dean, in which the Primitive Methodists have a small place of worship. The church and schools are in the East Dean portion of the hamlet.

WHITECROFT is a hamlet with a Station on the Severn and Wye Railway, 5 miles from Coleford, and 8 miles from Lydney. There are Collieries, Chemical Works, Stone Quarries, and a Patent Fuel Manufactory here. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here, which was erected in 1874.

YORKLEY is a somewhat populous hamlet, 5 miles from Coleford, and 3 from Lydney, the houses of which lie scattered on the side of a hill in very irregular order. The Baptists have a chapel here, which was erected in 1868. The Primitive Methodists have also a small place of worship, and the Bible Christians have a Chapel at Yorkley Slade. The rateable value of this parish is £22,320.




THOMAS Mr. Charles


Trades and Professions

BARBER James, shoemaker

BARBER John, tailor, Bream Green

BATTEN Thomas, shoemaker and parish clerk for Bream, Bream Green

BILLY Thomas, beer retailer, Bream Mesne

DICKSON Augustus, National schoolmaster, Bream Green

DUNNING Robert N., colliery proprietor, Princess Royal Colliery

GOULTON AND FOWLER, colliery proprietors, Flour Mill Colliery - John M. Protheroe, manager

GREAT WESTERN IRON COMPANY (Limited), iron mine proprietors, Noxon and Kingsmoor Mines - George Jarrett, manager

HAINES James, blacksmith

JAMES Joseph, shopkeeper, Bream Mesne

JAMES William, iron ore proprietor, Oakwood Deep Level Iron Mines

JARRETT George, manager of Kingsmoor Iron Mines

JENKINS Samuel, coal proprietor, Knockley Tump Colliery

JONES Charles, wheelwright and carpenter

JONES John, haulier

KEAR Thomas, butcher, Bream Tump

MERRY Henry, Chemical Works Manager, Oakwood

MINCHIN Miss Ellen Priscilla, grocer and draper, Bream woodside

MORGAN Edward, painter, plumber, and glazier

PAYNE William, shoemaker, Bream Woodside

PHIPPS John, beer retailer

SHINGLES John "King's Head" inn, Bream Woodside

SIMPSON James, coal proprietor

SKIPP George, colliery manager

SMITH George, stone proprietor, Woodlands

SMITH William, grocer, draper, and butcher

TROTTER James, chemical manufacturer, Oakwood Chemical Works - Henry Merry, manager

WILDIN AND HATHAWAY, limeburners, Breams Mesne

WILDIN Richard, jun., beer retailer, Bream Mesne


Lydney is the post town and nearest telegraph office, and Bream is the nearest money order office.

National School, Bream Green - Augustus Dickson, master; Mrs. Mary Dickson, mistress; Miss Selina Durnell, infant's mistress.




PRATT Mrs. Elizabeth


Trades and Professions

ASTON James, colliery manager, Edge End

BENNETT Henry, shopkeeper, Mitcheldean Lane End

GWYNN James, beer retailer

HALE Henry, colliery manager, Mitcheldean Lane End

HOLMES AND CO., colliery proprietors, New Road Colliery - James Aston, manager

LAVER Marmaduke, clerk, Perch lodge

LEWIS Oliver, colliery proprietor, Thatch Colliery - John Watson, manager

MARLIN Mrs. Mary, beer retailer

MARTIN Enoch, baker and shopkeeper

MILES Thomas, haulier and farmer, "Royal Forest" inn, Mitcheldean Lane End

MORGAN Thomas, blacksmith, Mitcheldean Lane End

OLDLAND George, stone proprietor

ROBERTS Benjamin, shopkeeper

RUSSELL AND SON, colliery proprietors, Speedwell colliery - Henry Hale, manager

SHOWELL William A., National Schoolmaster

SMITH Edward, butcher and grocer

SMITH William, haulier, Barn hill

TAYLOR James, marine store dealer

TROTTER THOMAS AND CO., colliery proprietors, Hopewell and Wimbelow Collieries - Thomas Brown, manager

National School - William A. Showell, master; Miss Priscilla Showell, infant's mistress




