Will of James Tilbury, probate 1818, ref. PCC 11/1608
The Will of James TILBURY was proved at London on 3 September 1818 and administration granted to his nephew and sole executor the Rev’d Thomas TILBURY.
James’ cash bequests were derived from the annual interest on the sum of £500 deposited at the Bank of England and which was expected to yield £41 p.a.
The bequest were:
To my sister Mrs. Sarah PARKER,
- £21 p.a. and the house furniture and table linen for her lifetime;
- the house is situated at the end of the West street, Midhurst.
To my brother Richard TILBURY, Midhurst, £10 p.a. for his lifetime.
To my sister Mrs. Margaret BERRY £4 p.a. for her lifetime.
To my sister Mrs. Mary WILLS £5 for a suit of Mourning.
After the deaths of the above named brothers and sisters the principal sum (£500) to be divided equally among my _own_ surviving nephews and nieces, i.e.
Sons and daughters of Mr. Charles TILBURY, deceased:
- Rev. Thomas TILBURY, Chideock, Dorset;
- James TILBURY of London;
- Mrs. Charlotte SPEAKMAN, Ashton, Lancashire;
- Mrs. Mariah UNSWORTH, Ashton, Lancashire.
Sons and daughters of Mr. John TILBURY, deceased:
- Mr. James TILBURY, Walton;
- Charles TILBURY, Romsey;
- Mrs. Ruth SMITH, Portsmouth;
- Miss Margaret TILBURY, Laycock Abbey;
- Mrs. Charlotte FYLER, Basingstoke.
Daughters of my sister Mrs. Margaret BERRY:
- Mrs. Mary _WICHER_, Cheriton;
- Mrs. Mary GODDEN, _Highbridge_, Hampshire.
To my nephew Rev. Thomas TILBURY my gold watch, or whatever watch I shall have at my death, plate, wearing apparel, trinkets, books and pictures.
The house and furniture at the end of West street to my nephew Rev. Thomas TILBURY after the death of my sister Mrs. Sarah PARKER.
To my sister Mrs. Mary WILLS the linen in my house after the death of my sister Mrs. Sarah PARKER.
After the deaths of Mrs. Sarah PARKER and Mrs. Mary WILLS the linen to go to my nephew Rev. Thomas TILBURY.
In the supposition that one of those persons dies to wit Richard TILBURY or Mrs. Margaret BERRY then the above shown £10 p.a. to go to Mrs. Sarah PARKER for her lifetime.
If Mrs. Mary WILLS, Tichborne, should outlive my brother Richard TILBURY, Mrs. Sarah PARKER and Mrs. Margaret BERRY then the interest on the £500 to go to her for her life the last survivor having it for his or her life.
- o - O - o -
Part of James' Will was recited in the Bank of England Extract relating to his Annuities:
N°. 59483, no I/A, fo 5040, Sworn under £1000
James TILBURY of Midhurst Sussex Gentleman died possessed of
£41. Long Annt. 20. £820.
And by his Will without date attested by two witnesses did not therein appoint any Executor Probate granted at Doctors Commons 3 September 1818 to the Reverend Thomas TILBURY the Nephew the Executor according to the Tenor (described of Tichborne in the County of Southampton) Identity as per Affidavit Dd. 187.
In the Will are the following words
"I have in the Bank of England Five hundred pounds - The interest of which is forty one pounds yearly Consolidated Long annuities -
1st out of this forty one pounds yearly I will & bequeath to my Sister Mrs. Sarah PARKER twenty one pounds yearly for her life
I will & bequeath to my Brother Richard TILBURY Ten pounds yearly out of the above said forty one pounds for his life only
I will & beaqueath to my Sister Mrs Margaret BERRY Ten pounds yearly out of the above said forty one pounds for her life only
After the death of my abovesaid Brother & Sisters I bequeath the principle to wit. Five hundred pounds now in the Bank of England to my Eleven Nephews and Nices to be divided amongst them equally - The names of whom are as follows
- Revd. Thomas TILBURY, Chidcock Dorset
- Mr. James TILBURY, London
- Mrs. Charlotte SPEAKMAN, Ashton Lancashire
- Mrs. Maria UNSWORTH, Ashton Lancashire
Sons & daughters of Mr. Charles TILBURY deceased
- Mr. James TILBURY, Walton
- Mr. Charles TILBURY, Romsey
- Mrs. Ruth SMITH, Portsmouth
- Miss Margaret TILBURY, Laycock Abbey
- Mrs. Charlotte FYLER, Basingstoke
Sons & Daughters of Mr. John TILBURY deceased
- Mrs. Mary WICHER, Cheriton
- Mrs. Mary GODDEN, Highbridge Hants
Daughters of my Sister Mrs. Margaret BERRY"
In the supposition that one of these persons dies to wit Mr. Richard TILBURY or Mrs. Margaret BERRY their above share Ten pounds yearly to go to Mrs. Sarah PARKER for her life. If Mrs. Mary WILLS Tichbourne should outlive my Brother Richard TILBURY Mrs Sarah PARKER & Mrs. Margaret BERRY the interest of the above sum Five hundred pounds which is forty one pounds yearly to go to her for her life & infinie the last survivor to have it for his or their lives.
