HISTORY OF IOWA.
The settlement of Dunlap began in the summer of 1867, the prior settlement, which was virtually its beginning, however, being the town of Olmstead, to which reference has been made hitherto. The Olmstead settlement was known as the Yankee settlement, as its founders and populationif the latter word is not to comprehensive for so small a townwere from New England.
Of this Olmstead settlement it may be said that Henry Olmstead, H.B. Lyman, Edward Brace, and Calvin Nay, came together in the autumn of 1855 from Connecticut; J.L. Roberts came in November of the same year. The same autumn witnessed the arrival of James Welch, who settled on what is known as the Sam. Ettinger farm, about thirteen miles south of Dunlap. During the same autumn E.P. Brown built a log house about one-half mile west of Galland's Grove, in Harrison Township. A man named Riley, a native of Connecticut, came the same autumn in search of health.
About the last of November, 1855, Olmstead, Riley, and Roberts assembled on the townsite of Olmstead, and voted a township organization. Olmstead was Chairman of the meeting, Riley was the Clerk, and Roberts sustained the important role of "voter." Both Riley and Olmstead are now dead. Riley died in Connecticut; Olmstead was killed by a runaway team. The latter was the first County Supervisor for Harrison township, L. Kellogg, the next, and was succeeded by Roberts, whose term of office included the year during which the settlement of Dunlap was begun.
Like the "paper towns" in Iowa and elsewhere, Olmstead was not doomed to anything but a transitory existence. The establishement of the line of the C. & N.W. Railroad elsewhere than had been expected terminated the existence of a number of towns, and Olmstead was among the number.
Dunlap is located on section 3, township 81, range 41, and was platted by the Cedar Rapids Land Company in 1867. The town was incorporated in the spring of 1871. Its first officers were: L. G. Tubbs, Mayor; Frank Griffin, Recorder; S.M. Williams, W.C. Chapman, B.F. Carpenter, W.P. Webster, J.R. Wheeler, Trustees; Samuel Baird, Marshal; S.J. Patterson, Treasurer; William Magden, Solicitor; William Sears, Street Commissioner; H.W. Cotton, Assessor.
The following are the present town officers: F.W. Olmstead, Mayor; D.T. Stubbs, Recorder; O.P. Simmons, G.W. Chamberlin, John Noonan, Charles Gager, G.P. Moorhead, E.R. Cadwell, Council; E.K. Burch, Solicitor; J.B. Patterson, Treasurer; W. Van Slyke, Marshal. Board of Education: S.J. Patterson, President; R.R. Balard, Secretary; J.A. Nay, M. Barrett, M. Roberts, H.W. Gleason, W.C. Chapman, J. Van Scoy.
Dunlap Bank, a prosperous and substantial institution, was organized in 1871, the firm at first being Clark, Kellogg & Thompson, and afterwards Kellogg, Morehead & Thompson. The present firm are Kellogg, Morehead, Satterlee & Patterson. L. Kellogg is president, S.L. Amsden, Cashier, David Stubbs, Assistant Cashier. The bankk bulding, a handsome brick structure, was erected in 1879.
The town was named by the Railroad Company in honor of one of its officials. Its population, according to the census of 1880, is 1,418; its present population is fully 1,500.
AMong the leading industries may be mentioned I. Scholfield's flouring mill, which was erected in the summer of 1871. This mill is about five-eighths of a mile west of Dunlap, is 32x66 feet in dimensions, and three stories high, has four run of stones, and a capacity of sixty barrels per day. This mill has all the machinery for making the patent flour; but is mainly employed in doing custom work, a very large amount of which comes to it. Mr. Scholfield also owns a grain elevator at Denison.
His mill office and residence are connected by telephone. Mr. S. has a farm of three hundred acres connected with the mill, and is extensively engaged in hog raising. He is also the owner and editor of the Dunlap Reporter. This paper was started in 1871 by Geo. R. Brainerd, who was succeeded by G.W. Thompson. Mr. Thompson ran the paper about two years, part of the time in connection with James Ainsworth. Thompson sold to L.F. Cook, who ran it until May, 1880, when Mr. Scholfield purchased a half-interest. In May, 1881, Mr. Scholfield purchased Cook's interest and assumed entire control. He has changed the paper from an eight-column folio to a five column quarto, and greatly enlarged its scope, paying very particular attention to the wants of the farming community, as well as to those of the home circle and the fireside. In this undertaking he is meeting with success. L. Ballou is the local editor.
