Georg Henrich Mühlschlägel
b. 3 May 1753, d. between 1810 and 1820
Last Edited=27 Apr 2004
Georg Henrich Mühlschlägel was born on 3 May 1753 in Berks County, Pennsylvania.1
Georg was baptized at St. Peter's Church in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Here is part of his father's diary translated from German: "3 May 1753 my son Georg is born to the world. His godfather was George Emert and he was baptized by Jacob Hamm in the Ohley Mountains."1
He was the son of Johann Andreas Mühlschlägel and Anna Maria Emmitt.1
Georg has also been reported as being born in 1757. I am not sure why, but for some reason, Grace Kelso Garner in Earliest Settlers of Western Frederick-Eastern Hampshire Counties estimated his birth around 1757.2
His name has also been given as George Milslagel.
Between 1772 and 1774, George moved with his parents to Hampshire County, Virginia.3
Garner asserts that George served in the military during the Revolutionary War. I have been unable to locate proof of service, unit, or any other information regarding military service for him in either Pennsylvania or Virginia.3,4
George married Catherine Loy, daughter of Jurg Loy and Rebecca Boserdin, after 1781.3
According to Garner, they married after the Revolutionary War. George was already living in Virginia at the time so Garner asserts that George went back to Pennsylvania for his bride.2
George and Catherine had at least four children; 3 sons and at least 1 daughter, maybe more. Only the names of the sons are known. These children are Andrew, Jacob and George.3
The 1790 census records for Hampshire Co have been lost. Other sources for residence information will need to be found.
The 1800 census records for Hampshire Co have been lost. Other sources for residence information will need to be found.
George and Catharine sold their land February 1802 to Thomas McBride. I do not know where they lived after they sold the land. Did they go live with one of their children?3
Georg was enumerated on the 1810 census for Hampshire Co as George Milslagle. a free white male aged 45 and over. Catharine Milslage (I believe this is George's wife) is enumerated in Jefferson County. I'm not sure why they are enumerated separately.5
Follow the link to see the census image.
George died between 1810 and 1820 in Hampshire Co.3
He is the son of Johann Andreas Mühlschlägel, original immigrant.
- Children of Georg Henrich Mühlschlägel and Catherine Loy:
- Andrew Milslagel+ b. b 1782
Jacob Milslagel+ b. a 1784
George Milslagel (Junior)+ b. c 1785, d. c Feb 1866
- [S4] Peggy McKenzie, "Journal written by Johann Andreas Mühlschlägel," online <http://home.t-onlin.de/home/mckenzie>; citing Andreas' diary. PDN: Millslagle-PA-0001. At first I thought these dates were baptizism dates but in his last entry he writes "born to the world and then prepared for holy baptism" which made me think his entries were birth dates.
- [S3] Grace Kelso Garner, compiler, Earliest Settlers of Western Frederick - Eastern Hampshire Counties (n.p.: self, 1974).
- [S3] Grace Kelso Garner, Earliest Settlers, page 176.
- [S1] Personal knowledge of Carol Lea Millslagle-Macke (Palmdale, CA 93552), Searched the ancestry gravesite database and he is not in the soundex.
- [S604] George Milslagle, 1810 U.S. Census, Hampshire County, Virginia, page #831, line #8; National Archives micropublication M252, roll 69, viewed on Ancestry.com (image 74 of 79) December 12, 2002. PDN: Millslagle-VA-0019. George Milslagle.