Page 2 : "The famous Thunder Cape, at entrance to the Twin Towns".
Page 3 : The Twin Towns Port Arthur and Fort William
The magnificent scenic features and the prosperity and progress of the Thunder Bay District of Lake Superior
-- the haunts of tourists and sportsmen -- shown with pen and camera.
Being one number of the
Scenic Canada Photo Album Series,
J. L. Meikle,
Port Arthur, Ont.
Page 4 : Cumberland Street, Port Arthur.
Page 5 : Port Arthur.
Principal among the large bays which abound on Lake Superior is one
known as Thunder Bay, on the west shore of which Port Arthur is situated.
During the construction of the C.P.R., and some years previously, Port
Arthur became known as Prince Arthur's Landing; but in the year 1883 the
C.P.R. directorate re-christened it, giving it its present name. With its
latitude, 48-26-05 N., longitude 89-12-14 W., it has without doubt one of
the finest, if not the finest, natural position on the continent.
Its magnificent water front offers facilities for shipping unsurpassed on the
Chain of Lakes. It is surrounded by a vast stretch of country, rich in minerals and farm lands,
and there is no town in the Dominion with so many advantages to the tourist or sightseer.
The whole region abounds in streams and lakes, which are fairly alive with brook trout
-- Port Arthur being the headquarters for this angler's paradise.
The far-famed Nepigon is but a short distance to the east of here, and sportsmen from every state in
the Union, and every province in the Dominion come to test their skill in the Nepigon
and invariably go away satisfied. Other places of interest are given in this review.
The atmosphere of Port Arthur is pure and invigorating, and is a positive specific for hay fever.
The hotel accommodations are wholly suited to attract summer pleasure seekers.
The town is growing in size and importance, and is destined to become a large wholesale and manufacturing centre.
There are now three railroads running out of Port Arthur, viz., the Canadian Pacific Railway, the Canadian Northern Railway,
and the Port Arthur, Duluth & Western Railway. A fourth railroad -- the Port Arthur, Nepigon & St. Joe
-- is at present under construction. A monster elevator and docks are being built for the
Canadian Northern Railway. The large grain-cleaning and drying elevator, owned by J.G. King & Co., is an important
industry, and the fisheries, which give employment to a large number of men, is also an
Page 6 : Victoria Avenue, Fort William.
Page 7 :
industry of no mean importance. The Port Arthur Electric Street Railway, seven miles in length,
is owned and controlled by the municipality, and of late years has proved to be a very valuable asset.
The Current River water power is being utilized by the town for the purpose of generating the electricity
for running the street cars, and also for lighting and heating and manufacturing purposes.
Regarding the steamship lines that run between Port Arthur and the other Lake points -- The C.P.R. steamship
from Port Arthur and Fort William to Owen Sound; The North-West Transportation Co. to Sarnia or Duluth;
The Northern Navigation Co. to Collingwood or Duluth; The U.S. and Dominion Transportation Co. (or Booth) Line ply their fine S.S.
"Argo" between Port Arthur and Duluth, every Monday and Thursday, calling at Isle Royale, Two Harbors, etc. The "Argo"
also sails to Ashland, Hancock and Houghton.
Chief among the most interesting places for sightseers are Kakabeka Falls and Rapids
-- Silver Islet -- Pie Island, height of mountain on island 1600 feet
-- Welcome Islands -- Mount McKay, altitude 1400 feet
-- Current River and Rapids -- Thunder Cape, altitude 1800 feet
-- Point-du-Mueron -- Nepigon Lake and Rivers -- Black Bay and Carp River.
These are all situated within easy distance of the "Twin Towns," and numerous tugs and
pleasure boats are available at the shortest notice to take passengers to those places along the lake shore,
whereas trains are available to take passengers where necessary.
For the cuts used in this souvenir we are indebted to Mr. Geo. Evans, Photographer, Fort William,
from whom any of these photos can be obtained upon application. Copies may also be had at the "Bazaar," Port Arthur.
Page 8 : Post Office, Port Arthur.
Page 9 : Fort William.
This town occupies a striking position on the Kaministiquia River, near where that stream blends with the waters of Thunder Bay.
The town site of Fort William is on the exact spot where stood the fort, stores and dwellings of the North-West Fur Company,
about a mile from the mouth of the river.
Very few places, if any, in the Dominion have such facilities for shipping or loading and unloading boats with coal,
rails, freight or minerals. The numerous coal derricks are massive in size, and many thousands of tons are unloaded at the
docks every season. The River Kaministiquia (Kam as it is called), is navigable for 10 miles, and the largest boat plying on the
great lakes can turn without any difficulty.
Within a few years a great transformation has taken place, and since the building of the large elevators and docks,
Fort William has made such rapid strides that now it has an excellent water-works and electric light system, and is the proud
possessor of many fine public and commercial buildings. The progress of Fort William depends in a large measure upon its shipping.
