SUTTON-CUM-DUCKMANTON parish contains the rectory of Sutton and vicarage of Duckmanton, which were consolidated about the year 1558, and has 4,302A. 2R. 38P. of land, and in 1851, had 110 houses, and 587 inhabitants, of whom 311 were males and 276 females; rateable value £5,435.
SUTTON-IN-THE-DALE, a small and scattered district of farms, 4½ miles S.E. by E. from Chesterfield, and 2½ miles S. from Duckmanton, contains 1,988A. 3R. 30P. of fertile land; rateable value £2,246. Robert Arkwright, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole owner. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with nave, chancel, north aisle, and tower with four bells, it is situated close to the Hall, a door from which communicates with the sacred edifice. In the chancel is a handsome marble tablet to
3 D 3
780 SCARSDALE HUNDRED.
Saml. Pierrepont, second son of the Hon. Geo. Pierrepont, sixth son of the Right Hon. Robert, Earl of Kingston, who died Sept. 1st, 1707, aged 56 years. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Duckmanton annexed, valued in the King’s book at £12 16s. ½d., now £309, in the patronage of Robert Arkwright, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Michael M. Humble, B.A. The Hall, a large handsome mansion, which was rebuilt by the late Earl of Scarsdale, stands on an eminence in a fine park of about 280 acres of land, and is the property and seat of Robert Arkwright, Esq., who has greatly beautified the house and improved the estate, having rebuilt nearly the whole of the farm buildings. This manor was given by Wulfric Spott, in the reign of Ethelred, to Burton Abbey. At Domesday survey it belonged to Roger de Poictou. In the year 1255, it was granted to Peter de Harestan. The heiress of Robert de Harestan brought it to Richard de Grey, of Sandiacre. A co-heiress of Grey, alias Hilary, brought it to the Leakes, in the reign of Henry IV., and it became the chief seat of that family. Francis Leake, of Sutton, was created a baronet in 1611, and Lord Deincourt of Sutton, in 1624. In 1643, (the beginning of April,) Lord Deincourt began to fortify his house at Sutton. Sir John Gell sent his brother, Colonel Thomas Gell, with 500 men and three pieces of ordnance to besiege it. Lord Deincourt was summoned, but refused to surrender, and for some time obstinately defended himself. The house was taken, and Lord Deincourt and his men made prisoners: the works were demolished, and Lord Deincourt set at liberty, on giving his word that he would repair to Derby within eight days, and submit himself to the parliament. Sir John Gell observes that the forfeiture of his word on this occasion, was revenged by the garrison at Bolsover, who some time afterwards, when the castle was in the hands of the parliament, plundered Lord Deincourt’s house at Sutton. In 1645, Lord Deincourt was created Earl of Scarsdale. Having rendered himself very obnoxious to the parliament, by his exertions in the royal cause, during the civil wars, his estates were sequestered; and as he refused to compound, they were sold. His son procured some friends to be purchasers, paying the sum of £18,000, fixed by the parliamentary commissioners as the composition. The title became extinct by the death of Nicholas, the fourth earl, in 1736. After this event, the large estates belonging to the family were sold for the payment of debts. Sutton was purchased by Godfrey Clarke, Esq., who was in possession in 1740. The sister and heiress of Godfrey Bagnall Clarke, who died in 1786, married Job Hart Price, Esq., who took the name of Clarke, and left a daughter and heiress married to the Marquis of Ormond, who occasionally resided at the Hall; of whose trustees it was purchased in 1824, by the late Richard Arkwright, Esq., and is now the property of Robert Arkwright, Esq. Sutton is sometimes called Sutton Scarsdale. The feast is on Whit Sunday.
DUCKMANTON, a long scattered village, running N. and S., usually designated Long, Middle, and Far Duckmanton, of which Middle Duckmanton is 4 miles E. from Chesterfield, and 2½ miles W. from Bolsover, contains 2,313A. 3R. 8P. of fertile land. Robt. Arkwright, Esq., the sole owner. Here formerly was a church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, at Long Duckmanton, which it is supposed was taken down about the year 1558, when this vicarage was consolidated with the rectory of Sutton. The Rectory House is a handsome brick mansion, erected in 1842, situated at a turn of the road betwixt Long and Middle Duckmanton, with 59 acres of glebe. Many of the inhabitants are employed at the collieries and iron-works in the immediate neighbourhood. Long Course, a handsome well-arranged farm house, pleasantly situated on an eminence, 1 mile S. from Duckmanton, commanding a fine view of Sutton Hall and Park, is occupied by Mr. John Norton, farm steward to Robert Arkwright, Esq. In 1856, Robert Arkwright, Esq., built on the site of the ancient church here, a large and commodious room for the use of the parish generally, and in digging for the foundation, sixteen skeletons were found, one of which measured six feet from the crown of the skull to the ancle joint, the feet not being found; in most of the skulls the teeth were quite perfect. Here are some rich beds of coal and ironstone. The manor of Duckmanton was given by Wulfrie Spott to Burton Abbey. At the Domesday survey it belonged to Ralph Fitz-Hubert. Geoffrey Fitz-Peter purchased the manor
SUTTON-CUM-DUCKMANTON PARISH. 781
of Sir Richard de Wyverton, for Welbeck Abbey. Sir Richard Bassett gave the vill of Duckmanton to the Abbey: afterwards Henry de Stuteville confirmed Duckmanton to the Abbey. King Henry VIII. granted the manor, about 1538, to Francis Leake, Esq., since which it has passed with Sutton. The endowed school is at Duckmanton; and the feast Sunday after Midsummer day.
