THREE QUARTERS of a CENTURY of PROGRESS
A Brief Pictorial and Commercial History
of Sioux City, Iowa
(click on all images for larger size)
Wholesale and Retail Glass and Paint
Hansen Glass & Paint Co. is one of the oldest and largest
exclusive glass and paint companies in the northwest. They do
a larger amount of paint and glass business exclusively than any
other jobbing house in this section of the county. The company
was organized in 1901, by F. Hansen and E. C. Currier.
The present officers are E. C. Courrier, president; L.
L. W ernli, secretary and treasurer, and E. R. Long, vice
president and sales manager. The territory covered extends south
to the Missouri valley, east to Fort Dodge, and over the entire
state of South Dakota to the north and west. In many instances
their territory is at the very door of competing cities. The company
is as well known in the Black Hills as it is in Sioux City, so
extensively do they cover South Dakota. In addition to the 41
employees at the large wholesale house on Douglas street, seven
men travel constantly reaching the retail trade in hundreds of
small towns in this territory.
The size of the business of the Hansen Glass & Paint Co.
is due to a large extent to the large, line of nationally known
products. They are distributors in this territory for Lowe Bros.
full line of paints and varnishes and MartinSenour & Co.'s
100% pure paints and varnishes. Other well known lines are Boston
Varnish Co., Kyanize stains and enamels, Cabot's shingle stains
and National Lead Co. white lead. These brands are known to practically
every user and dealer of paints in the country. It is only such
standard lines that this company handles.
In addition to the paints and varnishes, the company handles
a complete line of jobbing specialties used in connection with
the paint and varnish industry. They carry a complete stock of
plate glass, window glass, all kinds of rough glass including
fireproof wire glass, Easy-set store front construction. The manufacturing
or mirrors and bevel glass is done in their own plant which supplies
the needs of their jobbing and retail business. This company plays
an important part in the building industry of the city, supplying
glass and paints from large stock for the builders and contractors.
One Hundred Thirteen
Construction Materials and Building Specialties
1920 M. J. Henoch and Otto F. Bridge organized this
business, specializing in furnishing steel products for fireproof
construciton work. They handle structural steel, reinforcing bars,
fire windows and doors, ornamental iron and bronze and building
specialties, such as water softeners, garbage incinerators, wall
beds, metal lock-waiters, metal weather strips and others. They
are located at 609 Pearl Street.
Motor Regrinding and Rebuilding
The Carlson Machine Works, now the largest and best
equipped motor regrinding concern in Sioux City and the territory,
was founded in June, 1920, by W. A. Carlson. The business
grew rapidly and within two years it was necessary to build a
modern building to house the increasing business. The result is
a modern fireproof brick and concrete building on Wall street,
between Fourth and Fifth, occupied by this concern.
The company gives the greatest services to garages, repair shops,
car and truck distributors and truck fleet owners. Their business
is in the nature of a wholesale repair business. Cylinder grinding,
score filling, regrinding cylinders, crank shaft grinding
and regrinding of all parts of cars, trucks, tractors and other
motors that are regrindable is the work of the Carlson Machine
Among the late important equipment installed is a modern burnishing
and running-in machine, used in rebuilding automobile motors,
guaranteeing the motor to be as good as new. Modern electric driven
machinery and skilled mechanics make possible speedy work and
efficient service. Mr. Carlson, himself a skilled machinist, is
in active charge of the shop and with the men he has trained in
the work, has built up a large business among regular customers
in the trade. When a job is brought in to any garage in the city
and is too big for that shop the answer is usually, "Take
it to Carlson's."
One Hundred Fourteen
Manufacturers of Bank and Office Equipment
The National Wood Works is one of the largest manufacturers
of bank, office and store fixtures in Sioux City. The company
was organized in 1907, by such men as H. Akerberg, John A.
