Surname List
Name Index
Email Us
David Elmer WATTS was born on 27 AUG 1868 in Warner, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. He appeared in the census on 9 JUL 1870 in Webster, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) He appeared in the census on 1 JUN 1880 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: William WATTS and Sarah E. SARGENT.

Dorothy WATTS was christened/baptized on 20 APR 1729 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. (SOURCE: Early Vital Records of Essex County, Massachusetts to 1850 for Haverhill.) (BOOK SOURCE: "The Colby Family in Early America" by Frederick Lewis Weis, Caledonia, The Colonial Press, pub 1970.) Parents: Samuel WATTS and Dorothy COLBY.

Edward WATTS was christened/baptized on 5 DEC 1784 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. He died. Parents: Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER.

Spouse: Ann HUTCHINSON. Edward WATTS and Ann HUTCHINSON were married on 28 DEC 1805 in England.

Edwin WATTS was born on 25 NOV 1901 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. He appeared in the census in 1920 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother) He appeared in the census in 1930 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. He died on 23 OCT 1962 at Richfield, Sevier County, Utah. He was buried in the Axtell City Cemetery at Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Laura Hannah CROWTHER.

Spouse: Thelma V. WHEELER. Edwin WATTS and Thelma V. WHEELER were married on 26 NOV 1921 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Children were: Betty WATTS, Jack WATTS, Jerry A. WATTS, Louise WATTS.

Edwin Thomas WATTS was born on 8 OCT 1810 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. He was christened/baptized on 29 AUG 1813 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. He immigrated on 4 APR 1854 from England to Utah.
Took 19 Months to reach Utah after leaving England.
See Edwin Thomas Watts family History

Ship: 1167 tons: 184' x 37' x 19'
Built: 1853 at Thomaston, Maine
Elder Richard Cook, listed as a cabinetmaker on the passenger manifest, presided over 220 Saints who sailed from Liverpool on 4 April 1854 aboard the ship Germanicus. Captain Arthur M. Fales, a part-owner, commanded the vessel. It was a long passage of sixty-nine days, and the Germanicus had to stop twice for water. She "put in at St. George's on the Grand Caicos (an island north of Dominica) where she stayed two days and took in eight days' supply of water. She also had to stop at Tortugas (near Key West, off Florida) for a further supply on the 30th of May." From there the voyage was pleasant, and the square-rigger reached New Orleans on 12 June. During the passage there were two deaths and one birth. Elder Cook paid this tribute to the captain: "The Saints generally express their satisfaction with the quality of the provisions you furnished. Captain Fales is a very agreeable gentleman to travel with, and seeks to make the passengers comfortable."
The Germanicus was a two-decker with a round stern and a figurehead. Captain Fales was from Thomaston, Maine, as were most of the other owners, and Thomaston was the ship's home port. In 1856 her registration was surrendered because the vessel had been sold to foreigners.
Passenger List Sources:
LDS Passenger List (Family History Library) Film: #025,690 (Item 3-6)
U.S. Government Passenger List (Family History Library) Film: #200, 178 & 200,245
Identification Number on U.S. Government Passenger List: (200, 178)#246.
Pioneer Companies

Name: Edwin Watts
Captain: C A Harper
Arrival Date: 29 Oct 1855 in SLC.
Comment: 2 in family

Ship: Germanicus
Date of Departure: 4 Apr 1854 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
LDS Immigrants: 220 Church Leader: Richard Cook
Date of Arrival: 13 Jun 1854 Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Source(s): BMR, Book #1040, pp. 82-95 (FHL #025,690); Customs #246 (FHL #200,178)
Notes: "DEPARTURE. -- Two hundred and twenty souls embarked on board the Germanicus, Captain Fales, which cleared for New Orleans April 1, Elder Richard Cook, late a pastor, being in charge of the company. Elder James Works, late a travelling elder, and Elder James H. Hart, late counsellor to the president of the French Mission, sailed on this vessel."
<MS, 16:15 (Apr. 15, 1854), p.240>

"SEVENTY-FIFTH COMPANY -- Germanicus, 220 souls. The ship Germanicus, Captain Fales, with two hundred and twenty Saints on board, in charge of Elder Richard Cook, sailed from Liverpool, April 4th 1854. The vessel had a rather lengthy voyage, in consequence of which she had to put in at St. George's on the Grand Caicos (an island north of Dominica) where she stayed two days and took in eight days' supply of water. We also had to stop at Tortugas (near Key West, off Florida) for a further supply on the thirtieth of May. Continuing the voyage from Tortugas June 4th, the company had a pleasant voyage to New Orleans, where they arrived the twelfth of that month. One birth and two deaths occurred during the passage. Within two hours after landing at New Orleans, President Cook had made an engagement with the captain of the steamboat Uncle Sam to take the company to St. Louis for three dollars and fifty-cents each, luggage free; those under fourteen years of age half price. The next day, (the thirteenth) the Saints continued the journey from New Orleans to St. Louis where some of them remained until the next season. The rest soon afterwards reached the general place of encampment for the emigrants near Kansas City. (Millennial Star, Vol. XVI, pp.240, 270, 297, 440, 462.)"
<Cont., 13:11 (Sep. 1892), pp.510-11>

"Tues. 4. [Apr. 1854] -- The ship Germanicus sailed from Liverpool, England, with 220 Saints, under the direction of Richard Cook. The company arrived at New Orleans June 12th."
<CC, p.51> He was naturalized on 20 MAR 1859 in Provo, Utah County, Utah. He appeared in the census on 12 SEP 1860 in Provo, Utah County, Utah. He was given a Patriartcal Blessing on 21 MAY 1861 in Provo, Utah County, Utah. In 1870 he was a Peddler in Springville, Utah County, Utah. He appeared in the census on 11 AUG 1870 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. He appeared in the census on 7 JUN 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah.
Census Place: Springville, Utah, Utah
Source: FHL Film 1255338 National Archives Film T9-1338 Page 162B
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
Edwin WATTS Self M M W 70 ENGL
Occ: Peddlar Fa: ENGL Mo: ENGL
Mary WATTS Wife F M W 78 ENGL
Occ: Unable To Work Fa: ENGL Mo: ENGL
Emma WATTS Wife F M W 36 ENGL
Occ: Keeping House Fa: ENGL Mo: ENGL
Angelina M. WATTS Dau F S W 15 UT
Occ: At School Fa: ENGL Mo: ENGL
Edwin T. WATTS Son M S W 12 UT
Occ: At Home Fa: ENGL Mo: ENGL
Rose Anna WATTS Dau F S W 9 UT
Harriett WATTS Dau F S W 6 UT
Emma WATTS Dau F S W 3 UT
Martha WATTS Dau F S W 5M UT

In 1880 he was a Peddler in Springville, Utah County, Utah. He died on 1 JAN 1885 at Springville, Utah County, Utah. He was buried on 3 JAN 1885 in the Springville City Cemetery at Springville, Utah County, Utah (Grave Location: Springville City Cemetery, Blk. 32 Lot 4 Pos. 2.) He was ill with Heart problems.
PIONEERS OF 1854 TO 1856
Written July 13, 1961
by Sarah Ina Beardall

Part 1

October 8, 1810, at Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England, a son was born to Thomas and Ann Foster Watts. They named him Edwin Thomas Watts. According to family records Edwin was the third child of Thomas and Ann Watts. This baby Edwin was destined to become the beginning of the Watts Family in Utah. His direct blood descendants now (1961) number between five and six hundred.

Because Edwin embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, his posterity has the privilege of having been born in the United States with the right to worship God in the church of their choice and enjoy the privileges of freedown and liberty granted every American Citizen. This is his constitutional right.

At the age of twenty-one (21) misfortune struck Edwn when he was accidentally shot in the left arm just below the elbow. The bullet was removed but infection set in and he was told the arm had to be amputated. Edwin refused to have the operation, but when the doctor explained he must either sacrifice the arm or his life he accepted the doctors' decision as being the will of God. The arm was taken off to the elbow and after weeks of suffering, it began healing nicely. When Edwin fell and splintered the end of the remaining bone, gangrene set in and, as a final resort to save his life, his arm was removed at the shoulder. All these operations were performed without an anesthetic and, at times, the pain the young man suffered was almost unbearable. He went through life disabled without a left arm. He never lacked courage and somehow, always managed to support himself and his family.

Edwin met and married Mary Staneforth. She was the daughter of Samuel and Mary Staneforth (or Stamford). Mary was born November 27, 1801, and was nine years older than Edwin. They were married sometime between 1829 and 1831 in England.

Edwin's occupation is listed in the 1851 census as "Hawker." This means one who sells or trades his wares (merchandise) from the street or door to door. This was an accepted custom in most of Europe during this period and is still practiced.

Edwin learned about the Gospel and was baptized into the LDS Church in Nottinghamshire, England. After Mary joined the LDS Church, the couple soon received the spirit of gathering and it wasn't long until they began making plans to join the saints in Zion. In the latter part of March 1854, they gathered with other saints in Liverpool and on April 4, 1854, sailed for America on the ship 'Germanicus'.

The mode of conducting the immigration from Europe was as patriarchal as the Latter-day Saints Church itself. When the immigration season came around, from every branch and conference, the saints were gathered and taken to Liverpool by their Elder. He saw them board ship in vessels chartered for their transportation to America. When on board ship, the companies were divided into wards, each ward being under its President or Bishop and his two counselors. Also, each ship carried a doctor, steward, and cook, with their assistants. During the passage regular services were observed. Morning and evening prayers, preaching meetings and councils were all held daily. There were also many entertainments - concerts, dances etc. - so the trip across the Atlantic had its moments of pleasure as well as discomfort.

Before the gold rush to California the church could transport immigrants from England to Utah for fifty dollars each. This included their food. The scarcities of equipment due to the increased traffic across the plains caused the price to raise. As a result the price was seventy-five dollars. This was the fare Edwin and Mary paid.

Mr. Fales was the captain of the Germanicus. He was a pleasant man and did everything in his power to make the trip a pleasant one for those under his charge. Elder Richard Cook was the leader of the company Edwin and Mary joined. There were 220 souls aboard the sailing vessel this trip. The 75th ship of LDS imigrants to leave England.