CHARITIES.—Sutton and Duckmanton School, in 1791, being in a ruinous state, was pulled down by the rector and trustees, and a new one built on the site, by subscription; the school is endowed with sixteen acres of land, which is supposed to have been appropriated by the lord and freeholders of the manor, to the use of a schoolmaster, for the instruction of poor children. The school lands were let for £18 per annum, paid half-yearly to the schoolmaster, for which he taught 20 children. The 16 acres of land having been purchased by Robert Arkwright, Esq., the trustees bought 45 acres of land in the parish of Brampton, now let for £40 per year, and are now (1856) erecting a new school on the site of the old one for the education of the children in the parish; it will be a neat brick building, capable of accommodating about 80 children. Formerly 20 children were educated free for the £18, arising from rise 16 acres of land, but a charter having been obtained from the Lord Chancellor, the trustees are now authorized to charge 2d. per week for each child who attends school, for instruction in reading, writing, and arithmetic; and in order that the said charity may not be lost sight of in the said parish, the trustees for the time being, shall cause to be put up in the most public part of the pariah church, a board or slab, containing a short account of the charity, the amount of its funds, and an explanation of its object, and that such board or slab should always kept clean and legible.
Rev. John Curry, formerly rector of the parish, left by will, 1693, £20, for the use of the poor. Margaret Ronzier, gave in her lifetime £34. William Widdowson, 1735, directed that his executor should yearly lay out 12s, in the purchase of 15 loaves, to be distributed to six poor widows. Samuel Dowker, 1738, gave to the poor of Sutton and Duckmanton 10s. a year to buy bread; and 10s. to the parson, to preach a sermon on New Year’s day. The sum of £120, arising from these charities, was lent on the turnpike road from Matlock to Chesterfield. The interest having been in arrears four years, was added to the principal, in 1774, and again, in 1782, whereby it was increased to £190 16s.; the interest amounts to £2 17s. 3d., out of which the rector receives 10s. for preaching a sermon on New Year’s Day; the remainder is distributed to the poor..
Francis Leach, left for the use of the poor, 3s. yearly, issuing out of a farm in Bolsover Woodhouse, which is usually paid once in four years. The payment made of 12s., in 1823, was improperly carried to the parish account, but is now distributed in accordance with the will of the donor.
Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity (see Bradley). The annual sum of £7 5s., received by the rector, is laid out in coarse woollen cloth and flannel, and distributed to the poor about Christmas.
(1856.) For the last thirty years, Robert Arkwright, Esq., has given annually at Christmas an ox, to be divided amongst the poor of the parish; and to which the farmers have added £5 for the purchase of bread.
Those marked * reside at Duckmanton.
Post Office at Alfred Bennett’s, Duckmanton. Letters arrive from Chesterfield at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 4.30 p.m.
Arkwright Robert, Esq., The Hall
* Brookes, William, overlooker
Broom John, gardener, The Hall
Bunting Francis, & John Freeman, millers,
Sutton Mill and Bolsover
* Cowlishaw John, blacksmith
* Gladwin Daniel, clerk, Duckmanton Works
* Humble Rev. Michael M., B.A., Rectory
Laughton Charles, butler, The Hall
Marsh George, parish clerk
* Mills Mansfeldt F., estate agent, The Lodge
Noton John, farm steward, Longcourse
* Oates Matth., victualler, White Swan
Pemberton Joseph, gamekeeper
* Watkinson Thomas, shoemaker
* White Wm. Mower, schoolmaster
Winfield Richard, joiner
782 SCARSDALE HUNDRED.
* Alsop George
* Belfield Robert
* Britt William
Britt William, jun.,
Bunting Fras., Lane
* Bunting Henry
* Cantrill Israel
* Crofts Joseph
* Crofts William
* Smith Thomas
* Hole John
* Johnson Robert
* Johnson Sampson
* Johnson William
* Parker Wm., Moor
Pearce Eliz., Lodge
* Pearce Leonard
* Pearce Richard
Potter Wm., Spring
* Rains Stephen
Taylor Peter, Sutton
* Alsop George, jun.
