The O'Neill story begins back in Ireland when, on the 5 May 1841, Patrick O'Neill married Susan Hannah. Just a few months later on the 3 September 1841, they set sail for Australia, from the port of Greenock, aboard the ship 'WILSON'. They were natives of Guiness, County Down.
Patrick and Susan settled in Maitland, New South Wales. This is were their seven children were born.
Their children were:
- Susan, born 17 July 1842. She died in infancy, we can't locate her death certificate, this may because at the time of her death there was no priest in the area to record it.
- Mary Ann(twin), born 7 August 1843.
- Elizabeth Anastasia (twin), born 7 august 1843.
- Henry Francis, born 7 February 1843.
- Charles Stephen, born 6 October 1847. Charles died on the 26 April 1922 in Cairns, Queensland.
- John, born on the 1 October 1853.
- Patrick Michael, born 8 August 1855.
Patrick snr, died on the 16 March 1873 at Mount Torrens, New South Wales. His wife Susan, died on the 11 october 1891 at Woodville, New South Wales. They are both buried at Raymond Terrace Catholic Cemetery, New South Wales.
Henry Francis married Augusta Grey on the 4 July 1868 at Newcastle New South Wales. They had seven children.
- Charles Henry, born 1868. Charles married Clara Robinson on the 3 September 1904 in Brisbane Queensland.
- James Francis in 1871, he died in 1895.
- Mary Augusta, born 1873.
- Ernest Edgar, born 1875 and died 1875.
- Horace Benjamin, born 1876.
- Eva S., born 1879.
- Isabel Maud, born 1881 and died 1887.
Henry Francis died on the 3 March 1912 at Hornsby, New South Wales. He is buried at the Roman Catholic Cemetery, Gore Hill, New South Wales.
Augusta died on the 12 October 1936 at Hornesby, New South Wales and is buried at the Church of England Cemetery, Northern Suburbs Sydney, New South Wales.
Of Charles and John we have no other information. There are so many John O'Neill's out there, I don't think we will ever find any more on him. Unless someone sees this and can see a connection.
Patrick Michael, married Jane Elizabeth Tuck on the 19 August 1904 at Newcastle, New South Wales. They had five children.
- Leo, born on the 10 November 1904 at Plattsburg, New South Wales.
- Bede, born on the 19 February 1906 at Bradely Park, Glen Oak, New South Wales.
- Monica Ivy, born on the 25 April 1907 at Gatton, Queensland. Monica died on the 8 February 1908 at Gatton, Queensland.
- Charles, born on the 30 October 1908 at Gatton, Queensland. Charles died on the 8 March 1909 at Gatton Queensland.
- Victor, born on the 26 March 1909 at Gatton, Queensland. Victor married mary Agnes Fuller in 1936. Victor died on the 16 August 1971 at Balmain Sydney, New south Wales. Vic is buried at Bray Park, New South Wales. At the time of his death Vic was divorced and had been for many years.
Patrick Michael died on the 9 October 1931 at Murwillumbah, New South Wales. Jane Elizabeth died on the 21 February 1983, just a few months short of her 100th birthday, in Balmain Sydney, New South Wales.
Bede, married Alice May Nunan on the 6 July 1927 at Murwillumbah, New South Wales. They had two children.
- Patrick Edward, born 16 April 1928 at Murwillumbah, New South Wales.
- Francis Bede, born on the 26 June 1930. Francis died on the 6 May 1951 in Brisbane, Queensland. He is buried at Bray Park, New South Wales, next to his Uncle Vic.
Bede died on the 15 June 1976 at Murwillumbah, New South Wales. Alice died on the 9 August 1988 also at Murwillumbah, New South Wales. They are buried at the Lawn Cemetery at Murwillumbah.
Patrick Edward married Phyllis Joyce Partridge on the 30 June 1949 at Murwillumbah, New South Wales. They have nine children.
- Marie Therese.
- Patricia Joyce.
- Brian Edward.
- Kevin Francis.
- Cecilia Agnes(Cely).
- Monica Mary.
- Rhonda Clair.
- Helen May.
- Carmel Anne.