White's 1857 Directory of Derbyshire - pages 647-657

YOULGREAVE parish contains the townships of Youlgreave and Gratton, and the townships and chapelries of Birchover, Stanton, and Winster, in the High Peak Hundred, with the township of Middleton and Smerrill, and the township and chapelry of Elton in the Wirksworth Hundred, which together comprise 10,427A. 3R. 39P. of land and in 1851 had 875 houses and 3764 inhabitants, of whom 1856 were males and 1908 females; rateable value £11764 12s. 10d. The soil is various, principally occupied in dairy farms and sheep walks, has large plantations of mountain pine and fir, with a variety of fine timber trees. It is on the south border of the High Peak, mountainous, and romantic having some extensive lead mines.

YOULGREAVE, YOULGRAVE, or YOLGRAVE, is a considerable and well built village and township, situated on a bold eminence above the river Lathkill, a fine trout stream, 3 miles S. by W. from Bakewell, contains 2531A. 2R. 21P. of land, and in 1851 had 265 houses and 1194 inhabitants, of whom 599 were males and 595 females; rateable value £2822 0s. 5d. The Duke of Rutland, the Duke of Devonshire, W. P. Thornhill, Esq., M.P. and Thos. Bateman, Esq., are the principal owners, besides which there are several smaller owners; the former is lord of the manor. In the centre of the village Miss Hannah Bowman and others, in 1829, erected a circular stone building, enclosing a fountain for supplying the public with water. It rises about 9 feet, and is supplied from a spring of equal altitude from the other side the river, under which it is brought in pipes, near which is a house, erected in 1630, a fine specimen of the architecture of former times; and in the yard a stone coffin. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a vicarage, valued in the King’s book £9 4s. 7d., now £230, has been augmented with £200 benefactions and £200 Queen Anne’s bounty. Duke of Devonshire is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Buckwell, incumbent. The Church is an ancient structure, partly in the Norman style, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and fine square pinnacled tower, in which are six bells. An organ was placed in the north aisle in 1855, at a cost of £60 raised by subscrip­tion. In the north aisle of the Church is an ancient font, which was brought here from Elton, about 30 years ago; it is of curious workmanship, resting on a circular pillar of coarse red gritstone; from the basin of the font proceeds a smaller receptical for water, which is apparently held from below, in the mouth of a dragon with a twisted tail. In the interior of the Church is the effigy of Sir John Rossington, a crusader, he has a sword suspended from his loins, and holds a heart in his hands. The figure is clothed in drapery. In the chancel is an elegant alabastar tomb, containing the effigy of a man in plate armour round the sides of which are figures of angels, bearing shields of arms, he is bare headed,


648                                                                          HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.


and rests his head upon a helmet, which bears the crest of one of the Cockayne family, viz, a cock. The legs and feet have been destroyed, But the lion upon which they rested still remains. In the north wall of the chancel is an ancient alabaster tomb, richly sculptured, representing a female with an infant in her arms, and surrounded by twenty other children of both sexes. From the inscription it appears to be to Robert Gilbert and his wife, Joan, the latter of whom died in 1492. Lomberdale House, 1 mile S.W. from the Church, the seat and property of Thos. Bateman, Esq., (author of the “Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire),” is a handsome stone mansion, in the walls of which at irregular distances, are various grotesque and antique busts. It was erected in 1844, and now undergoing considerable improvements. The house has a tesselated pavement, and is adorned with many antiquities, ancient weapons, and a complete suite of polished steel plate armour, fixed as though standing on guard, with beaver down and sword in hand, besides, here is an extensive collection of antiquities, the more important portion of which has been derived from Tumuli, in the Counties of Derby, Stafford, and York, and illustrated by numerous similar objects derived from various other sources, both Britsh and Foreign. The Wesleyan chapel, erected about 50 years ago, is a good stone building, which will hold about 200. The lndependents have a handsome stone chapel, erected in 1853, by Thos. Bateman, Esq., at a cost of upwards of £200, will seat about 100. The Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1822, at a cost of £140, raised by subscription is a neat stone building and will hold about 160. A school was erected by subscription, in 1756, in which 25 children are taught on payment of one penny weekly, in 1824, a house was erected for the master at the expense of the Duke of Rutland, who, with the Duke of Devonshire, and others gives £25 annually towards the support of the school. The inhabitants are prin­cipally employed in the mines, but these are not so profitable as they were some years ago. The principal mines now worked are the Longrake, Townend, Youlgreave Ashes, Canton Hill Pipe, and Ladycroft, the former of which is the most productive. Here are several Friendly and Sick Societies in the village. The Feast is held the nearest Sunday to All Saints’ Day.