It has exceptional advantages for shipping purposes, and consequently remains pre-eminent as the point of transhipment for all
traffic to and from the Western territories.
Of course the mining and other resources in the neighborhood are the outcome of much activity, and ere long we expect to see smelters,
foundries and factories that will give a further
Page 10 : Canadian Pacific Railway Elevators, Fort William.
Page 11 :
Canadian Pacific Railway Elevator, Fort William. Capacity Two Million Bushels.
Another view of C.P.R. Elevators and Docks.
Page 12 :
Another View of Cumberland Street, Port Arthur.
Page 13 :
impetus to the town, and a growth even more surprising than that already attained.
The citizens are for the most part of an enterprising character, but space will not permit us to deal fully with
personalities, nor with the town's commercial resources. We therefore depict a glorious future for Fort William,
as well as for Port Arthur, and as there is but a short distance between the two towns we are but just in designating
them the "Twin Towns."
The large lumber mill, formerly occupied by Messrs. Graham, Horne & Co., is now owned and operated by The Pigeon River
Lumber Co., of which Mr. H. Finger is manager. This gives employment to more than 200 men, and is run, during the summer,
day and night.
Several large stores and warehouses give a tone of commercial importance to the town of which many Eastern towns would be proud.
Kakabeka Falls is second to none in the world excepting Niagara, and the huge body of water, falling to a depth of 115 feet,
can be heard roaring for miles around. The rapids, half a mile above the falls, are also very pretty and interesting.
Regarding the advantages of Kakabeka Falls as a water and electric power, it may here be suggested that a company,
styled the Anglo-American Power Co. of Ontario, Limited, with E.S. Jennison as chief engineer, have a scheme on hand
by which the water will be delivered to within two miles of each town by canal or natural channel, with here and there a huge dam.
The electric powrer will be generated from the Falls (a distance of 22 miles) to each town to be used for lighting and
Page 14 :
Vigars & Co.'s Lumber Mill, Port Arthur.
Lumber Mills of the Pigeon River Lumber Co., Fort William.
Page 15 :
Northern Hotel, Port Arthur.
Overlooking one of the most magnificent scenes in the world, the glorious Thunder Bay, which has been compared to the Bay of Naples.
Pages 16 & 17 :
Panoramic View of Fort William.
Showing Kaministiqua River and McKay's Mountain to the left.
Panoramic View of Port Arthur.
Showing Northern Hotel and Thunder Bay on the right.
Page 18 :
Residence of Governor McIntyre, Fort William.
Residence of John McKellar, Esq., Fort William.
Page 19 :
"Hillcrest," Residence of J. L. Meikle, Port Arthur.
Page 20 :
One of the Canadian Pacific Railway's magnificent steamers.
Owen Sound to Port Arthur.
Page 21 :
1. Town Hall, Fort William.
2. View showing Fort William Central Public School.
3. Public School, Ward One, Fort William.
Page 22 :
The Kaministiquia Hotel.
Owned and operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway at Fort William.
Page 23 :
Algoma Hotel, Port Arthur.
Page 24 :
Queen's and Windsor Hotels, Fort William.
Page 25 :
Dawson Avenue, Port Arthur.
Page 26 :
The Gorge, Kakabeka Falls.
Page 27 :
Page 28 :
Mouth of Current River.
Page 29 :
Current River Falls.
Page 30 :
Pie Island and old docks.
The S.S. Argo of the Booth Line lying in dock at Two Harbors.
Page 31 :
On the Nepigon.
Before breakfast at Nepigon.
At Split Rock Rapids at Nepigon.
Page 32 :
Mr. Thomas Marks' Residence.
Showing McVicar's Creek in foreground.
THE WOODBECK FAMILY OF HYMERS, ONTARIO.
Baruch Woodbeck's signature appears on the frontispiece of this booklet, so he was probably the original owner.
He and his family can be traced by a simple search on familysearch.org. For example, the
1911 census shows the family consisting of five people -- Baruch (age 38), his wife Mary (age 20), and children
Viola (3), Albert (2) and Baruch (born Feb. 1911). All were born in Ontario.
In September 1912, the family (now with an additional baby, Ruby Alice) emigrated from Canada to the U.S.A. through Port Huron,
Michigan. Baruch Sr. gave his ethnicity as German, his occupation as carpenter, and his closest relative remaining in Canada as a brother, Manford
Woodbeck, of Hymers, Ontario. His wife, Mary Ann, gave her ethicity as Welsh, and her closest relative remaining in Canada as
her father, Jacob Harry Jones, of Hymers, Ontario.
However, the family must not have stayed in the U.S.A. for very long, because Baruch Woodbeck died in Port Arthur on Nov. 19, 1937,
from severe concussion caused by being hit by a motor vehicle. His daughter, Mrs. Viola Cooke, of Port Arthur, states that her
father lived in Ontario all of his life. The family was certainly living in Port Arthur in 1926 when Viola was married (per her