Descendants of James McClure
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES MCCLURE was born January 05, 1765 in Ireland, and died December 05, 1851 in Butts Co., GA. He married (1) JANE HARLIN December 15, 1800 in Mecklenburg Co., NC. He married (2) MARY SHARPE April 04, 1803 in Mecklenburg Co., NC, daughter of RICHARD SHARPE and granddaughter of EDWARD SHARPE.
Children of JAMES MCCLURE and MARY SHARPE are:
2. i. NANCY MCCLURE, b. February 14, 1804, NC; d. January 03, 1899.
3. ii. THOMAS W. MCCLURE, b. March 21, 1806, NC; d. June 27, 1890, Butts Co., GA.
4. iii. JOHN W. MCCLURE, b. May 08, 1808, NC; d. March 1850.
5. iv. ELIZABETH MCCLURE, b. February 17, 1810, NC; d. November 29, 1891, Butts Co., GA.
6. v. MARY MCCLURE, b. March 18, 1812, GA; d. November 30, 1888, Butts Co., GA.
vi. JAMES S. MCCLURE, b. December 28, 1814, GA; m. OLIVE MCCUNE, August 13, 1849.
7. vii. JANE MCCLURE, b. April 20, 1817, GA.
Generation No. 2
2. NANCY MCCLURE (JAMES) was born February 14, 1804 in NC, and died January 03, 1899. She married THOMAS W. MCGOUGH December 27, 1825.
Children of NANCY MCCLURE and THOMAS MCGOUGH are:
i. MARTHA ANN MCGOUGH, b. January 08, 1828; d. March 07, 1907, McDonough, Henry Co., GA; Stepchild; m. WILLIAM N. NELSON, October 31, 1847.
ii. MARGARET JANE MCGOUGH, b. January 08, 1831; d. January 07, 1887, Butts Co., GA; m. F. N. KIMBALL.
iii. JOHN THOMAS MCGOUGH, b. December 23, 1832; d. May 12, 1872, Butts Co., GA; m. SARAH EVANS, 1871.
8. iv. JAMES ROBERT MCGOUGH, b. September 26, 1836; d. December 04, 1913, Butts Co., GA.; married Elizabeth Jane Bankston.
v. JOSEPH HOWARD MCGOUGH, b. March 29, 1840; d. May 10, 1862, Virginia; m. SARAH FINNEY, August 08, 1860.
vi. WILLIAM MARION MCGOUGH, b. August 22, 1842; d. January 14, 1915, Morton, Mississippi; m. ELIZA MOORE, 1872.
vii. BENJAMIN LEWIS MCGOUGH, b. January 03, 1849; m. SARAH JANE LEWIS MOORE, September 20, 1867.
John Claud McGough and Lilye Marion Stephenson, his wife.
John Claud was Benjamin Lewis McGough's son.
daughter of John Claud and Lilye McGough
3. THOMAS W. MCCLURE (JAMES) was born March 21, 1806 in NC, and died June 27, 1890 in Butts Co., GA. He married SARAH C. HARDY December 19, 1833.
Notes for THOMAS W. MCCLURE:
Have a copy of obituary.
Children of THOMAS MCCLURE and SARAH HARDY are:
9. i. JOHN MARION MCCLURE, b. June 23, 1841.
ii. JAMES MCCLURE, b. July 03, 1844.
iii. THOMAS JEFFERSON MCCLURE, b. May 17, 1847; d. October 17, 1914.
iv. CORNELIUS MCCLURE, b. January 14, 1849; d. April 19, 1921.
4. JOHN W. MCCLURE (JAMES) was born May 08, 1808 in NC, and died March 1850. He married ANNE BEAUCHAMP January 14, 1830 in Butts Co., GA.
Child of JOHN MCCLURE and ANNE BEAUCHAMP is:
10. i. AMANDA J. MCCLURE.
5. ELIZABETH MCCLURE (JAMES) was born February 17, 1810 in NC, and died November 29, 1891 in Butts Co., GA. She married JOHN BEAUCHAMP March 05, 1840 in Butts Co., GA.
Children of ELIZABETH MCCLURE and JOHN BEAUCHAMP are:
11. i. NANCY JANE BEAUCHAMP, b. December 17, 1840; d. April 08, 1880.
ii. JOHN DANIEL BEAUCHAMP, b. January 10, 1844; d. December 30, 1861.
iii. JAMES OLIVER BEAUCHAMP, b. May 02, 1846; d. February 12, 1908; m. FRANCIS P. THORNTON, January 09, 1868.