Collinglowe Grange, 2 miles W.N.W. is a neat stone building, with porch at the front entrance, the floor of which is laid with triangular or tesselated pavement, very rarely now seen, it is the property of the Duke of Devonshire, and residence of Mr. J. Blore. Conksbury, 1 mile N. by W., consists of two farms, and a bridge over the Bradford brook, on the Bakewell and Ashbourn road. Meadow Place, a large farm, 1¼ miles N.W. from Youlgreave; both these belonged to the abbey of Leicestcr. The Church of Youl­greave was given to the abbey of Leicester, in or before the reign of Henry II. King Edward VI., in 1552, granted the rectory and advowson of the vicarage to Sir William Cavendish, from whom they have descended to his Grace the Duke of Devonshire. An act of parliament for enclosing Youhgreave and Middleton passed in 1815, in which the Duke of Rutland is stated to be impropriator of wool and lambs in Middleton.

In the parish register of this Church is a remarkable entry. “This year, 1614-5, Jan. 16th, began the greatest snow which ever fell uppon earth within man’s memory. It covered the earth fyve quarters deep upon the playne. It fell ten severall tymes, and the last was the greatest, to the greate admiration and fear of all the land; for it came from the foure pts of the world, so that all e’ntries were full, yea, the south p’te as well as these mountaynes. It continued by daily increasing untill the 12th day of March, (without the sight of any earth, eyther uppon the hilles or valleyes,) upon wh daye, being the Lorde’s day, it began to decrease, and so by little and little consumed and wasted away till the eight and twentyth day of May, for then all the heapes or drifts of snow were consumed, except one uppon Kinder-Scout, wch lay till Witson-week.” It appears by a further account, that it decreased so gradually, that though several floods occurred, yet no damage was done. This extraordinary snow is mentioned by Stowe, in his Chronicle, 1615. “A dry summer. There was no rain from the 25th day of March, till the 2nd day of May,


YOULGREAVE PARISH.                                                   649


and then but one shower; after which there fell none till the 18th day of June, and then there fell another; after that there fell none at all till the 4th day of August, after which tyme there was sufficient rayne uppon the earth; so that the greatest pt of this land especially the south pts, were burnt upp, both corn and hay.” “ Only Lankishyre and Cheshyre had rain enough all summer.”                              

BIRCHOVER is a small village, township, and chapelry, which is partly in Stanton liberty, 1¼ mile N.W. from Winster, 3 miles S.E. by E. from Youlgreave, contains 583A. 3R. 37P. of gritstone soil, principally occupied in dairy farms, and in 1851 had 14 houses and 78 inhabitants, of whom the number of males and females were equal; rateable value £761 7s.. 8d. William Pole Thornhill, Esq., M.P., the Duke of Rutland, J. H. Bradley, T. Robinson, and J. and G. Gregory, Esqs., are the principal owners, the former of whom is lord of the manor. The Chapel is a small square building, situated at the end of the village. The living, a donative in the gift of W. P. Thornhill, Esq. M.P., Rev. J. F. Garreit, B.A., of Elton, officiating minister. The Chapel was built by Thos. Eyre, Esq., of Row Tor, who died in 1717, and endowed it with £20 per annum, for the performance of divine service on the first Sunday in every month, The service is now performed every Sunday. It is exempt from ecclesiastical jurisdiction. The Primitive Methodists have a small neat brick chapel here, erected by subscription in 1853, at a cost of £50, will seat about 90.

Row Tor or Rov Tor, on Stanton moor, near this village, are a remarkable assemblage of gritstone rocks, which extend from 70 to 80 yards in length and from 40 to 50 in height. A subterraneous passage about 90 feet in length runs through these rocks, being in some parts very low, there are also other natural passages in several parts of them, also armed seats of solid rocks, and various other curious fragments. A little E. of this pile, is a large rocking stone of an irregular shape, 12 feet high and 36 in circumference, and estimated at 50 tons weight. This formerly could be shaken by the pressure of the hand, but having been forced from its equilibrium, it now requires the whole strength to put it in motion; it has since been put in its former situation, but the exact balance it once possessed is destroyed. A little N. is a second rocking stone, of the shape of an egg, which can be moved by a single finger, though 12 feet in length and 14 in girth. A third rocking stone stands a little further north, resembling the latter both in figure and facility of motion, and a little west are seven stones, piled on each other, varying in size and form, but all moveable by the pressure of a hand. Adjoining, the lord of the manor has recently erected a house of entertainment for the accommodation of visitors, designated “The Druid” of Row Tor. Mr. Geo. Marsden, the proprietbr, conducts visitors through these rocks. Row Tor Old Hall, of which there are only few remains, is now occupied by Mr. Francis Walker, who has in his possession several old relics, amongst which is a carved oak bedstead of the date 1586. Feast, Sunday nearest Oct. 10.

