ROBERT MITCHELL FERGUSON (baptised at Eglinton on 10 Feb 1870) as the son of JOHN FERGUSON and his wife, MARGARET MITCHELL.
This Margaret Mitchell was my great-grandfather's younger sister, and I wanted to give you more information on this family:
The father, JOHN FERGUSON, was at Mantua and Gortree, and was the son of SAMUEL FERGUSON. By his first wife (name unknown), he had two daughters. As a widower, he married MARGARET ANNE MITCHELL (born ca. 1837) on 10 May 1857 at Glendermott Presbyterian Church (he was described as "of Mantua" in his marriage entry) . She was the daughter of JAMES MITCHELL of Killymallaght (1803 - 17 December 1881) and his wife ISABELLA HENRY (1805 - 14 May 1892). Mrs Margaret Anne Ferguson (born Mitchell) died after 1903.
I understand they had 10 children (I am not sure about the order):
1. SAMUEL FERGUSON, died as a child.
2. SAMUEL FERGUSON, emigrated to New Bedford, Massachusetts, USA.
3. JAMES FERGUSON, born 24 March 1865, farmer at Gortree, still farming there in May 1909 (had regular contact with his Mitchell uncle and cousins).
4. DAVID FERGUSON, born 7 September 1867, emigrated to New Bedford, Massachusetts, USA (had 2 grandsons in the USA).
5. ROBERT MITCHELL FERGUSON, baptised at Eglinton on 10 Feb 1870, died young.
6. WILLIAM H. FERGUSON, bapt. 14 April 1873 at Glendermott Presbyterian Church (father then at Gortrie), emigrated to New Bedford, Massachusetts, USA.
7. ISABELLA F. FERGUSON, born 29 April 1876, bapt. 4 June 1876 at Glendermott Presbyterian Church (father then at Gortrie), married and living in Londonderry. (I do not know if these dates should be 1874 or 1876 -- in my haste, I had written the entry down as a birth in 1876 and a baptism in 1874).
8. THOMAS ALEXANDER FERGUSON, born 18 December 1878, bapt. 2 March 1879 at Glendermott Presbyterian Church (father then at Gortree), emigrated to New Bedford, Massachusetts, USA.
9. REBECCA FERGUSON, married and living in Londonderry. I believe that a granddaughter was Mrs Annie McBride, who was living at 77 Chapel Street, Waterside, Londonderry.
Sources: Parish records at Glendermott, personally inspected by me at the Glendermott Manse in August 1981. Other information is from within the family.
Submitted by: Dave Mitchell