The Descendants of Joran Kyn of New Sweden
By Gregory B. Keen 1913   The Swedish Colonial Society

Jasper George Yates Extract from the Gregory B. Keen work
[2015 by Ronald E, Yates]

Jasper George Yates Extract from the following work [2015 by Ronald E, Yates]: The Descendants of JORAN KYN of New Sweden; By GREGORY B. KEEN, LL.D. Vice President of the Swedish Colonial Society; Philadelphia; the Swedish Colonial Society; 1913

New Sweden

This work comprises (with numerous additions) a series of articles originally printed in The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, volumes II-VII, issued by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania during the years 1878-1883. For the first six generations included in it, it is, genealogically, as complete as the author, with his present knowledge, can make it.

Members of later generations are mentioned in footnotes in such numbers, it is believed, as will enable others to trace their lineage from the first progenitor with little difficulty. It is published not merely as the record of a particular family but also as a striking example of the wide diffusion of the blood of an early Swedish settler on the Delaware through descendants of other surnames and other races residing both in the United States and Europe. No attempt has been made to introduce into the text information to be gathered from the recent publication of the Swedish Colonial Society, the most scholarly and comprehensive History of the Swedish settlements on the Delaware written by Dr. Amandus Johnson, to which, therefore, the reader is referred for further enlightenment on that subject. Philadelphia, St Olafs Day, 1913. G. B. K.

[The works contains many references to Jasper George Yates and the intent of this compilation is to extract each one to allow a better appreciation of the details and history related to Mr. Yates.]

Joran Kyn, one of the earliest European residents upon the river Delaware, and for more than a quarter of a century the chief proprietor of land at Upland, New Sweden, afterwards Chester, Pennsylvania, was born in Sweden about A. D. 1620. He came to America in company with Governor John Printz, in the ship Fama, which "sailed from Stockholm," narrates Magister John Campanius Holm, a fellow-passenger in the same vessel, "on the 16th of August, 1642," and, after stopping at Dahlehamn, Copenhagen, and Helsingor, left Gottenburg Castle for the "Spanish Sea" (as the Atlantic Ocean was at one time called) "on the 1st of November, at noon."

[Under Johan Bjornsson Printz, governor from 1643 to 1653, the company expanded along the river from Fort Christina, establishing Fort Nya Elfsborg on the east bank of the Delaware near present-day Salem, New Jersey and Fort Nya Gothenborg on Tinicum Island (to the immediate southwest of today's Philadelphia), where he also built his manor house, The Printzhof.

The Swedish colony prospered at first. In 1644, New Sweden supported the Susquehannocks in their victory in a war against the English in the Province of Maryland. In May 1654, the Dutch Fort Casimir was captured by soldiers from the New Sweden colony led by Governor Johan Risingh. Fort Casimir was renamed Fort Trinity (in Swedish, Trefaldigheten).]

Fort Nya Gothenborg on Tinicum Island, inhabitants had their dwellings and plantations," and here resided Joran Kyn. In a "Bulla" dated by Printz at "Kihrstina, June 20, 1644," preserved in the Royal Archives at Stockholm, he is mentioned as a soldier in the Governor's lifeguard and in a "List of Persons living in New Sweden, March 1, 1648," is once more similarly described.

It was not long before the small island in the Delaware, where these early colonists had their first homes in the New World, had ceased to afford sufficient scope for their fast growing families, and was abandoned by many of them for other residences on the main river shore. The site which proved attractive to the eyes of Joran Kyn was Upland. Not only did the place enjoy the privilege of close proximity to the seat of government (which still remained at Tinicum), but it was also favored in the possession of great natural advantages (among the rest in being at the mouth of a navigable stream), and was, moreover, already in a good state of cultivation, having been occupied by farm-servants, in the employment of the Swedish Company who organized the colony, as a tobacco-plantation, as early as 1644.

The tract of land which he acquired was unusually large, even for those days of liberal grants, extending along a great part of the eastern bank of Upland Kill, now Chester Creek, for a mile and a half above its mouth-at the northwestern portion, upon which the Crozer Theological Seminary is situated at present, three-quarters of a mile in width-and reaching to the east along the Delaware as far as Ridley Creek.

New Sweden It was about the period, probably, of the departure for "old Sweden" of his friend and fellow-soldier Governor Printz that he resigned his military functions, and gave himself more unreservedly to the pursuits of agriculture; and these, with the care of his youthful family, continued to be his chief engagements, and detained him ever at Upland, during the rest of his long life.

Anna Kyn daughter of Joran Kyn, was born in New Sweden, and resided with her father at Upland. She was married to James Sandelands, of that place, whose mother still lived there in February, 1683-4, and whose father was a native of Scotland. Her husband is mentioned for the first time August 6, 1665, when he received a patent for land, probably the same as that dated, according to another authority, August 6, 1668, "for two lots of land in Upland at Delaware, upon the North side of the creek or kill." As early as 1680, in a deed conveying to him a few acres of land at Upland owned by Israel Helm, he is described by his distinctive occupation as "merchant" a calling which might almost be said to characterize him among the peculiarly agricultural Swedes by whom he was surrounded.

On the coming hither, in 1681, of Colonel William Markham, the representative and precursor of the great Founder of Pennsylvania, Sandelands's abilities and experience in the affairs of the older colony received immediate recognition, and he was appointed by the Deputy-Governor one of the nine members of the "Council" which that gentleman's commission authorized.

James Sandelands died at Chester on the 12th of April, 1692, aged fifty-six years. His friend, Patrick Robinson, and his son-in-law, George Forman, were appointed overseers of his last will and testament. Anna Sandelands survived her husband, and after a comparatively brief period of widowhood married Peter Baynton, indifferently described as "shopkeeper" and "merchant," who came, it is said, from England.

"An Account of the Building of St. Paul's Church in Chester," rendered to the English "Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts," June 25, 1714, occur the following interesting statements: "The ground on which this small but compact fabrick of Brick is built was formerly a burying place belonging to a Colony of Swedes, the first Inhabitants of this Province from Europe. In this Swedish Dormitory James Sandelands of Chester (or, as it was first called, Uplands), Merchant, a man of good reputation in the Country, was on account of affinity interred to keep up the memory of this founder of a growing family; 'twas agreed on amongst his relations that his grave, as also that of his kindred and family, who were or might be buried there, should be distinguished & set a part from the rest of the burying ground by an enclosure or wall of stone.

This design was no sooner formed & noised abroad, but 'twas happily suggested by a projecting fellow in Town, that, if it seemed good to Mr. Sandeland's relations, the intended stone wall about the place of his interment might be [expanded somewhat & formed into a small chapel or Church.] This new motion was well liked of by his relations & encouraged by everybody in the neighborhood that wished well to the Church of England.

But, they who put life into this proposal & prosperously brought it to pass were Jasper Yeates, Merchant in Chester, and James Sandelands, son to the above named Mr Sandelands, the latter of which two Gentlemen, besides other gifts, gave some land to enlarge the Church Yard, but the former, to wit, Mr Yeates, a zealous assertor of our constitution in Church & State, must be allowed to have been the main promoter of the founding of St. Paul's upon Delaware."

By her first husband, James Sandelands, Ann Keen had seven children:

Eleanor, m. George Forman, a prosperous merchant of the colony, mentioned as early as November 30, 1681 and one of the witnesses, October 28, 1682, to the delivery of New Castle by the representatives of the Duke of York to William Penn. He assisted in the settlement of his father-in-law's valuable estate, and was chosen as guardian by Christian, Mary, and James Sandelands, who were minors at the time of their father's death.

New Sweden

On the 23d of June, 1696, he granted powers of attorney to his wife and brother-in-law, Jasper Yeates, enabling them to convey away his property in the Province, and shortly after went to Great Britain, where he is described June 3, 1696, and July 12, 1699, as "of Cain, in the County of Wilts, in the Kingdom of England, Gentleman."

This is the last mention of him met with; Mrs. Forman sold her husband's land during these years, and may have followed him across the sea, since nothing more is heard of her here. It is not known whether they left posterity.

Catharine Sandelands, daughter of James and Ann (Keen) Sandelands, was born at Upland, January 26, 1670-1. She married, first, Alexander Creker, who died, however, probably without issue, not long afterwards, letters of administration on his estate being granted March 16, 1690-1 (with her consent) to Mr. Sandelands, "his principal creditor.''

Hereupon Mrs. Creker married, secondly, Jasper Yeates, of Philadelphia County, a native of Yorkshire, England, a gentleman of considerable intelligence and force of character, who emigrated to the West Indies, and afterwards settled as a merchant on the Delaware.

[Said to have been the second wife of Jasper Yates, his first being a West Indian, who died without issue. For information with regard to Mr. Yeates and his descendants the writer is under every obligation to his friend and kinsman the late Charles R. Hildeburn, to whom, also, he is indebted for much assistance at other points of this family history.]

Mr. Yeates was rated one of the wealthier inhabitants of Philadelphia in the Tax List of 1693, and resided at that time in a house on the east side of Front Street, between Walnut and Spruce, afterwards sold by him to Governor Markham, who occupied it until his death. Before the close of this year he removed to Chester County, as appears from a deed for land below New Castle, called "Markham's Hope," purchased by him, at that date, from Governor Markham. In 1697 Mr. Yeates purchased the mills and property at the mouth of Naaman's Creek, in New Castle County, and the following year bought lands in Chester, erected extensive granaries on the creek, and established a large bakery.

He also built for the residence of himself and family "the venerable Mansion,'' still standing. On erecting the Town of Chester into a Borough, October 31,1701, William Penn constituted Jasper Yeates one of the four Burgesses, and Mr. Yeates was chosen Chief Burgess in 1703, being the earliest occupant of that office whose name has been preserved to us. At a meeting of the Provincial Council, March 19,1705-6, he was ordered, with others, to survey "the Queen's Road" to Darby, connecting Chester more directly with Philadelphia.