ELTON, a small village, township, and chapelry, situate in the Wirksworth hundred, 1¾ miles W. from Winster, on the summit of a bleak eminence, and contains 1399A. of good land on limestone, principally in dairy farms, and in 1851 had 132 houses and 545 inhabitants, of whom 245 were males and 300 females; rateable value £1274 17s. 3d. Hylton Jelliffe, Esq.. Wm. Pole Thornhill, Esq.. M.P., Andrew Brittlebank, Esq., Mrs, Mary Robinson, Wm. A. Sheldon, Esq., Mr. T. Webster, and Mr. Jph. Briddon, are the principal owners, the two former are joint lords of the manor. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat plain stone building, with square tower and three bells, and can seen at a great distance. The living is a perpetual curacy, of the value of £98 per annum, principally derived from tithe land, it has bean augmented with £200 benefactions, £200 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant; the inhabitants are patrons, and the Rev. J. F. Garrett, B.A., incumbent. At the enclosure, in 1809, 49 acres of land were awarded in lieu of tithes, and 30 acres to other tithe owners. The Parsonage is a neat stone residence, erected 1838, pleasantly situated near the Church. The manor was held by the Bardolfs, as lords paramount, by the render of a pair of gilt spurs; from whom it passed to the Tibetots; afterwards to the Stevensons, from one of whose coheiress a

2 T


650                                                                          HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.


moiety was carried to Hylton Jolliffe, Esq., and Bache Thornhill, Esq., purchased from the other. It pays a quit or chief rent of 15s. 4d. The Wesleyan Reform chapel is a handsome brick building, erected by subscription, in 1852, at a cost of £90. The Primitive Methodist chapel built 1843, at a cost of £90, defrayed by subscription, is a good stone building. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1851, by subscription at a cost of £90, is a good substantial building, each of which will accommodate about 100. The mining operations here are not as productive as formerly, the principal mine owners at present are Messrs. Milnes & Co., and Messrs. Heathcote, one thirteenth lot of the ore got, is due to Peter Arkwright, Esq., as lessee of the crown, but he takes one twenty-fifth. The Duke of Rutland claims one tenth for tithes, but takes one twenty-fifth. 3d. per load is also paid to the Barmaster on lead ore and 6d. per ton on brown ore, and one thirtieth in this parish as in all others in the Wapentake of Wirksworth, is paid to the land owners upon all ores raised out of cultivated hillocks. The Odd Fellows have a lodge here, and the feast is held on the 1st of November.

GRATTON, a small village and township situate in a pleasant valley, 2 miles S. from Youlgreave, and 2½ miles W.N.W. from Winster, contains 844A. of land, and in 1851 had 5 houses and 38 inhabitants, of whom 24 were males and 14 females; rateable value £919. Wm. Pole Thornhill, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and owner. In 1723, John Thornhill, Esq. purchased it from the Lowes, to whom it had descended from the Middletons. Feast, nearest Sunday to All Saints’ day.

MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL township, in the Wirksworth Hundred, contains con­jointly 2,500 acres of good strong pasture and meadow land, a portion of which on the moors is arable, and had in 1851, 57 houses,  and 276 inhabitants, of whom 149 were males and 127 females; rateable value, £2022 15s. 6d.

MIDDLETON is a well-built rural village, 1½ miles S.W. from Youlgreave. In the romantic glen of the Lathkill, is a factory, formerly employed in making tapes, but now used partly as a day school, and partly as a colour manufactory. Thos. Bateman, Esq., is the lord of the manor, and he, with the Duke of Rutland, are the owners. Here are 14 acres of church land awarded to the vicar in lieu of tithe. The Independent chapel, erected in 1826, by the late Thos. Bateman, Esq., is a handsome stone building, and is endowed with £40 per annum, left by Mr. Bateman. It will accommodate about 200. Beneath the chapel is a school room, used both for week­day and Sunday instruction. The Primitive Methodist chapel, built of wood, in 1850, at a cost of £90, will hold about 100. Here is a lodge of Odd Fellows; and the Feast is held on Friday in Whitsun week. This manor belonged to the Herthills, and passed with their heiress to the Cockaynes. In 1771, it was the joint property of Lord Viscount Howe and Matthew Raper, Esq. Its late possessor purchased it from the co-heiress of Vis­count Howe. The remains of an ancient Druids’ temple are still visible, situate on an eminence three miles N.W., and occupying about two acres of land, in the posses­sion of Mr. Geo. Howe. Smerrill (Grange) consists of only one farm, the property of the Duke of Rutland, 1 mile S. from Middleton; the whole is tithe-free.

STANTON is a pleasant village, township, and chapelry, 4 miles S.S.E. from Bakewell, 1¾ miles E.S.E. from Youlgreave, contains 1534 acres of good pasture, meadow, and arable land, besides 427A. 3R. 38P. of plantations, not rated; and in 1851 had 162 houses, and 705 inhabitants, of whom 340 were males, and 365 females; rateable value, £1,800. Wm. Pole Thornhill, Esq., M.P. is lord of the manor and principal owner. The Duke of Rutland, Mr. Thos. Robinson, and Mr. Walter Holmes, are also owners. In different parts of the township are considerable plantations of pine and fir. The Church, a neat stone structure, with nave, chancel, and transepts, a square tower, and sexangular spire with six bells, was erected in 1833, at the sole expense of W. P. Thornhill, Esq., M.P., who presents to the living, which is a donative, annexed to Youlgreave vicarage. It will seat about 360 persons, nearly all of the sittings being free. In 1847, an


