Pictured above is Rottington Hall
An extract from J.coulthards "Jill's Home Page"
an excellent site on the Mossop descent written by Jill Coulthard.
Clement, eldest son of Moses of Rottington and Elizabeth, married Eleanor Walker, daughter of the family in the farm opposite the Hall. From family papers it is remarked that “all the niceness of the Mossops came in with the Walkers”.
Eleanor was baptised on 8 January 1742 at Haile. Her three brothers were also baptised at Haile but the family had obviously moved to Rottington by the time her father, William, died there in 1766. He was buried at St. Bees on 19 June 1766 some two months before Clement and Eleanor married.
A possible previous marriage has been mooted for Clement from some entries in the St. Bees registers but there is no firm evidence.
Clement and Eleanor married on 15 August 1766 at Whitehaven St. James. Whitehaven had three churches, St. James, Holy Trinity and St. Nicholas. Quite a few St. Bees families married there probably because some at least were more impressive and could hold more people. Also, perhaps for relatives coming from around the area it was more central. St. James is a very large, imposing church standing high on a hill above the town. It has a surprisingly beautiful Georgian interior, described by Nicholas Pevsner as the finest such of any church in the county.
Clement and Eleanor had these children:
ELIZABETH Known as Betty. Baptised 19 August 1767. She was married on 13 February 1790 to John Lister and they lived at Whitehaven. They had 10 children of whom Jane married Charles Mossop (two likely candidates for him) and Ann married Anthony Nicholson. John died (when?) and left Betty as a widow in a poor financial state. When Betty’s mother, Eleanor, died, she left Rottington Hall to Betty (though the name of the property at Rottington is unspecified).
WILLIAM Baptised 2 November 1768. Joined the Army in the Life Guards and so was away in early adult life. However, he returned to Rottington and married Jane who was said to be a servant. They had three children, Clement, born 1800, who died aged 14, William born 1801 and Mary born 1803 who married the Rev. William Dickinson Grice. William built a house for himself in the grounds of The Hall, called “The Rookery”. Apparently in poor health in later years, he was buried on 24 August 1817 aged 49.
HANNAH Baptised 31 March 1770. Married 27 September 1794 at Whitehaven Holy Trinity to William Fox of High House and Abbey Farm, St. Bees. Hannah died 4 February 1848. The ancestors of our Fox branch, parents of Catherine (John Coulthard) and Rev. John (Carmel Reynen). Their son, William, carried on at Abbey Farm and married Mary Ann Cook. They had other children who are on the Fox family chart.
MOSES Baptised 8 June 1772. As his elder brother, William, was evidently not interested in farming, it was Moses who took over Rottington Hall which he bought back from his sister Betty’s estate. It stayed in this line until it was sold in 1956. Moses married Mary Fox, sister of William, on 6 November 1799 at St. Bees. He died on 18 April 1866 aged 94 “a hale old man until the time of his death”. Mary had predeceased him in April 1848 which was a very sad year for the Fox and Mossop families with many family members dying then or around that time.
JOHN Baptised 4 June 1774. John went up to Queen’s College, Oxford and took Holy Orders. Queen’s College had been founded specifically for boys from Cumberland and Westmorland and many of the brighter scholars went there. He became the Rector of Hothfield, Kent. John married first Mary Aynscombe with no children. Mary was apparently from a very wealthy family and when she died in 1828 left John all she had as did two of her unmarried sisters. Documents show considerable property holdings in parts of London.
John married second on 21 August 1843 at Wigton, Cumberland, Margaret Pearson. John was then 69 years old but Margaret obviously of child bearing age. Margaret was said to be a niece of William Fox and Mary Ann Cook (William son of William Fox and Hannah Mossop). She cannot be William’s niece so she must be a niece of Mary Ann but to date I have not found out how. Mary Ann relates back to William & Ruth Cook.)