Brother Armstrong kept the records of the trip. He wrote in his journal the following: "During this crossing we were in an almost dead calm for twenty days (no wind to push the sails) just sitting under a blazing sun with the thermometer standing at 120° on deck. In the shade between decks 110°. When I think how little sickness we have had and the extreme heat to which we have been exposed to, my heart is filled with gratitude to God. With two or three exceptions, this company of saints conducted themselves admirably."

Elder Cook wrote a letter, dated 30 May 1854, to President Richards in England as follows: "The Germanicus was at anchor near the Island of Tortugas, four hundred miles from the mouth of the Mississippi River. The vessel had made a rather lengthy vouage. She had to put in at George Town, Grand Cayman. Here she stayed for two days and took in eight days of water."
"Mary Warren gave birth to a fine son on May 14. On May 21 she suddenly took sick and died. She was buried at George Town and the sea-weary saints were glad it had not been necessary to bury their friend at sea."
"There weren't any provisions left from your ships stores. I had to purchase provisions for the passengers for nine days which I did as follows: 400 lbs. bixcuits, 100 lbs. Sugar, 130 lbs. pork, and 2 barrels of flour."
"The people around us say that we shall be frozen to death in the mountains that we are too late to get to Salt Lake this season. We are in good faith and spirits with the hope of seeing Salt Lake in October....."
This letter was completed on the journey up the Mississippi. The food list gives you some idea of what Edwin, Mary and the other saints ate crossing the Atlantic and on their trip up the Mississippi. The extra provisions had to be purchased because of the extra long time it took getting to the United States.

In the Millennial Star, 1854 volume, we read a dramatic report of the trip as follows: "We have been informed that the Germanicus ran aground at Key West near Tortugas. Our information gives us to understand that the vessel has got off again without damage." It must have been a trying and terrifying experience for the ships passengers that day. Edwin and Mary were among them.

The Germanicus left the Island of Tortugas June 4th and arrive at New Orleans June 12th about 12 O'clock noon. Elder Cook, within two hours after landing, had completed arrangements for the trip up the Mississippi. Captain Levenworth of the steam boat "Uncle Sam" agreed to take the immigrants to St. Louis at $3.50 per head and all children under 14 at half fare. All Baggage was free. The steamer left for St. Louis the next day with Edwin and Mary on board.

The company had been ten week on the Germanicus and except for two deaths, all was well with the immigrants. By the time the travelers arrived in New Orleans they had the canvas for their tents and wagon covers made so the Customs Officers did not delay them. This was almost always completed during the crossing of the Atlantic. It saved considerable time and money, for the immigrants brought the material with them.

When the steamer arrived in St. Louis the officials in charge of immigration decided it was too late in the season to begin the trip across the plains. Because of the bad weather conditions and other risks involved in such a late start, it was decided to wait until spring to start the journey. The next migration would be in the spring of 1855.

The following year an article in the St. Louis Luminary, dated June 23, 1855, read as follows. "We propose to ship one more company this season. It will consist mostly of the passengers of the ship Germanicus, who arrived here about twelve months ago." Two certificates in our possession lead us to believe the Watts left St. Louis previous to this time for Atchinson, Kansas. They are dated June 21, 1855 and say "Mary and Edwin Watts are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in good standing." They are signed by John Yeats, President of the Gravois Branch of the St. Louis Conference and John Moffet, Clerk. Atchinson, Kansas is located aboout 575 miles from St. Louis and about four and one half miles from Mormon Grove.

Apostle Erastus Snow was in charge of migration from St. Louis in 1855. The starting point for crossing the plains that year was Mormon Grove. Thus, 15 months after the time they left England, the Watts again made preparations for the last part of their journey, crossing the plains. They joined the company of Captain Chas. A. Harper along with 230 more souls. The company was made up as follows: 25 wagons, 304 oxen and 15 cows. An independent portion of the company had 57 people, 14 wagons, 136 oxen, 15 cows, one horse and a mule. In total there was 295 people, 39 wagons, 440 oxen, 30 cows, one horse and the mule.

Leaving Mormon Grove on the 24th of July, they met some of the church officials arriving from Salt Lake City. They returned to the grove in the afternoon to take part in the proceeding of the 24th. The 24th was celebrated in grand style on this occasion. Apostle Snow and Daniel Spencer and other brethren being present to participate and give the company the news from Salt Lake.

Traveling by ox-team and walking most of the way, Edwin and Mary, with Captain Harpers' company, started across the plains on the 28th of July, 1855. While on the plains the trains followed much the same procedure as on ship. They had their captains of fifty, etc. and everything was fully organized.

Early each morning the company was awakened by a pre-arranged signal of short blasts from a horn or bugle. Each person in the train had a share of chores to do before starting the days' journey. Family prayers and meetings were carried on same as if they were at home. The men took turns standing night-watch over the camp, one man taking the first part of the night and another the latter. Their job was to guard the train from prowlers, Indians and other dangers that might arise. Edwin took his turn along with the others.

The men spent part of each evening making repairs on the wagons, carts, or other equipment, and caring for the animals. The women cooked and did the other necessary chores with the help of the children. The children also gathered fire wood or helped carry water and tend the younger children. In the absence of fire wood or sagebrush they gathered buffalo chips which made good fuel.

Ovens were made by digging hollows in the hillsides with smoke vent holes dug in the rear. They baked the dough which was often prepared as the wagons jogged and creaked along. Fires were made in the hollowed out space of the earthen ovens to heat them. When the fires died down and the bottom of the pit was covered with white hot coals. The dough was placed inside upon an iron rack or skillet above the coals. The opening was then sealed up with wet mud and the trapped heat baked the bread. Everyone that was able, walked most of the time, in order to ease the load for the oxen. The pioneers soon learned it was much easier to walk than to ride over some of the rough and torturous roads they traveled.

The cows were milked to supply the pioneers with milk. They let the milk set over night so that the cream would seperate so they could make butter. One pioneer woman soon discovered that by hanging the covered churn or container of cream on the endgare of her wagon the cream would be churned to butter by nightfall from the jogging motion of the wagon. This method of churning soon became a cutom that most of the pioneers followed, even those that crossed the plains latter. This saved much time and elbow grease for other chores when the wagons stopped for the night.

The pioneers often encountered dangers other than those of the night. Buffalo roamed the paries and trailed to the rivers for water and were constantly on the move. They could be dangerous if frightened for they would stampede and run blindly until exhausted.

One day the wagon train guides, who always rode ahead of the train, saw a suspicious cloud of dust approaching in their direction. It was preceded by a low rumbling sound. The guides quickly rode back to the wagon train shouting directions to the migrants. Helping them to form a circle and interlocking the hind wheels of the wagons the same as they did at night. The stock were quickley driven into the circle to keep them from becoming lost in the heard of stampeding Buffalo that now was almost upon them.

The women and children were told to climb into the wagons while the men tried to turn the herd away from the train. It was a terrifying experience to wait in the choking dust made by the pounding hoofs of the stampeding Buffalo until they passed and the danger was over. Such an experience meant the camp hunters would not have to go far to get fresh and good meat. The several animals the men killed turning the herd would keep the train supplied for a couple of days. Everyone was thankful the threatened disaster had passed without doing any harm.

One of the orders all companies were given by their leaders before beginning such a journey was "Shoot only what game you can use." These orders were strictly observed by this train, and enforced by all the camp hunters. This was a day the saints had an extra blessing in the fresh meat supply. Because of the many people going west, the game wasn't as plentiful as it had been. So it was quite an event to see a buffalo stampede, and yet escape without losing an animal and with no injuries or loss of life.

Whenever the women rode in the wagons they knitted or made repairs on their clothing and did whatever chores they could do while traveling.

1855 was a dry year and the roads were very dusty. By the time evening came the lips and eyelashes of the weary travelers were often so encrusted with dust it was a great relief to camp near water where they could wash and refresh themselves. A guide always traveled ahead of the train to pick out a campsite for the day. During this trip they found it expecially hard to find enough good grass nearby for the oxen to graze upon because of the long dry spell and the many trains that had gone ahead of theirs. The trip was made without serious mishap. Captain Harper's train finally arrived in Salt Lake City on the 29th day of October, 1855.

The journey of about 1000 miles across the plains had taken three months and a day to complete. Almost nineteen (19) months from the time they left their home in England, the Watts reached their destination. Their desire to be with the saints in Zion had been realized. Their trials weren't over and their faith was yet to be tried in many more ways before they were actually settled.

1855 was a hard year for the settlers. The grasshoppers had destroyed a large part of the early crops and they could swarm in great numbers and alight anywhere. On one occasion, the grasshoppers swarmed over the Great Salt Lake and a large number of them dropped or were blown into the salt water and drowned. They were washed ashore by the wind. For a distance of two miles the lay piled up in a row that in places was two feet deep. Their fish like stench was almost unbearable. The people were grateful that so many of the pests had been destroyed before they could lay their eggs. Not to be defeated by the failure of the earlier crops, the settlers planted again. The potatoes didn't get much larger than marbles but they helped the food situation. Food really became critical that winter and reached the proportions of a famine the next year (1856).

Heber C. Kiball wrote the following to his son in England: "There was a famine in Utah in 1856. The crops were an almost complete failure because of the grasshoppers and drought which has plagued us. In some of the settlements the winter was very severe. The cattle ranging in the valleys died in great numbers. Grain was scarce and money would not buy flour. For some months some families knew not the taste of bread. Most of the people resorted to the old practice of digging sego and thistle roots for food. They were grateful when Spring arrived so they could vary their menu with red-root and dandelion greens."

Arriving in Utah at such a time as this must have been very discouraging to Edwin and Mary. As new pioneers in a strange land that demanded such sacrifices of those who would conquer it, having cast their lot with the saints, they did not complain but did all they could to better conditions and earn their way.

In 1857 things began to improve for the saints. The crops were maturing and new hope ran high in every home when Brigham Young received the news of Johnston's Army. At the time the saints and their families had all traveled up Big Cottonwood Canyon to Silver Lake to celebrate the 24th of July. Almost all the saints in the valley had made the outing when the horsemen carrying the messege arrived. Brigham Young, the ever capable leader, kept the news from his people until after they returned to the valley. Brigham's reply was: "This outing and celebration of their 10th anniversary in the valley must not be spoiled for them."