There are three brickyards, of which James Van Scoy, Aaron Van Scoy, and Joseph Wood are proprietors. These yards furnish brick of the first quality at very low prices.
The business of the town in general may be classified as follows: Hotels, 3; general merchandise, 4; groceries, 5; hardware and farm implements, 3; bakery, 1; drug and book stores, 3; livery stables, 2; clothing, 1; furniture, 2; jewelers, 2; wagon and blacksmith shops, 2; blacksmith, 2; harness, 2; boot and shoe store, 1; meat markets, 2; confectioners, 3; barber shops, 2; grain elevators, 2; lumber yards, 2; agricultural implements and machinery, 1; art gallery, 1; cigar factory, 1; billiard rooms, 2; attorneys, 5; physicians, 6.
The Railway Eating House and Hotel, leased and conducted by Chapman & Castle, is liberally patronized by the traveling public. The building is large and roomy, and the accommodations excellent in every respect.
The postoffice of Dunlap was established in 1867, a Mr. Willard being the first postmaster. He was succeeded by B.F. Carpenter, and he in turn by Dr. D. Satterlee. The office was made a money order office July 17th, 1872. Dr. Satterlee is the proprietor (in connection with his office) of a well conducted and arranged book and drug establishment.
All in all Dunlap is not only a thriving town, but, to the unprejudiced observer, a town destined to grow steadily in importance. It has, moreover, a substantial and beautiful appearance, situated as it is, on a "bench" overlooking the rich and fertile Boyer Valley, and equipped, as it is, with many handsome and substantial buildings.
CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES
The Baptist Church SocietyOrganized in August, 1872, by Rev. E.G.O. Groat. F.W. Foster was the pastor in April, 1880, and was succeeded by Rev. A.G. Delano, the present pastor, in December, 1881. The church building was erected in 1878, and cost $1,800. The membership is twenty-five. Wm. H. Garrett is the Sabbath School Superintendent. Present officers: G.W. Chamberlin, J.N. Chapman, Deacons; J.M. Baber, Clerk; J.N. Chapman, W.H. Garrett, Col. Brown, Trustees.
The Catholic Society of DunlapFirst held services in 1871, under the charge of Rev. Father McMahon, of council Bluffs. The building of the church was begun in 1872, and completed in 1878. The edifice is of brick and abut 46 feet by 70 feet in dimensions. There is also a brick parsonage attached, which latter was finished in 1881. Rev. Father Lynch is the present pastor, and took charge of the society in 1876. There are between 200 and 300 communicants. The parish includes Missouri Valley, Magnolia, Logan and Woodbine. The church was dedicated in 1880, and is called St. Patrick's Church.
Congregational SocietyRev. H.S. Mills is the present pastor of this flourishing society. AMong the first members who participated in the organization are L. Kellogg and wife, Theodore Kellogg and wife, H.B. Lyman and wife, and J.L. Roberts and wife. A church building was erected in 1876, in which services are at present held. Previous to that time services were held for a number of years in an old building, on what is known as "Gospel Hill." The present church edifice was erected at an expense of $4,000, and is among the finest in the city. There is a parsonage near the church building. The present membership is over 100. M.P. Bruce is Superintendent of the Sabbath School, which has an attendance of 100 pupils.
M.E. Church SocietyRev. Fletcher Brown is the present pastor. The society was organized in 1869, and has now a membership of about 100. The church edifice was erected at an
expense of $5,000. Z.T. Dunham is President of the Board of Trustees, and M.S. Bowman, Secretary and Treasurer. R.N. Blair is Superintendent of the Sabbath School, which is in a flourishing condition, and has an attendance of 115 pupils.
Dunlap Lodge, Iowa Legon [Legion?] of Honor, No. 117Meetings are held on the first and third Wednesday evenings of each month. This Lodge was instituted in August, 1881, with fifteen charter members. Its first officers were Charles Reiher, President pro tem; Dr. A. H. Hazlette, V.P.; L.S. Sherman, T.S.; Dr. S.H. Patterson, Treasurer; L. Ballon, Secretary. The present officers are: T.B. Beach, President; T.E. Millers, V.P.; the remaining officers same as above. The present membership is about twenty-five, and meetings are held in Odd Fellows Hall.