Clergy and Gentry

SMITH Mr. David Jones, Five Acres

TAYLOR Rev. William Henry, B. A., vicar, The Vicarage


Trades and Professions

ADDIS Thomas, beer retailer, Five Acres

AMBREY Timothy, stone proprietor, Shortstanding

ASTON Richard, butcher, Upper Berry Hill

BEACH Peter, shopkeeper, Upper Berry Hill

CANNOP CHEMICAL CO., chemical manufacturers, Cannop

CULLIS Mrs. Eliza, shopkeeper, Joyford Hill

DAVIES Benjamin, farmer and coal proprietor, Five Acres

EBBORN William, haulier, Shortstanding

FOX George, shopkeeper, Joyford

GODWIN Edward, beer retailer, Upper Berry Hill

GWILLIAM Edwin, shopkeeper, Upper Berry Hill

GWILLIAM James, grocer, "Rock" inn, Hillersland

GWILLIAM Milson, shoemaker, Upper Berry Hill

HARRIS John, shopkeeper and haulier, Lonk

HARRISON Mrs. Charlotte, beer retailer, Joyford

HUGHES Shadrach, coal proprietor & beer retailer, Joyford

HUGHES Shadrach, jun., baker and shopkeeper, Five Acres

JONES James, monumental mason and sculptor, Bridewell

JONES Richard, horse trainer, Hillersland

KEMEYS Robert, shoemaker, Bridewell

MAPP John, carpenter & wheetwright, Bridewell

MORGAN Thomas, haulier, Joyford Hill

SHORT John, haulier and farmer, Whitehall

SHORT John jun., "New" inn, Shortstanding

STEPHENS Isaiah, shoemaker and shopkeeper, Shortstanding

TEAGUE Edward, jun., haulier, Upper Berry Hill

TEAGUE Thomas, haulier and farmer, Joyford

TEAGUE William, shopkeeper, Upper Berry Hill

TILLING Thomas, haulier, Upper Berry Hill

TOMLINS George, beer retailer, Shortstanding

TOOBY Francis John, shopkeeper, Hillersland

WALKER William E., National Schoolmaster, School House

WATSON John, colliery manager, Lonk

WILKS George, travelling tea dealer, Edge End

YOUNG Henry, stone proprietor, Bridewell

YOUNG James, "Rising Sun" inn, Five Acres


Letters through Coleford. Wall Letter Box, Upper Berry Hill - cleared at 6.45 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Coleford.

National School, Upper Berry Hill - William E. Walker, master; Mrs. Harriet Louisa Walker, infant's mistress.




Trades and Professions

ATKINSON George, iron ore proprietor, Old Bow Mine

DOWARD John, grocer and draper

FOREST OF DEAN IRON COMPANY (Limited), iron ore proprietors, Dun Pit and Scar Pit Mines - Solomon Jones, manager

FRYER William Henry, iron ore proprietor, Sling pit

HOARE Henry, shopkeeper, Marsh lane

HOWELL Miss Martha M., shopkeeper

MORSE Henry, haulier, Ellwall

MORSE Richard, tiler and plasterer, Clement's end

NASH Job, haulier, Marsh lane

WATKINS William Henry, beer retailer

WILLIAMS Joseph, stone proprietor and grocer, Clement's end




Trades and Professions

ASTON William, beer retailer

BAGLIN Mrs. Mary Maria, beer retailer

BAKER James, mason

GREEN Joseph, tailor

MILES William, clerk

MORGAN Richard, haulier, Gorsty knoll

ROBERTS James, stone proprietor

SMITH Amos, beer retailer

SMITH John, grocer

SYMONDS Edmund, wheelwright

WATKINS Arthur, clerk and shopkeeper, Palmer's flat

WHITTINGTON Ben, family grocer, corn and provision merchant, baker, linen and woollen draper and outfitter, Forest Tea Warehouse

WHITTINGTON Wm., chemical works manufacturer

Letters through Coleford. Wall letter box cleared at 7 p.m. on week-days only.