Mr. Yeates possessed some knowledge of the law, and in 1694 was appointed Justice of the Court for Chester County, and in later years (as from 1704 to 1710, and from 1717 till his death in 1720) held the position of Associate Justice of the Supreme Courts of the Province of Pennsylvania and the Lower Counties on the Delaware. On the 25th of September, 1696, Mr. Yeates was admitted to a seat in the Provincial Council of Pennsylvania, an office whose duties he fulfilled, with some intervals of intermission, for the rest of his life.

In October, 1700, he was elected a Representative of New Castle County in the General Assembly of the Province, and after the separation of the Lower Counties on the Delaware was chosen a Representative and Speaker of their Assembly. On occasion of King William's proposing, in 1701, to levy a sum of £350 upon the Province "for the Erecting and maintaining a fort at the frontiers of the Province of New York," together with his wife's brother-in-law, Robert French, and other Representatives of the Lower Counties, he presented an energetic address to the Proprietor, naturally differing somewhat in tone from that drawn by the Quaker majority of the Assembly: "We desire your honor to represent to his Majesty the weak & naked condition of the Lower Counties, as we are the frontiers of the Province, and Daily threatened with an approaching War, not being able to furnish ourselves with arms and ammunition for our defense, having Consumed our small stocks in making Tobacco, which hath proved very advantageous for the Kingdom of England, Yet that his Majesty hath not been pleased to take notice of us in the way of Protection, having neither standing Militia nor Persons empowered to Command the People in Case of Invasion.

These things, we hope, by your honour's influence, will Incite his Majesty to take into consideration our present circumstances, & not require any Contribution from us for efforts abroad before we are able to build any for our own defence at home." In October, 1701, while a new charter of privileges for the Colony was under consideration and preparing, the disagreement, which bad occurred between the Province and Territories in 1691-3, once more exhibited itself, and Jasper Yeates became conspicuously concerned in the discussions of the points at issue. Failing to carry his measures in the Assembly, in company with the other Representatives of the Lower Counties, he withdrew from the House, and on the 14th of October appeared before "William Penn in Council, remonstrating against the proceedings of the former body, "which" (as Proud says), "they declared were, in their consequences, highly injurious and destructive to the privileges of the Lower Counties, and which, consistent with their duty to their constituents, they apprehended, they could not sit there, to see carried on; and, therefore, they informed the Governor, they thought it best for them to depart to their respective habitations." "To which the Governour gave his Several answers, concluding that he took it very unkind, to himself in particular, they would now give Occasion of a Rupture, such a Return as they would find, perhaps, he deserved better from their hands: upon which they affirmed (by Jasper Yeates) that it was not through any personal disregard to the Governour, for whom they had always a sincere respect, but they must be just to their principals whom they Represented, and, therefore, could not proceed unless they could act safely in Regard to the Privileges of their Counties."

At another meeting of the Proprietary and Members of Council, on the same day, the Assembly being sent for, both the Members for the Province and those for the Territories appeared, when the Proprietor explained to them still further his desire to maintain the unity of government (to which the gentlemen from the Lower Counties continued to object), and seems at last to have prevailed upon them to a present accommodation, with the provision in the new charter, then granted, for a conditional separation, if they chose it, within the space of three years. After Penn's departure for England the Representatives of the Territories absolutely refused to join with those of the Province in legislation, till it was finally agreed between them, in 1703, that they should compose distinct Assemblies entirely independent of each other, and in this capacity they acted from that time. In 1698, in company with five other gentlemen of note in the Colony, Mr. Yeates was empowered, by a Dedimus under the Great Seal of England, to administer the oaths to all such persons as should take upon them the Government of Pennsylvania, a duty which he discharged in the eases of Lieutenant-Governors Andrew Hamilton, John Evans, and Charles Goo kin; and in 1717 he received a similar writ from William Penn, addressed, likewise, to William Trent, Robert Assheton, and John French, authorizing them to administer the oaths of office to Lieutenant-Governor William Keith, an act which he appropriately performed.

Mr. Yeates is frequently mentioned in James Logan's letters to the Proprietor, published by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, not always complimentarily, however, in consequence of his peculiar devotion to the interests of the Lower Counties on the Delaware. In a letter to Penn, dated "Philadelphia, 2d December, 1701," the Secretary says: "All things have gone very smooth and easy since thy departure, without the least obstruction or emotion. Coming up from the Capes I called on Rodney, and such others as were viewed violent, and leading men, and left them very easy and good-natured in appearance; and when I came to town I made bold to give a small treat at Andrews's to the Governor, Richard Halliwell, Jasper Yeates, J. Moore, and some such others, about a dozen, including T. Farmer, and the other owners of the small yacht or vessel the family went down to New Castle in, on thy behalf and in thy name, which, being very well timed and managed, was, I have reason to believe, of good service. 'Tis not that I could think it my place to take such things upon me, but at that time I could not have been dissuaded from it." In another to the same, dated "Philadelphia, 14th 4th mo., 1703," Logan writes as follows: Gov. Nicholson, of Virginia, passed this way lately, to and from New York, and at his departure did all the mischief it was possible for him at New Castle, though treated very civilly by Friends here. I accompanied him to Burlington upwards, and designed [going] to New Castle with him downwards; but at Chester, at supper with Jasper Yeates, we had some high words, occasioned at first by the clergy, on which J. Growdon, who was with us, and I returned from thence in the morning: the subject was the territories. He has encouraged them, as't is reported, to build a church at New Castle, on the green, and promises to procure a confirmation of it from Queen Anne."

The most important reference to Mr. Yeates occurs in a letter from Logan to Penn, dated "Philadelphia, 5th 1st mo., 1708-9," presenting a graphic account of an endeavour on his part to established a seat of government at New Castle quite independent of that stationed at Philadelphia. "In November last," says Logan, "I took the liberty to inform thee that some of the leading members of the New Castle Assembly, chosen the first of October last, had formed a design to call thy powers of government in these three Lower Counties into question, and had proceeded in it until prevented by the other members dissenting from them, who at the time put an end to the matter by breaking up the House. ... I now beg leave to acquaint thee that they have drawn an address directed to the Lords of Trade, &e., complaining of divers grievances that they lie under by reason of thee and the Quakers. Particularly they complain that under thy administration they have no sufficient power to enact laws for the publick good, that they are left naked and defenceless in this time of war, and that they have had no Provincial Courts among them for these seven years past, &c.; and this is signed by nine members, of which James Coutts, Jasper Yeates, Richard Halliwell, and Robert French are the leaders.

The country people of this Province, pursues Logan, "having of late generally fallen upon the practice of bolting their own wheat, and selling or shipping the flour, Jasper Yeates, a man of a working brain for his own interest, found his trade at Chester to fall under a very discouraging decay. Upon this he has frequently discoursed of removing to New Castle, where he is possessed of a large tract of land close to the town, by means of that irregular grant made to Colonel Markham, of whom he purchased it. But as that town has never been considerable for trade, and, therefore, his land, notwithstanding the conveniency of its situation, not very valuable, the first thing to be labored was how to render it so, of which they could never conceive any great hopes unless some bar were thrown in between that and Philadelphia, that there might be no communication between this and the Lower Counties, whose inhabitants have always chosen rather to bring their trade quite to Philadelphia than to stop or have anything to do at New Castle.

To make this town flourish, therefore, was the business, to which nothing seemed more conducive than an entire separation of these counties from the Province. Formerly they had been strictly united; but since thy departure, Jasper Yeates, principally, with French and Halliwell, by their obstinacy, caused a separation in the business of legislation. But this separation seemed not yet sufficient. It in no way helped to ingross the trade of the place to these men who had laboured it. Nothing would do but either to get New Castle made the seat of a small government by itself; which, how inconsiderable soever, might, notwithstanding, answer the proposed end; or else to have it annexed to some other neighbouring Government besides Pennsylvania, the distance of whose capital from our river might leave New Castle almost as absolute in the administration, which must be committed to the principal men of that place, as if it were altogether independent.

How this might be compassed was next to be considered, Jasper first fell upon the measures to be taken. At the election for New Castle he was chosen with the three others, and two more for New Castle, and Robert French the same day, also, for Kent, where they elected, likewise, by Robert French's interest, several others fit for their purpose, their design not being then known; but in Sussex they gained not one member, there being none present at the election to stickle for them, as Robert French did in Kent, where his estate chiefly lies.'' There was a report, says Logan, of the prospective removal of Colonel Evans from the Governorship, "and since he had, also, purchased a small farm or tract of land near New Castle, it was expected he would be well pleased, rather than lose all, to fall in with their project, and by their assistance endeavor to obtain the poor Government of these Counties from the Crown to himself.'' The scheme fell through, however, in consequence of Governor Evans's failure to encourage them, as well as the withdrawal of their opponents from the Assembly, thus leaving that body without a quorum, as before stated; and the address referred to at the beginning of Logan's letter appears to have borne no fruit.

With regard to one of the "grievances" alleged, that "where they complain of wanting Provincial Courts for seven years," Mr. Logan says: "It is true there have been failures of that kind, yet some of these men very well know that it has been owing to themselves, and not to the Government. Commissions for that Court have always been duly issued; and generally Jasper Yeates and Richard Halliwell, especially of late years, have been two of the number that have filled them; nor did they refuse the office. But several times, 'tis true, when it has been thought these Courts could scarce possible have failed of being held, yet by some unexpected accident, occasioned entirely by the judges themselves, they have often very strangely been put off, the design in which, tho' never once suspected before, now largely appears." And the Secretary proceeds to speak of "the reiterated endeavours used by Richard Halliwell and Robert French to prevent the holding of any Courts at all at New Castle. These men have for this reason been put out of commission, and have again been recommended by the rest as fitly qualified by their experience to serve the country. He needs not information of Richard Halliwell's unworthy endeavours to prevent the holding of a Court in November last, at New Castle; or of Robert French's soliciting to be in the Commission for the Orphans' Court; and yet as often as it was appointed, still found a pretence to be absent to prevent its sitting; notwithstanding all which, among the very last names sent up for the Commission for Kent County, he has got himself recommended for a Justice there, where he has reason, since Captain Rodney's death, to hope he may be able to do the most considerable mischief, for in New Castle he can do no more."