£41. P An: Long Ans. to remain SUBJECTED during the lives of Sarah PARKER (the Testator's sister) Richard TILBURY (the Testator's brother) Margaret BERRY (the Testator's sister) and Mary WILLS (the Testator's sister.
And at the death of the survivor to be left at the disposal of the Testator's personal representatives.
Sarah PARKER a Lifeannuitant is deceased as per Extract and Translation
Ug442 Buried 12 November 1827
Regd. 31 Dec. 1828. S. BAKER.
Richard TILBURY the testators Brother and a Life Annuitant is deceased as per Extract & Afft.
Ug443 Buried 9 Feby. 1814.
Regd. 31 Dec. 1828 S. BAKER
Margaret BERRY the testators Sister and a Life annuitant is deceased as per Extract & Afft.
Ug444 Buried 22 May 1820.
Regd. 31 Dec. 1828. S. BAKER
Mary WILLS the Testators sister and a Life annuitant is deceased as per Extract & Afft.
Ug445 Buried 3 Novr. 1824.
Regd. 31 Dec. 1828 S. BAKER
Sarah TILBURY m. William PARKER 11 October 1796 Steventon, Hampshire.
(Sarah TILBURY Chr. 7 May 1770 Steventon, Hampshire, daughter of John TILBURY & Ann)
Were these the John TILBERRY and Anna WOOD m. 24 December 1764 Headley, Hampshire?
Mary TILBURY m. John WILLS 29 November 1777 at St. Mary’s, Marylebone.
James mentions neither wife nor children, grandchildren; he refers to his nephews and nieces as 'surviving', so that there were probably other children who died. From the relationships mentioned in the Will the following tree may be extrapolated (in brackets, their domiciles as given by James).
1. Unknown TILBURY [possibly Oliver TILBURY (see bottom of page)]
- 2. James TILBURY b. [?] d. latest 1818
- 2. Charles TILBURY d. pre-1818
- 3. Thomas TILBURY ([cleric] of Chideock, Dorset)
- 3. James TILBURY (of London)
- 3. Charlotte [TILBURY] (Mrs. SPEAKMAN of Ashton, Lancashire)
- 3. Mariah [TILBURY] (Mrs. UNSWORTH of Ashton, Lancashire)
- 2. John TILBURY d. pre-1818 (probably the John who married Ruth, see below)
- 3. James TILBURY (Walton)
- 3. Charles TILBURY (Romsey)
- 3. Ruth [TILBURY] (Mrs. SMITH, Portsmouth)
- 3. Margaret TILBURY (unmarried, Laycock Abbey)
- 3. Charlotte [TILBURY] (Mrs. FYLER, Basingstoke) [Chr. 22 May 1769?]
- 2. Sarah [TILBURY] (Mrs. PARKER)
- 2. Richard TILBURY [probably the breeches-maker of Midhurst (see bottom of page)]
- 2. Margaret [TILBURY] (Mrs. BERRY)
- 3. [Mary] [BERRY] (Mrs. _WICHER_, Cheriton)
- 3. [Mary] [BERRY] (Mrs. GODDEN, _Highbridge_, Hampshire)
- 2. Mary [TILBURY] (Mrs. WILLS)
Deaths & Burials
From the "Publications of the Catholic Record Society" (Great Britain)
1777: Oliver TILBURY died, May 24.