Magoun, R. J. Andrews, E. Wahlstrom, P. N. Schulein, J. E. Boostrom,
and George H. Bliven. With these men behind an institution,
it rapidly gained the confidence of the public and built up a
large business not only in Sioux City, but in Iowa, Nebraska,
South Dakota and Minnesota. Annually from $150,000 to $250,000
worth of high class wood work is turned out here at their modern
The plant turns out everything in the woodwork line. They specialize
in complete bank equipment such as counters, cases, partitions
and desks. Complete offices are made here nearly every day, including
specially built cases, shelves, chairs, tables and counters. They
install after building all this equipment as well as window fronts
and other similar work. They take the blue prints of an office,
bank or store and manufacture every piece of equipment to fit
a space, utilizing every square foot of floor space. Some of the
larger banks, offices and numerous stores in the city owe the
internal arrangemeent [arrangement] to the National Wood Works
and their corps of skilled craftsmen. About 55 of these craftsmen
are employed here at present.
The business is not confined to the manufacture of furniture
and equipment. General mill work such as the making of quarter
rounds, dowlings, mouldings, veneers and other stock mill work
is made here. Sash and doors, built-in furniture and garden furniture
are other important lines. In the modern homes being built now
there is often nearly a half of the furniture that is a part of
the house. Buffets, kitchen cabinets, China closets, ironing boards,
mantles, and pantry cupboards are a few of the pieces of equipment
that are being built in as a part of the house. This class of
furniture uses every available part of the home to good advantage.
The National Wood Works is owned and operated by Sioux City people
who live here and are always doing what they can towards promoting
a bigger and greater Sioux City. They employ and give steady work
to a high class of labor. Labor troubles are unknown to the institution.
One Hundred Fifteen
firm of Soiset Bros. was organized in 1910 and started business
at Third and Jackson streets with six employes. In October, 1915,
they moved to a large well equipped factory which they still occupy
at 512-16 Iowa street. They now employ 22 men. It was necessary
to build an addition to this plant in 1920, giving 5,000 square
feet more, space.
The main line of business is fixture work, cabinets and general
mill work. They also do pattern work. One line that has brought
them into nationwide prominence is the building of library hospital
service carts. These are shipped to all parts of the country and
this is the first mill to make them.
The gigantic growth of this concern from its humble beginning,
is founded, according to its president, Mr. A. L. Galinsky,
on the daily practice and discipline of the principle, "A
square deal in every transaction." That the name of Galinsky
Brothers shall stand for quality, service and only a fair, legitimate
profit. The train loads of fresh fruits and vegetables that this
concern receives monthly make it possible for the people in Sioux
City and its territory to have domestic and tropical fruit and
vegetables every day in the year at prices within reach of the
average wage earner.
"Everything for Schools"
Organized in 1909, at Pierre, S. D., the Capital Supply Company's
business was in the beginning devoted to furnishing office blanks,
educational pamphlets, diplomas, report and reward cards and other
printed supplies to educational institutions in the territory
covered, together with a general line of office and school supplies.
An educational journal which they published for many years put
them in direct touch with the schools. As the school business
increased they began
to look for a more suitable location where wide distribution could
be had. Sioux City offered this opportunity and a warehouse was
established here in 1917. This warehouse soon outgrew its parent
office in Pierre and the principal place of business was moved
to Sioux City. The story of the growth of this concern is one
of continuous progress. From the small printing business to one
of the largest school supply houses in the west is the story.
The final Plymouth Block, Fourth and Court Sts. moving of the
Company to Sioux City was in 1920. As the manager of the company
says, "It was a pleasant move for us." In addition to
books, blackboards, desks and supplies which we at once associate
with schools, the company handles school furniture, heating and
ventilating systems for schools, chemical toilets and, as the
slogan, says, "Everything for Schools." The officers
of the company are Edward M. Ward, president; John R.
Talsma, vice president; John W. Beamer, secretary and
manager, and Edna M. Ward, treasurer and assistant manager.
One Hundred Sixteen
BROS. & CO.
Manufacturers of Soap
With 65 years of soapmaking experience behind it, the Haskins
Bros. Co. is one of Sioux City's most successful factories. In
1887, two brothers, L. A. and L. J. Haskins, moved their
soap making equipment from Prairie du Chien, Wis., and hung out
a sign reading "Haskins Bros. Co., Soapmakers." Thus
started Sioux City's first important factory, that has since operated
for 36 years without a shutdown or labor trouble of any kind.
