This is a record of revisions to the website.
- CSS: Undertook the simple task of moving the CSS code to its own file. After three hours of it not working, I found a reference that IE 3.0 would not properly apply backgrounds from a linked CSS. Apparently IE 6.0 doesn't either!
- Index: Changed background to a lighter shade and bolded text for better contrast.
- Documents: Completed work on WWI Draft Registrations for Joseph Barrows and Owen Ball. Uploaded.
- Finally!!! Back to the basics! Began revising code of existing pages to use CSS in place of deprecated HTML. Also working on adding new pages.
- Have not worked on website for two weeks now!
- Still having same problem: I can get one or the other to work, but not both. Will have to put on hold for now.
- It works! But thumbnails are statically loaded. Now trying to allow dynamic loading of thumbnails. I can get that to work too, but when it does, it does not allow the large image to load.
- Started major revision to photo display page. Trying to put thumbnails in left-hand column, and selected large photo on right.
- Started this history list. Dates of older details are approximate.
- Gave in and bought "Cascading Style Sheets by Example". Web-based tutorials are good but too sketchy, and W3C (and other) references don't show how to apply the rules.
- Began validating source code with W3C. Although I'm not a fanatic about it, it does seem reasonable that the source code should validate, in the hopes that future browers will fully conform to the specs. After all, how long can it be before IE 7.0?
- Downloaded HTML editor "HTML-Kit", which so far seems to do a good job. Still allows me to program, but provides convenient features to assist.
- Abandoned my determination (despite everything I'd read) to post only high-quality photos. Gave in after a contact could only get 1 of 5 photos to download using dial-up. The one that downloaded was .jpg, the others were .bmp. Still want the hi-res available on website for downloading if customer wants it. Experimented with buttons to choose hi-res/lo-res, but not successful.
- Need to learn more about dynamically inserting URL into IMG SRC.
- Also discovered that you can apparently dynamically determine the index number for an individual in a tree.
- Need to learn more about this, especially whether the index number can be returned to the calling program.
- Attempted to link individuals in photos to World Connect Tree. It worked by using static index number in tree. Since I'm not sure that the indices won't change with future updates to the tree, I've put this on hold.
- Developed "form" to display information of selected individual in photo using OnMouseOver. Not the prettiest, but it works!"
- Worked on image-mapping photos to allow identifying individuals.
- Began this website and quickly proved how little I knew about HTML (and didn't even know what CSS and JavasScript were!).
This code was verified by W3C Validator to be in compliance with
HTML 4.01 Strict and CSS 2.0
Advertisement coding added by the hosting site may not be valid