One of the grounds of opposition of the inhabitants of the Lower Counties to the Proprietary Government, referred to by Secretary Logan, was dislike of William Penn's religion, most of the residents in the Territories being either adherents of the Establishment, or dissenters of other creeds. This was notoriously the case with Jasper Yeates. He was one of the original members, and, probably, one of the earliest Vestrymen of Christ Church in Philadelphia, his name being appended to a letter, dated January 18, 1696-7, borne by Col. Robert Quarry to Gov. Francis Nicholson, in acknowledgment of his "Excellency's extraordinary bounty and liberality in assisting to build the Church," and desiring that the condition of the parish be commended to the attention of the Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1699 he resisted the application of David Lloyd to the Lieutenant-Governor and Council for the privilege of laying out and building a town upon "a parcel of land at Chester, called the Green," on the ground that it was "Church land, and appropriated by a donation to that use forever," it having been granted, at a very early period, for the use of the Swedes' minister. And when the objection to the title was removed by a release from William Penn, he purchased the spot from Mr. Lloyd, the endorsement of the deed describing it as lying before his door.

Mr. Yeates was one of the first Vestrymen of St. Paul's Congregation at Chester, his zeal in founding which Church has already been spoken of in the account of his father-in-law. In Humphreys's "Historical Account of the Society for Propagating the Gospel in Foreign Parts," "Mr. Jasper Yeates and Mr. James Sandelands," his brother-in-law, "two worthy Gentlemen of Chester," are said "to deserve particular mention; they were the principal promoters of the building of this Church.'' In the Rev. George Keith's Journal of Travels from New Hampshire to Caratuck on the Continent of North America occurs this entry: "August 3,1703, I preached in the Church at Chester, and had a considerable Auditory: We were kindly entertained at the house of Mr. Jasper Yeates there."

The Church at New Castle, of which mention is made in one of Logan's letters to Penn just quoted, was erected in 17--, and called Immanuel, and Mr. Yeates's name appears in the earliest lists of Vestrymen of that parish extant. Towards the close of his life Mr. Yeates removed to a plantation near the town of New Castle, and here he resided until the period of his death. He left a valuable estate, both real and personal, and made his will, disposing of it, February 6,1718-19, an instrument which was admitted to probate, at New Castle, May 2, 1720. Mrs. Yeates survived her husband, by whom she had six children.

[See Minutes of the Provincial Council, and Robert Proud's History of Pennsylvania, in locis. James Logan, In a letter to William Penn, dated "Philadelphia, 3d 1st mo., 1702-3" (Penn and Logan Correspondence, vol. L p. 176), says: 4 The chief thing that disturbs the people In all the three (lower) counties is our refusing to grant lands at the old rent, which chiefly induces them to wish themselves under the crown." To the determined conduct of Messrs. Yeates and French, with their associates, at this period, is without doubt, properly attributed the present existence of the Commonwealth of Delaware, separate from Pennsylvania, as a sovereign State of the Union.]

George Yeates, son of Jasper and Catharine (Sandelands) Yeates, was born in Pennsylvania April 5,1695. He spent his boyhood at Upland, and accompanied his parents in their removal to New Castle. Here he continued to reside after his father's death on Mr. Yeates's plantation below New Castle, bequeathed to him by his father; and he afterwards acquired from his brother Jasper several hundred acres of contiguous land, on the west side of Mill Creek, reaching to New Castle, the remainder of their father's large estate in that vicinity, besides part of the "Town's Marsh," and lots at the south end of the town bought by Jasper Yeates, senior, of Gov. Markham. He was a "farmer," styled, also, in civil records "gentleman." He married Mary, younger daughter of Major John Donaldson, who emigrated from Galloway, Scotland, and settled as a merchant at New Castle, becoming a Justice of the Peace and Judge of the Provincial Court, and Representative of New Castle County in the Assembly, as well as Member of the Provincial Council. Mrs. Yeates's mother was Elizabeth, daughter of Lucas Rodenburg, Vice-Director of the island of Curacoa from about 1646 until his death in 1657, by his wife Catrina, daughter of Roelof Jansen and Anneke Jans, and, at the time of her marriage with Mr. Donaldson, widow of Ephraim Georgius Herman, eldest son of Augustine Herman, and second Lord of Bohemia Manor, uncle to Ephraim Augustine Herman, who married George Yeates's cousin-german, Isabella Trent. Mrs. Yeates was baptized in New York, July 1, 1696. She inherited by her father's will all Major Donaldson's "land, marsh, and improvements in and adjoining to the town of New Castle," which she parted with, however, not long after her marriage with Mr. Yeates. She survived her husband, letters of administration on his estate being granted to her July 23, 1747. She resided in 1758 at Christiana Bridge, White Clay Creek Hundred, New Castle Co. Mr. and Mrs. Yeates had eight children, born on their plantation near New Castle.

[The dates of birth of Mr. Yeates's children (no don't O. S.), and some information with respect to their descendants, have been most politely furnished by George Yeates Wethered, Esq., of Baltimore.]

Anne Yeates daughter of Jasper and Catharine (Sandelands) Yeates, was born in Pennsylvania, December 22, 1697. She passed her girlhood in Upland, and was yet a young maiden when her father removed his family to New Castle. Here she was married, in the nineteenth year of her age, not quite four years before the death of Mr. Yeates, August 9, 1716, to George McCall, a native of Scotland, somewhat her senior, son of Samuel McCall, a wealthy merchant of Glasgow, by a daughter of Robert Dundas, of Arniston, county Midlothian, an eminent lawyer and Judge of the Court of Session, grandfather of Henry Dundas, first Viscount Melville.

At the time of his nuptials Mr. McCall resided in Philadelphia, where he became engaged as a merchant. He was elected a member of the Common Council of our city October 3, 1722. At a meeting of the Provincial Council, held October 10,1724, he was appointed, with other "persons of Credit and Reputation, Skilled in maritime and mercantile affairs," to settle the accounts of certain shipwrecked mariners with the owners of the goods "imported" by them.

In 1727 his name appears attached to a "Petition of divers Merchants" of Philadelphia to Governor Gordon, setting forth evils likely to result to trade from the passage by the General Assembly of an Act "to prevent unfair practices in the packing of Beef and Pork for Exportation;" also, in 1730, to an agreement of the principal merchants and business men of the city to take the paper money of New Castle and the Lower Counties at par.

Mr. McCall was fortunate in his commercial enterprises, and by degrees acquired a goodly quantity of real estate in the city and county of Philadelphia, chiefly on Front and Union Streets, and in the vicinity of his store and wharf at Plum Street, including a tract of a hundred acres of land in Passyunk Township, called "Chevy Chase," with meadows by Hollander's Creek near Moyamensing; besides five hundred acres of "Lottery land" on Dry Swamp, in Bucks County, and a "plantation" of three hundred acres near Crosswick's Creek in West New Jersey.

On the 20th of June, 1735, he bought from the Honorable John Penn the Proprietary's Manor of Gilberts to which he gave the name of Douglass Manor. Mr. McCall paid two thousand guineas for it, and the tract, containing fourteen thousand and sixty acres of land, this property, at that time within tide limits of Philadelphia, now part of Montgomery, County, "comprised the whole of the present Township of Douglass, and all west of a continuation of the Douglass and New Hanover line to the Schuylkill, which, therefore, included the upper portion of Pottsgrove, and about one-third of the Borough of Pottstown. Down to 1760 all of the old Hanover Township, now known as the Township of Douglass, was commonly called McCall's Manor.'' "It contained, in 1741, 58 taxables."

Fully ten years before the date of this purchase, in company with Anthony Morris, George McCall had erected an iron forge at Glasgow, on Manatawny Creek, which was supplied with pig iron from Colebrookdale furnace, and superintended on their behalf in 1725 by Thomas Potts, Jr. Not long after his acquisition of this estate, McCall engaged Mr. Scull to survey plantations on a certain part of it, for which he permitted his five sons then living to draw lots.

Mr. McCall was a member of Christ Church, in Philadelphia, and in 1718 tenant of the parsonage-house. He was a Vestryman of the congregation from 1721 to 1724, and a liberal contributor to the rebuilding of the church edifice in 1739. He died October 13, 1740, and was buried the 15th in Christ Church Ground, at Fifth and Arch Streets.

The following obituary notice of him appeared in The Pennsylvania Gazette of the current week: "Philadelphia. Last Monday Evening died, after a long Indisposition, Mr. George McCall, a considerable Merchant of this City, who in his Dealings justly acquired the Character of an honest, sincere, disinterested, worthy Man; and with these good qualifications, better known to his Intimates and Relations, to be a warm Friend, a tender Husband, an affectionate Father, and a kind Master, whom he has left in the utmost Concern, all sensible of their irreparable Loss." Mrs. McCall survived her husband, and was buried in Christ Church Ground January 16, 1746-7. Portraits of Mr. and Mrs. McCall, painted, it is believed, by Hesselius, were in the possession of the late Hon. Peter McCall, of Philadelphia; they show much talent on the part of the artist, and, particularly in that of Mrs. McCall, display peculiar elegance of carriage and dress on the part of the subjects. Mr. and Mrs. McCall had fourteen children.

Catharine, m. John Inglis.; Jasper, m. Magdalen Kollock.; Anne, b. April 7,1720; m. Samuel McCall.; Samuel, b. October 5, 1721; m., 1st, Anne Searle; 2dly, Mary Cox. William, bapt May 1, 1723; bur. in Christ Church Ground, March 6, 1728-9.; George, b. April 16, 1724; m. Lydia Abbott; Mary, b. March 31, 1725; m. William Plumsted.; Archibald, b. June 28, 1727; rn. Judith Kemble.; Margaret, bapt August 20. 1729, aged one month; bur. in Christ Church Ground, March 14, 1730-1.; Mam abet, b. April 6, 1731; m. Joseph Swift; Eleanor, b. July 8, 1732; m. Andrew Elliot; William, b. December 12,1733; bur. in Christ Church Ground, May 15, 1736.; Jane, bapt May 28, 1737, aged 4 months; bur. ibid. January 11, 1739-40.; William, bapt February 10, 1738-9, aged 6 months; bur. ibid. February 15, 1788-9.