It has passed through the panics one after the other and never
showed signs of weakening. The interest of the Haskins Bros. was
purchased in 1907 by Wm. Newton, J. A. Newton and J.
P. Newton, but the name remained the same.
Factories have since been established by this company at Omaha
and St. Paul, but Sioux City remains the home. Over 65 men are
now employed, covering every corner of the United States except
the New England states. It requires 65 salesmen to cover the territory.
Over 150 men are employed in the plants, some of whom have been
with them since it was started. The first output by this factory
was at Galena, Ill., in 1858, hence 65 years of experience backs
the present company in its soap making activities.
The principal products of this plant are Petrolene soap and flakes
and Electric Spark soap, for laundry purposes. The toilet soaps
include Trilby and Peek-a-Boo Hard Water soap. The chief ingredient
of all these soaps is cocoanut oil received in tank cars from
the Pacific coast. The company own their own tank cars which are
filled direct from the tank steamers coming in from the south
Pacific. The local plant alone turns out over fifteen million
bars of soap a year. Few industries turn out so many single articles
with so wide a distribution.
The present plant is on the site of the original small soap factory,
which has been replaced by a modern plant consisting of brick
buildings containing 100,000 square feel of floor space. The old
hand methods have been replaced by high speed electrical driven
machines which handle the soap from the time it goes into the
vats as raw material until it is packed into boxes for the trade.
Perhaps the best known and most frequently imitated of the soaps
from this plant is "Trilby," (the Soap with the Yellow
Band). Over 18 imitations of this soap are or have been on the
One Hundred Seventeen
Building Contractors and Engineers
This organization, Riesche & Sanborn, was formed in 1916,
with R. H. Riesche in charge. They do a general construction
and engineering business as well as making appraisals and estimates
of fire losess and other valuation work. They specialize in the
building of large commercial buildings, schools, churches, hospitals,
apartment houses and industrial plants. Some of the buildings
erected by this company are the Y. W. C. A., St. Monica's Home,
Sacred Heart Hospital (LeMars), Metz Apartments, North Junior
High School, Shoberg, Woodbury Company building, Baptist Church,
Orpheum Theater, Midland Packing plant, Standard Oil Co. filling
stations and others.
The outstanding manufacturing plant of tents. and awnings in
the state is that of the Sioux City Tent and Awning Company. The
original business was established by E. J. Wallen in 1892,
and has grown constantly since. Associated with Mr. Wallen in
the business are four sons, one of whom operates a factory located
at Aberdeen, South Dakota, and known as the Aberdeen Tent and
Awning Company. Everything in the way of tents, awnings, covers
and camping equipment is made in the factories of this company.
In addition to the large line of manufactured products, they job
and retail touring, camping and hunting supplies of all kinds.
Faith in Sioux City led the Fairmont Creamery Company, owners
of a long string of creameries, poultry packing plants, cheese
factories and cold storage houses, to place their largest plant
in Sioux City in 1921. The company, with over 33 plants, was established
as a small creamery by J. H. Rushton, in Fairmont, Nebraska,
in 1884. The business is the most extensive of its kind in the
its own factories, storage houses, sales outlets and in some cases
its own raw material. The Sioux City plant, costing over a million
dollars and modern in every sense of the word, manufactures butter
and ice cream and packs poultry and eggs. The company owns the
cows that are fed with special feeds to produce the kind of milk
necessary for mother culture for butter making. The poultry feeding
and dressing department is in operation the year around with the
rest of the plant. Thus the farmers are given a year around market
for their produce.
When first opened the plant employed 34 people. It now employs
over 300. The Sioux City territory covers South Dakota, northern
Nebraska, northern Iowa, Minnesota and North Dakota, with concentrating
points at Aberdeen, Huron, Mitchell and Rapid City, S. D. Cream
is purchased direct from the farmers through hundreds of stations
in these states.
One Hundred Eighteen
Mardos Memorial Library
Copyright © 2000 - 2003 D. J. Coover
All Rights Reserved Webmaster: D. J. Coover - Email