Hospitable Lodge No. 244, A.F. and A.M.Instituted under dispensation in August, 1868. Charter members and first officers; Dr. D. Satterlee, W.M.; Daniel Smith, S.W.; A.N. Warren, J.W.E.W. Davis, Charles M. Robins, Thomas Rue and C.H.Wing. Present officers: Dr. D. Satterlee, W.M.; J.A. May S.W.; O. Colburn, J.W.; A.D. Jones, Treasurer; W.J. Williams, Secretary; A.M. Warren S.D.; I. Colborn, J.D. The present membership is about fifty. Meetings are held in Masonic Hall, Tuesday evenings on or before the full moon of each month.
Golden Rule No. 178, I.O.O.F.Instituted Sept. 4th, 1869. Charter members: G.W. Thompson, W.W. Granville, P.Soules, E.W. Holbrook, and Fred Kemp. First officers: G.W. Thompson, N.G.; P. Soules, V.G.; H.W. Colton, Secretary; W.W. Granville, Treasurer. Present officers: J.H. Read, N.G.; P.W. Tyler, V.G.; W.T. Howard, R.S.; S.R. Lindsey, P.S.; Z.W. Pease, Treasurer. Membership is eight-five. Meetings are held in Odd Fellows Hall in Commercial block Thursday evenings of each week.
The Band of HopeOrganized in 1877. Present officers: Mrs. L.A. Nay, President; L.G. Tyler, Secretary; Miss Edith Pike, Treasurer; Miss Eva Waitley, Assistant Secretary. This organization is an anti-tobacco, profanity and liquor association, and has a membership of abut seventy-five. Meetings are held the first Tuesday evenings of each month. Entertainments are give weeks, and consist of music, speaking, etc. Every third Sunday in each month regular exercises are held. They are non-sectarion in their character, and are held Fridays in the Congregational Church alternating on Sunday between the M.E. and Baptist Churches. This Society is in a flourishing condition.
The Ladies' Christian Temperance Union is also one of the effective means for the promotion of its object in Dunlap.
The Young People's Library AssociationThis society was organized in 1879 and began with five or six members. It has now about seventy members. The present officers are: Frank Miers, President; Mrs. H.M. Mills, V.P.; Charles Strong, Secretary;
Chas. Waitley, Librarian. The prayer room of the Congregational church is used for library purposes. There are already about 200 well selected volumes in the library. The membership fee is fifty cents, with ten cents due per month thereafter. No one can become a member of this organization but those between the ages of 16 and 30 years.
Guiding Star Encampment No. 68, I.O.O.F.Instituted Feb'y 26th, 1874. Charter members: C.H. Tyler, G.W. Chamberlain, H.W. Colton, L.G. tubbs, Hugh Ballard, Wm. Spendlove, A.K. Grow, R. B. Hillas, Z.W. Pease, G.W. Thompson. First officers: G.W. Thompson, C.P.; C.H. Tyler, H.P.; G.W. Chamberlain, S.W.; A.K. Grow, J.W.; Wm. Spendlove, S.; Z.W. Pease,Treasurer. Present officers: W.T. Hall, C.P.; WM. Spendlove, H.P.; Samuel Ballard, Sec.; L.R. Lindsey, J.W.; J. Reed, S.; Z.H. Pease, Treasurer. Membership, about fifty. Meetings are held in Odd Fellow' Hall on the second and fourth Mondays of each month.
Knights of PythiasAn order of this society is being organized with encouraging prospects for success.
A.O.H. Division No. 1, was organized in September 1880. Charter members: J.T. Noonan, M.J. Duggan, E. Lehan, Will. H. Page, W. Cavanagh, Peter Wall, James Malone, JOhn Doherty, Richard Doherty. First officers: M.J> Duggan, County Delegate; J.T. Noonan, President; John Doherty, V.P.; W. Cavanagh, R.S.; W.H. Page, F.S.; Peter Wall, S. at A.; Thomas Noonan, Marshal. Present officers: S.T. Noonan, County Delgate; John Doherty, President; Jno. Brady, V.P.; W. Cavanagh, R.S.; Richard Doherty, F.S.; Michael Duggan, S. at A.; Thos. Noonan, Marshal. Membership, thirty-two. Meetings are held in Lahman's Hall on the first Sunday of each month.