YOULGREAVE PARISH.                                                   651


organ was placed in the church, presented by Wm. P. Thornhil, Esq. The Rev. J. F. Garrett, B.A. is the officiating minister. In the church is a handsome marble tablet, erected in 1855, to the memory of Col. Wm. Thornhill. The Wesleyans, Primitives, and Reformers, have each places of worship here. In 1856, a new Parochial school was erected, with a house for the master, and opened 28th of July. It is situated ¼ mile S.E. of the church, and was built at the sole expense of W. P. Thornhill, Esq., M.P., will hold about 70, and about 60 attend. Here is a Sick society, consisting of 100 members. Feast, nearest Sunday to All Saints. On the summit of a hill at Stanton Wood, a small square tower was erected, in commemoration of the passing of the Reform bill, in 1833. By act of Parliament, passed in 1799, the open lands were enclosed, when allotments were awarded to the Duke of Rutland, and Mr. Thornhill, as joint impropriators of tithes. The Marchioness of Sligo, was entitled to certain moduses, as tithe of hay.

Stanton Hall, a large handsome mansion, which was rebuilt in 1799, and a deer park, with extensive plantations added, is the seat of William Pole Thornhill, Esq., M.P., Stanton, was the joint property of the Duke of Rutland, and Mr. Thornhill, till the year 1809, when, in consequence of an exchange made under an enclosure act, the whole became vested in Mr. Thornhill. The Hall, had for two centuries been the residence of the Baches, when the estate, in 1604, passed to John Thornhill, Esq., of Thornhill, who married Anne Bache, the niece and heiress of Raphael Bache, Esq., of Stanton.

Stanton Woodhouse, two miles E.S.E. from Stanton. Here is an ancient Eliza­bethan house, situated on a fine elevation, surrounded with terraces, ancient yews, Spanish chesnut, walnut, elm, and other trees, commanding extensive prospects. It is the property of the Duke of Rutland, by whom it is occupied as a shooting box. It was formerly the residence of the Allens, and forms the manor of Stanton Lees, of which the Duke of Rutland is lord.

Stanton Lees. 2½ miles N. is a good substantial stone residence, in the occupation and property of Mr. Walter Holmes.

WINSTER, a township, chapelry, and small market town, irregularly built on the side of a rocky eminence, and situate in a valley, 6½ miles S.S.E. from Bake­well, 6½ miles N.W. from Wirksworth, 19 miles N.N.W. from Derby, 145 miles from London, and about 3 miles N. from the High Peak Railway, contains 1034 acres of meadow and pasture land, and in 1851, had 240 houses, and 928 inhabitants, of whom 460 were males and 468 females; rateable value, £2184 12s. 0d. It is a freehold estate. Andrew Brittlebank, Esq., Robt. Cresswell, Esq., Mrs. Eliz. Roberts, Mr. Thos. Roberts, Lord Scarsdale, Mr. Richard Witham, Mr. Wm, Briddon, and the Rev George Mason, are the principal owners, besides several freeholders. The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a perpetual curacy, certified at £12, now £104; has been augmented with £400 bencfactions, £200 Queen Anne’s bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant; the resident freeholders, patrons; Rev. Wm. Dyke, incumbent. In 1702, Mrs. Anne Phenney and Mr. Henry Fenshaw endowed the chapelry with one fourth of the tithes of corn and hay of the township, for which, at the enclosure, 37A. 1R. 29P. of land were allotted to the incumbent. The Church was rebuilt in 1842, in a neat modern style, (except the old tower, now grown over with ivy, and in which are five bells,) at the cost of upwards of £1,600, raised by subscriptions, aided by £150 from the Incorporated society, and £150 from the Diocesan Society; in conse­quence of which, 295 sittings remain free and unappropriated for ever. In 1846, a clock was placed on the church, by subscription, at a cost of £80. On the entrance to the church is the following inscription :—


“Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise.”


In the chancel is a very ancient carved stone font, lined with lead, and here are

2 T 2


652                                                                          HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.


several tablets to the Holmes and Moore families, and one to Thomas Wall, who was engaged in most of the great actions during the Peninsular war. The Wesleyan Methodists have a neat stone chapel, erected in 1837; the Primitive Methodists built one in 1823; and the Reformers, a neat chapel, erected at a coat of £155, in 1852. The Market is held on Saturday, and Fairs are held for cattle, Feb. 11th, March 30th, and May 8th, and for cheese and cattle on October 10th, or the day before, should any of these days fall on Sunday. The fairs, which had long been discon­tinued, were again revived in 1855, when the cheese and cattle fair was held on Oct. 10th, which was well supplied with fat stock, cheese, &c., at which fair James Haywood, of Middleton, in this parish, had £2 awarded for the best dairy of cheese. Here are two Lodges and two Sick societies. Feast, first Sunday after Midsummer day. The inhabitants are extensively engaged in mining operations, new openings being continutally made. There are several levels, of which the Portway mine is the greatest, which drains several mines in its course of three miles to the Derwent. Every 13th part of the ore is due to the Duke of Devonshire, as lessee under the crown, in right of the Duchy of Lancaster for lot, but he takes every twenty-fifth, and 4d. per load is paid to him as cope. The Duke of Rutland claims every tenth, but takes every twenty-fifth, for tithe; but there are no manorial claims. There is also a considerable quantity of Brown and Green ore, of the average value of 20s. to 40s. per ton, which is liable to a duty of one-thirteenth lot, one-tenth tithe, and 10d. per ton cope. On opening a barrow in the neighbourhood, in 1768, two glass vessels were found, each containing clear, but green coloured water. A silver bracelet, with some glass beads, and various other trinkets were also found.

