ANDREW FERGUSON is a prominent farmer resident on section 33, Atlas Township, Genesee County. He is a native of the land whose sanguine and sunny-tempered sons have done a great deal toward building up the public confidence in various departments of commercial life. He was born in Londonderry County, Ireland, in July, 1822, and is a son of Daniel and Hannah (Hassin) Ferguson, who were both also natives of Ireland though of Scotch origin. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native country upon a farm.
As a lad Mr. Ferguson received a good English education in his native land. His aims have ever been above the average and he has become a very well-posted man. In 1848 he emigrated to America, taking passage at Londonderry on a sailing vessel and after a voyage of seven weeks and three days landed in New York City. The first year after arriving here he lived at Newburg on the Hudson, and the next two years he spent on a farm in Orange County, N. Y., thence going to Brockport, N. Y., where he learned the foundry business and served an apprenticeship of two years, after which he followed the trade continuously for some time.
In 1859 he returned to Ireland and was married May 26, to Miss Anna E. Young, who was born in County Donegal, November 11, 1831. She was a daughter of James S. and Mary E. Young. The parents were natives of the North of Ireland, although her paternal great-grandfather was a Scotchman and her maternal ancestors were English. In 1859 shortly after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson returned to America, taking passage at Belfast on the steamer "City of Manchester" and after a voyage of twelve days they landed in New York, They came directly to Goodrich, Mich., and in the fall of 1859 settled on the farm where they now live, where Mr. Ferguson had come several years previously, having worked in the foundry at Goodrich for a number of years. He had purchased land from the Government in Tuscola County and owned a farm and resided there a portion of several years.
Of nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson seven still live. They are Mary L., wife of W. J, Leader; Estella, wife of John Layman, a clerk in a store; Margaret E., a teacher; Martha I., wife of Edward Goodrich; Andrew J.; Jesse V., a teacher; and James V. Mr. Ferguson has done much hard work in developing his farm. He now owns two hundred and one acres of land which is under a good state of cultivation. He has been very successful in the accumulation of his property and has been ably assisted by the encouragement, the prudence and economy of his amiable and estimable wife.
Mr. Ferguson is a Democrat in his political liking and a man of excellent judgment as to the state of Governmental affairs. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. Previous to coming to America Mrs. Ferguson was engaged in teaching in the national schools of Ireland. She is a most intelligent and interesting lady and both her husband and herself have a large circle of friends of which they are the center.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Genesee, Lapeer and Tuscola Counties, Michigan, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies of all the Governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States Chicago: Chapman Bros. 1892.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by: Joy Fisher