Dunlap Cornet Band Organized in 1879, and has 10 members. A.S. Read is President, Henry Holden Secretary, H.W. Gleason Treasurer and Leader. The organization is a highly creditable one.
The Fire Department of the city was organized in the winter of 1879 and 1880, and has a chemical engine. There are about thirty active members, composing a most effective organization. J.A. Phillips is Chief, and B.W. Philbrook, Foreman.
SchoolsThe first school taught was in 1857, by Louisa Cole, in an old building at the Olmstead settlement. There were but three pupils in attendance during the first term. The first school taught in the new Dunlap settlement was in 1868, in a building now occupied by J.L. Roberts as a residence. Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Ostrom were the teachers. Mrs. Ostram is still living, and is yet a resident of Dunlap. Harris McKenney, of Harris' Grove, was the next teacher, and he, in turn, was again succeed by Mr. Ostrom, who conducted the school, which was a private one, for several years. The first public school was taught by Mr. McKenney in
1868. The first school huse was erected in 1870. It is a two story frame, and cost between $2,000 and $3,000. The present structure, an elegant and commodious brick building, was erected in 1880, at a cost $13,000. It has six departments, presided over by the following corps of teachers: I.A. Sabin, Principal; J.G. Thompson, Higher Intermediate; Miss Jennie Barrett, Intermediate; Mrs. Sarah Kebler, Lower Intermediate; Miss R.M. Childs, First Primary; Miss Stella Bang, Second Primary.
This town, which has as handsome a location as any of the Missouri River bottom, or, in fact, in the State, is situated on the south side of the Little Sioux River, about one mile east of River Sioux and the Sioux City & Pacific Railway. The town dates back to the year 1855, when forty acres of the present site were laid off by S.W. Condit and T.B. Neeley. A short time afterward, Messrs. Condit and Martin laid off forty acres more. Another forty-acre tract was again platted in the year of 1857. The parties making the last addition were Joseph Jenks and Jasper Bonnly. d.M. Gamet, merchant of Little Sioux, now the oldest settler on the town siterecorded the first plat. Mr. Gamet was at that time Treasurer and Recorder at Magnolia, then the county seat; but he shortly afterwards moved to Little Sioux, where he has since remained. Mr. Gamet established the first general merchandise store in Little Sioux in 1857. He was also engaged in the hotel business, his hotel being headquarters for the stages belonging to the line between Sioux City and Council Bluffs. Although Mr. Gamet is at present the oldest settler on the town site proper, and settled in Western Iowa in 1846, there were others who made Little Sioux their place of residence prior to his advent. Among these latter may be mentioned Messrs. S.W. Condit, T.B. Neeley, and Gabriel Cotton, the first and the last of whom are deceased, and J.L. Perkins, whose reputation is international in connection with the propagation of potatoes. Mr. Perkins, who was born a pioneer, came here in the year 1853. He resides at present but a few yards beyond the town limits. Moses German, now living outside the town limits, came in 1854. The S.W. Condit, before mentioned, came in 1849. Jasper Bonnly came here in 1856, and still farms near the town. Avery Barber, now of Nebraska, also came here about the same time. There are also other old settlers residing in the neighborhood who came but a short time subsequently. At the time Messrs. Condit, Neeley and Cotton settled within the limits of what is now Little Sioux Township, Harrison County, though named, was not organized.
Though Little Sioux has been established for a long time, it made no marked growth till within the past half-dozen years, and most of the buildings are of recent erection. Notwithstanding
this fact, it would be difficult to find a handsomer or more enterprising town of the same size in any portion of Iowa. This in spite of the fact that through a misapprehension in regard t matters, the Sioux City & Pacific Railway left the town a mile distant from its track, and makes it dependent upon the station of River Sioux for its transportation facilities. Nevertheless, the citizens of Little Sioux are hopeful of a direct east and west line's running through the town at no far distant day. In case this hope should be realized, the 400 population of Little Sioux will be doubled within a very short time thereafter. The citizens are enterprising in the abstract, and though they missed one chance in securing a railroad, they have in everything else been up to the times. One mark of this trait of character is the erection of a large iron bridge across the Little Sioux River at this point. This bridge was built ten or twelve years ago at an expenditure of about three thousand five hundred dollars. The bridge is 200 feet in length and consists of three spans.