Later, at a special meeting called for the purpose, he told them: "President Buchanan was sending the army to 'civilize' us because of the lies that has been told him. Before we will again suffer as we have in times gone by there shall not be one building, not one foot of lumber, not a fence, not a tree or a particle of grass or hay that will burn be left in reach of our enemies. I am sworn, if driven to extremity, to utterly lay waste to this land in the name of Isreal's God, and our enemies shall find it as barren as when we came here." The saints were terribly upset for many of them had heard such words as 'civilize them' before. Many had lived through the troubles at Nauvoo, and had seen their Prophet slain.

The winter of 1857 was spent making preparations for a scorched earth policy and the migration south, should it become necessary. The saints knew Johnston's Army had been forced to winter camp because of the weather and the guerilla work of the Navoo Legion Calvery (some of the members were known as "The Avenging Angels"). The people were prparing for any eventuality, hoping for the best, but expection anything.

There had been a meeting and discussions with promises made to Brigham Young by the Army leader. In March of 1858 Colonel Thomas L. Kane had intervened in behalf of the saints. He was welcomed as their friend from Nauvoo, from the Mormon Battalion Days. But President Young wasn't taking any chances of another Hauns Mill tragedy, if he coould help it. As a result, before the 26th of June, 1858, the people had deserted all the northern settlements. All the provisions that they did not need, they cashed securely. For many days an almost continuous train of wagons could be seen going southward toward Provo and even farther. There was great suffering entailed in this move. We read of poorly dressed and bare-footed men, women and children trudging through the rains that suddenly descended upon them.

Edwin and Mary were among those saints going in obedience to the command of their leader, as they thought, to preserve their lives. Only enough men were left in the northern settlements to set fire to the houses and fields should it become necessary.

In the latter part of June (25 June 1858), Johnston's Army marched into Salt Lake City. It was a dead city through which they passed. The houses were deserted, the barns and granaries were empty, the fruit hung ripening on the trees, water ran rippling down the streets gutters. There was no sign of life anywhere, not even a dog barked. Not a sound was heard except for the regular tramp of the soldiery. On went the troops, awe-stricken at the sight, till they got beyound the seemingly dead city and encamped on the banks of the Jordan River. This is how Johnston's troops found Salt Lake City when they entered it. Had they remained it would have been one of the greatest conflagration in the history of any people. It seems a just God had touched the heart of the General, and the silent city that echoed only the tramping feet of his army was left as found.

After the Army established itself at "Camp Floyd" (which is located about 30 miles southwest of Salt Lake City). Many of the people that left Salt Lake and the northern settlements returned to their homes.

Edwin and Mary went as far as Provo during this move south and did not return to their former home. On March 20, 1859, Edwin took out his citizenship papers in the Third District Court at Provo, Utah.

On May 21, 1861, Edwin received his Patriarchal Blessing fro Patriarch John Young who was a brother of Brigham Young. The reporter was L. O. Littlefield of Provo. Edwin was told in this blessing: "You shall have a numerous posterity upon the earth." He was 51 years old at the time he received the blessing and his wife Mary was nearing 60. They must have wondered and thought a great deal about that promise because of their age. They both lived to see the promise fulfilled. Three years later, with Mary's approval and blessing Edwin took a second wife, her name was Emma J. Taylor. On April 9, 1864, he had Emma and Mary sealed to him in the Endowment House at Salt Lake City.

On July 3, 1880, at the age of 79, Mary died. She lived a good and wothy life and she was the kind of companion that was missed by all the family.

See more on the family under Edwin and Emma.

2. Utah County, Utah Cemetery Index. Edwin Watts, b. 8 October 1810. d. 1 January 1885, Burial: Springville City Cemetery.
3. Naturalization: Family history shows: 20 March 1859, Third District Court, Provo, Utah
Utah State Archives Shows: Intent filed 12 March 1859 but can't find any record of actual completion. Provo was in the First District Court until statehood.
4. TIB card Endowment House, #276, Book E, Page 14

Parents: Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER.

Spouse: Mary STANEFORTH. Edwin Thomas WATTS and Mary STANEFORTH were married about 1830 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England.

Spouse: Emma J. TAYLOR. Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR were married on 9 APR 1864 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Children were: Mary Angelina WATTS, Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr., Rose Hannah WATTS, Abraham WATTS, Harriet Mahaleth WATTS, Hyrum James WATTS, Emma Jamima WATTS, Martha Ann WATTS, Lucy WATTS, Clara May WATTS.

Photo Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. was born on 13 JUL 1867 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. He appeared in the census on 11 AUG 1870 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) He appeared in the census on 7 JUN 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) He appeared in the census in 1920 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah.
Census Place: Vermillion, Sevier, Utah
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
Edwin T. WATTS Self M M W 53 UT
Occ: Farmer Fa: Eng Mo: Eng
Laura WATTS Wife F M W 36 UT
Occ: Keeps House Fa: Eng Mo: Den
Edwin WATTS Son M S W 18 UT
Fa: UT Mo: UT
Mable WATTS Dau F S W 14 UT
Fa: UT Mo: UT
Rosella WATTS Dau F S W 9 UT
Fa: UT Mo: UT
Lawrence WATTS Son M S W 7 UT
Fa: UT Mo: UT
Ira Hansen SonL M M W 23 UT
Fa: UT Mo: Den
Clara Hansen Dau F M W 15 UT
Fa: UT Mo: UT

He appeared in the census in 1930 in Fayette, Sanpete County, Utah. He died on 13 JUN 1947 at Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. He was buried on 17 JUN 1947 in the Axtell Cemetery at Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah He has Ancestral File Number 1TVZ-7M. He was a Farmer & bricklayer in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah.
By Lilly W. Mellor

After the death of his first wife he married Laura Hannah Crowther, a young girl of 15. Laura had worked for the family and about four months later they were married.

Edwin and Laura had 6 children. Edwin Watts, born 25 Nov 1901. Clara May Watts (Hansen), born 20 May 1904. Mable Leona Watts (Simpson), born 10 Jan 1906. Rosezella Watts (Christensen), born 19 Jul 1910. Lawrence Richard Watts, born 29 Oct 1912. Moral Watts, born 14 Sep 1921. Laura died from childbirth when Moral was just 4 days old.

The oldest daughter, Clara, was married and had a child of her own at 17. Mable approx 15 years old. Rosezella 9 or 10. Lawrence was 8 years old. They were all left motherless when they needed the influence of a mother the most.

For those who read this, that are the decedents of this posterity, I'd say there has been a lot of sorrow and heart ache in this family caused by the abuse of alcohol. Alcohol has brought poverty and sorrow to all that it has touched and has hurt all of us directly or indirectly.

After the loss of his wives, Ed's life started to take a turn for the worse because of his abuse of alcohol in his latter years.

Ed Watts bought a 30 acre farm and built for him and his wives and family a lovely and very good house in Axtell, and later going to Fayette and buying 40 acres where he lived 8 or 10 years. Edwin sold his home and farm in Axtell for $2500.00. He drank the money up with the help of his in-laws and friends. He gave away his Fayette land for $150.00, it now has a value of over $5000.00. He never did get paid all the $150.00. He then sold his house for $50.00. And then he went on the old age pension and moved to Gunnison. With the help of a son-in-law he built a small home on the east side. Where I belive he was fairly happy with his younger children and friends of our age. Until the time of his death, he lived nearly 3 months with Lilly at Fayette. After he became old and unable to care for himself. But he was restless and when he felt a little better he went to Redmond with Rosezella for 10 days and then to Axtell where he died at Emma's home.

Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Spouse: Annie Margaret HANSEN. Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Annie Margaret HANSEN were married on 29 MAY 1895 in Gunnison, Sanpete County, Utah. Children were: Emma WATTS, Lilly WATTS, Annie Margaret WATTS.

Spouse: Laura Hannah CROWTHER. Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Laura Hannah CROWTHER were married on 2 FEB 1900 in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah. Children were: Edwin WATTS, Clara May WATTS, Mable Leona WATTS, Rozella WATTS, Lawrence Richard WATTS, Moral 'C' WATTS.

Spouse: Margaret Melverda (Rish) LANGSTON. Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Margaret Melverda (Rish) LANGSTON were married on 19 JAN 1923 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah.

Elizabeth WATTS was christened/baptized on 9 APR 1794 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. Parents: Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER.

Photo Emma WATTS was born on 10 MAR 1896 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She appeared in the census in 1920 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She appeared in the census on 7 APR 1930 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She died on 31 JAN 1971 at Ephraim, Sanpete County, Utah. She was buried on 3 FEB 1971 in the Axtell Cemetery at Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah She has Ancestral File Number 2R7M-3H. EMMA WATTS DUFFIN
1896 - 1971
Taken from Memories of
Lois Margaret Duffin Larson

Our Mother ........
I remember she would rarely buy new clothes for herself. She did one time buy herself two dresses - they were satin or silk in purple or navy blue. To me they were beautiful dresses.

I remember that at one time we didn't have any well water at our home. I remember mother putting two big wooden barrels on a sleigh pulled by horses. She would go a half mile away to a stream where she dipped water to fill the barrels and then haul them back home. This was our drinking water, wash water and everything else water. When we had our weekly bath in a round galvanized tub everyone used the same water. Mother worked very hard for all of us.

When I was small I remember our mother was a Primary teacher. Later she became a visiting Relief Society teacher for many many years. This she enjoyed, it gave her a chance to get away and to visit other people. She was always doing for or taking something to people who were ill.

She always had a garden and always wanted a lawn in front of her house, which she finally had in later years after Edna and I left home.

My first recollections of travel with my parents was in a buggy. We would go to Centerfield or Gunnison to the stores. I remember always being so excited. We always got some candy on these trips.

Mother canned hundreds & hundreds of quarts of fruits and vegetables every year. In the fall of the year our parents took a trailer and drove as far as Provo and bought lots of fruits for canning; peaches, pears, cherries, berries, apples and anything else available such as melons. Then the canning would begin for the year's supply. I remember many times they hauled back fruit for others. Most of them paid for it. We especially liked it when she canned meats. She had a pressure cooker. She would first brown the meat before putting it in the jars. We loved to "sop" a slice of home made bread into the delicious meat juices and eat it.

Mother was an excellent cook. Dad had a few more simple tastes - though he loved her cooking - he liked fried onions and also toasted bread in hot milk, buttered and with salt and pepper. The bread was toasted right on top of the wood range. I too loved this food.

Our father would haul the wood from the mountains every year. He chopped it and loaded it on the wagon. One year a load tipped over on him and broke some ribs. He also had a very bad back and required surgery at a later date. That could be one reason why mother did so much of the heavy work on the farm. At times they hired workers.