[For information with regard to Mr. McCall and family indebted to the late Charles A. McCall, M.D., of Philadelphia. Since this was written there has appeared a further account of the family in Some Old Families, by Hardy Bertram McCall (Birmingham, 1800), according to which George McCall was the son of William McCall, "tenant of Kello-side, a farm of considerable extent on the west bank of the Nith, opposite to Guffockland, and in the same parish of Sanquhar, county of Dumfries, Scotland."]

Mary Yeates, daughter of Jasper and Catharine (Sandelands) Yeates, was born at Upland, December 4, 1700, and accompanied her parents to New Castle. She inherited her father's "plantation near the town of Chester," bought by Mr. Yeates of David Lloyd and Caleb Pusey, as well as Mr. Yeates's "one-half of the Milns at Naaman's Creek," with his "share of the lands," and so forth, "thereunto belonging."

In 1719 she married Samuel Carpenter, son of Joshua Carpenter, an Englishman who settled in Philadelphia soon after the arrival of William Penn, and followed the occupation of brewer, rated the richest inhabitant of the town in 1693 next to his brother Samuel. Mr. Joshua Carpenter was the first Alderman nominated by Penn in the Charter of the City of Philadelphia, but declined to act "for a vow or oath he had made never to serve under" the Proprietor.

In October, 1704, he was elected to the same office, but does not seem to have accepted the honour, and took no part in the direction of municipal affairs until October, 1705, when he was chosen Common-Council-man, and from that time until his death, in July, 1722, was one of the most active members of the corporation. He was, also, a Justice of the Peace, and a Representative of Philadelphia City and County in the Assembly of Pennsylvania. Mr. Joshua Carpenter's wife, the mother of Samuel, was named Elizabeth. She bequeathed her son a token of remembrance, with the explanation that his father had "already settled a very good estate on him and his heirs forever.''

Mr. Samuel Carpenter was born August 14, 1686. With other Philadelphians he signed an Address to the Queen in 1709, "promoted," says James Logan in a letter to William Penn, "by most, if not all, the members of Council who are not Friends, not through any dissatisfaction to thee in general, but to the belief of a necessity of other measures for the security of their estates.'' He was a member of the Church of England, and a Vestryman of Christ Church from 1718 to 1721. In deeds he is styled "gentleman."

Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter lived in a fine mansion, built by Joshua Carpenter, on the north side of Chestnut Street, between Sixth and Seventh Streets, with a garden extending for the whole square to Market Street. Mr. Carpenter died in Philadelphia in February, 1735-6, being buried from Christ Church the 26th. Mrs. Carpenter survived her first husband, and married, secondly, John King, who died, however, without issue. She died in Philadelphia, October 19, 1772. Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter had eight children, born in Philadelphia.

[Prospect of the City of Philadelphia, which likewise exhibits the store of Joshua Carpenter, below Chestnut Street, facing the river. Both Joshua and Samuel Carpenter were legatees of an interest in the Pickering Mine Tract, near the present Phoenixville, Pa. Four of Samuel Carpenter's posterity, Henry and Margaret Clymer, Ella, daughter of Joseph and Hannah Chancellor Tiers, and Eugenia Hargous, daughter of James and Mary (Overton) Macfarlane, herself a descendant of Joran Kyn, intermarried with descendants of Joran Kyn. Unlike his brother Samuel, who was a prominent Quaker, Joshua Carpenter adhered to the Established Church, and was one of the earliest vestrymen of Christ Church, in Philadelphia. In 1708 he leased the so-called "Potter's Field," now Washington Square, and both he and Mrs. Elisabeth Carpenter were buried in a palisaded enclosure in the middle of that ground.]

John Yeates son of Jasper and Catharine (Sandelands) Yeates, was born at Upland, March 1, 1704-5, and in his childhood accompanied his parents in their removal to New Castle. He inherited his father's "dwelling-house" at Chester, with the "boulting," wharf, gardens, and lots near the same town, "bought of Jonas Sandelands and Edward Henneston." He became a shipping-merchant, residing in 1741 in the island of Barbadoes, and afterwards for several years in Philadelphia, where he acquired his nephew Joshua Carpenter's interest in property inherited from his brother-in-law, Samuel Carpenter, between Front and King (now Water) Streets, and King Street and the river. He also bought other land in Philadelphia County, and in 1757 lived in Wicacoa. His letters indicate connection in trade with his brother-in-law, George McCall, and other respectable men of business, both British and American. At first he was successful in his ventures, and in 1748 indited a will in terms which intimate possession of wealth.

Subsequently, however, he met with losses, both at sea and by the inadvertence of supercargoes, and found it necessary, in 1762, to apply for office to the English Government. His friends signed strong testimonials of his character and qualifications, and Chief-Justice William Allen wrote a personal appeal to the Hon. Mr. Penn for his appointment as a Comptroller of Customs in the Colony. "I beg leave to solicit your favour," says he, "in behalf of a very honest Man and old School Fellow of mine, Mr. John Yeates, who has been much reduced by misfortunes in Trade. He for a considerable time carried on business in the Mercantile way, both in Barbadoes and this his Native Country, with reputation." The office of Comptroller of Customs at Pocomoke (at the head of Vicomico River), in Maryland, was at length conferred on Mr. Yeates, his commission being dated July 24, 1764. During the following year he dwelt at Vienna, in Dorset County.

New Sweden

The climate of this region was unhealthy, and Mr. Yeates soon fell a victim to its influence. He married Elizabeth Sidbotham, who was born at Upland, October 16, 1704, and died in Philadelphia, September 16, 1753, being buried in Christ Church Ground. Mr. Yeates died at Lewes Town on Delaware, October 9, 1765. He had, at least, three children.

Sarah, b. April 2, 1781; m. John Ewlng.; Johh, b. August 17, 1743; d. unm,, at Point Peter, Grande-Terre, February 1765; Jasper, b. April 9, 1745; m. Sarah Burd.

John Yeates, son of George and Mary (Donaldson) Yeates, was born near New Castle on Delaware, July 4, 1720, and resided throughout his life in New Castle Hundred, New Castle Co. He was chosen Coroner for New Castle County in October, 1751 (a position he occupied for two years), and was one of the original Trustees of New Castle Common, appointed October 31, 1764. In civil records he is styled "gentleman." He married, first, Ann Catharine, daughter of the Reverend George Boss, a native of Scotland, who settled in New Castle in 1703, and until his death, in 1754, officiated as rector of Immanuel Church. Mrs. Yeates's mother was Joanna Williams, of Rhode Island. Mrs. Yeates was born about 1724, and died February 3, 1772, aged forty-eight years. She is buried in Immanuel Churchyard. Mr. Yeates married, secondly (Immanuel Church Register), March 15, 1790, Ann Bonner, a native of Ireland, who came to America in her youth. Mr. Yeates died in New Castle County, February 14, 1795, and was buried in Immanuel Churchyard. Letters of administration on his estate were granted to James Riddle, Mrs. Yeates renouncing her rights.

By his first wife John Yeates had five children: George, Mary, George, Ann, George.

By his second wife John Yeates had two children: Ann, b. July 26, 1791. With her brother, she inherited from her father property on Front Street, in New Castle, comprising a dwelling "known by the name of the Tile house," as well as "ground contiguous to the town," called "the Fort lot" She m. Wooster, and d. April 4, 1867. She was bur. in Immanuel Churchyard. Mr. Wooster is also dead.

John, b. April 30, 1703. He went west, and was, for many years, engaged in business on the lakes, acquiring wealth, which he unfortunately lost through fires and other casualties. He married in that region, where his wife died. Mr. Yeates afterwards returned to New Castle, and d. there, it is believed, s. p. June 80, 1849. He Is bur. in Immanuel Churchyard, in that town.

Donaldson Yeates, son of George and Mary (Donaldson) Yeates, was born near New Castle on Delaware, February 12, 1729-30. He obtained a warrant of survey for land in New Castle County in 1759, and in 1766 pursued the business of saddler near Christiana Bridge, from whence he moved the following year to Kent County, Maryland. He inherited from his brother, David Yeates, land in New Castle County (purchased by the latter from his kinsman, John Inglis, presently mentioned), known as "Green's Manor," which he parted with, however, in 1783, when he resided in Cecil County, Maryland. He was commissioned Colonel of Militia of that State, and was a Delegate to the Maryland Convention which ratified the Constitution of the United States, April 28, 1788, and a Presidential Elector from Maryland in 1793. He married Mary, thirteenth child of Philip and Elizabeth Syng, of Philadelphia, born December 25, 1751. Colonel Yeates died in Kent County, Maryland, November 16, 1796. Mrs. Yeates survived her husband, dying in December, 1809. They had four children.

Elizabeth Yeates, daughter of George and Mary (Donaldson) Yeates, was born near New Castle on Delaware, February 10, 1731-2. She married (Register of Immanuel Church, New Castle), October 22, 1761, James Lathim, a merchant of Philadelphia, dealing in rum, sugar, tea, coffee, chocolate, spices, and so forth. Mr. Lathim was then in partnership with a Mr. Read, and conducted his business at "stores a few doors above the draw-bridge, in Water Street," whither they had removed, the previous spring, from "Mr. Joseph Sims's wharf." This relation was dissolved the following May, and Mr. Lathim continued his traffic on "Penrose's wharf, near the draw-bridge." He afterwards had William Jackson for a partner, trading under the style of "Lathim and Jackson." He signed the Non-importation Resolutions of 1765.

His will was dated at Philadelphia, January 24,1766, and was admitted to probate May 14. Mrs. Lathim survived her husband and removed to Kent County, Maryland, where she resided with her brother, Donaldson Yeates. She died December 18, 1795.

Mr. and Mrs. Lathim had four children: John, b. September 3, 1762; d. unm. January 11, 1811.; George, b. November 18, 1768; d. In Infancy, before his father.; Mary, b. January 18, 1765; d. in infancy, before her father.; Elizabeth, b. March 6, 1766. She m. (Register of Immanuel Church, New Castle), December 18, 1791, George Medford, son of Marmaduke and Hannah Medford, of Kent County, Maryland, who d. in 1804. Mrs. Medford d. July 9, 1827, leaving issue.