The various business lines of Little Sioux, classified, are as follows: Three general merchandise stores, two grocery stores, jewelry and miscellaneous store, grocery and stationery store, shoemaker shop, drug and grocery store, drug store, barber shop, hotel, two restaurants, liver stable, boot and shoe store, two furniture stores, meat market, blacksmith shop, blacksmith and wagon shop, grain and stock dealer, lumber and hardware dealer, agricultural implements, warehouse, saw and grist mill and milliner shop.
The professional men are two clergymen, one lawyer, and three physicians. The postoffice, which was established in the early history of the place, is presided over by T.J. Lanyon. It is like that of River Sioux, not a money-order office. In addition to the branches of business already given, several insurance companies are represented by local agents.
The exact shipments of grain and other produce from this point, cannot well be definitely ascertained, but they are quite considerable, and are constantly increasing.
The stocks of goods carried by the merchants of Little Sioux are quite large, and in several cases would be creditable to a town of 1,500 inhabitants.
CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES
Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day SaintsThis sect, monagamous Mormoms, is in point of numbers, better represented than any other church in Little Sioux, and many of the leading business men of the place are connected therewith. This congregation represents a section of that portion of the Mormon Church which separated from the original Mormom Society under the leadership of Brigham Young. Joseph Smith, Jr. son of the founder of the Mormom Churches, is at the head of the reorganized branch, which numbers some 15,000 adherents. The headquarters
of this branch are at Lamoni, Decatur county. The society has had an existence in Little Sioux for twenty years, and the congregation at present numbers about 140. The society has a church which was erected in 1876, at a cost of several thousand dollars. The size of the structure is 24x50 feet. The presiding Elder for this branch is D.M. Gamet, who holds services every Sabbath.
Roman Catholic Church SocietyThe Catholics of the neighborhood have hitherto been without either a church building or church society, and have been compelled to go elsewhere to enjoy the benefits of their form of worship. Although still lacking a society, the Catholics of the neighborhood have just finished a church building 26x40 feet in dimensions, and a society is is in process of formation. The only Catholic service, as far as is known, ever held in Little Sioux proper, was on the Sunday preceding the opening of the church, January 29, 1882. This service was held in the house of M. Murray, and conducted by Rev. Father Michael Lynch, who will preside over the new church in addition to the previous charges of Dunlap, Missouri Valley, and Magnolia. The congregation of the new church consists of about twenty families, or 100 people, and services will be held once in four weeks.
Methodist Episcopal Church SocietyThe first sermon preached in Harrison County under the auspices of this society, perhaps of any society, was in June, 1852, at Harris' Grove, by Rev. William Simpson; but the first sermon preached in the immediate vicinity of Little Sioux, was in 1865, by Rev. J.M. Rusk, who, when the county was divided into two circuits in 1857, assumed charge of the Western Circuit, and continued as its pastor for two years. The first class formed in Little Sioux was in March, 1864, from which time the society began its growth. The first regular preacher, who officiated at Little Sioux, was Rev. J.W. Adair. The Little Sioux Circuit was detached from the Magnolia Circuit in 1876, and as it now stands it consists of Little Sioux, Soldier Valley, River Sioux and Mondamin. The present pastor, who resides in Little Sioux, is Rev. H.J. Smith. The Little Sioux Society owns a building about thirty feet in dimensions. There are twenty-four members, and a good attendance of non-members. Services are held once in two weeks.
Universalist Church SocietyThis society was organized in the latter part of 1870, by Rev. E. Vedder, of Dunlap. Mr. Vedder held the position of pastor but a short time, when he was forced to resign on account of ill-health. He was succeded [succeeded] by Rev. James Hoyt, of Belle Plaine, who continues to hold services once in four weeks. The society has no church buildings, and its meetings are held in the public hall. A movement has been inauguarated, however, for the erection of a church edifice. The membership is from thirty to thirty-five.
Union Sabbath SchoolAlthough there is no denominational Sabbath School in Little Sioux, there was organized some time ago
a Union Sabbath School with an attendance of thirty-five. R.C. West is the present Superintendent.