* Bennett Alfred (and
* Weeds Henry (and
TIBSHELF, a parish and considerable village, consisting of one long street, 4 miles N.N.E. from Alfreton, 8 miles S.S.E. from Chesterfield, and 18 miles N.E. from Derby; contains 2,400 acres of land, principally a loamy soil, on the Nottinghamshire border; and in 1851 had 166 houses, and 806 inhabitants, of whom 406 were males, and 400 females; rateable value, £2,415 12s. 6d. St. Thomas’s Hospital, Southwark, London, are lords of the manor, and owners of 1,750 acres of land. The Duke of Devonshire, Robert Millward, Esq., and John Chambers, Esq., are also owners. The parish abounds in coal, and besides the employment at the collieries, some of the inhabitants are employed in frame-work knitting of cotton hose. The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a handsome structure, rebuilt in 1729, situated at the eastern extremity of the village, and has nave, chancel, side aisles, embattled tower, and five bells. In 1850, a beautiful painted window was put up in the chancel; the work of Miss Sharpe, of London; the subjects being St. John the Baptist, and the Four Evengelists. In the church is an ancient monument, for Ann Clarke, who died in 1699, aged 80 years. She bequeathed, by will, £20 to the poor of this parish for ever. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s book, £4 5s. 3d., now £172; Mrs. Packman, of Tupton Hall, the patron, and the Rev. Francis William Sharpe, B.A., the incumbent, who resides at the vicarage, a commodious house, a little west of the church. This church formerly was appropriated to the Nuns of Brewode, in Staffordshire, after which the impropriation was given to St. Thomas’s Hospital, and the large tithes have been sold by them to the landowners; the vicarial have been commuted for £185 18s. 4d. Here are 42 acres of glebe. The Parochial school is a small brick building, with one room. It is supported by voluntary contributions and the children’s pence; about 30 boys and 12 girls attend. A lodge of Odd Fellows is held at the Wheat Sheaf Inn. The manor of Tibecel, at the Domesday survey, was held by one Robert, under the King. In the reign of King John, it was in the baronial family of Heriz, from whom it passed, by successive female heirs, to Belers and Swillington. R. de Swillington was seized of it in 1429; Sir William Pierrepont was possessed of it in 1513; it was given, in 1552, to St. Thomas’s Hospital, by its founder, King Edward VI., being described as parcel of the endowment of the dissolved hospital of the Savoy. Feast, first Sunday after the 29th of June. Biggin, two farms, ¾ mile N. from Tibshelf. Doe Hill, a pleasant house, 1 mile W., was formerly noted for a medicinal spring, of which there was also a similar one at the foot of the village, both much celebrated; here the parish have an acre of ground for a stone quarry, for building purposes. At Hirst, ¾ mile N.E., is the neat mansion and seat of John Chambers, Esq. Marlpits, a farm, on high ground ½ mile E.; this place is approached by a gradual ascent, but commands a most extensive prospect; 11 parish churches can be seen with the naked eye, including Lincoln Minster, the town of Derby, Axe Edge, and the mountains of the High peak. This parish partakes of the charity of the Rev. Francis Gisborne. (See Bradley.) The sum of £7 5s. is received and distributed in coarse woollens to the poor about Christmas.
Post Office at Samuel Hill’s. Letters arrive from Alfreton at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m. in winter, and 5.30 p.m. in summer.
TIBSHELF DIRECTORY. 783
Bennett William, saddle; harness, oil
cloth, and nail manufacturer
Brookes John, tailor
Chambers John, land surveyor and coal
master, Hurst House
Close George, frame-work knitter
Cooke George, corn miller
Davenport James, wheelwright
Heald Mr. Robert
Hill Ann, beerhouse
Hill Charles, cowkeeper, Nethermoor
Hill Saml. and Alice, parochial school
Milward Robert, coal master, Tibshelf
Colliery; h. Nether Moor House
Milward Robert, jun., brick and tile maker,
and malster, Nethermoor
Reynolds Wm., working engineer, Marlpits
Sampson Mrs., draper
Sharpe Rev. Fras. Wm., B.A., vicar
Inns and Taverns.
Crown, Martha Ashmoor
Wheat Sheaf, William Barrett
White Hart, William Blanksby
Ford John (and corn
Haslam John, Upper
Ashmoor Samuel (and
Becket Thos., Biggin
Hall William, Goose
Heath Wm. (& parish
Heath Wm., Marlpits
Hill Rd. (and timber
Hill Sarah, Biggin
Johnson Geo., Cock
Speed Jph., Cock Top
Ward Wm., Doe Hill
Taylor Hy, Marlpits
Carrier to Chester-
John Thorpe, Sat., &
WHITTINGTON is a large flourishing village and parish, 2½ miles N. from Chesterfield, contains 1491A. 0R. 3P. of land, and in 1851, had 196 houses and 874 inhabitants, of whom 456 were males, and 418 females; rateable value, £4,185 5s. It was enclosed by an act passed 1821, the award signed March, 1825, when all the tithes and moduses were commuted. The principal owners are, John and Wm. Fowler, Esqs., the Rev. W. M. Pierce, Mr. Geo. Jenkinson, Mr. Samuel Jenkinson, Chas. Steade, Esq., J. B. Jebb, Esq., John Crusoe, Esq., and Richard Barrow, Esq. ; the two former are lords of the manor. Here are also many other small freeholders. The Church, dedicated to St. Barthlomew, is a neat stone edifice, with chancel, side aisles, and low tower. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s book £7 10s. 10d., now £302. The Bishop of Lichfield patron. Rev. Geo. Gordon, rector; and the Rev. Robt. Robinson, M.A., resident officiating curate. In the church is the monument of the late Samuel Pegge, L.L.D., the antiquary, author of the “Life of Bishop Grossetete,” “History of Beauchief Abbey,” “Bolsover and Peak Castles,” “Dissertations on Coins and other Antiquarian Subjects.” He also collected considerable materials for a history of Derbyshire, now deposited in the Herald’s college. Dr. Pegge was 45 years rector of Whittington, where he died, Feb. 14, 1796, in the 92d year of his age: he was born at Chesterfield, 1704. In the churchyard is the monument of Chpr. Smith, Esq., of London, who left £550 to the corporation, for the relief of disabled and wounded seamen. In the parish register is the following remarkable entry:— “Thomas Ashton, son of Mr. Arthur and Mrs. Jane Bulkeley, was baptized July 1st, 1664. Godfathers—Edward Downes, great, great, uncle; Dr. Charles Ashton, great, great, great uncle; Joseph Ashton, gent., great, great, great uncle. Goodmothers—Mrs. Wood, great, great, great aunt; Mrs. Wainwright, great, great grandmother; Mrs. Green, great grandmother.”