Mother broke her arm but I don't remember how. A relative helped us out for a while, possibly Aunt Jennie Crowther. I also remember one time she got laryngitis and could hardly talk! I was so glad as she was great to yell at us and that time she couldn't.

She worked much too hard and was an unhappy person around her children and husband. So she would take her frustrations out on Laura and later on Irene. Irene is 13 years younger. In later years she mellowed a lot and gradually lost a lot of her antagonism.

She was a firm believer in education. Before her death she was able to attend the college graduations of two of her grandchildren, Julie and Roger. She was extremely proud of them. Every time she went to Provo she would take them some of her canned goods to help with their groceries and visited and encouraged them.

She was always thrilled in later years when any of her grandchildren remembered her in a special way. Roger and his wife, Jo Ann, stopped to visit her once at the Gunnison Hospital. She was of course extremely proud when Irene graduated from BYU.

In later years she loved driving to Ephraim and visiting Edna and Sue Ann and her family. She always had a great love for her great grandchildren as well.

Mother and Dad were avid readers. Mother read any good book she could get. They were very well informed. Neither of them were able to go to high school as there wasn't one close enough and their parents thought, as so many did, that if one could read and write and do arithmetic, everything was all right. Given the opportunities of today, or their children's day, both of them could have had very rewarding careers. As both of them were of above intelligence with a great desire to learn. They kept learning all of their lives.

Mother never talked about her childhood or of being a teenager and of course children never related to their parents as having been young. Mother never learned to show her love as she never had any as a small child. Her mother died when she was 3 years old and her step mother - age 15 - just wasn't able to cope with three babies so she would take her frustrations out on our mother.

Mother kept a close relationship with all her family. Even though she may have been unable to express it she loved them all and talked about each of them and their families when she wrote or visited us. She was very upset when her half-brother Edwin joined the Jehovah Witness. It would have been the same with any other church. However she had to admit that he became a better and more thoughtful person as he quit his drinking and in time, Mother accepted the fact that it was for the best.

Dad had a very good job as yard foreman at the Gunnison Sugar Factory. Mother always wanted improvements made to the house. He wanted other to move into a better house in town. She refused to leave the farm or her cows and so they stayed where they were and a few big improvements were never made, though they could have afforded them. Dad worked all through the depression, though the factory laid off man men, the key men remained at half time as sort of custodians or watchmen. Most people had to accept government food, but we never did. Mother was continually helping those who had less than we did, that was almost everyone.

We went to almost every change of movie as a family could go for about $1.00 or $1.50. Most families couldn't even afford that.

I remember what a great event it was when my father bought his firs car! He went into Salt Lake and drove it home late at night. It was either a Ford or a Star. It had curtains we could snap on in the winter time to keep the cold out. I believe it cost about $300 and it was brand new. When I was 8 years old they got their first radio that you didn't need to use ear phones with.

What a great event it was when we got our first electricity! It made life much easier. They could have an electric washer! Prior to that they had one with a gasoline motor. And before that one with a lever you had to pull back and forth by hand. They had a new well driven with and electric pump which made it possible to pump water to the live stock.

Mother chopped most of the wood for her stove until she started using coal. Even then you needed wood to get the coal started burning. The coal burned longer without replenishing. Mother was the early riser that got the fires burning. She was always an early riser.

In her later years Mother liked to come to California and spend her winters. BUT, come spring she would head back to Axtell to plant her garden. Of course she had many friends and family she was anxious to visit and catch up with. She and her circle of friends always cooked big dinners on their respective birthdays. They would all get together to visit, work on hand work and visit. They did the same thing when some one had a quilt to be quilted. This was the social life the women loved.

When we, Lois and her family, moved back to Utah for five years she was very thrilled. My parents were always dropping in to visit in Gunnison. They loved the grandchildren. They and my sister Edna cried when we moved again, back to Los Angeles. Our mother was always bringing the children some little treat. They especially loved her big sugar cookies.

On time my parents bought a goat. I really don't know why because he would chew up the clothes hanging on the clothes line and anything else he could get. We also had guinea hens for a while and ducks. There were always milking cows and range cattle. Never a lot, but enough to have extra money. They eventually had a dairy barn with electric milkers which was really a work saver!!!

When we were small Mother always made sure that our Grandparents knew us. We had a step grandmother at that time. We would visit them often. Our Grandpa Watts lived in Axtell so everyone visited back and forth. The Duffin grandparents lived in Gunnison.

Mother always seemed afraid to ever have a really good time. She seldom joined Dad and we three older girls on camping and fishing trips or into Salt Lake. Our father wanted us to enjoy so many things. Mother refused to join us to Bryce or Zions or the Grand Canyon. She said she couldn't find anyone to do the chores. That wasn't so as there were always fellows anxious to earn extra money. Perhaps she felt she needed time by herself.

In those years the children of families were forever herding cows and they had to be herded in certain areas. It was probably necessary in order to preserve hay and grain during the drought and depression years. The children felt it was an imposition! Later when milk was sold to the dairies the milk cows ere expected to eat certain feed so the milk would have a better flavor.

Still later we raised turkeys. Some years there were 2,000 to 3, 000. Some years they made money and others a serious loss. It was always a gamble. Farming and livestock raising is usually a big gamble, especially on a small farm. Eventually mother had modern chicken coops and better equipment for farming. The crops all had to be irrigated.

My parents were thrilled to have two boys born to them after three girls! The second little boy died from a throat infection they called "thrush" at about six months. He also had exema very bad.

Our father loved dogs and cats but mother didn't have much use for them as pets. She was very upset if one came inside the house. She changed her mind somewhat about house pets when she visited her married daughters and we all had house pets.

One time Mother had some shortening heating in a pan on the stove. She forgot about it and went to the Post Office to pick up the mail. By the time she drove the mile back home it had started to burn and the kitchen was black with smoke. She got home before it burst into flames and her insurance paid for the cleanup.

In her later years she had arthritis and fell down easily. She suffered many painful bruises. She had misshapen painful feet. Probably from wearing Dad's old shoes and all the heavy lifting and carrying that she did. She later had surgery on her feet in Los Angeles and was so thrilled to be free of the pain and be able to wear more stylish shoes.

I remember how thrilled she was when Roger and Jo Ann were married and she was given a special corsage. She was the only grandmother there.

During one of her stays in the hospital I had a bouquet sent to her. She later said it was the first tie she had ever received a bouquet of flowers. So after that I always had a bouquet sent when she was hospitalized.

After our father died she went to Los Angeles and worked in rest homes for a while. Later she worked in Dr. Judd's home. She also worked in the turkey processing plant. The plant didn't pay much but she was able to socialize more with other people working there.

She always had a car and drove all the time. I know the Lord or her Guardian Angel got in the car with her every time she went some place, as she didn't look out for anything. Everyone had to guess what she was going to do. She frequently drove into Salt Lake. I believe she enjoyed her years of being single or widowed. It was the first time in her whole life that she could go where she wanted to go and do what she wanted to do without considering others depending on her. She lived a very clean life and would never do anything to have it otherwise. Many times she took one of her sisters or a friend with her to Salt Lake. If no one else could go, she would go alone. She liked to go stay with her sister Margaret.

When her sister Lilly was very ill with cancer she went to her home and cared for her until her death. She dearly loved all of her sisters and was always wanting to do little things for them.

As we older girls matured in later years we learned to understand some of Mother's inner turmoils. She had a very sad young life as a girl. I eventually was able to convey to her my love and understanding of her sad young live which most of us now realize from the little things she did and didn't do.

She dearly loved the Relief Society and being with her friends.

Our father didn't help mother very much with the heavy work. He was born at the wrong time and hated farming. Had he been born at a later time he could have been a very successful business man. Our mother wouldn't leave Axtell to live any where else. I think she was afraid of living in a community where there were too many people. Fundamentally she was very shy and had no confidence in her abilities. Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Annie Margaret HANSEN.

Spouse: James William DUFFIN Jr. James William DUFFIN Jr and Emma WATTS were married on 1 MAR 1916 in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah. Children were: Lois Margeret DUFFIN, Edna DUFFIN, Laura DUFFIN, Boyd Lee DUFFIN, Jay Orris DUFFIN, Irene DUFFIN.

Photo Emma Jamima WATTS was born on 28 FEB 1876 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. She appeared in the census on 7 JUN 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) She died on 11 JAN 1918 at Springville, Utah County, Utah. She was buried on 15 JAN 1918 in the Evergreen Cemetery at Springville, Utah County, Utah Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Spouse: Frank BEARDALL. Frank BEARDALL and Emma Jamima WATTS were married on 20 DEC 1893 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Children were: Edwin Reed BEARDALL, Blanche BEARDALL, Alta BEARDALL, Charlotte BEARDALL, Rose BEARDALL, Vada BEARDALL, Clifton LaVon BEARDALL, Lucile BEARDALL, Reha Bessie BEARDALL.

Etta M. WATTS was born in SEP 1898 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. She appeared in the census on 5 JUN 1900 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: Charles F. WATTS and Mary Avis RION.

Faith WATTS was born about 1745 in England.

Spouse: Benjamin BRADSHAW. Benjamin BRADSHAW and Faith WATTS were married on 29 SEP 1766 in Old Brampton, Derbyshire, England. Children were: William BRADSHAW.

Fannie B. WATTS was born in FEB 1893 in New Hampshire. She appeared in the census on 5 JUN 1900 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: Charles F. WATTS and Mary Avis RION.

Photo Harriet Mahaleth WATTS was born on 23 NOV 1873 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. She appeared in the census on 7 JUN 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) She died on 8 DEC 1964 at Yacolt, Clark County, Washington. She was buried on 12 DEC 1964 in Yacolt, Clark County, Washington. Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Spouse: Joseph Sterling SPENCE. Joseph Sterling SPENCE and Harriet Mahaleth WATTS were married on 27 APR 1891 in Provo, Utah County, Utah.

Spouse: Frank HOPPER. Frank HOPPER and Harriet Mahaleth WATTS were married on 31 JAN 1924.

Hyrum James WATTS was born on 11 MAR 1875 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. He died on 10 SEP 1875 at Springville, Utah County, Utah. Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Ida M. WATTS was born on 24 JAN 1887 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. She appeared in the census on 5 JUN 1900 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) She died on 1 SEP 1982. Parents: Charles F. WATTS and Mary Avis RION.