Little Sioux Lodge A.F. & A.M.This body was organized in 1878 with the following officers: H.M. Huff, W.M.; P.B. Terry, S.W.; A. Gleason, J.W.; B.F. Croasdale, S.; S.J. Smith, Tr.; G.F. Straight, S.D.; E.A. Baldwin, J.D.; N.F. Hillard, T. The present officers are: N.F. Hillard, W.M.; F.C. Scofield, S.W.; C. Ellis, J.W.; B.F. Croasdale, S.; S.J. Smith, Tr.; W.L. Woodward, S.D.; Isaac Hunt, J.D.; T.J. Lanyon, T.
Public SchoolThe public school of Little Sioux is a graded one, and comprises three departments, grammar, intermediate and primary. The Principal, Thomas Macfarlane, has charge of the first named department; the Intermediate is under the care of Miss Alice Smith, and Mrs. C. Donaldson is teacher of the Lower department. The school district is the Independent District of Little Sioux. It was organized from Township District No. 1, July 31st, 1879. The first school officers for the district were Michael Murray, President; L.S.G. Sillsbee, Secretary; A.M. Ellis, Treasurer. The present officers are: Michael Murray, President; I.W. Bassett, Secretary; C.E. Cobb, Treasurer. There are 175 pupils in the district. The school house is a two-story structure, 30x65 feet, with four rooms, though but three of the rooms are in use. Another teacher, however, is to be engaged the coming year.
Little Sioux Home Literary SocietyThis society is devoted to intellectual and social improvement. It has been in existence but a short time, and as yet is not very firmly established. The society meets every other Friday, in the public hall.
Missouri Valley, as do others of Harrison County's more important towns, dates its beginning from the first appearance of the iron horse. The town is located at the junction of the Boyer Valley on the south, extending some two miles, and of the Missouri bottoms on the west, some seven miles wide, to the Missouri river, thus giving a large and extended plain on the south, which, for beauty and fertility, is unsurpassed by any part of Iowa. The town was located by the Chicago & Northwestern R.R. Co. January 16th, 1868, an elections was held to determine whether Missouri Valley should, or should not be incorporated. This important question was this time decided in the negative by an adverse vote of 21. Missouri Valley is the junction of the Chicago & Northwestern, Sioux City & Pacific, and the Nebraska Division of the Sioux City & Pacific Railroads. The slhops and general offices of the latter company are located here, and the officers of the company, who have their offices in this city are as follows:
J.S. Wattlers, Superintendent; C.F. McCoy, Assistant Superintendent; J.E. Ainsworth, Chief Engineer; K.C. Morehouse, General Freight Agent; J.R. Buchanan, General Passenger Agent; P.E. Robinson, Assistant Passenger Agent; P.C. Hills, Traffic Auditor; A.T. Potter, Train Master; B.F. Hageman, Train Dispatcher; T.B. Seeley, Train Dispatcher; Chas. Foster, Master Mechanic; Wm. Wells, Jr., General Agent; F.M. Marsh, Road Master; P.W. Brown, Store Keeper.
There are also located here the general repair shops, locomotive, car, paint and boiler shops of this road. The repair shops were started in 1868, and now give employment to about one hundred men. The general office building was erected in 1878 and affords room for all the above named offices. It is two stories high and is 32 ft. by 68 ft. in dimensions. The Sioux City & Pacific and Chicago & Northwestern companies, have, in connection with each other a freight house 24 ft. by 60 ft. in dimension.
There is also an eating house, owned jointly by the two companies, which is leased and operated by John F. Cheney & Co., of Sioux City. All the offices of the S.C. & P. are connected by telephone and speaking tubes and furnished with elevators.
The town takes its name from the fact that it is the point of intersection of the Boyer and Missouri river valleys, the valleys of which at this point expand into a broad plain, several miles in width, and which comprises one of the finest agricultural districts in Western Iowa. It is one of the most important towns in Harrison county, and is provided with direct communication with Omaha and Council Bluffs on the west, Sioux City on the north, St. Louis and Kansas City on the south, and with the east by the great railways terminating on the Missouri River. The general character of the country surrounding this enterprising and progressive town is undulating or rolling, but not to so great a degree as to impair its utility for agricultural purposes. The soil is rich and fertile and produces an abundance of cereals. The raising of live stock is a very important feature of this township's industries.