1781: Die 24 Februarii, obiit Magarita TILBURY vidua, apud Midhurst, anno aetatis suae 73, et sepulta fuit apud Easbourne, die 27 eiusdem mensis. Req. in pace.
[Margaret TILBURY d. 24 February 1781, widow of Midhurst age 73; buried in Easbourne 27 February 1781. RIP.]
1793: Die 31 Januarii. Obiit Carolus TILBURY, 44 aetatis anno, apud Midhurst sepultus. Requiescat in pace.
[Charles TILBURY d. 31 January 1793, age 44; buried in Midhurst. RIP.]
1817: 11 Nov. Jacobus TILBURY, obiit 6.
[James TILBURY d. 6 November 1817; buried 11 November.]
Children of John Tilbury & wife Ruth
From the "Publications of the Catholic Record Society" (Great Britain)
1755. Jun. 21. Ann PENNY, Daughter of Ann & Peter PENNY of Graftham, Sussex, born the 20 of June & baptis'd the day following. Sponsors James HENLEY & Margaret TILBURY. Thos. SANDERS.
1766. 19 Apr. Margarita, nata die 6 ex Joanne et Ruth Tilbury, ...
[Margaret, dau. of John & Ruth TILBURY, b. 6, Chr. 19, April 1766.]
(3) Die 22 Maii 1769 Baptizata fuit [Chr.] Charlotta TILBURY
filia [dau. of] Johannis & Ruth TILBURY (Conjugum) in Parochia de Otterborne
Patrinus [Godfather] fuit Jacobus TILBURY, Matrina [Godmother] Lucia MESH
A me Gul: WALMESLEY O.S.B. M. & P.
(Dom. William WALMESLEY, O.S.B., was William Augustine CALDWELL)
Die 16 Martii 1772, Baptizatus fuit Jacobus TILBURY
filius [son of] Johannis & Ruth TILBURY Conjugum in Parochia de Otterborne ...
(11) Die 17 Junii 1775, Natus [born] die 15 ejusdem Mensis [same month], baptizatus [Chr.] fuit Carolus TILBURY
filius Johannis & Ruth TILBURY (Conjugum) in Parochia de Otterborne
Patrinus fuit Richardus GOLDFINCH, Matrina Francisca LINKHORN.
A me Gul. WALMESLEY O.S.B. M. & P.
- 2. Margaret TILBURY b. 6, Chr. 19, April 1766 Otterborne, Hampshire
- 2. Charlotte TILBURY Chr. 22 May 1769 Otterborne, Hampshire
- 2. James TILBURY Chr. 16 [or 13] March 1772 Otterborne, Hampshire
- (m.(1) Charity DOWNS 14 May 1794 Monk Sherborne, Hampshire?) [see below]
- 2. Charles TILBURY Chr. 17 June 1775 Otterborne, Hampshire
- 2. [Ruth TILBURY, no bmd discovered so far]
Publications of the Catholic Record Society (Great Britain), 1905
1790. 7 Feb. Caroletta, filia Thomae et Ruth SMITH, conj., nata 28 Jan. Patrini, Alanus DAVY, Caroletta TILBURY.
[Charlotte, daughter of Thomas & Ruth SMITH, b. 28 January, Chr. 7 February, 1790; Godparents: Alan DAVY, Charlotte TILBURY.]
- o - O - o -
Father: Gulielmi. BERRY, Mother: Annae, Parish of Twyford (priest: WALMESLEY O.S.B. M. & P.):
- 2. Maria BERRY Chr. 31 October 1770 Brambridge-Rc, Brambridge, Hampshire
- Godfather: Charles TILBURY, Godmother: Elizabeth TILBURY
- 2. Sara BERRY b. 11, Chr. 12, July 1774 Brambridge-Rc, Brambridge, Hampshire
- Godfather: Charles TILBURY, Godmother: Sara TILBURY
Mother: Sara BERRY, Parish of Twyford (priest: WALMESLEY O.S.B. M. & P.):
- 2. Caroline BERRY b. 15, Chr. 17, November 1795
- Godmother: Margaret BERRY
These may have been the marriages of members of James' family.
m. Lydia SMITH 1 August 1770 Cheriton, Hampshire
m. John WILLS 29 November 1777 St. Mary’s, Marylebone
Charlotte TILBURY b. c.1780 (see below)
m. James SPEAKMAN 17 March 1801 Winwick, Lancashire
m. Thomas SMITH 24 December 1781 Compton, Hampshire
m. John FILER 30 December 1791 St. Mary-St. Marylebone Road, St. Marylebone, London
m. William PARKER 11 October 1796 Steventon, Hampshire
m. Thomas UNSWORTH 9 January 1809 Standish, Lancashire
James (Jacobum) TILBURY
m. Clara (Clarae)
* Catholic Record Society, 1905 ed.