Issac WATTS was christened/baptized on 29 AUG 1813 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. He died on 20 DEC 1831 at Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. Parents: Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER.

Jack WATTS was born in 1927. He appeared in the census in 1930 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: Edwin WATTS and Thelma V. WHEELER.

James Henry WATTS was born in 1859 in New Hampshire. He appeared in the census on 9 JUL 1870 in Webster, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) He appeared in the census on 1 JUN 1880 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: William WATTS and Sarah E. SARGENT.

Jemima WATTS was christened/baptized on 2 JAN 1821 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. She died. Parents: Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER.

Jerry A. WATTS was born about 1930. Parents: Edwin WATTS and Thelma V. WHEELER.

John T. WATTS was born in FEB 1893 in New Hampshire. He appeared in the census on 5 JUN 1900 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: Charles F. WATTS and Mary Avis RION.

John Wesley WATTS was christened/baptized on 22 APR 1791 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. He died on 3 DEC 1818 at England. Parents: Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER.

Joseph WATTS Jr. was christened/baptized on 24 JUL 1748 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. He was buried on 19 OCT 1808 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. Parents: Joseph WATTS and Elizabeth WILFORD.

Spouse: Mary SHUGER. Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER were married on 13 NOV 1775 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. Children were: Thomas WATTS, Anna Maria WATTS, Theophalus WATTS, Millicent WATTS, Edward WATTS, Mary WATTS, John Wesley WATTS, Elizabeth WATTS.

Joseph WATTS was born in England.

Spouse: Elizabeth WILFORD. Joseph WATTS and Elizabeth WILFORD were married in England. Children were: Joseph WATTS Jr..

Lawrence Richard WATTS was born on 29 OCT 1912 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. He was blessed on 29 JAN 1913 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. He appeared in the census in 1920 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother) He appeared in the census in 1930 in Fayette, Sanpete County, Utah. (living at home with father.) He died on 28 AUG 1963 at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. He was buried on 31 AUG 1963. Burial at Mt. View Memorial Estates, Butler, Utah The cause of death was listed as Complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis. LAWRENCE WATTS
My Memories of Dad
By Joyce Strebel

I remember my dad to be a very loving, caring person. He was a hard worker and even though we didn't have money for everything we wanted, we still came through bad times, none the worse. Daddy was a very friendly person and had a personality which everyone loved. It seemed like daddy always had friends wherever he went. Whenever we went to visit his family they were always glad to see us. They would put themselves out to feed us, bed us down, and just all around make us feel at home.

We knew daddy enjoyed us kids too. He spent a lot of time with us. We went on vacations and camping trips and picnics in the canyons. Daddy liked to hunt and fish and we often went with him and mom. For the most part, I think daddy had a lot of patience in teaching us the things he wanted us to know.

Mama and daddy were not active in the church when I was small but they always made sure that we kids attended all of our meetings. I really don't remember not ever wanting to go to church.

One of my special memories is when we used to sit around either the Sunday dinner or supper table, and hear daddy tell about his childhood days. I used to think how fun it would have been to live at that time. It was a time when they make up a lot of their own fun--sometimes mischievous and sometimes just good, clean fun. Daddy told us about dates they took on horse back. When they finally got a car, they liked to ride in what was called the rumble seat. (A little seat that use to open up at the back and was kind of on the outside of the car.)

Daddy told us about a time when he and one of the Crowther boys (Newl, I believe) were constantly fighting, until one day his Aunt Jenny had had enough. She gave daddy and Newl both a stick and hung them by the straps of their overalls over the clothes-line and proceeded to make them hit each other one at a time. Finally, after some hitting, they were unhooked and became the best of friends from then on,

Daddy enjoyed farming and this he did during a lot of his younger years. He liked carpentry work and once built us a home out of an old army barracks. We lived in and had many good times in that house. The house was moved to Gayley's property just west of 7th East on 8600 South. We didn't have running water or a bathroom there so our water was hauled from Gayley's house. We had an out-door john, we cooked on a real stove and had an old up-right rectangle stove in the front room to keep us warm. Later, the house was moved to 731 East 8600 South in Sandy. There, daddy built a new part of our front room. I remember helping him put on the siding and laying the roofing shingles in place so he could tack them down. Dad fixed that barracks up to be a real nice house.

Because daddy liked farming so much, we eventually had a nice big garden and also a barn with a cow. I remember the neighbors didn't appreciate the smell from our barn but they sure loved the good fresh milk they bought from US.

Daddy also became a miner and worked many hard years in this profession in Lark Utah; a little town which there is little of anymore.

I remember that daddy liked sports, particularly baseball and boxing. Daddy used to play a little baseball himself but I remember he and mom going to many games at Derks Field to watch the Salt Lake Bee's. Almost every week daddy would watch the fights on T.V. The rest of the family really didn't like the fights so we would just let daddy alone on those nights.

Daddy also enjoyed music and dancing. He was an especially good dancer and I loved to watch he and mom dance. We once had a Father-Daughter party at Jordan High School. Daddy and I entered a hoola-hoop contest and we won. Our prize--a hoola-hoop of course. Daddy liked to play the harmonica and would play it fairly often. Sometimes our cocker spaniel dog, Rusty, would sing with him while he played. That was quite a duet. Daddy had a pretty good voice when he really put his heart into it. Some of his favorite singers were: Lenie Satrhmo Armstrong, and the Ink Spots. He also liked western music, like the Sons of the Pioneers.

I remember one summer when the minors of the Lark Mine went on strike. Daddy had to go to Idaho to work for Don Mickelson on his farm. He was gone for three months. I remember how I cried when daddy left and how much I missed him while he was gone. When he came back, he decided to surprise us and when he got home he parked his car down the street and walked home so we wouldn't know he was there. Well, when he walked through the door and I saw him I ran and jumped up into his arms and hugged and kissed him and I didn't want to let him go. That's the only time I ever remember daddy having to leave us and I hoped he would never leave us again.

At Christmas time there usually wasn't much money so mom and dad would agree that they would not buy each other anything and just get things for us kids. Dad always surprised mother and got her something anyway. Mother would get a little upset at dad for doing that but I think it meant a lot to her when he did. It was fun to see what he would buy her each year.

Daddy was not one to give many lickings, but when he did, you knew he was mad. Like once when Richard and I were small dad left us in the car while he went to do something and we got to fooling around and my head cracked the windshield of the car. And I can't remember if this happened on the same occasion or not, but a can of oil got tipped over on the floor of the back seat. Boy did we get it then!

Richard once got a terrible spanking from dad when he returned home without a 10 lb. bag of sugar mother needed for canning. He had stopped on the way back home to watch a ball game and during that time someone stole the sugar from his bike where it was strapped on the carrier. I think that's the worst licking I ever saw my dad give. Even mom intervened on that one. Once in a while we got spankings with willows. This was one of those times.

One Easter we went on a picnic with Grandma and Grandpa Tobbler and Uncle Walter. We went to Snow's Canyon in Southern Utah. While the grownups were fixing the food, quite a wind began to blow. As a fire had been prepared, it became the problem. The wind was blowing in the direction of the cars and a spark ignited the back of the front seat of our car. Richard and I happened to be in the car at the time. Daddy saw what had happened and rushed to the car and beat the flames out with his arm. He then jumped in the car, at that time laying his arm on the door. Dad's arm was severely burned leaving a large scar for the rest of his life. The fire had begun burning on the other side of the road. Grandpa's car wouldn't start so daddy bumped into him with our car to get him started. The fire was reported and taken care of. Needless to say, our Easter was ruined but thank heavens no one was seriously hurt. A few minor burns were sustained by other members of the family.

Some of daddy's favorite foods were figs that we would eat when ever we went to grandma and grandpa Tobbler's. He liked homemade bread, milk and grapes for supper on Sunday's. He especially liked milk gravy with new little red potatoes and fresh new peas from the garden and along with pork chops. This was one of our favorite meals at home. Dad liked to make baking powder biscuits. He mostly made them when he and mother would get into an argument and mother would shut herself into a room and dad had to fix dinner for us kids. Then he would brag real loud for mother to hear how good he could make those biscuits.

Daddy suffered with rheumatoid arthritis for many years. As time went by, it got progressively worse; sometimes to the point where mother would have to bathe him, comb his hair, and shave him because his hands were so crippled he couldn't use them. Daddy developed some very bad sores on his elbows and a fairly large one on his right shin that wouldn't heal, largely due to the cortizone he was taking for pain. The doctor's, while he was in the hospital, tried several different ways to heal the sores, but nothing seemed to work. After spending several weeks in the hospital, daddy left us and went back to live with our Heavenly Father. It was a very difficult time for us all.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of daddy in some way. So many times I w~sh he was here to counsel with and just to be here so I could put my arms around him and say: "Daddy, I Love You." Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Laura Hannah CROWTHER.

Spouse: Norma Dodge TOBLER. Lawrence Richard WATTS and Norma Dodge TOBLER were married on 31 DEC 1938 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Children were: Richard Vernon WATTS.

Lilla May WATTS was born in 1867 in New Hampshire. She appeared in the census on 9 JUL 1870 in Webster, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) She appeared in the census on 1 JUN 1880 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: William WATTS and Sarah E. SARGENT.

Photo Lilly WATTS was born on 15 NOV 1897 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She appeared in the census in 1920 in Fayette, Sanpete County, Utah. She died on 17 JAN 1962 at Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She has Ancestral File Number 2R7M-4N. The cause of death was listed as Cancer. She was given a Patriartcal Blessing.
By Vera Mellor

Lilly Watts was born November 15, 1897 at Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah, to Edwin Thomas Watts, Jr. and Annie Margaret Hansen.

Lilly's mother, Annie Margaret married John Lewis Bosshardt in the Manti Temple. Three children were born in this marriage. Laura, Henry, and Jennie. John and his son Henry died of diphtheria. Annie Margaret, wife and mother was not allowed to bury them in Gunnison. Annie Margaret and her mother dug graves on the south side of Willow Creek on government land and buried their loved ones.

Four months after the death of her husband and son, she gave birth to a daughter Jennie. Annie Margaret lived on her farm with her two children. Annie Margaret's mother, Margrethe Jorgensen came and lived with them.

Mother often stated that her grandmother Margrethe Jorgensen gave her the love and understanding she received as a child.