TAYLOR Mrs. Mary

Trades & Professions

BALL William, haulier

BLANCH Thomas, carpenter

BLANCH William, farmer and haulier

DAVIS Thomas, stone proprietor, Dark hill

FOREST OF DEAN IRON COMPANY (Limited), iron ore proprietors, China Engine Mines - Solomon Jones, manager

JOHNSON James, clerk, Bromley lodge

LAWRENCE Miss Susannah Maria, day school

NASH William, haulier and farmer

SELBY John, coal proprietor, Drybrook

TAYLOR John, stone proprietor, Drybrook

WILLIAMS Joseph, stone proprietor and grocer, Drybrook house



Trades and Professions

BROOKS George Henry, blacksmith

BROWN James, beer retailer

CARTER John "George" inn

COLEFORD COAL COMPANY, colliery proprietors, Dark Hill Colliery

DIBBIN Harry, shopkeeper

WANKLYN AND GRINDELL, firebrick and tile makers



Trades and Professions

COLE James Stafford, baker


GRINDELL James (firm of Wanklyn and Grindell), The Futterill; h. Fairview cottage

HORWOOD Geo., beer retailer and shopkeeper

POWELL Amos, haulier, Mare fold



Clergy and Gentry

CAMPBELL Sir James, Bart., J. P. (deputy surveyor of the Forest of Dean), Whitemead park

CURRY John, Esq., M. D.

EBSWORTH Rev. John Joseph, M. A., vicar, The Vicarage

Trades and Professions

BELCHER George, furnace manager, Parkend cottage

BLANCH James Wintle, colliery manager, Oaklands house

BOYCE John W., "Speech House" commercial and family hotel and posting house, Gloucester road

CURRIE John, M. D., and surgeon

EDWARDS Mrs Mary, "British Lion" inn

ELSMORE John, "Fountain" inn

FOREST OF DEAN COAL MINING COMPANY (Limited), colliery proprietors, New Engine Colliety, Moseley Green - Isaac James, manager

FOREST OF DEAN IRON COMPANY (Limited), iron and tinplate manufacturers, Parkend Iron and Tinplate Works - Geo. Belcher, manager

FROWEN William, shoemaker

GUNTER Henry, parish clerk

HAINES James, blacksmith

HARRY John, beer retailer, Moseley Green

HATHAWAY Henry William, clerk

HUGHES James, timber merchant and steam saw mills proprietor

JAMES Isaac, colliery manager, Moseley Green

JONES John, butcher

JONES Philip, baker, grocer, corn, provision, and general merchant, linen and woollen draper, and sub-postmaster, Cheapside house; and at Bream and Yorkley

JONES Richard, "New Inn", and commercial hotel

JONES Solomon, colliety and iron mines manager

LEWIS George, shopkeeper

PARKEND COAL COMPANY, colliery proprietor - James Wintle Blanch, manager

PAYNE Edwin R., steam stone saw mills proprietor, Parkend Saw mills

POWELL Milson, beer retailer and haulier

REES BROTHERS, machinists

SMITH Joseph, police constable

SMITH William, National schoolmaster

THOMAS John, stationmaster

THOMAS William, farmer and haulier, York lodge

Post Office - Philip Jones, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lydney delivered at 8.50 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m., on week-days only. Money orders issued and paid, and savings bank and Inland Revenue business transacted from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Coleford is the nearest telegraph office.

Police Station - Joseph Smith, constable

National School - William Smith, master; Mrs. Janet Smith, sewing mistress; Miss Sarah Ann Lloyd, assistant mistress

Severn and Wye Railway Station (Junction with Coleford branch - John Thomas, stationmaster

Severn and Wye Railway Station, Speech House road - Arthur Kear, stationmaster



Thomas Mr. Henry, Viney cottage

Trades and Professions

EDWARDS George, "Albion" inn

JOHNSON Edward, carpenter & joiner

TURLEY Edward, mason

WARREN Joseph, farmer



Trades and Professions

ASHBOURNE Albert Joseph, scripture reader

BENGALL Charles, haulier, Park Hill

BRITISH AND FOREIGH PATENT FUEL COMPANY (Limited), patent fuel manufacturers - William Nicholson, secretary

FOREST OF DEAN IRON COMPANY (Limited), iron ore proprietors, Park Hill Mines - Solomon Jones, manager

GEORGE William, shoemaker

GRIFFITHS Thomas, stationmaster

HOOK Thomas, beer retailer

JAMES Benjamin, colliety manager

JORDAN Charles, shoemaker

KEAR Thomas, "Miner's Arms" inn

MORGAN Thomas, beer retailer

MORGANS AND CO., wood distillers and chemical manufacturers, Whitecroft Chemical Works