“During the present year (1856), a discovery of considerable interest, was accidentally made in the garden attached to the residence of Charles Carill Worsley, Esq., in this town­ship. Whilst lowering a bank of earth for the purpose of making some improvements in the pleasnre ground, the labourers uncovered two graves at the depth of upwards of four feet from the present surface, each containing a human skeleton, lying on its right side, with the knees drawn up and the head pointing towards the north-east. A careful examination of the place and the objects there discovered, affords evidence of the inter­ments having been made in the following manner:—A wood fire was, in the first place, lighted upon the ground, in or around which some large stones were put so as to become calcined. This having burned out, the place it occupied was cleared for the reception of the body, which was then deposited in the position before mentioned, along with the implements and weapons of deceased. The caleined stones were next piled carefully over the corpse, and, finally, earth was heaped up above the whole, probably while the ground was still warm. The first skeleton was accompanied by a small spear head, or knife, of iron, much corroded, and the lower stone of a hand-mill, anciently used in household for grinding corn; the latter had passed the fire. With the second interment was found the upper stone of the same mill, very neatly wrought in sand­stone, but split to pieces by the great heat to which it had been exposed. Some pieces of a very coarse vessel of plain earthenware were found near the head of this skeleton, and behind it lay a large spear head, of iron, two feet long, a curved instrument of the same metal, five inches long, originally fixed in a wooden handle, the bone ferule of which still remains, and a ring-like bead or decoration of light coloured porcelain, about an inch and a half in diameter.

“The whole of the articles exhumed from these graves (which may be assigned to the Teutonic or Tiron period, including the time from the end of the 5th to the 7th century, A.D.) by the kindness of C. Carill Worsley, Esq., have been deposited in Mr. Bateman’s Museum of Antiquities, at Youlgreave.”

CHARITIES.—School.—By indentures, dated 30th November and 1st December, 1762, it is mentioned that the school was built by charitable subscriptions, and that a barn and croft had been purchased for £8 8s. A sum of £28 18s. 9d. remained in the


YOULGREAVE PARISH.                                                   653


Rev. Edward Timperley’s hands, out of the said subscription, and to perpetuate the charity, he thereby conveyed the school and property on trust. The school premises consist of a lower room, used as the boys’ school, and an upper room for girls, with a house, built for the resident master, about 1823, at the expense of the Duke of Rutland. Of the £23 18s. 9d., £8 was vested in the hands of the late Mr. Richd. Sheldon, at the interest of 5 per cent., but which has since been expended in the repairs of the school. The residue was in the hands of Mr. John Alwood, a farmer, who died about 1819, without leaving sufficient property to pay his debts.

Ellen Webster’s charity.—(See Bakewell.) No part of this charity was applied for benefit of this school, from 1812 to 1826, but by an account then made, it appears £7 19s. is due as a balance from Mr. Alexander Bossley, which has been paid to the newly elected trustees, by whom it is to be paid, with the surplus of the accruing rents, to the vicar and churchwardens of Youlgreave, to be applied in purchasing good and useful books for the use of the school.

James Roberts, of Alport, by will, 1681, left 40s. to be yearly given to ten of the most needy old men and ten of the poorest widows in Youlgreave. A loaf of bread of the value of 1s., and cheese of the same value, is distributed in the church, after service, on Christmas day. Samuel Roberts, by his will, 1752, confirmed the above, and settled the payment of it on three pieces of land, one called Barrin’s Pingle, and the other the High Flats, in the parish of Youlgreave.

Frances Staley left, by will, in 1728, 40s. yearly, out of two closes called Shogdales. These closes are now the property of Mrs. Brown, who sends 40s. to the vicar, which is distributed to 40 of the poorest inhabitants.

John Hancock, of London, by will, in 1821. gave to his executors £100 three per cent. consolidated bank annuities, to be kept in their own names till six months after the death of his brother, Joseph Hancock, and then to be transferred by them to the vicars and churchwardens of the said parish for the time being, on trust that the dividends should be given to 12 poor parishioners, not being paupers, in bread and coals, on New Year’s day. The annual sum of £3 is transmitted by the executors to Mr. Joseph Hancock, the brother of the donor, which he distributes to about 20 poor persons.

Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity.—(See Bradley.) The annual sum of £5 10s. is paid to the vicar, and is laid out in coarse woollen cloth and flannel, and distributed to the poor about Christmas.

WINSTER CHAPELRY.—Anthony Moore, by will, in 1651, gave to Robert Moore and his heirs all his lands, that 20s. a year should be paid to the poor of Winster for ever on St. Thomas’s day. Robert Moore, mindful to secure the said payment, and to make an aug­mentation thereto of other 20s. a year, after his decease, by indenture dated 27th April 1672, enfeoffed to two persons and their heirs a close called the Grisshill, in Winster, to pay the sum of 40s. yearly, on the feast of St. Thomas.