Five years after the death of her husband, Annie Margaret married Edwin Thomas Watts in a civil ceremony. In this marriage 3 daughters were born, Emma, Lilly and Margaret. Edwin adopted the two daughters of Annie Margaret's first marriage.

Annie Margaret's health was not good and she died in the 5th year of this marriage. This left emma 3 years old, Lilly not quite 2 years old, Margaret 1 month, Laura 11 years old and Jennie 9 years old.

Edwin hired a girl, Laura Hannah Crowther, age 17 to work at the family home, helping with the home and family.

Edwin and Laura were married about 4 months after the death of his wife. In this marriage came 6 children, Edwin, Clara (Hansen), Mable Leona (Simpson), Rosezella (Christensen), Lawrence Richard and Moral.

Things move along in a large family. Laura became ill and was taken to Springville and was operated on for gallstones. She never recovered and passed away at the age of 13.

Laura gave birth to her last son Moral, prematurely with complication and she died. Jennie an older half sister (she really is a step sister) raised this boy as her own son.

Many sorrows came to this family through deaths and hardships. Grandfather had began to drink causing more problems. I gave you this beginning back ground on Lilly as you can understand the families and conditions under which she grew up as a middle child of a middle family.

Mother didn't say much about her early preschool live, but said Emma, Margaret and she walked a little more than a mile each way to the old rock school. The girls carried their lunch in what was called a gallon lard bucket. Lilly said she did her work at school and got along very well. She had some water color paintings that she had done a school that were very good. Mother liked to tell about her sister Emma being restless in school. Emma had to stand in the corner behind the organ. When the organ would start playing, Emma would then get her hand hit with the yardstick. Another time they were required to memorize "The Bashful Boy in Snowshoes." Emma made a mistake and said, "he had melancholy crack in his back" when she should of said, "he had a melancholy crack in his laugh", everybody laughed and the teacher expelled Emma. Emma had to ask Mother what she had said that was wrong.

Mother said she never got along with her stepmother very well. Her stepmother was very fussy and each job or work had a time and a place. I'm sure she had many problems with children from three families.

It was mother's job to help with the house work, make bread, churn butter and take care of the milk.

Mother went to school through the eighth grade, which was considered and adequate education in those days. She then went to work as a domestic worker, doing work in other peoples homes. She was often employed when a new baby was born in the area of Axtell.

Mother's sister Emma married James William Duffin of Fayette. Mother went to stay with her at the birth of Emma's daughter Lois. It was at this time she met and started dating Merrill Mellor. She dated Merrill for sometime and he asked her to marry him. She turned him down. After returning home mother went to work at the Salina Hospital as a kitchen worker. She worked at the hospital for several months and began to have a change of heart toward Merrill. She then wrote Merrill that if he still would like to marry her she would accept.

Mother and dad went to Salt Lake City, by train taking with them dad's mother. They were married in a civil ceremony at the City and County Building, December 21, 1916.

Mother and dad lived in Fayette with grandfather and grandmother Mellor for about 9 months. Dad then had a two room house built and ready to move into. Mother tells about washing the windows of her new house. She was standing on a wooden barrel and the end of the barrel fell through and she could not get out, as mother was 5 ft. 3 ins. tall.

Paul was born shortly after they moved into their new home, September 11, 1917, Delila (Lila) Margaret came along January 21, 1919. Another son was born November 11, 1920, Jay Watts Mellor. This baby had a cleft palate and could not nurse. He was fed with an eye dropper. He died suddenly on March 20, 1921, at 4 months of age.

My grandmother Mellor was sure God had given and taken this baby because of something evil in my father and mother's lives. I was born March 27, 1922. Max Donald was born May 1, 1924. We were all born at Fayette.

We were raised through the depression. We had most of the necessities, plenty of food and made over clothes.

Mother did sewing for others and received some pay for it. She also loved to crochet and gave almost all of it away.

Mother was a person willing to lend a helping hand. I remember a neighbor had a still born child. Dad made a pine box coffin and mother covered the coffin. She also made the baby clothes for the child to be laid away in. She often mad burial clothes and sat up at nights with the dead.

Mother grew a garden and had some chickens. These helped with our way of life. The Sunday eggs always went to the Missionary Fund.

My grandfather Mellor was a good religious man. He spent may hours telling and teaching mother the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He encouraged mother to go to church, with her children, as dad was not active in the church.

The gospel became a way of life for her. She read many of the church books as she enjoyed reading. Mother lived the Word of Wisdom and paid her tithing. She didn't demand many worldly things and felt that sacrifice was good for us.

Mother became a counselor in the Relief Society, also a visiting teacher. She gave the Literary and Social Relation Lesson for the Relief Society. She taught small children in Sunday School. She was called on a Stake Mission for the Gunnison Stake for 2 years. At this time she was given a Patriarchal Blessing which promised her a long life. It also promised that she would witness the second coming of Christ a Jackson County Missouri.

Years passed by and dad had several heart attacks. Mother took very good care of him. Dad stopped smoking and started attending church, and living the gospel principles. They went to the Manti Temple and had their work done. Four of their five children were sealed to them. This was a happy day for both Mother and Dad.

In August 1961, Mother had a small cancer removed from her face. By October she began to realize that she did not feel well. She thought that she was having trouble with gall stones. In November she under went surgery. The doctors said nothing could be done for her. She felt that 64 years was not a long life, because of the promise in her Patriarchal Blessing.

Emma, her sister, came and stayed with her to help take care of her while she was so critically ill. I was with my mother on the day of her death January 18, 1962, Fayette. She was given a lovely funeral, her family and friends paying their respects. She was buried in the Fayette Cemetery.

The Days of Mortality

There is never a life without sadness,
There is never a heart free from pain,
But Life teaches to dry your eyes,
Lift up your head, smile and try again,
Joy and love is granted to take away the sting.

She lives a life of joy and sorrow
They were things of which she built her tomorrow,
Each soul must win what he deserves,
The fortunate is the one who never swerves,
What obstacle can stay the Mighty Force?

Life on earth began with birth
And death must end its course.

I don't fell Mother's history would be complete without her testimony and advice. I have found some papers written by her to her brothers and sister after the death of her father, which were written October 30, 1948. I also found a note she wrote to her family just before her death in 1962.

"There is progression beyond the grave. Only those who enter into the Eternal Marriage Covenants will receive the Celestial glory. No one can enter the Celestial Kingdom, who has not lived on this earth. This earth will be Celestialized at the end of the millennium. Those who are righteous enough to enter the Celestial Kingdom and were born on this earth will live here. We were created to live on this earth and this is where we will live if we so merit that glory.

If we do not receive the Celestial Glory, we will go to another place that is prepared for us. Our bodies will not be able to live in a Celestial world unless we have earned the right to it.

I urge each of you to go to the Temple, get your endowments, seal yourself to your parents, husband and your children to you.

Let the Lord be the judge. Prepare yourself. Do your temple work and as much as you can for the dead. The Lord will bless you if you do his work. May you have the courage to live the gospel teachings.

If you have any doubts as to what is right or wrong, go to the Church Authority over you and get their council and advice.

May the Lord of Heaven help us as a family to appreciate these privileges and while we may, do our church work.

May the mistakes of the past be a lesson to us so that we can grow and advance in a positive way that will lead us to the Celestial Kingdom. Remember the good things of the past, rejoice and benefit from them. There are many things to be proud of.

May the life hereafter bring us together again. In death we are released from suffering and sickness, but our work is not finished. After death we will continue to do our Lords work as he wants us to.

May all of you live as good as you can so that we may be together again."

Lilly Watts Mellor Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Annie Margaret HANSEN.

Spouse: Joseph Merrill MELLOR. Joseph Merrill MELLOR and Lilly WATTS were married on 21 DEC 1916 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Children were: Merrill Paul MELLOR, Margaret Delila MELLOR, Jay Watts MELLOR, Vera MELLOR, Donald Max MELLOR.

Louisa B. WATTS was born on 6 DEC 1872 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. She appeared in the census on 1 JUN 1880 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: William WATTS and Sarah E. SARGENT.

Louise WATTS was born about 1932. Parents: Edwin WATTS and Thelma V. WHEELER.

Photo Lucy WATTS was born on 5 JUL 1881 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. She died on 7 JAN 1965. She was buried in the Springville City Cemetery at Springville, Utah County, Utah Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Spouse: James Matson CHADWICK. James Matson CHADWICK and Lucy WATTS were married on 12 DEC 1902 in Provo, Utah County, Utah.

Spouse: Leo Washington BLACKETT. Leo Washington BLACKETT and Lucy WATTS were married on 15 FEB 1905 in Provo, Utah County, Utah.

Mable Leona WATTS was born on 10 JAN 1906 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She appeared in the census in 1920 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother) She died on 9 AUG 1989 at Gunnison, Sanpete County, Utah. She had Social Security Number 529-14-6764.
Social Security Death Index
Mable Simpson
SSN: 529-14-6764
Born: 10 Jan 1906
Died: 9 Aug 1989
State (Year) SSN issued: Utah (Before 1951 )

March 1981

My Mother, Mable Leona Watts was born January 10, 1906, to Edwin Thomas Watts and Laura Hanna Crowther in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She was the third child of six children. Her brothers and sisters were Edwin, Clara, Rozella, Lawrence and Moral. She also had three half sisters, Lilly, Emma, and Margaret Watts as her father had been married before and his first wife died.

She grew up on a farm and loved it. That is probably why she loves to work outside so much. She loves to have a pretty yard with lots of flowers and a garden. I can remember as a young girl waking up in the morning and finding her outside in the garden or the flowers. As a young girl she milked cows, gathered eggs, churned butter and herded the cows. Her father raised cattle, horses, sheep, pigs, turkeys, and chickens. He also grew hay, beets and grain. She made many a trip with her parents to Redmond, Gunnison and Salina to trade the butter and eggs for things they didn't raise. These trips were always made with the horse and buggy. She said what good butter her mother made and how everyone wanted it.

Mable attended school for eight years in the old school house in Axtell which has been remodeled into the church now. They made their own entertainment in those days. While herding the cows they made playhouses in the bushes and willows. They waded in the creek and played games together. Once in a while they would go to a dance in the old opera house in Redmond. She said how much fun they had dancing with everyone instead of dancing with the same one all night. She said how much everyone enjoyed the celebration of July 4th and 24th.

As a child she had the usual childhood diseases, mumps, measles, chicken pox and then has been blessed with good health all her life.