MORSE Thomas, miller Whitecroft mills

MORSE William, haulier

NICHOLSON William, A. S. A., public accountant and secretary to the British and Foreigh Patent Fuel Co., (Limited); and to the Flour Mill Colliery Company

PHIPPS James and William, colliery proprietors, Phipps Pillowell Colliety

PROTHEROE John M., colliery manager, Park villa

RAFFILLS Charles Perry, beer retailer

SIMS Daniel, grocer, draper, outfitter, ironmonger, and sub-postmaster, Forest house

THOMAS Henry, haulier and farmer

WINTOUR Richard, beer retailer

WOOD William, blacksmith and carpenter

WYATT John, grocer and draper

Post Office - Daniel Sims, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lydney delivered at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m., on week days only. Money orders issued and paid, savings bank and inland revenue business transacted, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Lydney is the nearest telegraph office.

Severn and Wye Railway Station - Thomas Griffiths, stationmaster and goods manager



JAMES Mr. James, Yorkley Slade

NICHOLSON Rev. Thomas (Baptist)

Trades and Professions

ATKINSON AND HOUGH, colliery proprietors, Old Croft Level Colliery

BAILEY HILL COLLIETY CO., colliery proprietors

BIGGIN Samuel, chemist, druggist, draper, and grocer

BOWEN Benjamin, beer retailer, "Royal Forester" inn, Pillowell

BRAIN William, grocer and baker, Pillowell

BROWN Thomas, tailor and sub-postmaster

COLEY Frederick, butcher, cattle dealer, and beer retailer

EVANS Samuel, eatinghouse-keeper

FENNELL Frederick, shopkeeper, Yorkley wood

GREEN Elisha, beer retailer, Old Croft

HARRY Rees J., mining engineer, Bailey Hill Colliery

HATTON John, "Stag" inn

HATTON William, haulier, Oak Hill lodge

JAMES Adam, beer retailer

JAMES Alvan, shoemaker and shopkeeper

JAMES Henry, beer retailer

JAMES John, farmer, Badham's Field farm

JAMES John, haulier, Yorkley wood

JAMES Richard, butcher, Pillowell

JAMES William, farmer, Shop house

JENKINS John, shoemaker, Pillowell

JOHNSON BROTHERS, linen and woollen drapers, silk mercers, hosiers, haberdashers, grocers, and tean and coffee dealers, Forest House

JOHNSON Albert Joseph (firm of Johnson Brothers); h. Forest House

JOHNSON George benjamin (firm of Johnson brothers); h. Prospect House

JOHNSON John, mason

JONES George, boot and shoemaker, grocer, and beer retailer

JONES Henry, beer retailer

JONES Philip, grocer and draper; and at Bream and Parkend

KEAR Henry, builder, Fir Villa, Pillowell

KEAR Mrs. Louisa, "Nag's Head", inn

LUCKES, NASH AND CO., colliery proprietors, Pillowell Level Colliery; and at Coleford and Lydney

MORGAN Thomas, shoemaker, Pillowell

MORSE Arthur Henry, carpenter, joiner, and agent for Collier and Co's. Bristol ales and porter

MORSE Isaac, farmer

MUNRO William (firm of Bailey Hill Colliery Co.)

PHIPPS Henry, stone merchant and colliery proprietor

PHIPPS Mrs. Mary, beer retailer, Pillowell

PHIPPS Samuel, mason and shopkeeper

PRICE Henry, grocer and baker, Pillowell

ROBINS John, haulier

SIMS John, grocer and draper, Pillowell

SMITH Amos, haulier

SMITH James, shoemaker, Yorkley Slade

THOMAS Mrs. Eliza., shopkeeper

VIMPANY Edmund, farmer, Yorkley Court

WORGAN Thomas, baker and shopkeeper

Post Office - Thomas Brown, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lydney delivered at 8.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m., on week days only. Whitecroft is the nearest money order office, and Lydney the nearest telegraph office.

Wall Letter Box, Yorkley Slade - Cleared at 6 p.m., on week days only.

Baptist Chapel - Rev. Thomas Nicholson, minister