Missouri Valley claims a population of 2,000, but it is also said that the census of 1880 was inadequately taken, and that the population given by that census 1,407, was much below the mark. The town is located at the base of the bluffs that skirt the valley of the Missouri River, from the summits of which a grand landscape is presented to the view. The dark bluffs dwarfed by distance that form the margin of the Nebraska shore can be seen for miles up and down, and compose a scene worthy of the contemplation of an artist's eye, and, with the added picture of the prosperous town in the distance, forms a spectacle, which, not only pleases the senses, but delights the practical eye.
Missouri Valley was finally incorporated in 1869, and is located upon Section 15, Township 78, Range 44. The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad was built to the present site of the town in the
autumn of 1867, and the building of the town was commenced almost immediately afterwards, the town-site being platted by the railroad company during the winter of 1867-8. Among the first settlers may be mentioned Henry Warner, and Smith & Cogswell, who opened a business establishment during that winter, W.C. Ellis, who came during the spring of 1868 and started a general merchandise store.
The old town of St. Johns, two miles south of Missouri Valley on the other side of the Boyer river, was abandoned in consequence of the location of the latter place, and nearly all the residents of St. John removed to the new town that winter and the following spring, among them, John B. Lahman, who established a harness shop, Harris & McGavren, who established a hardware store and Ellis & Bro. who engaged in general merchandising. The American House, now the well known Commercial Hotel, was built in the spring and summer of 1868. The old town of St. Johns dates its settlement from the year 1857, when the town was laid out and platted by Geo. H. Cotton. The company which planned the town was composed of Dr. McMahon, J.C. Purple, C. Vorhees, Dr. Robt. McGavren, G.H. McGavren, John Deal and E.W. Bennett. There were several good business establishments, hotels, etc., and the town of St. Johns was prosperous up to the establishment of Missouri Valley. Dr. G.H. McGavren moved from St. Johns to the Valley in the summer of 1869. By that time St. Johns was nearly deserted, and Missouri Valley, its successor, was just entering upon a vigorous and substantial growth. Shortly after Dr. McGavren's removal to the new town, he opened a drug store.
Several newspaper experiments have been essayed in the Valley from time to time, with variable success, and ultimate failure, save in the case of the Missouri Valley Times, formely [formerly] the Harrisonian,
and founded by Judge D.M. Harris, who, with his son, Robert H., continues to publish this prosperous and excellent paper.
The business houses of Missouri Valley, briefly classified, are as follows:
Physicians, 3; newspaper office, 1; drugh stores, 2; bakery, 1; harness and saddlery store, 2; boots and shoes, 2; tailors, 2; groceries, 5; hardware, 2; saloons, 5; cigar stores, 1; gun store, 1; general merchandise, 6; hotels, 3; barber shops, 2; livery barns, 3; billiard parlors, 1; furniture, 1; bank, 1; wagon factory, 1; carpenter shops, 3; grain offices, 2; attorneys, 3.
CHURCHES, SCHOOLS AND SOCIETIES
Missouri Valley has five church societies and three church edifices. An additional church edifice will be erected during the coming spring. These, with her excellent schools and other societies calculated to advance her interests, combine to make a community affording exceptional religious, intellectual and social advantages.
The Methodist Episcopal Church building was erected in 1869. The membership is large and increasing, and the society in a condition of encouraging prosperity. These remarks apply equally to the other church organizations of the Valley. Rev, W.w. Carhart is the pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Society. The Presbyterian Society erected their building in 1868. Rev. O.C. Weller is the pastor. Rev. Father Lynch is pastor of the Catholic Society, whose place of worship was erected in 1869. At the date of present writing, the Baptist Society is not supplied by a regular pastor. This society, however, has suitable grounds already purchased, upon which an appropriate edifice will be erected during the approaching spring. Rev. Mr. Hoyt is in charge of the Universalist Society, whose services are held in the Town Hall. C.W. Harris is Superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school; W.H. Campbell, Superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday School.