Each fall they would take covered wagons and go to Springville and bring back fruit to bottle. This trip took several days and they camped out at night.

Mable was only fifteen years old when her mother died September 17, 1921, three days after giving birth to Moral. This was an awful sad thing in her life. Grandpa remarried after that and the woman always wanted to get rid of the kids. So at the age of eighteen she went with Edwin and Thelma to Bingham Canyon and worked in a laundry for her cousin.

It was at Bingham that she met Mike Simpson. They were married May 11, 1925 in Salt Lake City. They later moved back to Axtell and then to Gunnison. She had five children, Leora, Arva, Viola, Bobby and Stanley. Life wasn't always easy for her but she made the best of things. She was left with five children to raise at the age of 36, as Mike died May 29, 1942. She also lost her father June 13, 1947.

She has always liked people and been a good neighbor. I don't know of anytime she's had trouble with a neighbor.

Mother has been a good cook and liked to cook, always making enough to give to all her kids. Some of her favorites and mine are her apple and pumpkin pies, rice pudding, potato salad, meat loaf and chicken dumpling soup. I can remember as a young girl how I loved her fried potatoes and home made bread. Also when we used to kill a pig she made good sausage. I haven't found any like it since then. Each year until the last two she has fixed a big birthday dinner for anyone that came. We kinda made her lazy the last two years and all got together at DeKator for a family reunion. These are fun times as the old and young play together.

She's had several trips that she has enjoyed. She went to Kansas when I had my first child and got in a flood and spent two days in the bus station until we got a guy to take his plane and fly her in. She made a trip to California with her sister Emma. Emma's girls then took her all over, even to the Rose Parade. Arva and Carol took her to Yellowstone and they saw the Idaho Falls Temple and the big rivers. She went with to take Laura Rose's young boy back to Mexico on the bus and spent a few days.

Mable had some bad luck a couple of times. She broke her leg once. Also racing down a hill on a picnic she fell and removed all the skin from her face, legs and arms. She had to stay hid a few days that time as she really looked a sight.

She worked in the school lunch at Salina for years cooking and serving the kids. She cooked in Ted's Place for a while and then worked at the R & R Furniture. She spent many years in the turkey plant, also.

She still loves to go walking and visiting to see her grandchildren. Each new great grandchild now is a joy to her. She loves the gospel and wants very much for her family to stay close to it.

She really loves these reunions and looks forward to them each year. She always worries if she doesn't think some of her family can make it.

To sum it all up she probably hasn't made big headlines in the worked but to a few people, her family, she's pretty special and we want her to know this day how very much she means to us and how much we love her.

Written by her daughter
Viola Larsen
Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Laura Hannah CROWTHER.

Spouse: Mike SIMPSON. Mike SIMPSON and Mable Leona WATTS were married on 11 MAY 1925 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Children were: Leora SIMPSON, Arva SIMPSON, Bobby J. SIMPSON.

Photo Martha Ann WATTS was born on 28 MAR 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. She appeared in the census on 7 JUN 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) She died on 11 JUN 1960 at Denver, Denver County, Colorado. She was buried on 17 JUN 1960 in Denver, Denver County, Colorado. The cause of death was listed as Heart disease. Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Spouse: James BOYLE. James BOYLE and Martha Ann WATTS were married on 2 JUN 1897 in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah. They appeared in the census on 15 JUN 1900 in Nephi, Juab County, Utah.

Spouse: Harry Lester HAMILTON. Harry Lester HAMILTON and Martha Ann WATTS were married date unknown. They were divorced.

Mary WATTS was christened/baptized on 26 MAY 1788 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. She died at England. Parents: Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER.

Photo Mary Angelina WATTS was born on 26 JAN 1865 in Provo, Utah County, Utah. She appeared in the census on 11 AUG 1870 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) She appeared in the census on 7 JUN 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) She died on 2 NOV 1930 at Springville, Utah County, Utah. She was buried on 5 NOV 1930 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Spouse: Joseph Garlic SHEPHERD. Joseph Garlic SHEPHERD and Mary Angelina WATTS were married on 27 FEB 1882 in Provo, Utah County, Utah. Children were: Joseph Hyrum SHEPHERD, Jesse SHEPHERD, Asa SHEPHERD, Nellie SHEPHERD, Francis SHEPHERD, May SHEPHERD, Edwin SHEPHERD, Myrtle SHEPHERD, Andrew SHEPHERD, Charles SHEPHERD, Lewis Mark SHEPHERD.

Mary Ann WATTS was christened/baptized on 21 FEB 1824 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. She died. Parents: Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER.

Mildred E. WATTS was born in DEC 1894 in New Hampshire. She appeared in the census on 5 JUN 1900 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: Charles F. WATTS and Mary Avis RION.

Millicent WATTS was christened/baptized on 2 MAR 1783 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. She died on 10 JUL 1837 at England. Parents: Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER.

Photo Moral 'C' WATTS was born on 14 SEP 1921 in Salina, Sevier County, Utah. He appeared in the census in 1930 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. (living with Thomas Crowther and Jennie.) He served in the military from 21 NOV 1942 to 18 NOV 1945 in World War II. He died on 20 DEC 2009 at Tooele, Tooele County, Utah. His obituary appeared in the Tooele Transcript Bulletion, Tooele, Tooele County, Utah on 24 DEC 2009.
Moral C. Watts Passed away peacefully at his home in Tooele on Dec. 20, 2009.

He was born to Edwin and Laura Hannah Crowther Watts on Sept. 14, 1921, but due to his mother’s death three days later, Moral was raised by his aunt Jennie and uncle Thomas Crowther.

After graduating Gunnison Valley High School, Moral served his country in the Navy during the latter part of WWII. Before he left for overseas duties, he married the love of his life ElNita Christensen, Aug. 4, 1944 in the Manti Temple. She preceded him in death in 1987.

Most of his working life was spent on the farm and in the Gypsum Plants.

Moral is survived by children Ronald Moral (Linda) Watts, D. Odell (Sue) Richmond, Robert (Susan) Woolsey, 11 grandchildren, 14 great grandchildren, and one great-great granddaughter.

A graveside service will be held Wednesday, Dec. 30 at 1 p.m. in the Aurora Cemetery, Aurora, Utah.

A special thanks to CSN Home Health, and the VA medical staff, and doctors for their tender care.

He was buried on 30 DEC 2009 in the Aurora City Cemetery at Aurora, Sevier County, Utah

Moral C. Watts was born 14 September 1921, to Edwin Thomas Watts and Laura Crowther Watts in Salina, Utah.

My mother died (September 17th) three days after I was born. My father gave me to Thomas F. Crowther and Jennie Bosshardt. Their son, Newel died the day I was born. Tom told my mother if she would take care of their boy in heaven, they would take care of me here on earth.

I was very small (3 lbs.) when I was born and the doctor didn't think I would make it so he set me aside and worked on my mother but couldn't save her. Jane Durfee, my mother's sister, got a nurse and told her to clean me up and put some warm blankets around me.

Jennie and Tom were very good to me, raising me along with their family Clarence, Ellis, Newell, Mildred and Ray. The first years I lived in a large rock house in Axtell just bellow the corral on the south side next to the ditch that goes through the field. Tom and Jennie had a brick home built in the year 1926 to 27. It took the stone mason and carpenters at least one and half years to build. The home was built entirely with hand labor.

We used to thin beets while the folks blocked them with a long handled hoe. We tromped hay or drove whip horse for twenty-five cent a day, and some of those days were from daylight to dark. In our early years Tom helped gravel the main highway that goes through the valley and also the side roads.

Electricity came to Axtell in the year 1930 and until 1940 there were only two telephones in that area. During 1930s and 1940s we grew up and did most everything together and had lots of fun and worked together on the farm. We would ice skate in the winter and swim in the summer on the Sevier River and lakes and ponds.

I was such a small scrawny kid that when I was supposed to go to school I would go hide under the front porch while school was in session. Then when the kids would come home from school I would hurry and join them so my folks thought I had been to school. By the time they caught on, Ray was old enough we could go to school together. I then continued my schooling. I attended school in Axtell from 1929-1936.

When I was around 11 years of age, we boys were swimming in the river. Someone set the salt grass on fire. We spent the rest of the afternoon fighting the fire. Come fall that was the greenest grass you ever saw.

One time Ray and I were fighting and Jennie threw a bucket of water on us. That stopped the fight!

We had two cows to milk morning and evening, beef, hogs and sheep to feed and herd. We also had two thousand chickens to feed and water and lots of eggs to clean.

In the early thirties we were in both a depression and a drought We had very little water. A ditch of water passed by the home. We dipped water with a bucket. We drank this water and used it for all purposes.

We filled two fifty-gallon wooden barrels with water before the ditch went dry. The water got very rancid before the water came down the ditch again. About 1935 we had a well drilled and a hand pump installed.

You couldn't give a pig away during those years. Cattle sold at three cents a pound and chickens at two cents a pound. Many animal in the country were destroyed because there was no market for them. In the cities people were starving and standing in soup lines to get anything to eat.

I went to the eighth grade in Centerfield in the fall of 1937 and spring of 1938. Both years that I left the Axtell and Centerfield schools, they were closed. I liked to play baseball and basketball, go to picture shows and dances on Friday and Saturday nights. I took three years of seminary which included Church History and the Old and New Testament. I went to high school in Gunnison and graduated in 1941.

In our early life we burned coal and wood to cook with and for light we burned candles and used lamps. We produced all of our food and made most of our clothing. We would thin or top sugar beets and make an average of three dollars a day. We put in long days in the hay and grain fields and made two dollars a day. What money we made we used to buy clothes and pay all the school expenses. While in high school we had paper routs, both the Deseret News and Tribune. We made thirty-five cents a paper. We had thirty papers and made a profit of $10.50 a month per paper.

I and three friends from Axtell went to Aurora and coming up Center Street we met three girls; Valna Mason, Enid Christensen and El Nita Christensen. We asked them to ride with us. This how I met my wife El Nita. I would go to dances and movie shows in Aurora. I worked in Delta and we would come home every other weekend and would be a letter from El Nita so I would go over and we would do something.

It was 1942 when Ray and I worked together out west of Delta where they were building a camp for the Japanese. It was called Topaz. We drove nails with a rigging ax with a corrugated head. We put the nails in with one or two hits and sometimes we lost our thumbnails when we hit tie wrong nail. We made eighty-five cents and hour which was big money in those days. The time frame was June through September. I then joined the U.S. Navy.