1790: 7 Feb. Caroletta, filia Thomae et Ruth SMITH, conj., nata 28 Jan. Patrini, Alanus DAVY, Caroletta TILBURY
[Charlotte dau. of Thomas & Ruth SMITH, b. 28 January, Chr. 7 February, 1790; Godfather: Alan DAVY; Godmother: Charlotte TILBURY]
Charles Tilbury m. Lydia
Charles and Lydia were the parents of the Rev. Thomas TILBURY, roman-catholic priest of Dorset.
- Carolie (Charles) TILBURY
- m. Lydiae (Lydia) [SMITH] 1 August 1770 Cheriton, Hampshire
- Publications of the Catholic Record Society
- Die 31 Januarii 1793
- Obiit Carolus TILBURY, 44 aetatis anno apud Midhurst sepultus. Requiescat in pace.
- If Charles was about 20 years old on marriage to Lydia, the age of 44 in January 1793 would correspond.
- Catholic Record Society, 1905 ed.
- pg. 252
- ... et Lydiae TILBURY conjugum, die hujus mensis 16° natum [b. 16th of previous month]. Patrini fuere Joannes CROUCHER et Winefrida CROUCHER; Ric. ANTROBUS. [probably Lydia's baptism?]
- - Lydia TILBURY Chr. c.14 May 1771 Twyford, Hampshire
- m. Benjamin ANDREWS 8 December 1794 Midhurst, Sussex
- - Harriett ANDREWS Chr. 27 April 1796 Midhurst, Sussex
- If it was Lydia daughter of Charles who married ANDREWS, then she may have died before James, and be one of the non-surviving descendants implied by the terms of his Will.
- - Mary TILBURY Chr. 17 January 1773 Midhurst, Sussex, d. 7 November 1773
- - (another child?)
- - Charlotte TILBURY Chr. 9 January 1778 Midhurst, Sussex
- m. James SPEAKMAN 17 March 1801 Winwick, Lancashire
- Children including:
- - Thomas SPEAKMAN b. 18 January, 1811 Ashton, Lancashire
- Speakman, Thomas, S.J., nephew of the Rev. Thomas Tilbury
- A Charlotte SPEAKMAN d. 3Q 1849 (Warrington 20/1304)
- No Charlotte SPEAKMAN b. Sussex of the right age seems visible in 1851, so this may have been Charlotte TILBURY.
- Warrington: mainly Lancashire, parts of Cheshire; sub-districts: Latchford, Newton in Makerfield, Rixton, Sankey, Warrington, Winwick.
- The Descendants of Charlotte Tilbury & James Speakman
- - Thomam (Thomas) TILBURY b. 16 October 1780 Midhurst, Chr. 18 October 1780 [March 1780] Cowdray-Rc, Cowdray, Sussex
- Rev. Thomas Tilbury of Dorset
- - (another child?)
- - Jacobum (James) TILBURY Chr. 5 January 1784 Cowdray-Rc, Cowdray, Sussex
- (Godparents: James TILBURY and Maria PHELPS) (Priest: George HALSEY)
- m. Clarae (Clara)
- - Emily TILBURY Chr. 28 May 1809 Graffham, Sussex
- - Jacobum (James) TILBURY Chr. 15 August 1815 Cowdray-Rc, Cowdray, Sussex
- This may have been the James who was in Acton, Middlesex:
- m. Ann [--]
- - Emily TILBURY b. c.1844
- 1851: Not apparent?