6. MARY MCCLURE (JAMES) was born March 18, 1812 in GA, and died November 30, 1888 in Butts Co., GA. She married JOHN D. DEASON January 15, 1859 in Butts Co., GA.
Children of MARY MCCLURE and JOHN DEASON are:
12. i. MARTHA MATILDA DEASON, b. April 01, 1830; d. November 09, 1911, Pulaski Co., GA.
13. ii. NANCY JANE DEASON, b. November 30, 1833; d. January 03, 1912.
iii. ANDREW DEASON, b. Abt. March 1834.
14. iv. MARY A. E. DEASON, b. April 21, 1835.
v. AMANDA DEASON, b. October 30, 1838; d. January 29, 1923; m. JAMES P. BRANDON, December 27, 1898, Butts Co., GA.
Notes for AMANDA DEASON:
Census records show born Abt. 1848. However, marked grave in Macedonia Baptist Church cemetery, Butts Co., GA shows:
October 30, 1838
January 29, 1923
J. P. (James P.) Brandon
March 3, 1854
Aug. 30, 1916
vi. JOHN DEASON, b. 1839.
vii. BENJAMIN THOMAS DEASON, b. April 30, 1843, Butts Co., GA; d. November 14, 1922; m. LAURA O. SHIELDS.
viii. JAMES J. DEASON, b. 1846.
15. ix. MARGARETT JANE DEASON, b. December 1850.
x. SARAH MEDORA DEASON, b. 1852; m. ANDREW NUTT, May 27, 1888, Butts Co., GA.
16. xi. MINNIE EMMA DEASON, b. June 02, 1869; d. November 13, 1951.
7. JANE MCCLURE (JAMES) was born April 20, 1817 in GA. She married (1) BENJAMIN DEASON February 16, 1832. She married (2) WILLIAM R. BANKSTON February 20, 1859 in Butts Co., GA.
Children of JANE MCCLURE and BENJAMIN DEASON are:
17. i. MARTHA JANE DEASON.
ii. MARY ELIZABETH DEASON, b. 1838-1839.
Generation No. 3
8. JAMES ROBERT MCGOUGH (NANCY MCCLURE, JAMES) was born September 26, 1836, and died December 04, 1913 in Butts Co., GA. He married ELIZABETH JANE BANKSTON December 18, 1866 in Butts Co., GA, daughter of WILLIAM BANKSTON and MAHALA COLLINS.
Children of JAMES ROBERT MCGOUGH (Robert) and ELIZABETH BANKSTON are:
i. EMMA E. MCGOUGH, b. Abt. 1868, married W. H. ANDREWS. Moved to Atlanta.
ii. WILLIAM T. MCGOUGH, b. Abt. 1870 married.... Moved to Atlanta
iii. MINNIE MCGOUGH, b. Abt. 1872, married.... Died in Eastman, Georgia.
iv. BIRDIE OLA MCGOUGH, b. Abt. 1876; married Lee V. Collins. Buried in Butts Co.
v. MARGARET L. MCGOUGH, b. Abt. 1878, did not marry.
vi. JOSEPH GORDON MCGOUGH, (Gordon) b. Abt. 1886, d. 1970, married Ethel Lucile Wiley, daughter of John Barnett Wiley, Jr. (son of Dr. John B. Wiley, Sr. and Ann Green Clopton) and Julia Ida Wilder. Buried at County Line Baptist Church, Jekinsburg, Georgia.
Joseph Gordon McGough,
James Robert McGough's son
Pictured prior to World War I when he was a sergeant in the Georgia National Guard and living in Atlanta. He was a civilian mechanical engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Charleston and Savannah. Most of his life was spent in Savannah with the Corps.
Ola McGough and Lee V. Collins, her husband.
Collins farmed near Griffin, Georgia. His half-brother, George, married Gladys McGough, William T. McGough's daughter. William's other children were Dewey and Cecil, who served with the U.S. Army in France during World War I. James Robert was William's father. The Collins brothers were related to the McGoughs through Mrs. James Robert McGough, whose grandmother was Mahala Collins (Mrs. W. R. Bankston). Ola's father was James Robert McGough
Emma and Margaret McGough
Daughters of James Robert McGouth
Emma McGough and William Andrews, her husband
This picture was taken in Atlanta (West End) on their 50th wedding anniversary. He was a captain of detectives with the Atlanta Police Department.