John and Margaret had two children, Mary Aynscombe Mossop and John Henry Mossop, before John died in 1849. It appears that the son, John Henry, died unmarried and very wealthy. The daughter, Mary Aynscombe Mossop, named after his first wife, married well and had at least two children, surnames Baillie-Hamilton.
Margaret married again after John’s death to John Henry Wagner and had at least one daughter.
ISAAC Baptised 16 November 1776. He also took Holy Orders though I have not yet found which University he attended. Isaac became Rector of Smarden, also in Kent, so was not too far away from his brother John. It appears Isaac could be quite a difficult character as he upset a previous parish so much they were glad to see the back of each other. An old local history book on Cranbrook, Kent quotes thus:-
"Upon the resignation of Mr. Davies, Archbishop Sutton conferred the living on the Rev. Isaac Mossop, and his first signature as vicar occurs in the registers on April 29 1813
he continued here until 1834, a period of about 21 years, when he was promoted to the rectory of Smarden.
At the time Mr. Mossop was appointed vicar of Cranbrook, the old vicarage house was in a very dilapidated condition, consequently he did not reside in it, but occupied lodgings in the town until a new house was erected about four or five years after. He was a tall well-formed man of gentlemanly bearing, but his temper was not an agreeable one
from this and other causes he failed to please the majority of his parishioners, and was at no time popular with them, although he was charitable to many of the poor
unfortunately strife and variance often prevailed among them, the effects of which I need not describe (why not??). The great agitation throughout the country for parliamentary reform occurred during his residence here, to which he was strongly opposed
this rendered him still more unpopular, and when he removed to Smarden the separation was no doubt equally agreeable to both parties.
The vicarage house built for Mr. Mossop, since considerably enlarged (now called the Glebe House) is occupied by the master of the grammar school. Mr. Mossop never kept a curate, nor was he ever married. He died at St. Bees, Carnforth, a township in the parish of Walton, Co-palatine of Lancaster, and was buried there on the 14th January 1857 aged 80 years. There is no monument erected to his memory."
According to family recollections, Isaac spent more time in St. Bees than he did in Smarden. He died at the Abbey (farm or district), St. Bees on 10 January 1857 and was buried in the churchyard with members of his family to whom there is a memorial, including Isaac, now forming part of a path. Abbey Farm was then in the possession of his nephew, William Fox and the informant of his death was another nephew, Henry Mossop. This monument names Isaac first and then his brother Moses and wife Mary and two of their children. Perhaps Isaac got on better with the people in Cumberland.
ELEANOR Baptised 15 December 1778. Buried 17 March 1782.
MARY Born 6 October 1780. Baptised 30 October 1780. Married 12 May 1804 at St. Bees to James Fox, brother of William and Mary. This made three marriages between the two families in this generation. Mary was left Cringlethwaite by her father which he had evidently inherited from his. Although James was the fourth son, they lived at the main Fox residence of High House. The James Fox of Australia was their grandson.
ELEANOR Baptised 7 February 1783. Buried 22 December 1787.
Clement Mossop was buried on 5 March 1814 at St. Bees. His widow, Eleanor, continued to live at the Hall until she had a fall and broke her leg. It was then deemed unsafe for her to live alone so she went to her daughter at Seascale Hall. This is recorded in family stories and Eleanor did die at Seascale Hall on 23 June 1820. The Paquet named the daughter as “Mrs. Fox” so it was either Hannah or Mary, probably the latter. Eleanor was buried on 26 June at St. Bees.
Clement died a fairly wealthy man and left a farm called Oxenriggs to his son Moses as well as property to his daughters. Two of his other four sons were clergymen in comfortable circumstances and the eldest, William, was living next door at “The Rookery”.
Clement and Eleanor had previously retired from the farm at Rottington Hall and built themselves another house next door called “Whinyeat”.
(Whinyeat pictured below as it is today)
If you are interested in the Mossop name and want to know more, here are links to some excellent websites on the Mossop descent:
Jill Coulthard's Home Page
Marshall Mossops Name Home Page
Extra Information on Mossop and Whinyeat