William Hall, by will, dated 1685, directed that his close, called Grisshill, in Winster, should at his decease be given to the poor of Winster, at the discretion of his executors. The close, stated to contain 1A. 2R, 15P., and worth about £3 a year, was for some time occupied by the overseers of the poor. But the field having since been let, the rent is distributed amongst the poor as above, on St. Thomas’s day.

John Slater, alias Buxton, who was buried in 1694, left to the poor of Winster, 20s. a year out of the revenues of the New Close, to be distributed on the feast of St. John the Evangelist.

Joseph Haynes, who was buried in 1706, gave, by his will, to the poor of Winster, a close called Knot-Greaves; the yearly rents to be paid at three times, viz.—one moiety on Christmas-day, another part on Trinity Sunday, and another on the 2nd July. The close contains 3½ acres, let by the inhabitants for £7 10s. per annum. The overseers receive the rent and distribute it to widows and other poor persons.


654                                                                          HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.


Robert Oates, by will, 1719, left to the minister of Winster for the time being, for ever, the sum of 10s. for a sermon to be preached on the day of his burial, being the 14th May. He also directed 24 wheaten loaves, each of the value of 6d., to be distributed to 24 poor people who should be then present at divine service; and that 2s. should on the same day be paid to the ringers, to be continued for ever. The sum of 24s. is annually paid by the trustees of the late Thos. Norman, out of a close called Headland, in Winster.

Anthony Moore, by will, in 1721, gave lands situate in Dore, and the reversion thereof, to the children of his three sisters and their heirs, &c., subject to payment of 10s. per annum, payable at Michaelmas, on trust, that they should divide the same amongst the poor of Winster, on St. Thomas’s day yearly; and he charged the same on a farm then in the possession of Anthony Siddall. There is no trace of this having been received since 1778, though the returns of 1786 state that it was paid by Anthony Gallimore. We have not been able to identify the farm.

Elizabeth Buxton, by will, 1730, gave 10s. per annum to the curate of Winster and his successors, for preaching a sermon in remembrance of her on the day of her burial; but if that was Sunday, then on the following day; 5s. to the ringers, 20s. to 40 poor inhabi­tants of Winster, and 10s. per annum to buy two bibles, to be given, on the anniversary of the day on which her aunt Ashmore was buried, to two scholars at Winster school; and she gave 10s. yearly to the said curate and his successors, for preaching a sermon in remem­brance of her said aunt, in Winster chapel, on the day of her burial (10th November); 5s. to the ringers, and 20s. yearly to be distribnted to forty poor inhabitants; these to be reputed her aunt’s charity. She also gave 10s. yearly for preaching a sermon in remem­brance of her mother, Anne Buxton, on the day of her interment (15th December); 5s. to the ringers, and 20s. to be distributed to the poor; and she charged the said annual pay­ments on all her lands and tenements situate in Winster. The amount of the above payments, £5 15s,, is paid as issuing out of a close in Winster, called the Ashmore Pingle. The minister receives the sums, and makes the distributions agreeably to the donor’s will.

Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity.—(See Bradley.) The annual sum of £5 10s., received by the incumbent, is laid out in coarse woollen cloth and flannel, and by him distributed to the poor about Christmas.

Thomas Eyre, who died in 1717, gave by his will £20 per annum to the minister, for instructing twenty poor children until they could read a chapter in the bible. The annuity was charged on the estate of the said Thomas Eyre. By indentures, dated 28th and 29th July, 1777, Lady Massarene conveyed an estate called the Great Rocks, in Wormhill, to trustees, charged with the payment of the said annual rent.

Robert Moore, by will, in 1718, reciting that there was paid out of his estate £8 yearly for charitable purposes, viz.—£5 for teaching 10 poor children to read the bible, and £3 yearly in dole money, chargeable as follows,—the £3 to be paid from his moiety of the tithes of wool and lamb, and the £5 to be paid out of the lands devised to his son, Anthony Moore. The annuity of £5 is now paid by the agent of Lord Scarsdale, as charged on the estate in Winster of which he is the owner. We have not found any trace of the payment of £3 as dole money for the poor: and by the act of enclosure passed in 1763, the tithes of lamb and wool are not mentioned.




Post Office at W. Teasdale’s; letters arrive from Bakewell at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 4 45 p.m.


Allwood Mrs. Maria

Bateman Thomas, Esq., Lomberdale House

Bowman Mr. Henry

Brewer Mrs. Elizabeth, Alport

Buckwell Rev. Wm., vicar

Frost Matthew, deputy bar master

Gregory John, surgeon

Gregory Richard, gentleman



YOULGREAVE PARISH.                                                   655


Harrison John, parish clerk

Kenworthy Thomas & George, joiners &

  builders, Bradford

Marsden John, corn miller

Rowland James, tin plate worker

Rowland Thomas, tin plate worker

Shimwell Henry, clock maker

Smith — gent.