Catharine McCall, daughter of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born, it is presumed, in Philadelphia, Pa., where she was brought up by her parents, and married October 16, 1736, John Inglis, a native of Scotland, who came to our city from the West Indian Island of Nevis, where he had followed the business of merchants. Mr. Inglis pursued the same career in Philadelphia in partnership with his wife's brother-in-law and cousin, Samuel McCall, Sr., and attained very honorable distinction in the commercial and social relations of life. He was elected a Common-Councilan of our city October 1, and qualified November 11, 1745. January 1, 1747-8, he was commissioned Captain of the First Company of the Associated Regiment of Foot of Philadelphia, of which his kinsman Samuel McCall was chosen Major, and was a fellow-private in the Association Battery Company of Philadelphia of 1756 with Mrs. Inglis's brother Archibald McCall and brother-in-law William Plnmsted.

During the absence of Collector Abraham Taylor, from 1751 to 1753, he served as Deputy-Collector of our Port. He was added March 13, 1756, to a Commission consisting of Commissary-General Robert Leake, Edward Shippen, Samuel Morris, Alexander Stedman, and his brother-in-law, Samuel McCall, Jr., appointed by Lieut. Gov. Robert Hunter Morris, at the desire of Maj. General William Shirley, "to audit, adjust, and settle the accounts'' of certain owners of horses and wagons, contracted for by Benjamin Franklin and lost in the service under General Braddock, a duty which occupied him for a month. His name, with those of his brothers-in-law, Samuel and Archibald McCall, John and Joseph Swift, Willing, Morris & Co., William Coxe, Hugh Donaldson, John Nixon, and other merchants of Philadelphia, is appended to an ineffectual remonstrance presented to Lieut. Gov. James Hamilton against an Act of Assembly, passed March 14, 1761, "for laying a duty on Negroes and Mulattoe Slaves imported into this Province," the reasons they allege being "the many inconveniencys the Inhabitants have suffered, for some time past, for want of Labourers and artificers, by numbers being enlisted for His Majesty's Service, and near a total Stop to the importation of German and other white Servants," and the "hardships'' they would "Labour under by such a Law taking immediate effect," when it was not in their power to countermand orders already issued for the importation of negroes, or advise their friends of the event. Mr. Inglis signed the Non-Importation Resolutions of 1765.

He became a Member of the St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia at its organization in 1749, and succeeded Governor Morris as President of the association. He was one of the four Directors of the First Dancing Assembly of our city, held in 1749 (the other gentlemen being Lynford Lardner, John Wallace, and John Swift), and a constant subscriber to similar balls in later years. He was one of the contributors to the completion of the building of Christ Church, in Philadelphia, in 1739. Mrs. Inglis died in this city, and was buried December 22, 1750, in Christ Church Ground. Mr. Inglis died here also, August 20, 1775, and was buried with Mrs. Inglis. The following obituary notice of him appeared in The Pennsylvania Gazette issued that week:

"On Sunday morning last, after a lingering and painful indisposition, which he supported with great equanimity, died John Inglis, Esq., of this city, in the 68th year of his age; a gentleman who early acquired, and maintained to the last, the character of a truly honest man. Possessing a liberal and independent spirit, despising everything which he thought unbecoming a gentleman, attentive to business, frugal but yet elegant in his economy, he lived superior to the world, beloved and respected as an useful citizen, an agreeable companion, a sincere friend, and an excellent father of a family." Mr. and Mrs. Inglis had eleven children, probably all born in Philadelphia.

Anne, bapt (Christ Church Register, Philadelphia) September 14, 1787, aged fire weeks. She m. (ibid.) December 81, 1761, Gilbert Barkly, a kinsman of Alexander Barclay, whose daughter Patience became the second wife of Reynold Keen. Mr. Barkly first arrived in our city about 1755, and became engaged in mercantile pursuits. He is mentioned in a letter from Lord Loudon to Governor Denny, dated "New York, April 19th, 1757, "as having proposed to Hire and fit out a Vessel,' and load her "with Wine, Liquors, and other Necessaries for the use of the Troops".

George, bapt. (ibid.) April 23, 1739, aged two weeks; bur. in Christ Church Ground, April 25, 1739; Margaret, bapt (ibid.) March 9, 1739-40, aged six days; bur. ibid. August 7, 1741.

Mary, bapt. (ibid.) April 30, 1742, aged ten weeks. She was m. by the Rev. Richard Peters, rector of Christ Church, Philadelphia, April 2, 1761, to Captain Julines Hering, a wealthy planter of the Island of Jamaica, descended, according to Burke's Commoners, "through the lines of Oxenbridge, Throckmorton, Nerll, Beauchamp, and Le Deepencer, from Edmund Plantagenet, of Langley, Duke of York, fifth son of Edward III.," King of England. They had issue.

John, b. March 20. 1742-3. He became a captain in the merchant service of Philadelphia, commanding the ship St. George, registered in our city November 9, 1773, and afterwards obtained a commission as Captain In the Royal Navy, in which he attained the rank of Rear-Admiral. He m. Barbara -, and lived at Red Hall, near Edinburgh, Scotland. He was elected an Honorary Member of the St Andrew's Society of Philadelphia.

Samuel, b. November 3, 1745. He resided in Philadelphia, following his father's pursuit of merchant He was elected a Member of the Philadelphia Troop of Light Horse in March, 1777, but took no part in its campaigns. He contributed £2000 to the National Bank established in Philadelphia in June, 1780, to supply the American Army with provisions at that juncture of the Revolution, and was chosen one of the first Directors of the Bank of North America, chartered by Congress the following year. He m. Ann Renald, of Virginia, by whom he had issue, and d. in our city September 14. 1783, being bur. in Christ Church Ground. Mrs. Inglis survived her husband, and afterwards m. Doctor James Currie. She d. by 1797.

Catharine, bapt. (Christ Church Register, Philadelphia) October 26, 1749. She lived with her cousin-german Margaret, daughter of Samuel and Anne (Searle) McCall, for fifty years, the greater part of the time at No. 91 Pine Street, between Third and Fourth Streets, Philadelphia, and d. unm. July 10, 1821.

George. He resided in Abington, Montgomery Co., Pa., and d. unm. in 1833.

Jasper McCall, son of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born, it is presumed, in Philadelphia, Pa. He became engaged in commerce, and in 1741, the year after his father's death, his name is found appended to an agreement to receive certain foreign coins at stated valuations, signed by his uncle John Yeates, his brothers-in-law, John Inglis and Samuel McCall, Senior, Joseph and Edward Shippen, Charles Willing, Richard Nixon, Clement Plumsted, William Moore, and other prominent merchants of our city. He married (Register of Christ Church, Philadelphia), October 10, 1745, Magdalen, daughter of Jacob Kollock, of Lewes, in Sussex County on Delaware, born about 1724. Mr. McCall died in Philadelphia, in August, 1747, and was buried the 26th in Christ Church Ground. Mrs. McCall survived her husband, and married, May 20, 1749, John Swift, Collector of the Port of Philadelphia from 1762 to 1771, and brother-in-law of Matthias Keen, son of John and Susannah (Steelman) Keen, already spoken of, whose brother Joseph Swift subsequently married Mr. McCall's sister Margaret. Mrs. Swift died at Mr. Swift's country-seat known as "Croydon Lodge," in Bucks County, Pa., March 27, 1790, aged sixty-seven years, and was buried in St. James's Protestant Episcopal Churchyard, Bristol. Mr. and Mrs. McCall had one child:

Anne McCall, daughter of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., April 7, 1720. She was married in our city, May 28, 1737, to her cousin-german, Samuel McCall, son of Samuel McCall, a prosperous merchant of Glasgow, Scotland, engaged in the Virginia trade, (elder brother of George McCall who married Anne Yeates,) by his first wife Isobel, daughter of William Blackburn, also a merchant of Glasgow, by his wife Margaret Murdoch. Mr. McCall was born in Scotland, October 8, 1710, and, on joining the family of his uncle George McCall in Philadelphia, entered into a commercial partnership with Mr. McCall's son-in-law, Mr. John Inglis, distinguishing himself from his brother-in-law, Samuel McCall, by adopting the style of "Senior.''

He took an active part in association for the defence of the city and Province against anticipated attacks of French and Spanish enemies of Great Britain, necessitated by the apathetic attitude of the Quaker element of our General Assembly, and in November, 1747, acted as one of the Managers of a lottery instituted for the purpose of obtaining money to construct a fortification to command the river approaches to the city, known as the "Association Battery," on the recent site of the United States Navy Yard in Southwark.

n the organization of the Associated Regiment of Foot of Philadelphia, he was commissioned, January 1, 1747-8, Major of that body. Mr. McCall was one of twenty-one Philadelphians (among whom were his brothers-in-law Samuel and Archibald McCall, and their brother-in-law William Plumsted), who pledged the subscription of £500 (the estimated tax on the Proprietary Estates) to facilitate the assent of Lieutenant-Governor Morris to an Act, passed by General Assembly, for raising £50,000 for the defence of the Province during the consternation caused by the defeat of General Braddock, a proposal, which, however, it will be remembered, was not accepted. And, when the differences between the Governor and Assembly had finally been accommodated through the liberality of the Penn family, and a bill enacted, towards the close of 1755, granting money for the purchase of arms and similar disbursements, Mr. McCall supplied the Government with fourteen 4 lb. cannon, six swivel, and some smaller ammunition, in the course of the following year.

Besides his residence in our city, Mr. McCall owned real estate in and about German town, which was sold on his decease, and became vested in Israel Pemberton. He was one of the seventy-five persons to whom the charter of the Library Company of Philadelphia was granted March 25, 1742. His interest in the social gayety of Philadelphia is indicated by his subscription to the First Dancing Assembly of 1748. He was one of the original members of the St. Andrew's Society. Mr. McCall died in Philadelphia in April, 1761, and was buried the 28th in Christ Church Ground. Mrs. McCall survived her husband, and was buried in the same cemetery, December 15, 1785. They had eleven children, born in Philadelphia.