- 1861: lvg. Acton, reg. dist. Brentford, Middlesex
- James TILBURY age 45 b. Midhurst, Sussex
- Ann TILBURY age 49 b. Acton, Middlesex
- - Emily TILBURY age 16 b. Acton, Middlesex
- m. Sidney MacBrier TISDALL 7 November 1863 St. John The Evangelist, Notting Hill, London
- - Sidney TISDALL (with grandfather James TILBURY in 1881)
- - (another child?)
- - Maria TILBURY Chr. 7 December 1787 Midhurst, Sussex
- m. Thomas UNSWORTH 9 January 1809 Standish, Lancashire
- - Caroletta (Charlotte) UNSWORTH b. 14, Chr. 16, January 1814 Culcheth-Rc, Culcheth by Winwick, Lancashire
- (father: Thomae UNSWORTH, mother: Mariae TILBURY)
- [Joseph UNSWORTH b. 27 February, Chr. 29 March, 1829 Newchurch By Culcheth, Lancashire]
- [mother: Charlotte UNSWORTH] (Maria & Thomas' daughter?)
Catholic Record Society, 1905 ed. pg. 259
[top of the page: 1833, first entry: 22d March] [came up on search "Charles TILBURY and wife")
... registered, priest; he was baptized, in Mar. 1780, Mr. ANTROBUS.
Charlotte, married; James, married, two of their children.
Charles, a soldier. [Was this Charles snr?]
[continues, WINGHAM parents and child, registered]
- o - O - o -
The Unsworth Family
- 1841: lvg. Winwick, Lancashire
- Lydia UNSWORTH b. c.1836 (_)
- - Lydia UNSWORTH
- m. John MASSEY 1845 West Derby, St. Philip
- (Register at Liverpool, ref. 2024WD/6/491)
- Source: Lancashire marriage index
- 1851: UNSWORTH lvg. West Derby, Lancashire
- Thomas UNSWORTH b. c.1783 Ashton, Lancashire (Head)
- Maria UNSWORTH b. c.1789 Medhurst, Sussex (Wife)
- George UNSWORTH b. c.1831 Ashton, Lancashire (Son)
- Elizabeth UNSWORTH b. c.1801 Garswood, Lancashire (Servant)
- Joseph UNSWORTH b. c.1829 Winwick, Lancashire (Visitor)
- Joseph UNSWORTH b. c.1831 Liverpool, Lancashire (Son)
- Elizabeth UNSWORTH b. c.1834 Liverpool, Lancashire (Daughter)
- John UNSWORTH b. c.1835 Liverpool, Lancashire (Lodger)
- 1851: lvg. West Derby, Lancashire
- John MASSEY b. c.1822 Liverpool, Lancashire (Head)
- Lydia MASSEY b. c.1826 Ashton, Lancashire (Wife)
- Thomas MASSEY b. c.1849 West Derby, Lancashire (Son)
- Maria MASSEY b. c.1851 West Derby, Lancashire (Daughter)
- 1861: (reg. dist. Warrington), Lancashire
- John MASSEY age 37 (Head, spouse of Lydia
- Lydia MASSEY age 35 (Wife, spouse of John)
- Thomas MASSEY age 15 (Son of John & Lydia)
- Maria MASSEY age 9 (Daughter of John & Lydia)
- Mary MASSEY age 7 (Daughter of John & Lydia)
- Maria UNSWORTH age 73 b. Ashton in Makerfield (Mother)
- 1861: lvg. Warrington, Lancashire
- Wm. UNSWORTH age 24 (Head, spouse of Mary)
- Mary UNSWORTH age 23 (Wife, spouse of Wm.)
- Sarah UNSWORTH age 4 b. Warrington (Daughter of Wm. & Mary)
- Ralph UNSWORTH age 2 b. Warrington (Son of Wm. & Mary)
- Marien UNSWORTH age 0 b. Warrington (Daughter of Wm. & Mary)
- A Maria UNSWORTH d. age 79 3Q 1867 (Warrington 8c/100)
- 1871: lvg. Cheshire
- Lydia MASSEY b. c.1826 Lancashire (Head)
- John MASSEY seems to have died before 1871, and Lydia before 1881.
- William, probable son of Thomas & Maria, may have been the UNSWORTH in the Isle of Man, with a wife Mary of the right age (at Spaldrick House Rowany (Lower), Rushen, unemployed hotel keeper).
- If anyone could do look-ups on these families I'd greatly appreciate the help - C.
