b. 1 August 1792, d. 3 February 1873
Last Edited=10 May 2004
John Horn was born on 1 August 1792.1,2
He was the son of Phillip Horn and Maria Catharine Mühlschlägel.3
The 1800 census records for Virginia have been lost. Other sources for residence information will need to be found.
John married Catherine Cooper, daughter of John Cooper and Mary Rhinehart.3
John and Catherine had at least 5 children. These children are Martha, John, Hannah, Eleanor and Mary.4,5
John, age 68, and Catherine, age 57, were enumerated on the 1860 Federal Census in Capon Bridge, Hampshire County, Virginia. Also enumerated in this household was their son, John Jr. (age 22).6
John worked as a farmer. His real estate was valued at $1000 and his person estate was valued at $288.6
Follow the link to see the census image.
John died on 3 February 1873.3
He was 80 years old.
He named Mary Wolford and Eliner McBride in his will. Garner suggests that they may have been married grandchildren. (Cooper asserts that they are his married daughters).3
He and Catherine were buried in Capon Chapel Cemetery in Capon Bridge, Hampshire County, West Virginia.3
He is the grandson of Johann Andreas Mühlschlägel, original immigrant.
NOTE: This information is under contention by another researcher who believes that it was Catherine Gard who married John Horn, not Catherine Cooper. He also notes that the children belong to John and Catherine (Gard) Horn. I have not followed up research conducted by either Gardner or Cooper.7
- Children of John Horn and Catherine Cooper:
- Martha Horn b. s 1835
John Horn (Junior)+ b. 22 Jan 1838, d. 27 Jul 1883
Hannah Horn b. s 1840
Eleanor Horn b. s 1840
Mary Horn b. s 1840
- [S3] Grace Kelso Garner, compiler, Earliest Settlers of Western Frederick - Eastern Hampshire Counties (n.p.: self, 1974), page 212, citing the 1850 census.
- [S99] John Horn household, 1860 U.S. Census, Capon Bridge (Eastern District), Hampshire County, Virginia, population schedule, page 24, dwelling #5, family #5; National Archives micropublication M653, roll 1350, viewed on Ancestry.com Jan. 2002. PDN: Horn-VA-0001. Gives age as 68.
- [S3] Grace Kelso Garner, Earliest Settlers, page 212.
- [S3] Grace Kelso Garner, Earliest Settlers, page 212. Gives childrens' names as Martha, John and Hannah.
- [S736] Darrell Cooper, "John Horn," e-mail message from <e-mail address> to Carol Lea Millslagle-Macke, 13 March 2003. A printout is in the possession of Carol Macke, PDN: Cooper-VA-0004. Gives 2 additional children: Eleanor and Mary.
- [S99] 1860 U.S. Census, Capon Bridge (Eastern District), Hampshire County, Virginia, population schedule, p. 24, dwelling #5, family #5. PDN: Horn-VA-0001.
- [S736] Darrell Cooper, "John and Catherine Horn," e-mail to Carol Lea Millslagle-Macke, 13 March 2003. PDN: Cooper-VA-0004.