Samuel McCall, son of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., October 5, 1721. He was distinguished from his brother-in-law, of the same name, just mentioned, as Samuel McCall, Junior. He inherited his father's store, wharf, and lot of ground on the east side of Plum Street, in our city, purchased by Mr. McCall from William Penn's cousin Ralph Assheton and Clement Plumsted, and, taking his younger brother Archibald into partnership with himself, engaged in the same mercantile pursuits, besides carrying on the business of the old forge, gristmill, and saw-mill on McCall's Manor, formerly spoken of. Like his father, he was a Common-Councilman of this city, being chosen to that office October 6, 1747. He was one of the Commissioners appointed by Governor Morris, January 31, 1756, to settle the accounts of General Braddock, a duty so well performed, says the Royal Commissary of Provisions, that the Crown was saved "several thousand pounds." He also joined an Independent Company of Foot, organized in Philadelphia the same year.

His name appears in the list of subscribers to the First Dancing Assembly of our city in 1748, in which so many of the family participated. He became a Member of the St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia in 1751. With his brothers George and Archibald McCall, and brothers-in-law John Inglis and William Plumsted, and other persons mentioned in this genealogy, with many respectable members of Christ Church, he presented a petition to the Proprietaries, August 1, 1754, praying them to grant the lot on the southwest corner of Third and Pine Streets for a church and yard for the use of members of the Church of England, and acted, with Mr. Plumsted and others, on the Committee appointed to receive subscriptions for and direct the building of St. Peter's Church, erected on that site. He married, in Philadelphia, January 29, 1742-3, Anne, daughter of John Searle, a captain in the merchant service, by his first wife Anne, born October 22, 1724. Mrs. McCall died in our city, September 7, 1757, and was buried in Christ Church Ground. Mr. McCall afterwards married in Philadelphia, January 31, 1759, Mary Cox, who survived him, without issue. He died in Philadelphia in September, 1762, and was buried the 30th in Christ Church Ground. He had eight children by his first wife, who were born in Philadelphia:

George McCall, son of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., April 16, 1724. He engaged in mercantile pursuits, and, on a voyage to Cape Breton in 1747, was the bearer of a letter from the Hon. Anthony Palmer, President of the Provincial Council, to the Commander-in-Chief at that place, applying for a loan of cannon to be employed against French and Spanish privateers, who, it was feared, might make an attack upon the Province during the summer. He was a Member of the Independent Company of Foot of Philadelphia in 1756, to which also belonged his brother-in-law Andrew Elliot, and Gilbert Barkly, who afterwards married his niece Anne Inglis.

He was a subscriber to the First Dancing Assembly of our city held in 1749, and a Member of the St. Andrew's Society, being elected in 1751. He married, in Philadelphia, January 2, 1744-5, Lydia Abbott. Mrs. McCall's name appears in a list of ladies invited to a ball of the City Assembly about 1750, including Mrs. Inglis, Mrs. Swift, Mrs. Samuel McCall, Senior, and Mrs. Samuel McCall, Junior, and Misses Molly, Peggy, and Nelly McCall, with several relatives more remote. Mr. McCall died in Philadelphia, and was buried in Christ Church Ground, July 3, 1756. Mrs. McCall survived her husband, and was buried in the same cemetery July 7, 1795. They had five children, born in Philadelphia.

Mary McCall, daughter of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., March 31, 1725. She became, September 27, 1753, the second wife of William Plumsted, eldest son of Clement Plumsted, a native of Norfolk, England, who settled in Philadelphia, by his second wife, Elizabeth Palmer, of our city, born November 7, 1708.

Mr. Plumsted inherited nearly all his father's property, embracing land in and near Amboy and Gloucester in New Jersey, and in Kent County on Delaware, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, besides a wharf and stores on the east side of Plum Street in Philadelphia. He continued Mr. Clement Plumsted's business as merchant.

He was elected a Common-Council-man of Philadelphia, October 2, 1739, and an Alderman, October 6,1747, and filled the office of Mayor from October, 1750, to October, 1751, and again for the unexpired term of Charles Willing, deceased, from December 4, 1754, to October, 1755, and finally (by re-election) from the later date to October, 1756. He was commissioned a Justice of the Peace for Philadelphia City and County, May 25, 1752, November 27, 1757, February 28, 1761, and January 17, 1765; and for Northampton County, November 27, 1757, and November 19, 1764. He represented Northampton County in the General Assembly of the Province in 1757-8, and was appointed on the Committee to audit and examine the accounts of the Commissioners that year. From June 19, 1745, until his death, he held the office of Register-General of Pennsylvania. By Acts of Assembly, passed October 31, 1761, and November 2, 1762, he was empowered to draw on David Barclay, Jr., of London, Agent of the Government of Pennsylvania, for the money allotted to the Province by Parliamentary grant for the years 1758, 1759, and 1760, and direct the appropriation of the same, in case of the death of his associate in this authority, Benjamin Chew.

He was one of the gentlemen who pledged the payment of the tax on the Proprietary estates, to facilitate the passage of an Act for raising money for the defence of the Province in August, 1755, already spoken of, and in his capacity as Mayor of Philadelphia, November 24, signed an earnest "remonstrance" to the Assembly on behalf of the city, appealing to that body to organize a militia to protect the people against attacks of the Indians. He was a Member of the Association Battery Company of Philadelphia in 1756, and a Commissary-Agent in oar city towards the close of the French and Indian War.

He was an original Member of the Library Company of Philadelphia, one of the first Contributors to the Pennsylvania Hospital, and a Trustee of the College and Academy of Philadelphia from their foundation until his death. He abandoned the principles of the Society of Friends, in which he had been educated by his father, and adopted the established religion, becoming a Vestryman and Warden of Christ Church, and signing the petition to the Proprietaries for the site on which St. Peter's was erected, being, with his brother-in-law, Samuel McCall, Jr., a Member of the Committee on building the latter edifice. He was an original Member of the noted fishing company, known as "the Colony in Schuylkill," instituted May 1, 1732, and a Subscriber to the First Dancing Assembly of our city, held in 1749. It was in one of his stores, in Water Street, above Pine, according to Watson, that the first English theatrical troupe visited Philadelphia, called Hallam 's Company," opened their theatre. He resided in a house on the east side of Second Street above Chestnut (on the site of the present Nos. 47 and 49), which afterwards became the Prince of Wales Inn.

Mr. Plumsted died in Philadelphia, August 10, 1765. The following obituary notice of him appears in The Pennsylvania Gazette of that week: '' On Sunday last died here, after a short, but severe, Illness, William Plumsted, Esq., one of the Aldermen of this City and the next Day was buried in St. Peter's Church Burying Ground, in the plainest Manner, at his own Request, according to the new Mode, lately used in Boston and New York, having no Pall over his Coffin, nor none of his Relations or Friends appearing in Mourning. We flatter ourselves, that this frugal and laudable Example of burying our Dead, so seasonably set by People of Family and Fortune, will be imitated by all, both in City and Country; the good Effects of which must soon be felt, especially by those in low Circumstances.'' Mrs. Plumsted also died in Philadelphia, and was buried with her husband, September 13, 1799. They had seven children, born in Philadelphia.

Archibald McCall, son of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., June 26, 1727 (N. S.). He engaged in mercantile pursuits in partnership with his elder brother Samuel McCall, Jr., and, after the death of the latter, acquired a very considerable fortune by trade in both the East and the West Indies. He resided the greater part of his life in a large mansion on the northeast corner of Union and Second streets, in our city, with a fine garden extending along Union Street, and is mentioned in Du Simitiere's list of eighty-four families that kept equipages in Philadelphia in 1772, as owning one "post-chaise." He was a Member of the Association Battery Company of 1756. He was elected a Common-Councilman of Philadelphia, October 2, 1764. He was one of a committee of seven persons chosen at a meeting of citizens assembled at the State House October 5,1765, to wait upon John Hughes, the Stamp Agent, to request his resignation of the obnoxious office, and signed the famous Non-Importation Resolutions.

He was a Subscriber to the First Dancing Assembly of Philadelphia in 1749, and the Mount Regale Fishing Company in 1763. He became a Member of the St. Andrew's Society in 1751. He was a Vestryman of Christ Church. He was married in 1762 to Judith, daughter of Peter Kemble, of Mount Kemble, for many years Member and President of the Provincial Council of New Jersey, by his first wife, Gertrude, daughter of Samuel Bayard, by his wife Margaret, daughter of Stephanus van Cortlandt. Mrs. McCall was born February 3, 1743 (N.S.) and died in Philadelphia, December 9, 1829. Mr. McCall died in this city April 23, 1799. They are buried in Christ Church Ground. They had eighteen children, born in Philadelphia.

Margaret McCall, daughter of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., April 6, 1731. She married in this city, February 3, 1759, Joseph Swift, son of John Swift and Mary White, his wife, younger brother of John Swift, who had married her sister-in-law, Magdalen Kollock, widow of Jasper McCall, and of Mary Swift, first wife of Matthias Keen, son of John and Susannah (Steelman) Keen, of Tacony. Mr. Swift was born June 24, 1731, and came with his father to Philadelphia about 1738. He received a good education, partly in this country and partly in England, where his uncle John White (already mentioned) passed the last years of his life, and from whom he obtained a valuable estate.

Settling permanently in Philadelphia, he engaged successfully in mercantile pursuits in partnership with his elder brother. He signed the Non-Importation Resolutions of 1765. October 6, 1767, he was elected a Member of the Common Council of our city, and under the Act of March 11, 1789, incorporating "The Mayor, Aldermen, and Citizens of Philadelphia,'' with Reynold Keen and John Nixon, elsewhere spoken of, he was chosen one of the fifteen Aldermen.

His interest in the social life of the town is attested by his subscription to the aristocratic Mount Regale Fishing Company in 1763, as well as to many of the early Dancing Assemblies. For a period of forty years he almost constantly held the position of Vestryman or Warden of Christ Church. As Deputy for Christ Church, he signed "The Act of Association of the Clergy and Congregations of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the State of Pennsylvania" in 1785; and annually represented that parish in subsequent Diocesan Conventions till 1802, at the same time always serving upon the Standing Committee of the Diocese. In 1785 he was chosen a member of the first Board of Trustees of the Academy of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Philadelphia. Mr. Swift resided for many years on the west side of Front Street between Market and Chestnut, and afterwards on the north side of Pine Street between Third and Fourth, and had a country-seat near Germantown, in Philadelphia County.