The Two James Tilbury of Hampshire
There were two contemporary James TILBURYs in Hampshire - the James of the 1818 Will, and the James (also TILBREY) of the 1821 Will. Documents referring to property in Sussex (West Sussex Record Office) appear to refer separately to transactions by each of them. Dates and places given suggest that 1818 James came originally from Alresford, and being associated in 1803 with a Richard TILBURY of Midhurst, breeches maker, this could possibly have been the Richard mentioned in James' Will:
"4 cottages in The Mint, Bepton road, Midhurst, Sussex"
James TILBURY of Alresford, Hampshire, gent.;
Richard TILBURY of Midhurst, breeches maker; &
(Richard WHITE of Midhurst, perukemaker...)"
James TILBURY, formerly of Alresford, Hampshire, but now of Midhurst, gent."
The other James was also mentioned in transactions concerning property - in Aldingbourne and Boxgrove - and was referred to as "yeoman, of Singleton" associated with his death, and the date of his Will, 1821.
Hampshire & Sussex archive documents mentioning Tilburys
The Family of John Tilbury d. pre-1818
The following are unconfirmed possibilites for 2 of John's descendants.
- John TILBURY
- - James TILBURY "of Walton" (possibly Bishop's Waltham)
- - Charles TILBURY "of Romsey"
- 1851 Census lists:
- James TILBURY b. c.1772 Otterbourne, Hampshire; lvg. Bishops Waltham, Hampshire
- Charles TILBURY b. c.1777 Otterburn, Hampshire; lvg. Southampton St. Mary, Hampshire
1777 Charles Tilbury's family is on this page
- James TILBURY b. c.1772 Otterbourne, Hampshire
- m.(1) Charity DOWNS 14 May 1794 Monk Sherborne, Hampshire
- m. (2) Ann DUFFIN 23 August 1873 Bishops Waltham, Hampshire
- b. c.1842 Horton Heath, Hampshire
- Husband age at marriage: 41, Wife age at marriage: 28
- Charles TILBURY b. c.1798 Owslebury, Hampshire, Chr. 31 August 1800 Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire,
- d. 6 January 1866, Bishop's Waltham age c.68 (Master Tailor)
- m. Charlotte LAKE 12 January 1824 Bishops Waltham, Hampshire; b. c.1791
NB: Richard TILBURY, associated with James in the property transaction of 1803, was a breeches maker, so that Charles, as a "Master Tailor" is a possible as a descendant from this line.
Bishop's Waltham Tilburys
- - Ruth TILBURY "Mrs. SMITH of Portsmouth"
- m. Thomas SMITH 24 December 1781 Compton, Hampshire
- This Charlotte may have been their daughter (see * above):
- [4.] Caroletta SMITH b. 28 January, Chr. 7 February, 1790 St. James-Rc, Winchester, Hampshire
- father: Thomae [Thomas] SMITH, mother: Ruth
- - Margaret TILBURY "unmarried, of Laycock Abbey"
- Catholic Record Society, 1905 ed. pg. 168
- 1766. 19 Apr. Margarita, nata die 6 ex Joanne et Ruth TILBURY, ...
- - Charlotte TILBURY "Mrs. FYLER of Basingstoke"
- Charlotte TILBURY
- m. John FILER 30 December 1791 St. Mary-St. Marylebone Rd., St. Marylebone, London
Sarah Tilbury "Mrs. Parker"
- Sarah TILBURY [TELBURY]
- m. William PARKER 11 October 1796 Steventon, Hampshire
- father: William PARKER, mother: Sarah
- [3.] Betty PARKER Chr. 3 March 1797 Steventon, Hampshire
- [3.] William PARKER Chr. 26 December 1802 Steventon, Hampshire
- [3.] Lucy PARKER Chr. 30 April 1809 Steventon, Hampshire
Oliver & Richard Tilbury
- Oliver TILBURY appears as a witness in documents, and as a reference in property sales; it seems probable that he worked for, or in the essor of, the Montague family at Cowdray House.
- Richard TILBURY, breeches-maker of Midhurst: one of his bills, to the Montague family, was found in the remaining tower of Cowdray House, in what appears to have been a steward's room created in the tower after the fire which destroyed most of the house.
- Cowdray House, the Montagues, Oliver & Richard Tilbury