At the Domesday survey, Whittington is described as a hamlet of Newbold. The paramount manor, which had been in the Peverels, was granted by King John, to Wm.
784 SCARSDALE HUNDRED.
Briewere, from whose family it passed to the Wakes. The Boythorps, Bretons, and Foljambes held it successively as mesne lords; but the immediate possession was from an early period in the family of Whittington, whose heiress married Dethick. A co-heiress of Dethick brought it, about the year 1488, to the Poles, who held it under Foljambe. Geo. Pole had two daughters, co-heiresses, who brought this manor, towards the latter part of the 17th century, in moieties to Frith and Chaworth. Frith’s moiety passed by marriage to Sir Chas. Sedley, who sold it to Mr. Richd. Gillett, who about 1813, sold his moiety to Mr. John Dixon. Three-fourths of the other moiety passed to the Launder family, also sold to Mr. Dixon. The remaining eighth belonged to the children of the late Samuel Hinde, who in 1856, sold it to Messrs. John and Wm. Fowler.
There are few places in England equally distinguished in the annals of history with the village of Whittington. When King James II. was endeavouring to assume arbitrary power, and to re-establish Popery in this kingdom, several noblemen and gentlemen of distinguished rank and fortune, met at Whittington, with a view of defeating his purpose; amongst whom were the Earls of Devonshire, and Danby, Lord Delamere, and Mr. John D’Arcy, son and heir of Conyers, Earl of Holderness; Sir Scroop How, also embarked in the execution of this great design, but it is not certain that he met them on the present occasion. Whittington Moor was the place appointed for holding their deliberations, but a shower, of rain falling at the time, they repaired to the village for shelter, and finished their consultation at a public house, the Cock and Magpie, which from this remarkable event has acquired the celebrated name of the “Revolution House.” On the 5th of Nov., 1788, the hundredth anniversary of the revolution was, on account of the above event celebrated with great splendour and magnificence at Whittington and Chesterfield. The commemoration commenced at Whittington with Divine service at the Church. The Rev. Saml. Pegge, rector of the parish, delivered a sermon, and the descendants of the illustrious houses of Cavendish, Osborne, Boothe, and D’Arcy, a numerous and powerful gentry, a a wealthy and respectable yeomanry, and an attentive peasantry, formed an audience which has seldom been equalled on any occasion. After service, the company went in succession to view the Old Revolution House, with the arm chair in which the Earl of Devonshire is said to have sat, and then partook of a cold collation, which was prepared in the new rooms annexed to the cottage. The procession to Chesterfield then began. It consisted of the members of eight Friendly societies, amounting to about two thousand persons, walking four and four, and carrying flags with mottos and devices. The band of music belonging to the Derbyshire militia. The corporation of Chesterfield, in their robes of office, joined the procession on entering the town. The following noblemen in their coaches, with attendants on horseback, joined the procession:—The Duke of Devonshire, Earl of Stamford, Earl of Danby, Lord Francis Osborne, Lord Geo. Cavendish, Lord John Cavendish, Sir Francis Molyneux, and Sir Henry Hunloke, Bart., in Sir Henry’s coach; and upwards of 40 other carriages of the neighbouring gentry, with their attendants, genty on horseback, three and three; and servants on horseback in the same manner. The whole was conducted with order and regularity; notwithstanding there were so large a number of carriages, four hundred gentlemen on horseback, and an astonishing throng of spectators, not an accident happened. All was joy and gladness, without a single burst of unruly tumult and uproar. Persons of all ranks wore orange and blue, in memory of our glorious deliverer, King William III. And the most respectable Roman Catholic families vied in their endeavour to shew how just a sense they had of the value of civil liberty. On the day previous to the jubilee, the committee appointed to conduct the proceedings dined together in the Revolution House; and his Grace the Duke of Devonshire, the Earl of Stamford, Lord George and Lord John Cavendiah, with several neighbouring gentlemen were present. A subscription was entered into for erecting a monumental column on that spot where the first meeting was held, which was so highly instrumental in rescuing the liberties of the country from perdition; however, the idea of erecting a column on Whittington Moor was afterwards given up, and the sum (£230)
WHITTINGTON PARISH. 785
subscribed was given to the Derby infirmary. Chesterfield races are still held on Whittington Moor. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in Whittington, erected 1828, and the Primitive Methodists have one, erected in 1849. The Endowed School,—(see charities,)—was formerly held in an old building in the churchyard, which was taken down, and in 1850, a handsome stone building was erected in its stead in the centre of the village. Brown House, is a neat mansion, half mile W. of the Church, the seat and property of Chas. Steade, Esq. Messrs. Thos. Firth & Sons, of Sheffield, are erecting extensive iron works here, close to the railway at the east end of the parish, near which a great number of cottage houses are now in course of erection.