Four Generations of Andrews
(clockwise starting bottom right with the great-great grandfather)
John Oliver, Bruce, Otha, and William
William is the husband of Emma, James Robert McGough's daughter.
He was the other son of Emma McGough Andrews and William H. Andrews. He was an Atlanta policeman who later became an investigator for the Georgia Power Company. He is shown in Atlanta (West End) with his granddaughter in the late 1930s.
9. JOHN MARION MCCLURE (THOMAS W., JAMES) was born June 23, 1841. He married AMELIA GILES.
Children of JOHN MCCLURE and AMELIA GILES are:
i. WILLIAM THOMAS MCCLURE, b. January 08, 1871; m. TELITHA ELLA SINGLEY, January 29, 1899, Butts Co., GA.
ii. EUGENIA JENNIE MCCLURE, b. September 30, 1873, Butts Co., GA; d. September 21, 1968, Butts Co., GA; m. WILLIAM HENRY SINGLEY, September 28, 1890, Butts Co., GA.
iii. NORA LEE MCCLURE, b. August 27, 1876.
iv. LAURA JANE MCCLURE, b. December 29, 1878; d. May 02, 1934; m. JAMES THOMAS SINGLEY, December 29, 1895, Butts Co., GA.
v. HOPE GRIFFIN MCCLURE, b. September 04, 1882.
10. AMANDA J. MCCLURE (JOHN W., JAMES). She married ROBERT MARION HARDY.
Child of AMANDA MCCLURE and ROBERT HARDY is:
i. EMMA HARDY, m. WILLIAM A. HORTON.
11. NANCY JANE BEAUCHAMP (ELIZABETH MCCLURE, JAMES) was born December 17, 1840, and died April 08, 1880. She married LEONIDAS AUGUSTUS BANKSTON December 25, 1859 in Butts Co., GA, son of WILLIAM BANKSTON and MAHALA COLLINS.
Children of NANCY BEAUCHAMP and LEONIDAS BANKSTON are:
i. JOHN WILLIAM BANKSTON, b. July 11, 1861; d. August 29, 1865.
ii. ELLA MAUDE BANKSTON, b. October 08, 1864; d. September 08, 1865.
iii. JAMES BEAUCHAMP BANKSTON, b. September 14, 1866.
iv. HENRY BANKSTON, b. March 02, 1870; d. May 23, 1940; m. CAROLYN YANCEY, January 25, 1891, Butts Co., GA.
v. MAHALA MAUDE BANKSTON, b. October 29, 1873.
vi. MARY ELIZABETH BANKSTON, b. June 08, 1876; m. J. K. JOHNSTON, 1907.
12. MARTHA MATILDA DEASON (MARY MCCLURE, JAMES) was born April 01, 1830, and died November 09, 1911 in Pulaski Co., GA. She married GEORGE W. SPINKS January 10, 1850 in Butts Co., GA.
Children of MARTHA DEASON and GEORGE SPINKS are:
i. WILLIAM T. SPINKS, b. December 1851, Butts Co., GA; d. September 14, 1917, Lithonia, GA; m. MARY F. CAMPBELL, November 07, 1872, Butts Co., GA.
ii. ANNELIZA SPINKS, b. August 25, 1855, Butts Co., GA; d. December 27, 1936, Dodge Co., GA; m. ALEXANDER WILLIS SINGLEY, November 02, 1880, Butts Co., GA.
iii. BENJAMIN LEWIS SPINKS, b. May 1861, Butts Co., GA; d. Aft. 1920, Dodge Co., GA; m. (1) EMILY C. SINGLEY, September 11, 1881, Butts Co., GA; m. (2) LELIA STEWART, December 26, 1889, Butts Co., GA.
iv. JAMES J. SPINKS, b. April 1866, Butts Co., GA; d. 1922, Bleckley Co., GA; m. MARIAH L. FINNIE SMITH, November 25, 1900, Butts Co., GA.
v. S. OPHELIA SPINKS, b. 1869, Butts Co., GA; d. 1898, Butts Co., GA; m. JAMES MADISON HAMLIN, October 25, 1888, Butts Co., GA.
vi. MATTIE G. SPINKS, b. 1873, Butts Co., GA; d. 1896, Butts Co., GA12; m. J. L. REEVES, February 28, 1892, Butts Co., GA.