He died December 24, 1806, and was buried in Christ Church Ground. Christ Church Ground. The following obituary notice of him appears in Poulson's American Daily Advertiser of the 29th of that month: "Died, on Wednesday last, in his seventy-fourth year (sic), Joseph Swift, Esquire, a respectable Merchant of Philadelphia. It is not enough to record of this very worthy gentleman, that he maintained a blameless course through a protracted and trying life. With a constitution delicate in the extreme, he executed his many duties with an energy and steadiness only to have been expected from a stronger frame. In his private dealings, he was exemplarily just.

In the city Magistracy, which he filled for some time, he was a firm, though gentle curb to evil doers, and a supporter and protector of those who did well. In various offices of our commercial, charitable, and religious institutions, and particularly in those of the Protestant Episcopal Church, of which he was an invaluable member, he honored himself and served his constituents by faithful and judicious execution of the trusts. As the tender comfort and true friend of numerous relatives, bereaved, by the dispensations of Divine Providence, of precious and beloved connections, Mr. Swift's conduct was eminently meritorious and engaging; and from that cause many a tear bedews his memory. In the domestic scene, as a good Brother, a tender and excellent Father, and the true and best Friend of one of the most worthy and most affectionate of Wives, he merited and enjoyed the perfect esteem of all who knew him in that private walk. But his most distinguishing characteristic was an enlightened and respectful attachment to the principles and truths of Christianity. A sincere devotion to these was ever considered by our departed Friend as the only sure foundation of genuine piety in this world, and of safety and happiness in the world beyond the tomb.''

Mrs. Swift died December 19, 1804. The same journal, December 24, thus speaks of that event: "Died, on Wednesday morning last, Mrs. Margaret Swift, the wife of Joseph Swift, Esq., who for many years was a respectable merchant in this city. Her remains were decently interred on Thursday Evening in Christ's Church burial ground, attended to the grave by her numerous relatives. On these occasions the partial pens of friends too frequently delineate virtues and perfections which never belonged to the deceased; but in the present instance we can declare with the utmost truth, that the conduct of Mrs. Swift, during a long life of seventy-five years, has been highly meritorious and exemplary. With great correctness she discharged her relative duties: as a wife she was affectionate-the happiness of her husband was her chief aim in every action; as a mother she was tender and indulgent, and her children will long revere her memory; as the mistress of a family she was uniformly kind to her dependents. Piety, truth, candour, sincerity, and affability strongly marked her character, and she deservedly obtained the love and esteem of all her friends.

In an advanced age the Providence of Heaven has translated her from this earth: she was a Christian, and her hopes of future happiness rested on the merits of her Redeemer." Mr. and Mrs. Swift had fourteen children, born in Philadelphia.

Eleanor, b. January 6, 1700. She d. uum. in Philadelphia, September 19, 1787, and was bur. in Christ Church Ground; John White, b. March 12, 1761. He d. November 19, 1761, and was bur. ibid.; Anne, b. July 19,1762. She d. December 30,1764, and was bur. ibid.; Mary McCall, b. August 7, 1763. She d. unm. in Philadelphia, December 9, 1856 and was bur. ibid.; George, b. in 1764. He received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from the University of the State of Pennsylvania in 1781. He d. unm. in Philadelphia, September 19, 1794, and was bur. ibid.; Joseph, b. December 14, 1766. He engaged in mercantile pursuits in Philadelphia, and resided for some time on a farm in Little Britain Township, Lancaster County. Pa., purchased for him and bequeathed to him by his father. He married and left Issue.; John White, b. March 5, 1767. He engaged in mercantile pursuits In Philadelphia, residing for the greater part of his life in his father's house on Pine Street He d. unm. May 15, 1852, and was bur. In Christ Church Ground.; Margaret, b. March 20, 1768. She d. unm. in Philadelphia. May 9, 1822, and was bur. ibid.; Martha, b. October 30,1769. She d. unm. In Philadelphia, July 9, 1793, and was bur. ibid.; Samuel, b. January 12, 1771. He received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from the University of the State of Pennsylvania in 1786, and studied law with his cousin Judge Jasper Yeates, but was not admitted to the bar, passing his life at his country-seat in Philadelphia County. "Educated a Federalist, he nevertheless espoused the Democratic policy, which he occasionally advocated in articles greatly esteemed at the time for their vigour, candour, research, and polish. He possessed much natural poetical talent which he cultivated and exercised, up to his decease, for the amusement and gratification of his family, though he never cared to seek a wider circle." He was a Vestryman of Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church. Oxford, Philadelphia Go. He m February 11, 1795, Mary, daughter of Colonel Joseph Shippen, Secretary to the Provincial Council of Pennsylvania, and Judge of the Court of Common Pleas for Lancaster County, by his wife Jane, daughter of John and Jane Galloway, of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, b. in Philadelphia, May 17, 1778. Mrs. Swift d. June 2, 1809. Mr. Swift d. at German town, Philadelphia Co., November 28, 1847. They are bur. in one tomb in Trinity Churchyard, Oxford. They left Issue.

Eleanor McCall, daughter of George and Anne (Yeates) McCall, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., July 8, 1732. She married in this city, October 31, 1754, Andrew Elliot, third son of Sir Gilbert Elliot, Second Baronet, Lord Justice Clerk of Scotland, bearing the title of Lord Minto, by his wife Helen, daughter of Sir Robert Stuart, Baronet, of Allanbank, and uncle to Gilbert Elliot, First Earl of Minto. Mr. Elliot was a native of Scotland, and accompanied John Swift, before mentioned (brother of Joseph Swift and Mary Keen, and second husband of Magdalen Kollock, wife of Jasper McCall), from London to Philadelphia, where he became engaged in mercantile pursuits.

On a visit of his to England, he is thus referred to in a letter from Mr. Swift to Grosvenor Bedford, October 25, 1749: "If you frequent the Pennsylvania Coffee House [in London], you will probably meet with a tall, thin Scots gentleman, with a pimply face. He answers to the name of Elliot, and is an intimate friend of mine, one for whom I have a particular regard, on account of several valuable qualities I have discovered in him, we having lived together in the same house for nearly two years' And another from the same gentleman to Osgood Gee, Esq., of Beckenham, Kent, commends him as "a very sensible, modest, deserving young fellow, and an agreeable companion." He was a Subscriber to the first Philadelphia Dancing Assembly in 1749, and a Manager of that of 1754. He was elected an Honorary Member of the St. Andrew's Society in 1749, and was an Active Member from 1750 to 1764, and Vice-President of the association in 1754 and 1759. He was chosen a Common-Council-man of Philadelphia, October 7, 1755, and with his brother-in-law George McCall, and Gilbert Barkly, who afterwards married Mrs. Elliot's niece, Anne Inglis, joined Captain Kidd's Independent Company of Foot in 1756. In 1762 he was elected a Trustee of the College of Philadelphia, but retired the same year. He continued to reside in our city until his appointment, January 19, 1764, as Collector of Customs at New York, when he removed thither, taking up his abode in a house in Bowery Lane, and acquiring a country-seat, which he called "Minto," on the Hudson. He was also commissioned Receiver-General of Quit Rents for the Province of New York. Mrs. Elliot died in Philadelphia, and was buried in Christ Church Ground May 20, 1756. Mr. Elliot afterwards married Elizabeth, daughter of William Plumsted by his first wife Rebecca Kearney, and step-daughter of Mr. Elliot's sister-in-law Mary (McCall) Plumsted. He died in Scotland in May, 1797. In a letter to his nephew Sir Gilbert Elliot to Lady Elliot, written from London, Monday, May 29, the event is spoken of in these terms: "I received tins morning your two letters of Wednesday, the last of which brought me the account of Mr. Elliot's death. I do most sincerely pity the Admiral; no man ever sustained a more serious loss, nor one that must be felt by him as more irretrievable." By his first wife Mr. Elliot had one child.

Joshua Carpenter, son of Samuel and Mary (Yeates) Carpenter, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., February 2, 1720-1. On the death of his father and remarriage of his mother, he put himself under the guardianship of Joseph Richards and John Inglis, who had recently married his cousin-german Catharine McCall. At the division of his father's estate, in 1746, he received, with other property, Mr. Samuel Carpenter's mansion on the north side of Chestnut Street, between Sixth and Seventh Streets, which, since 1738, had been rented to, and occupied by, the Honorable George Thomas, Lieutenant-Governor of Pennsylvania. This was afterwards sold by Mr. Carpenter. Land was purchased by him in the counties of New Castle, Kent, and Sussex on Delaware. Mr. Carpenter married, in Philadelphia, December 10, 1743, Armgott, daughter of John Johnson, of Philadelphia County, by his wife Christina, daughter of John and Armgott Skute, of Nitapkung, on the Schuylkill River, and granddaughter of Captain Sven Skute, of Sweden, a prominent officer and colonist of New Sweden. In his will Mr. Carpenter describes himself as "gentleman.'' He died in August, 1764. Mrs. Carpenter survived him many years. They had at least three children.

Elizabeth Carpenter, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Yeates) Carpenter, was born on Carpenter's Island, November 15, 1725. She married, 1st, June 9, 1743, John Wright, son of John and Elizabeth Wright, born at Chatham, County of Kent, England, December 22, 1711, described as "Doctor John Wright of Philadelphia, Practitioner in Surgery and Physick." They removed to Wilmington, Delaware. Doctor Wright died at Christiana Bridge, Delaware, November 15, 1751, and Mrs. Wright m., 2dly, in 1752, James Sykes, of the County of Newcastle on Delaware. Mrs. Sykes died in Kent County on Delaware, August 3, 1756. Doctor and Mrs. Wright had two children: John, b. in Philadelphia, July 13, 1746; d. February, 1747. Mary, b. at Wilmington, Delaware, July 16, 1749.