CHARITIES.—Peter Webster, in 1674, left £200 on trust, to be invested in land for the maintenance of a schoolmaster. He also devised a messuage in the parish, and directed a sum of 36s. yearly to be given to 6 poor scholars, to buy them books, and the residue of the rents to be distributed to the poor. The property consists of a farm in Unstone, let for £23 2s., a piece of land set out at the inclosure in 1825, let for £2 2s., and two allotments on Whittington common, let for £3 per annum; the whole amounts to £30 6s., out of which £25 4s. is paid to a schoolmaster, 36s. to 6 poor scholars, and the remainder is distributed to the poor.
Joshua Webster, in 1696, devised his messuage and lands for the education of 10 poor children, in case his son, Peter Webster, should die without issue. By indenture, 1785, the said Peter Webster conveyed to trustees, for the purposes mentioned in the will, the Plumtree farm, let on lease for 99 years at a rental of £10 10s. The farm contains 21A. 2R. 33P., and the present value is stated to be £35 or £40 per annum. There is also a house let to the schoolmaster, and some allotments, belonging this estate. The schoolmaster receives £10 10s. for teaching 10 poor children.
Poor’s Lands.—Before the inclosure there were three small parcels of land let for £1 14s. a year, which was given to the poor. Another piece of land, let for 10s. a year, was applied to put out an apprentice, in lieu of which 11A. 1R. 4P., were awarded at the inclosure, now let for £12 19s. The rents are partly reserved to pay £51 3s. 2d., the expenses of the inclosure.
Nicholas Sprentall, in 1636, gave 20s., issuing out of Hudgrave meadow, to be distributed every Christmas to the poor.
Godfrey Wolstenholme, in 1682, left £25 to buy gowns, for two poor widows in Whittington. The amount was invested in land, and by the award of the commissioners, 2A. 2R. 3P. were allotted in exchange, which is let for 25s. per annum, and expended in two gowns for poor widows. The land is worth about 30s. an acre, but the tenant has laid out £50 in fencing and levelling, and consequently before the rent is advanced he ought to be repaid.
John Hind, in 1724, gave 50s., the interest to be given to the poor.
George Gilberthorpe, in 1729, left £6 for a distribution of bread, the clerk to have a share, on the six Sundays in Lent.
Elizabeth Bulkley, in 1740, gave money producing 6s. a year, this appears to be lost, as nothing has for many years been received.
Peter Webster, in 1750, gave to the minister, churchwardens, and overseers, the sum of £600 on trust, to be invested in government securities, and the dividends paid to 6 poor persons, 3 men and 3 woman, one half year in money and the other in clothes. In 1755, the amount was invested in the south sea annuities. The dividends amounting to £18 a year, are usually given in money to 6 poor persons.
Samuel Holmes, in 1753, left £10 for the benefit of the poor. In 1810, this money was paid by Joseph Brown to John Naylor, one of the overseers, for which he never accounted.
Elizabeth Burton, in 1757, left 6s. per annum, for a distribution of bread; the amount is charged on three cottages and gardens, the owner of which furnishes the bread every Sunday in Lent.
786 SCARSDALE HUNDRED.
Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity.—(See Bradley.)—The annual sum of £5 10s., received by the incumbent, is laid out in flannel and given to the poor at Christmas.
Post Office at John Widdowson’s; letters arrive from Chesterfield at 8 a.m., and Ridgeway at 5 p.m., and are despatched to Chesterfield at 5 p.m.
Adlington Robt., surgeon and M.D.
Bargh Mr. George
Bower Mr. George
Bousfield Frederick, coal agent, Whittington
Cupit Mr. Augustus
Edge George, master, Endowed School
Firth Thos. & Sons, iron and steel manufrs.,
Whittington Iron Works
Firth John, Esq., ironmaster
Fowler William, Esq., The Hall
Lupton Arthur, gent., Holly House
Naylor John, millwright and engineer
Ollivant Geo, and Wm., mole catchers
Robinson Rev. Robert, M.A., curate
Ryan John, schoolmaster
Shipley James, plumber and glazier
Steade Charles, Esq., Broom House
Swanwick Frederick, Esq.
Syddall Mr. John
Thompson James, farm bailiff
Thorpe Charles, blacksmith
Williams John E., manufacturing chemist
Inns and Taverns.
Bulls head, Hannah Cook
Cock and Magpie, and Revolution House,
Miners Arms, Sidney Orwin
Sheep Bridge Inn, Henry Thornton
White Horse, Joseph Hartley
Longden Wm., Moor
Brick & Tile Mkrs.
Mart Wm., Moor
Harrison & Co., West
W. Blackburn, agt.
Pierce Fras. R. Whit-
Fdk. Bousfield, agt.
Thornton Hy., Sheep
Collis John, Sheep
Pierce Fras. R.