When I came home on my thirty day leave I spent a lot of time with El Nita. She lived in Salt Lake so I stayed with my brother who lived up there. One day she decided to take the day off so we could spend the day together. We went downtown Salt Lake to do some shopping. I bought her a suit and she really loved it. She called her job and told them she was ill and the company nurse came to check on her. She about lost her job. Before I went back to Davisville, Rhode Island, I gave her an engagement ring. When I at Fort Hueneme, California, they gave us a weeks leave. I telegraphed El Nita and told her to meet me at the Rio Grande train station in Salt Lake at such and such a time and maybe we would get married. She met me at the station with her mother. We went to the State Capitol and got our marriage license and got our blood tests and headed south to home. The next day, 4 October 1944, we were married in the Manti Temple. We came back to Axtell to a wedding dinner and then to Aurora for the night. Her folks took us to Milford where we boarded the train to Los Angeles, California. El Nita stayed with two of my nieces for two weeks till I found us some living quarters. We stayed in the CB rooms in Ventura where we shared kitchen privileges with another couple. El Nita worked on the base where I was stationed. She stayed there till I was shipped out.

I joined the Navy on November 21, 1942, and left Salt Lake on November 22nd by train for Camp Allen, Norfolk, Virginia. I arrived in Virginia on November 26, 1942, was issued the best G.I. clothing and had my medical exam. I went to Camp Bradford, Norfolk, Virginia, for boot training on November 28, 1942, and stayed there for four weeks of training. I the went to Camp Peary, Williamsburg, Virginia for advanced training. The 54th Naval Construction Battalion was formed and I was put in Company D, Platoon 4. I went by train through Washington D.C. and New York City up to Camp Endicott, Rhode Island and was there until February 22, 1943, when I boarded ship at Bayonne, New Jersey. I was on LSRT 388, a landing craft that could hold 32 medium-sized tanks. When we left the U.S. the further east we went the convoy of ships seemed to get larger. We stopped at Bermuda about 800 miles from the U.S. and ere there for about five days before we headed for Africa. As far as the eye could see ships of all sizes were in the convoy. There were also all types of landing craft and support ships to see the convoy through safely. We crossed the Atlantic and were on the high seas for 33 days. We reached the Rock of Gibraltar which enters the Mediterranean Sea and landed at Benisaf, North Africa, around March 28, 1943. What a place! Arabs met us at the dock in head turbans and long sholeaties. While in North Africa we built staging areas, docks and airfields at Mostoganem.

Going into the Mediterranean the fog was so heavy you couldn't see a ship anywhere, you could just hear foghorns. When we had been at Mostoganem about four days the Germans came in with their bombers and wiped out all gun emplacements around us. We were so scared for awhile and some of the men lay on the ground and cried like babies. We had no warning. As we completed our work around Arzew and Algiers we shipped out to Tunis. While going into Bizerte Harbor a German sub sank one of our ships and we had to pull a lot of our men out of the water. For about two months the Germans came in almost every night and dropped their flares lighting the sky up like it was day and then down came the bombs. During one of these raids they dropped some cluster bombs and did a lot of damage to the 70th Naval Construction Battalion.

The next morning I took over another fellows K.P. While taking a loaf of bread out of a bread slicer that was run by another fellow, he let go of the handle. It move the large flywheel and I saw it coming down. I pulled my hand out of the slicer, the knife caught my right index finger and cut if off below the second joint. I ran a couple miles to the Navy hospital and before they saw what had happened they called the hospital and sent a jeep after me. I was to the hospital before they caught up with me.

There were hundreds of all types of landing craft getting ready for the invasion of Italy. While on shore some German fighter planes came in. We hit the deck and their maching gun bullets were going down on both sides of me. I got up and hid behind a building when they made another pass and came back shooting. The Germans had large supplies of gas and ammunition so our planes came in and dropped fire bombs on them. What some fires!

The army drove the Germans out into the sea. They would not give up. We had to go out in small boats and pick them up and bring them back to land and put them in prison. The Italians gave us no problesm. Also while getting ready for the invasion of Italy our fighter planes and bombers would go out at least two times a day for better than two weeks dropping block buster bombs on their towns and cities. As far as the eye could see in all directions there were war planes on their way to destroy the Italians and Germans. After the invasion and all military went up the coast of Italy, most of our battalion went back to the U.S.

It was at this time that I had my weeks leave and married El Nita. When I took her back to California with me we had a lot of fun and saw a lot of places in California before I shipped out for the second time on January 10, 1945. I was on a transport ship that held around 6,000 men. We arrived in the Philippines on March 4, 1945. On our way to the Philippines we were out in the middle of the Pacific anchored out about a mile from a small island not over 2 feet high. I stayed aboard ship and looked at that island for almost a month and got to go ashore one day in all that time. After the war the U.S. exploded a number of atomic bombs on that island. While we were in the Phillippine Islands, as far as the war was concerned it was pretty calm; no Japanese airplanes, some rifle shooting was going on, but the stormy weather was our biggest problem. The military was getting forces ready to move on up to invade Japan and the U.S. Dropped two atomic bombs on them. The war came to a close. On October 12th, 1945, I boarded a merchant ship for the U.S.A. I spent a week at Camp Shoemaker and was discharged on November 18, 1945.

When I got home El Nita had a home and furniture all paid for from our savings during the war. In 1946, I and El Nita's father went in partnership together on buying a farm, livestock and machinery. That same year Wallen got a job as head recorder in the Manti Temple and he stayed with it the rest of his life. As time went on we eventually bought the farm. I worked in the Lark Mine for three years (1950-1952) and paid off all our debt on the farm and made lots of improvements. In the meantime El Nita worked in the Church offices and enjoyed it very much.

When I came back to Aurora we adopted Ronald when he was five months old. We also got Odell Richmond when he was Four and Robert Woolsey the day he turned nine. We loved and enjoyed these boys very much. I went to work for Western Gypsum Company on January 5, 1955, and after several name changes they became Georgia Pacific Company. I worked ther 28 years. El Nita liked to drive tractor and bale hay. We had an average of 18-20 milk cows. 10-12 brood sows, 40 head of beef cattle, lots of pigs of all sizes.

El Nita was a very dedicated person and a good wife. We had a great love for one another. She gave so much of her time working in the Church. She loved the youth and people of all ages. El Nita suffered the most of 18 years with Rheumatoid Arthritis. She went until she couldn't go any longer. There has been quite a void in my life and I miss her very much. I took early retirement to take care of El Nita who was very ill. That was October 1, 1983, and She died April 26, 1987.

Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Laura Hannah CROWTHER.

Spouse: El Nita CHRISTENSEN. Moral 'C' WATTS and El Nita CHRISTENSEN were married on 4 AUG 1944 in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah.

Nathan WATTS was christened/baptized on 3 APR 1803 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. He died on 29 DEC 1803 at Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. He was buried in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. Parents: Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER.

Nathaniel WATTS was born about 1730 in Essex County, Massachusetts. He has Ancestral File Number 2WK0-BD.

Spouse: Abigail FLANDERS. Nathaniel WATTS and Abigail FLANDERS were married on 21 JUN 1750 in Atkinson, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. (SOURCE: FHL Number 1001321; WATTS, Nathaniel, Marriage: Abigail FLANDERS; Date: 21 Jun 1750; Recorded in: Birth and Marriage Index for New Hampshire.)

Richard Leith WATTS was born on 10 SEP 1973 in Mountain Home, Baxter County, Arkansas.

Spouse: Tara Lee COLBY. Richard Leith WATTS and Tara Lee COLBY were married on 18 MAR 1995. Children were: Bradon Leith WATTS, Brodey Lee WATTS.

Richard Vernon WATTS was born on 15 JAN 1940 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Parents: Lawrence Richard WATTS and Norma Dodge TOBLER.

Photo Rose Hannah WATTS was born on 22 DEC 1869 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. She appeared in the census on 11 AUG 1870 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) She appeared in the census on 7 JUN 1880 in Springville, Utah County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother.) She died on 4 MAR 1902. Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS and Emma J. TAYLOR.

Spouse: Thomas Jefferson GROESBECK. Thomas Jefferson GROESBECK and Rose Hannah WATTS were married on 13 OCT 1889 in Provo, Utah County, Utah.

Rozella WATTS was born on 19 JUL 1910 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. She appeared in the census in 1920 in Axtell, Sanpete County, Utah. (living at home with father and mother) She died on 16 FEB 1962. She was buried on 20 FEB 1962. Parents: Edwin Thomas WATTS Jr. and Laura Hannah CROWTHER.

Spouse: LeGerald ORTON. LeGerald ORTON and Rozella WATTS were married on 16 JUL 1926. They were divorced.

Spouse: Elden John CHRISTENSEN. Elden John CHRISTENSEN and Rozella WATTS were married on 20 SEP 1929.

Samuel WATTS was born on 18 AUG 1691 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. He died.

Spouse: Dorothy COLBY. Samuel WATTS and Dorothy COLBY filed marriage intentions on 5 NOV 1727 in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. They were married on 13 NOV 1727 in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. Children were: Dorothy WATTS.

Sarah WATTS was christened/baptized on 29 AUG 1813 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. She died. Parents: Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER.

Simeon R. WATTS was born in 1871 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. He appeared in the census on 1 JUN 1880 in Hopkinton, Merrimack County, New Hampshire. (living at home with father and mother.) Parents: William WATTS and Sarah E. SARGENT.

Theophalus WATTS was born on 17 APR 1778 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. Parents: Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER.

Thomas WATTS Jr. was christened/baptized on 19 AUG 1819 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. He died. Parents: Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER.

Spouse: Sarah HATFIELD. Thomas WATTS Jr. and Sarah HATFIELD were married on 7 APR 1844.

Thomas WATTS was born on 24 DEC 1780 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. He was christened/baptized on 27 DEC 1780 in Radcliff Upon Trent, Nottinghamshire, England. He was buried on 25 FEB 1827 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. Parents: Joseph WATTS Jr. and Mary SHUGER.

Spouse: Ann FOSTER. Thomas WATTS and Ann FOSTER were married on 1 APR 1802 in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, England. Children were: Edwin Thomas WATTS, Nathan WATTS, Sarah WATTS, Issac WATTS, Thomas WATTS Jr., Jemima WATTS, Mary Ann WATTS.

Back       Next