Jasper Carpenter, son of Samuel and Mary (Yeates) Carpenter, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1735. In 1766 he leased the Potter's Field in this city, held formerly by his grandfather Joshua Carpenter, for a period of seven years, renewing the agreement in 1773. He married, August 11, 1759, Mary Clifton, and had issue: Mary.; Elizabeth, b. August 27, 1768. She m., January 17, 1790, Abram Cook, b. at Brantford, Conn., June 1, 1754, being his second wife. He d. December 3,1848. She d. September 2, 1850, and was buried in Monument Cemetery, Philadelphia. They had issue.

Sarah Yeates, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Sidbotham) Yeates, was born April 2, 1731. She married (Register of Christ Church, Philadelphia), February 20, 1749-50, John Ewing, born August 27, 1727. Mr. Ewing died November 11, 1754, and was buried in Christ Church Ground. Mrs. Ewing afterwards removed to Lancaster, Pa., where she died October 3, 1823. The following obituary notice of her appeared in the Lancaster Express: "Died at Lancaster, on Thursday last, Sarah Ewing, sister of the late Judge Yeates, and mother-in-law of the late General Edward Hand, aged 92 years and 6 months." Mr. and Mrs. Ewing had three children.

Catharine, b. In Philadelphia, Pa., March 25, 1751. She was m. in Lancaster, Pa., March 13, 1775, to Edward Hand, M.D., a native of Clydnff, Kings County, Province of Leinster, Ireland, son of John and Dorothy Hand, b. December 81, 1744, who had come to America in 1767 as surgeon's mate of the 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment, sailing from the cove of Cork, May 20, and arriving at Philadelphia July 11. April 1, 1777, he was promoted to be Brigadier-General. Soon afterwards General Hand was sent to Western Pennsylvania to call the militia together; General Hand afterwards joined Washington, and encamped at Morristown, N. J., during the winter. On the formation of the light infantry corps of the army, in August, 1780, he was given the command of one of the two brigades of which that body was composed. He was one of the fourteen generals who constituted the tribunal that tried and convicted Major Andre. January 8, 1781, he was appointed Adjutant-General of the Army of the United States. He was present at the siege of Yorktown, and returned with the troops to Philadelphia. September 30, 1783, he was commissioned Major-General of the Pennsylvania Line. Upon the close of the war he resumed the practice of medicine in Lancaster. He was a Delegate from Pennsylvania to the Continental Congress in 1784 and 1786, a Member of the Assembly of Pennsylvania in 1785, and an Elector for the same State "for choosing a President and Vice-President of the United States" in 1789. He was a Member of the Convention which framed the Constitution of Pennsylvania in 1790. He was appointed by President Washington, March 21, 1791, Inspector of the Revenue for Survey No. 3 in the District of Pennsylvania, and retained the office till the end of his life. In 1794 he was put in command of a division of the militia of Pennsylvania, organized for the defence of the frontiers. In 1798, when Washington accepted the command of the army raised in anticipation of a war with France, Hand was recommended by him for appointment as Adjutant-General. General Hand was an original Member of the Society of the Cincinnati, being one of the committee which revised the proposals for establishing that body, adopted at a subsequent meeting of the Society. He was elected President of the State Society of Pennsylvania in 1799. He was a Member of the Society of the Friendly Sons of St Patrick. In politics General Hand was a Federalist. "As a citizen he was highly esteemed, and as a physician greatly sought after and beloved." "He was known as a lover of fine horses and an excellent horseman." He d. at his farm of Rockford, Lancaster Co., Pa., September 3, 1802.

Jasper, b. July 15, 1753. He studied law (probably with his uncle, Jasper Yeates), and became an attorney, but, on the breaking out of the American Revolution, entered on a military career, at first as Second Lieutenant, and afterwards, in August, 1776, as Adjutant of his brother-in-law Colonel Hand's Regiment, retaining the latter position until April, 1777. When Hand was promoted Brigadier-General, and appointed to the command of the Western Department, Ewing went with him to Fort Pitt as Brigade-Major. In a letter addressed by Major Ewing to Jasper Yeates, dated "Fort Pitt, June 3d, 1777," the writer says: "On Saturday last we arrived here not a little fatigued with the Journey. But, notwithstanding the Badness of the roads and still worse accommodations, I think myself amply Compensated for all my Fatigues by being stationed at this delightful Place." Ewing remained with General Hand, in the same capacity, until the recall of the latter in 1778. In 1789, Ewing resided in Northumberland County, Pa., and July 29, of that year, he was elected to succeed Lawrence Keene, deceased, as Prothonotary of the Court of Common Pleas, Clerk of the Court of General Quarter Sessions of the Peace and Jail Delivery, and Clerk of the Orphans' Court for that county. The same day he was appointed a Justice of the Court of Common Pleas for the same county. He d., it is believed, unm. at Sunbury, Pa" September 25, 1800. In his will, recorded at Sunbury, he bequeathed his "fees" to his mother and nephews, John and Jesse (Jasper) Hand, and to the latter his "two guns;" his "library of books" and "fishing tackle" to his "four nieces, the daughters of General Edward Hand;" his "gold watch" to his niece, Sarah Hand; other personal effects to General and Mrs. Hand; and his "old walking cane" to his "friend Charles Hall," whom, with John Boyd, he nominated his executor.

John, b. June 22, 1755. He resided in Lancaster, Pa., where he followed the trade of jeweler. He paid a visit to his brother, Jasper Ewing, and his brother-in-law, Colonel Hand, on Long Island, and witnessed "everything that occurred from the time the enemy landed on the Island until a day or two before we retreated from thence" a brief account of which events were given by him in a letter written to his uncle, Jasper Yeates, from Lancaster, September 14,1770, accompanied by an original "Draught of the Engagement." March 17, 1798, he wrote a letter to his brother-in-law, General Hand, then Inspector of the Revenue, from "Donegall," complaining of his treatment by a "distiller in Donegal] Township at the Conewaga Creek," whose stills he attempted to measure, from which it appears that he was engaged in such service for the Government Mr. Ewing m. Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Margaret Keen, said to have been born in Wilmington, Delaware (not identified as a descendant of Joran Kyn). He d. at Lancaster, February 14, 1799. Mrs. Ewing survived her husband, and afterwards m. Jonathan Hill born, of Limerick Township, Montgomery Co., Pa. She d. October 4,1811. Mr. and Mrs. Ewing left issue.)

Justice Jasper Yates Children:

Mary, b. March 13, 1770. She was m. at Lancaster, March 3, 1791, to Charles Smith, son of the Rev. William Smith, D.D., Provost of the College of Philadelphia, by his wife Rebecca, daughter of William Moore, of "Moore Hall," Chester Co., Pa. Mr. Smith was b. in Philadelphia, March 4, 1765. "His early education was under the care of his father, in Philadelphia, and subsequently at Washington College, Maryland, where he graduated at the commencement held on the 14th day of May, 1788, delivering the valedictory oration on that occasion." He studied law with his eldest brother, William Moore Smith, at Easton, Northampton Co., Pa., and was admitted to the bar In Philadelphia in June, 1786. He pursued the practice of his profession for several years at Sunbury, Northumberland Co., Pa. He was a delegate to the Convention which formed the Constitution of Pennsylvania in 1790, a Member of the House of Representatives of the State in 1806, 1807, and 1808, and State Senator in 1816. In 1805 he was elected a Member of the American Philosophical Society. He supplied copious and valuable notes to a new edition of the Laws of Pennsylvania, published, by authority of the Legislature, at Philadelphia, in 1810-12. In 1819 he received the honorary degree of LL.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. March 27, of the same year, he was appointed President Judge for the Ninth Judicial District of Pennsylvania, composed of the counties of Cumberland, Franklin, and Adams; and April 28, 1820, he was commissioned President Judge of the District Court of the City and County of Lancaster, which office he held for several years, living at a residence built by him near that town, named "Hardwicke." He afterwards removed, with his family, to Baltimore, MD, and finally returned to Philadelphia. Here he d., at his home, No. 12 Clinton Square, March 18, 1886, and was bur. In Epiphany (Protestant Episcopal) Churchyard. Mrs. Smith d. at Belmont, August 27, of the same year. They left issue.

John, b. June 29, 1772. He received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from the College of Philadelphia in 1792. He m. Eliza, daughter of Daniel Buckley, an ironmaster of Lancaster County, Pa., and a Member of the House of Representatives of the State between 1794 and 1800, by his wife Sarah Brooke. Mr. Yeates d. s. p. at Lancaster, January 7,1844, and is bur. in St James's (Protestant Episcopal) Churchyard, in that city. Mrs. Yeates d. in Philadelphia County In December, 1849.

Elizabeth, b. April 4, 1778. She was m. at Lancaster, May 2, 1806, to Redmond Conyngham, son of David Hayfield Conyngham, and grandson of Redmond Conyngham, Esquire, of Letterkenny, Ire land, who emigrated to Philadelphia, and became a partner in the mercantile house of J. M. Nesbitt & Co., afterwards Conyngham, Neebitt, & Co. Mr. Conyngham's mother was Mary daughter of William and Mary West. Mr. Conyngham was b. at Philadelphia, September 19, 1781. He is said to have been educated at Princeton College, but his name does not appear among the published list of graduates. Inheriting from his paternal grandfather an estate of two thousand pounds per annum in Ireland, he spent several years of his early manhood in that country, where he became acquainted with Curran and Grattan, and other noted Irishmen of the period. He returned to Pennsylvania and resided for some years in Luzerne County, which he represented in the Legislature In 1815. He represented the counties of Luzerne, Northumberland, Union, Columbia, and Susquehanna in the Senate of Pennsylvania in 1820. The same year he "laid out the village named by him Dundaff," in Susquehanna County, "in honour of Lord Dundaff, of Scotland." Subsequently he removed to Lancaster. He was a member of the American Philosophical Society and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. He d. at Paradise, Pa., June 16, 1846. Mrs. Conyngham d. at Lancaster, August 3, 1867. They are bur. in All Saints (Protestant Episcopal) Churchyard, at Paradise, Lancaster Co., Pa. They left issue.

[Jasper George Yates Extract from the following work [2015 by Ronald E, Yates]:The Descendants of Joran Kyn of New Sweden; By Gregory B. Keen; 1913]

This page was last modified: Monday, 03-Dec-2018 15:05:17 MST