Joiners & Builders.
WHITWELL is an extensive parish and large agricultural village, on the Chesterfield and Worksop road, 11¾ miles E.N.E. from the former and 4½ miles W. by S. from the latter. The village, which is irregularly built, is picturesquely situated on declivities to the west and south, the houses are principally stone and roofed with slate. This parish forms the north-east extremity of the county, where, by an angular point, it stretches to the Shire oak, formerly celebrated for overshadowing into the counties of Derby, Nottingham, and York; on the site of the ancient tree a flourishing young oak is now growing, in Shireoaks, parish of Worksop. It is a deeply undulating district, principally on limestone, the eastern verge mostly sand, altogether good corn land in a high state of cultivation, and contains 5079A. 1R. 28P. of land, including 400A. of woods, besides various other plantations, &c. In 1851 here were 280 houses and 1355 inhabitants, of whom 700 were males, and 655 females; rateable value £3327 17s. 7d. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor and principal owner. The Duke of Newcastle, Henry Bowdon, Esq., with several others are also owners. The Church, situated on an eminence at the west end of the village, is dedicated to Saint Lawrence; it is a commodious structure in the form of a cross, and has nave, chancel, transcepts, and large porches, with a square tower, in which are three
WHITWELL PARISH. 787
bells. The interior is neatly fitted up and contains several monuments of great antiquity. In the chancel is a gravestone to the memory of Radulph Rye, Esq., of magnesian limestone, with an inscription round the margin, inlaid with pitch, which has penetrated the stone so much as to form one solid body. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s book at £12 3s. 4d., now £625, in the patronage of the Duke of Portland, and incumbency of the Rev. Evelyn Boothby, B.A., who resides at the Rectory, a good residence on an elevation opposite the church. The Wesleyan Association Methodists have a neat brick chapel here with a gallery at the east end, erected in 1846, at a cost of £273, including land, &c. it has seats for about 200 of which 150 are free. Adjoining the church is a school for boys and girls, with a house for the master and mistress, which is chiefly supported by the Duke of Portland and Lady Bentinck. The commons were enclosed under an act passed in 1813. Tithes have been commuted for £642 per annum. Framework knitting was carried on here formerly to a great extent, but is now altogether discontinued. A hiring for servants was also held on the 1st of November, which has long been obselete. The Feast is held nearest Sunday to St. Lawrence.
Baxton Moor situate on a bold elevation, half a mile S. is a small scattered hamlet, Belph, another small hamlet extending from 1 to 1½ miles S.E. The manor of Whitwell was given by Wulfrie Spott, in the reign of King Ethelred, to Burton Abbey. At Domesday survey it belonged to Ralph Fitz-Hubert. Ralph de Rye was lord of the manor in 1330, and stated in answer to a quo warranto, that his ancestors had a park at Whitwell from time immemorial. Edward Rye, Esq. sold Whitwell, in the year 1563, to Richard Whalley, whose grandson of the same name, conveyed it, in 1592, to John Manners, Esq. (afterwards Sir John Manners) ancestor of the Duke of Rutland. In 1813, a treaty was commenced for the exchange of this manor for that of Barlow. Robert de Meynell, Lord of Whitwell, was one of the early benefactors to Welbeck abbey. The heiress of Meynell married Hathersage, and the co-heiress of Hathersage, Goushill, and Longford, who held it in moieties, and it passed to the Pipes or Pypes, and was sold by Humphrey Pipe, Esq., in 1593, to John Manners, abovementioned, and exchanged with the Duke of Portland. The old manor house, now the old hall, was the seat of Sir Roger Manners, in the reign of Charles I.
STEETLEY, or STETLEY, 2½ miles N.E., at the extremity of the county, adjoining to Nottinghamshsre, was formerly a place of some note, though now only a farm house, yet it appears anciently to have been a parish and a rectory. The Vavasour family, and the Frechevilles, who succeeded them in the manor, presented to the rectory, in 1348, 1355, and 1370. The manor was conveyed by the Frecheville family to that of Wentworth, in or about the year 1571. It afterwards became parcel of the Worksop estate, and belonged to the Duke of Norfolk, but was sold to the Duke of Newcastle in 1842. The church, near the present farm house, exhibits a very complete specimen of the later and more enriched style of Saxon architecture, on a small scale, it has a nave and chancel, each 26 feet in length, the east end being circular and vaulted. The ribs of the arches, and the capitals of the half pillars from which they spring, are much enriched with mouldings, grotesque heads, foliage, and other ornaments. A cornice runs round the upper part of the building, on the outside. The arch of the south doorway is ornamented with zig-zag mouldings and heads; the shafts of the pillars are covered with sculptured foliage and other ornaments, in the style of the south doorway of Ely cathedral. It is covered with ivy and has long been desecrated. In 1828 several bodies were discovered in the burial ground. There are many scattered farms extending from 1 to 2 miles from the village. The hamlet of Cresswell is given with Elmton.
CHARITIES.—Mrs. Drewe, who died 1708, gave £5 to the use of the poor.
Peter Fox, who died 1732, gave by will, £3 to the poor. The amount, £8, is in the hands of George Porter, of Whitwell, at 4 per cent. interest.