13. NANCY JANE DEASON (MARY MCCLURE, JAMES) was born November 30, 1833, and died January 03, 1912. She married JAMES THOMPSON STEWART December 07, 1856 in Butts Co., GA.
Notes for NANCY JANE DEASON:
Death date is listed as Jan. 12, 1913.
Children of NANCY DEASON and JAMES STEWART are:
i. JOHN WILLIAM STEWART, b. September 29, 1857.
ii. MARY JANE STEWART, b. August 29, 1859; d. September 11, 1867.
iii. JAMES RUFUS STEWART, b. September 16, 1861; d. July 11, 1872.
iv. ROBERT JACKSON STEWART, b. May 29, 1866.
v. JOSEPH H. STEWART, b. March 19, 1868; d. March 19, 1868.
vi. SARA MARGARET STEWART, b. December 11, 1869.
vii. ANNIE LAURIE STEWART, b. October 29, 1871.
viii. BENJAMIN HENDERSON STEWART, b. June 30, 1878; d. March 03, 1879.
14. MARY A. E. DEASON (MARY MCCLURE, JAMES) was born April 21, 1835. She married (1) SIMON S. BLANKS February 01, 1859 in Butts Co., GA. She married (2) SILAS DOBY January 13, 1867 in Butts Co., GA.
Child of MARY DEASON and SIMON BLANKS is:
i. MARY K. BLANKS, b. 1860.
Children of MARY DEASON and SILAS DOBY are:
ii. JAMES T. DOBY, b. April 1867; m. MATTIE MARSH.
iii. ROBERT A. DOBY, b. 1878.
15. MARGARETT JANE DEASON (MARY MCCLURE, JAMES) was born December 1850. She married THOMAS D. MCELROY December 30, 1875 in Butts Co., GA.
Children of MARGARETT DEASON and THOMAS MCELROY are:
i. MARY A. MCELROY, b. Abt. 1877.
ii. WILLIAM MCELROY, b. Abt. 1879.
iii. NANCY EMMA MCELROY, b. April 08, 1882; d. February 06, 1945; m. JOHN WOODSON KITCHENS, Butts Co., GA.
iv. VICTORIA MCELROY, b. August 1885.
v. CLAUDE MCELROY, b. June 1889.
vi. RAGEN MCELROY, b. April 1892.
16. MINNIE EMMA DEASON (MARY MCCLURE, JAMES) was born June 02, 1869, and died November 13, 1951. She married JOHN J. PELT February 28, 1892 in Butts Co., GA.
Notes for MINNIE EMMA DEASON:
Census records show her born about 1857. However, marked grave found in Macedonia Baptist Church cemetery, Butts Co., GA shows:
Minnie E. Pelt
June 2, 1869
Nov. 13, 1951
John J. Pelt (census records show him as John T. Pelt)
Aug. 22, 1853
June 6, 1923
By placing Minnie Emma born in 1869, her mother would have been 57 years old at the time of her birth. It seems more logical that she was born in 1859 and that her mother would have been about 47 years old thus making the tombstone off by ten years.
Children of MINNIE DEASON and JOHN PELT are:
i. HULAN PELT, b. November 1892.
ii. BENJAMIN D. PELT, b. April 25, 1896; d. July 18, 1968; m. AMANDA W. ?.
iii. MARY PELT, b. January 1898.
17. MARTHA JANE DEASON (JANE MCCLURE, JAMES). She married GEORGE WASHINGTON HODGES January 05, 1864 in Butts Co., GA, son of WILLIAM HODGES and ELIZABETH ANDREWS.
Notes for MARTHA JANE DEASON:
A descendent of this couple says Martha's name was "Martha Julia", not "Martha Jane".
Children of MARTHA DEASON and GEORGE HODGES are:
i. LEO MORTIMER HODGES, b. December 22, 1864; m. ANNA VICTORIA THOMAS.
ii. WILLIAM BENJAMIN HODGES, b. December 1866; m. NANCY CORA THOMAS.
Many thanks go to Luan Harper of Brunswick, Georgia for the McClure Family Geneology!
Many thanks go to Claudette McGough Gatewood (Struck) for the pictures of Benjamin McGough's family.
Many thanks go to Dorothy Andrews Green for the picture of her grandfather with his father, his son (her uncle), and grandson.