FRENSHAM is a small village and parish in the Hundred of Farnham, and distant from it 4 miles, on the main branch of the river Wey, on the verge of the county eastward. It is a very pretty village, and its scenery of considerable variety : not the least picturesque objects are its two ponds, the larger with an area of 300 acres.
The parish is divided into three tithings, viz.:- Frensham, Chert or Churt, and Pitfold. The population of the parish, in 1851, was 1,559 - 714 of which reside in the village; Churt, distant 2 miles, contained 400 inhabitants, and Pitfold 450 inhabitants.
The church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, is a neat edifice. The living is one of the chapelries belonging to the Archdeacon of Surrey as rector of Farnham, and, with the others, has been usually granted on leases for lives; the lessee appoints a perpetual curate, with a stipend of £106 per annum; the incumbent is the Rev. Richard Stevens.
The parish comprises 8,691 acres. On the commons to the east are several large ponds.
LOCK'S HILL and PIERPONT LODGE are half a mile north; Beal's Place, 1 mile south-west; Dockenfields, 1½ miles west (this is an extra-parochial place, with 195 inhabitants and 566 acres); Willow Green, 1½ miles west; Browns, 1½ miles north-west; Redburn, 2 miles south-east; Devil's Jumps, 2½ miles south-east; Pitfold, near Hindhead common, 2½ miles south-east.
At SHOTTER MILL is a church with an ecclesiastical district, constituted on the 26th July, 1847, and containing, in 1851, a population of 487.
POST OFFICE - Richard COBBETT, receiver.
Letters arrive from Farnham ¼ before 9 a.m.;
dispatched ½ past 5 p.m.
Pitfold - John TIMMS, receiver.
Letters arrive through Haslemere 9 a.m.;
dispatched 5 p.m.
The nearest money order office is at Farnham.
CURRIE Miss Georgiana, Highfield
DAVISON Crawford esq., Priory
ELLABY Rev. Geo. Watts, B.A. [curate]
FULLER Neston Joseph esq. [magistrate], Frensham hill
MAY Mr. George Stewart
MOULTRIE Major Geo. Austen, Sand rock
PAINE Thomas esq.
BAKER Francis (Mrs.), farmer, Spreatley farm
BAKER John, farmer
BEALE Richard, farmer, Manor house
BEALE Richard jun., miller, Frensham mill
CRAFT Charles, bricklayer
COLE John, "Blue Bell"
GROVE Henry, grocer, baker, & tax collector
HAMMOND Richard, farmer
LEGG Richard, carpenter
LINTOLT Henry, grocer & baker
PAINE James, blacksmith
PUDNEY Charles, farmer
RAGGATT Thomas, baker, Mill bridge
READ Thomas, publican, "Mariners"
STURT Richard, wheelwright & grocer
BAKER George, farmer
BAKER Thomas, farmer
BICKNELL Henry, farmer
DEADMAN Henry, shopkeeper
DOBSON William, farmer
DUTTON W., relieving officer
GREGORY John, beer retailer
LANGRIDGE Nathaniel, potter & farmer
LASHAM James, farmer
MATHEWS Charles, beer retailer
MAYHEW James, farmer
MAYHEW William, farmer
OVER George, grocer & baker
POULTON Charles, wheelwright
POULTON Edwin, farmer
POULTON Henry, dealer
POULTON William, farmer
REDMAN Frederick, dealer in wood
SMITHERS Henrietta (Mrs.) farmer
CHUTER Thomas, publican, "Lion"
..... & farmer, mealman & brewer
CHUTER William, shopkeeper
GILL William, shoemaker
HARDING James, farmer
HARDING James, carpenter
LAWRENCE James, "Royal Hut", Hindhead
LUFF Robert, farmer
MOOVEY Edward, broom maker
SIMMONDS James, paper mills
TIMMS John, shopkeeper & post office
WHITE George, shopkeeper & beer retailer