Edward England, gave 5s. yearly to the poor, which is paid out of a homestead and some land in Whitwell.
788 SCARSDALE HUNDRED.
Thomas Pilkington, who died 1756, gave the interest of £7 to the poor. The yearly sum of 18s. derived from the above benefactions is distributed at the church, on St. Thomas’s day amongst poor widows.
Joseph Bright, gave £5 to the poor, but this sum was lost by the insolvency of the person in whose hands it was placed at interest.
Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity.—See Bradley.—The annual sum of £5 10s. received by the incumbent, is laid out in coarse woollen cloth and flannel, and given to the poor.
Post Office, at Joseph Swift’s; letters arrive by mail (gig) from Chesterfield at 9 a.m. and are despatched at 4.30 p.m.
Alletson Fredk., gamekeeper
Baker Wm., saddler and harness mkr.
Billam Mrs. Sarah
Boaler Caroline, ladies’ boarding school
Boothby Rev. Evelyn, B.A., Rectory
Chaloner Mr. Thomas
Flower Edward, spirit mcht.
Hardcastle Thos. & Mary, Free School
Hind John, corn miller, Belph
Legat George, farm bailiff
Parkin Mr. John, Belph moor
Parkin Mary, straw bnt. mkr., Belph moor
Reynolds Robt., cook at Welbeck, Millwood
Rodgers Mrs. Ann, Baxton moor
Rodgers John, bricklayer, builder, & quarry
owner, Baxton moor
Rotherham Miss Ann, Rose Cottage
Sponge John, painter & glazier at Welbeck
Unwin Geo., land agt., Southfield Cottage
Westby Geo., wheelwright at Welbeck
Inns and Taverns.
Boot and Shoe, Joseph Webster
Butchers’ Arms, Peter Legat
Dale Inn, Thomas Ellis
Half Moon, Geo. Shipman, Red hill
Jug and Glass, Wm. Tinker
Old George Inn, Charles Alletson
Portland Arms, Geo. Heartley, Belph
Norman Daniel, Bax-
Heartley Geo., Belph
Bowler Eliz., Belph
Eccles Reuben, Birks
Ellis John, White-
Glossop Peter, Com-
Hydes Wm., Walls
Milner John, Walls
Rodgers John, Bax-
Smith Thos. Wm.,
Webster Geo., Butt
Wilson John, Dumb
Wilson Matthew, (&
Brunt Eliz., (and
Turner Thomas, Bax-
Rodgers John, (and
Straw Hat Mkrs.
Parkin Mary, Belph
Foulds Astley Cooper
Brown John, Bax-
WINGERWORTH PARISH. 789
WINGERWORTH parish, formerly considered a chapelry in Chesterfield parish, consists of the Hall, and several small hamlets, and contains 2,907A. 2R. 13P. of land, mostly a clay soil, abounding in coal, of which 1,460A. are meadow and pasture, 700A. woods, 666A. arable, and 8lA. 2R. 13P, roads, water, and waste, and in 1851 had 95 houses, and 463 inhabitants, of whom 244 were males, and 219 females; rateable value £4310 3s. 1d. The late Sir Henry John Joseph Hunloke, Bart., was the principal owner and lord of the manor. The Family seat is Wingerworth Hall, a large elegant stone mansion in a well wooded park, 2¼ miles S.S.W. from Chesterfield; it was rebuilt between the years 1726 and 1729, by Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, the third baronet. The principal front is to the east, having the entrance from a broad flight of steps; the top is surrounded by balustrades, ornamented with globes and urns. It is now occupied by Wilmer Wilmer, Esq. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, situated near the Hall, is a very ancient structure, with an embattled tower and three bells, which having become considerably dilapidated, has been restored, new paved, pewed, and provided with 2 good stoves for warming it. It contains some relics of stained glass, and several monuments to the Hunloke family, amongst which are two to the memories of respectively, Sir Henry John Joseph Hunloke, Bart., who died unmarried on the 8th February, 1856, and to Sir James Hunloke, Bart., who died 22nd June, 1856. The living is a perpetual curacy, certified value in the King’s book £16, now £74, has been augmented with £200 benefactions, and £400 Queen Anne’s bounty. The Bishop of Lichfield is patron, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are impropriators, and have 30A. 1R. 21P. of glebe, and the incumbent 15A. 1R. 23P. of glebe. The tithes are commuted for £248 10s. for the large, and £34 10s. for the small. The Rev. Samuel Revel, M.A., is the incumbent. The manor was in the family of Brailsford as early as the reign of Henry II. At a later period it belonged to the Curzons, of whom it was purchased, in the reign of Henry VIII., by Nicholas Hunloke. His grandson, Henry Hunloke, Esq., being at a very advanced age, died suddenly at Ilkeston, in this county, in the presence of King James I., to whom, as sheriff of the county, he went to pay his respects, and attended him thus far on his progress, in the year 1624. His son Henry, who is said to have been only four years of age at the time of his father’s death, distinguished himself as a zealous royalist, raised a troop of horse at his own expense for Colonel Frecheville’s regiment, of which he was lieutenant-colonel, and distinguished himself at the battle of Edge Hill, in 1642, where he was knighted on the field, and in the same year created a baronet. Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, the fifth baronet, died in 1816, and was succeeded by his son, the late Sir Henry John Joseph, born in 1812, and who died in February, 1856. On his death the title reverted to his uncle, the late Sir James Hunloke, who, however, only enjoyed it for a few months, dying in June, 1856, when the baronetey and male issue became extinct. However, under the will of the last Sir Henry, the name and arms of Hunloke only, are to be borne by each successive owner (among his collateral relations), or to whom he may entail the estate; at present, and until certain events arrive among his immediate next heirs, he has put the management of his entire property into the hands of trustees, who are the Duke of Devonshire, and Wilmer Wilmer, Esq., of London, and they are in possession of the mansion and domain and the rest of the property. In this parish are extensive iron mines, and a foundry, held under the Hunloke estate, by Messrs. Yates, and Co., of Rotherham; also large collieries, worked by the Wingerworth Coal Company, and by the Clay Cross Company, so that there is a great demand for labour, and an extensive and valuable mineral field in full operation.