Spencer Edmund, surgeon

Teasdale Wm., grocer, druggist & draper

Wardell Mary, dreesmaker


Inns and Taverns.

Boarding House Hotel, Wm. Garratt,


Bull’s Head, John Winson

Farm Yard, Stephen Rowland

Pig of Lead, Eliz. Rowland

William IV., Geo. Woodward (& sculptor)



Liddall Eleanor

Parochial, John and

  Ann Smith



Jones Thomas

Roper Cornelius


Boot & Shoe Mkrs

Billings George

Evans Isaac

Smith Thos., Alport

Swindell John

Swindell Thomas

Toft Henry



Delaney Benjamin

Thompson John



Ball Wm., (cowkpr.)

Birds Thomas

Blore John, Colling-

  low Grange

Coates Samuel, (&


Cooke Mary

Dakin Jph., Mawston

Evans John, (& corn

  miller,) Alport

Garrett George

Garrett John

Gregory Ann, Conks-


Gregory Thomas,

  Meadow place

Howe George
Jones Mary, Conks-

Kenworthy Francis,
Kenworthy James
Kenworthy Wm.,
Nuttall Samuel
Rowland Stephen
Sheldon Ann
Sheldon Ellen, cowkp.
Staley John
Staley Thomas

Mine Owners.

Cooke Jas. & David,

  Longrake Mine

Frost Math. & Co.,

  The Ashes

Garrett Geo. & Wm.

  & Co., Townend


Rowland Stephen &

  Co., Canton Hill

  Pipe Mine

Twigg Jph. sen. & Co.

  Lady Croft Mine



Beebe Thomas, (& ale

  & porter agent)

Cooke David

Garrett George

Salt Abraham

Shimwell Wm.



Marked * are Tomb

Stone Engravers

Evans John

Rowland Jacob

* Rowland John

Shimwell Humphrey

  (& builder)

Shimwell Joseph

Toft James

Toft William



Bottom George

Carson Humphrey

Hill Thomas


Timber Merchant.

Birds Thomas



Carson Alfred

Kenworthy Thomas &


Swindell Samuel



To Buxton, Henry

  Beebe, Tues.


To Chesterfield, Hy.

  Beebe, Sat.




Marsden George vict., Druids Inn, Row Tor

Robinson Mrs. Mary, The Green

Swier John, gamekeeper

Walker Francis, wheelwright and joiner,

  Old Hall

Ward Josiah, corn miller, Eagle Tor Mill



Bradley Jas. Holmes

Dale Jno., Upper Town

Dale Rd., Upper Town

Gregory John, Upper


Heathcote Samuel

Hunstone John

Marsden John

Marsden Jph., Eagle


Willmott Geo., Saving





Briddon Mr. Joseph

Garrett Rev. John Fisher, B.A. perpetual


Knowles George, grocer and provision dlr.

Mountney Richard, butcher

Sheldon Mr. Wm. Ashmore

Sindfield John, blacksmith

Smith Henry, cooper

Webster Mr. Thomas


Inns and Taverns.

Duke of York, Hannah Holmes

Nelson’s Arms, Wm. Hadfield

Red Lion, Robert Joule


656                                                                          HIGH PEAK HUNDRED.



Allsop Jno., Dale End

Boam George

Bridge Benjamin

Dakin John

Dakin John, (& pig

  dlr.,) Cliff

Dakin Wm.

Dale George, Dudwood

Gregory Thos. & Chas.

Hadfield Wm.

Hardy William

Heathcote Geo., (& pig


Housley Mary

Joule Robt., jun.

Marshall Charles

Millner Francis, Dud-


Sheldon Thos, Barker

Sheldon Wm.

Staley Stephen

Wallwin Josiah

Webster George

Webster Richd. Wm.

Wright John

Mine Owners.

Hardy Wm.

Joule James

Pett Daniel

Staley Wm.

Stone George

Stone John

Waterhouse Samuel

Watts Henry

Webster Wm.



Rowland Samuel

Yates Benjamin


Cadman Ann

Dakin Stphn., (& pig


Dakin Sarah

Hadfield Wm.



Smith George

Staley Wm.

Webster James





Dale Elizabeth, The Rock

Hodgkinson John

Sheldon George, Low Fields

Sheldon John and Francis




Boden Rev. Geo., (Indep.)

Brassington John. schoolmaster

Bunting Joseph, blacksmith

Buxton Fras., shoemaker

Buxton Samuel, cattle dlr.

Buxton Wm., cattle dlr.

Calow Thos., colour manufr.

Carson Chas., joiner

Harrison John, farm bailiff

Lucas John, gent., Rock cottage

Marsden Anthony, vict., Bateman’s Arms

Marsden Jno., shopkeeper & corn miller

Palfreyman John, farm bailiff

Parker Mrs. Margaret. The Hall

Parker Wm., ground bailiff

Pursglove Francis, shopkeeper




Archer John

Buxton John

Grindey Isaac, Old-


Grindey James, Kens-

  low Farm

Haywood James, (and


Howe George Martin

Marsden Anthony

Parker Francis

Potter Saml., Smerrill


Pursglove Henry

Prime Daniel, (& clock


Redfern Wm., Castle


Rowland Sarah

Thompson John, Rus-

  den Farm

Titterton John

Woodcock Solomon



Marked 1 reside at Stanton Hill-side, and 2 Stanton Lees.