Wingerworth Hall was taken possession of for the Parliament, and garrisoned in the year 1643. It is said that the estate, though sequestered, was preserved from injury by Colonel Michel, a Parliamentary officer, who married the widow of the loyal Sir Henry Hunloke, who died in 1648.
Among Dr. Pegge’s notes, mention is made that Ann Ash died at Wingcrworth, in 1789, aged 104, and her tombstone records the fact. Feast, last Sunday in October. Here are
790 SCARSDALE HUNDRED.
some extensive stone and slate quarries, and various scattered farms. Birdholme Cottage, 1¼ mile N.E. Bole Hill, 1 mile S.W.
Derby Lane, a scattered district of houses, on the Chesterfield and Derby road. Harper Hill, 1¾ miles W.N.W. Hill Houses, a small hamlet, ¾ mile W.S.W. from the church. Lidgate, ½ mile W. Stonedge, 2¾ miles S.W., adjoins the Moors; here several basins and two seats are excavated in Stonedge Cliff.
Stubbing Court, a handsome mansion, 1 mile W., in a secluded situation, with park-like grounds, is the seat of Thomas Humphrey Pedley, Esq., and the property of Mrs. Gladwin.
Swathwick, a small village on the Walton and Chesterfield road, 1½ miles N.N.W. from the church.
CHARITIES.—John Stanford, who died in 1736, made in his lifetime some charitable provision, supposed to be verbal, as no record remains; but it appears from a paper, in the hand-writing of Sir Henry Hunloke, who died in 1804, that, as trustee of charity money under the name of that gentleman, he was possessed of £800 stock, New South Sea annuities. Since that period, £27 annually has been paid by the Hunloke family. Of the £27 received, £19 is paid to a schoolmaster at Hill Houses, where a school was built by Sir Henry Hunloke, about 1758. There is also a dwelling-house and garden, which the master occupies rent-free, in consequence of which 20 poor children are instructed. In 1856, W. Wilmer, Esq., one of the trustees under the will of the late Sir Henry Hunloke, gave the master notice to strike off the books, on the 1st of December, the 20 free scholars, and to charge them in future a trifle per week, according to what they require. Out of the residue the school premises are repaired, and the surplus is distributed amongst the poor.
Ellen Lowe, in 1669, left £20 to be laid out in land, the rent to be distributed yearly amongst poor widows. The sum of 20s. was secured on a field called the White Banks, in Hasland, and is distributed on Shrove Tuesday.
Godfrey Foljambe’s charity (see Chesterfield).—One-twelfth share was originally apportioned to this pariah, which, in 1827, amounted to £26 19s. 10d., for distribution to the poor; but we have recommended, as a more certain scale, that the division should be made according to the population of 1821, of which this parish will receive £4 17s., taking the income at £220.
Rev. Francis Gisborne’s charity (see Bradley). The annual sum of £5 10s., received by the incumbent, is laid out in coarse woollen cloth and flannel, which is distributed to the poor.
Post Office at Mr. William Ivory Fletcher’s; letters arrive from Chesterfield at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.
Davis Joseph, horse breaker
Gascoygne Thomas, shoemaker, Swathwick
Gratton Joseph, cooper, Bole Hill
Mellor John, timber merchant
Oates George, farm steward
Parke John, shopkeeper
Pedley Thos. Humphrey, Esq., Stubbing
Revel Rev. Saml., incumbent., Harper Hill
Rutherford Jesse, stone merchant, Bole Hill
Rutherford Mr. William; Bole Hill
Wharton Aaron, gamekeeper
Wilmer Wilmer, Esq., The Hall
Wright Wm., wheelwright, Nether Moor
Inns and Taverns.
Barley Mow, Elizabeth Revell
Hunloke Arms, William Marshall
Bower G. Gorsey Place
Collis Wm., Stone Edge
Goodlad Wm., Swath-
Greaves John (and
Leason Saml. & Henry
Madin Thos. (& stone
Parke Joseph, Hill
Pike Walter, Bird-
Robinson Geo. (and
Rutherford Jesse, Bole
Simpson Ellen, Slate
Turner Edw., Harper
Turner Wm.. Swath-
Watson Thos., Swath-
Watts Brell, Swath-
Wilson Thos., Birkin