Thornhill William Pole, Esq., M.P., Stanton

  Hall, and 44, Eaton sq., London

1 Clark Miss Hannah

Doxey Jas., blacksmith

Eman Thos., gardener, Hall

Fryer Henry, carpenter
1 Gregory Jacob, gardener
1 Hardy Mrs. Elizabeth
Howard Mr. Godfrey
Hunter John, land steward

Marsh Hy., stone cutter & quarry owner

Preston Thos., sawyer

Roose Stephen, parish clerk

Smith Jeremiah & Mary, parochial school

1 Yates Miss Martha


Inns and Taverns.

Bay Childers, John Prince

Red Lion, George Kenworthy, (& joiner)

Thorn Tree, Daniel Holmes




Burrs Benjamin

Fentem Thos., Bowers


Gilbert Hy., Lodge

Gregory Jacob, Old


Holmes John

Holmes Sml. Congreve

2 Holmes Walter

2 Howsley Wm.

1 Marsden Joseph

1 Robinson Thomas,

  Heath Cottage

Siddall Edw., Pillough

Siddall John

1 Smith Martha

Stevenson John, Bay


Thomson John, Wood-



Torr Dorothy, Wood-


Twibell Joseph

Twyford Anthony



Daniel A.

Hadfield Benjamin

Siddall George



1 Burrs Benjamin

Holmes George

Howsley Wm.

1 Hunstone Henry

Prince Ann

Siddall John

Twyford Ralph


Stone Masons.

Marsden Abraham

Marsh Hy., (merchnt)

Prince John


YOULGREAVE PARISH.                                                   657




Post Office, at Matthew Taylor’s; letters arrive from Matlock Bath at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 5 15 p.m. in summer, and 3 30 p.m. in winter.


Allen Mrs. Ann

Allen Mr. George

Ashton George, ironmonger & lace agent

Brittlebank Andrew, Esq., Oddo

Brittlebank Benjamin, solicitor

Brittlebank Wm. Thomas, gent.

Burton, Mrs, Elizabeth

Dyke Rev. Wm., incumbent

Gregory John, cowkeeper

Gregory, Joseph, stone mason & builder

Heathcote Joseph, stamp distributor

Hill Wm., vet, surgeon & druggist

Norman Henry H. Esq.

Raynes Ann, dressmaker

Roberts Mr. Thomas

Roberts Miss Elizabeth

Sellers John, plasterer & slater

Sims Wm. Henry, surgeon

Sides William Brittlebank, auctioneer and


Wagstaff Jane, draper & lace agent

Wagstaff John, dep. barmaster

Wardman Charles, cattle dealer

Watts Rev. Wm., (Prim. Methodist)

Wilson Mr. Joseph

Worsley Miss Carill

Worsley Charles Carill, Esq.


Inns and Taverns.

Angel, Wm. Burton, (& tinner)

Bowling Green, Mary Staley

Bull’s Head, George Turner

Crown, John Longden, (& miner)

Miner’s Standard, Joseph Bateinan



Hadfield Elizabeth

Newton Elizabeth

Westall George S.



Burton Anthony

Rains Ralph & Wm.

Thompson James



Bateman Joseph

Bateman Thomas

Caldwell Josiah

Swindell Samuel



Ashton Samuel

Bateman Joseph

Bateman Thomas

Blackwell Joseph

Caldwell Josiah

Hadfield Joseph

Hardy Robert

Gyte William

Haynes Thomas
Jackson James
Longden John
Marsden Jacob
Palfreyman George
Raines John, Moor
Raines Thomas
Rains Ralph & Wm.
Rains Robert
Smith John
Swindell Micah
Swindell Samuel
Wagstaff Ann
Wagstaff George
Wagstaff Samuel
Wild John
Witham Richard
Withaan Samuel
Woolley Samuel


Grocers & Draprs.

Mrkd * Grocers only

* Bradley Wm., (&

  hatter & hosier)

Heathcote Samuel &


* Shaw Alfred

* Foxlow Samuel

Taylor Matthew

Witham Samuel, (&

  agent to Sun Life

  office, & earthen-

  ware dealer)


Joiners & Buildrs.

Ashton George

Rains Anthony


Plumbers, &c.

Gregory George

Heathcote William, &

  painter, glazier, &

  wholesale oil mer-



Saddlers, &c.

Hawksworth Lydia

Rowland James


Ashton James

Boam Francis

Durden Benjamin

Hawksworth Thos.

Salt Andrew

Slack John

Wild John



Barker Samuel

Buxton Wm.

Lomas Henry



Beardow John, (&


Fryer Thomas

Henstock John Hy. &


Rains John

Rains Wm.

Wilson Edward

Wilson John