A short distance up the bluffs, overlooking the town, stands the Public School building, an imposing brick structure, in the modern style of architecture, provided with all the improvements which the later spirit of educational progress can suggest, and affording unusual advantages. This costly structure is, indeed, a great credit to the community, and is, in itself, a sufficient commentary upon the enlightened liberality of Missouri Valley's enterprising citizens. The corner stone was laid, with appropriate public ceremonies, on the 17th day of August, 1871. Nearly four hundred pupils are enrolled. There are six departments, the following being the efficient corps of teachers: E.N. Coleman, Principal; Miss L.A. Ferguson, Asistant; W.R. Kirkham, Grammar School; Miss Annie Legan, Intermediate; Miss Hattie N. Legan, First Primary; Miss Estella Mattox, Second Primary. The members [of] the Board of Education are: F.M. Marsh, A. Edgecomb, W.W. Hume, W.H. Ramsver, Joseph Harker. D. M. Harris is President of the Board, F.M. Dance, Secretary, and M. Holbrook, Treasurer.
Valley Lodge No. 232, A.F. & A.M.Instituted in 1868. First officers: Robert McGavren, W.M.; W.C. Ellis, S.W.; P. D. Mickel, J.W. The Lodge has about ninety members. Meetings were first held in the second story of Fatchman's restaurant, and after several changes, the Lodge permanently located in the second story of Bump & Smith's brick building, corner of Fifth and Erie streets, in a handsomely furnished hall, which is also used as a place of meeting by the other lodges of the town. Valley Lodge is in a prosperous and flourishing condition, a statement which may as appropriately be made with reference to the other lodges of Missouri Valley. The following are the present officers: F.M. Dance, W.M; C.J. Carlisle, S.W.; G.H. Careleton, J.W.; Thomas Weston, S.D.; George Barnes, J.D.; C. S. Hoar, Secretary; J.H. Crowder, Treasurer.
Valley Chapter No. 26, O.E.S.Instituted July 8th, 1878. Charter members: Mary E. Boies, M.M. Harris, Annie Dvis, Ella Dvis, Carrie Todd, Jennie Manchester, Mary M. Chapman, Belle Ransom J.J. Legan, Louisa Miller, Laura A. Mann, Annie Schultz, Martha Pelan, Effie Mickel, Mollie Mathews, Viola Palmer, Annie Janes, Hattie N. Legan, Lizzie Butler. First officers: E.J. Chapman, W.P.; Mary E. Boies, W.M.; C.C. Lahman, A.M. Present officers: Mrs. C.C. Lahman, W.M.; D.M. Harris, W.P.; Mrs. Carrie Todd, Treasurer; Mrs. D. Burgess, Secretary; Mrs. J. W. Axtell, W.A.M. The membership is forty-six.
Triune Chaper No. 81, R.A.M.This Chapter was organized under dispensation granted March 27th, 1876; its charter was granted October 4th, 1876. The petitioners for the charter were: William Pelan, H.P.; Robert McGavren, K.; E.J. Chapman, S.; C.W. Turton, Secretary; Theodore Mann, C.H.; T.W. Merritt, P.S.; J.T. Sharp, R.A.C.
Missouri Valley Lodge No. 170 I.O.O.F.Instituted October 21st, 1869. First officers: D.M. Harris, N.G.; William Compton, V.G.; T.E. Dubois, Secretary; James Laughery, Treasurer. Present officers: G.W. Burbank, N.G.; A. Edgecomb, V.G.; G.T. Hopkins, Secretary; D.M. Harris, P.S.; James Laughery, Treasurer. The membership is fifty-two.
Lilian Lodge No. 20, Daughters of RebekahInstituted October 20th, 1875. Charter members: Robert McGavren, J.K. McGavren, F.M. Dance, William Compton, John S. Gross, James Laughery, James Ferrill, Reuben Palmer, D.M. Harris, G.W. McGavren, A.M. Cross, E.A. Boies, E.R. McGavren, Mary E. Boies, Martha Compton, Mary S. Goss, Rhoda Ferrill, Lizzie Laughery, Martha M. Harris, Ellen Cross. Present officers: G.W. Burbank, N.G.; Mary E. Boies, V.G.; G.T. Hopkins, Secretary; Mrs. William Compton, Treasurer.
Anchor Lodge No. 66, K. of P.Instituted December 19th, 1881, by A.E. Menuez, D.D.G.C. Charter members: D.J. Adlum, M.I. Bailery, F. Carlisle, W.M. Carlisle, T.O. Carlisle, E.N. Coleman, E.C. Connors, W.W. Cook, N.S. Dahl, F. Dodson, W.H. Fensler, O.B. Fredericks, W.M. Harmon, G.F. Hopkins, F. Johnson, A.S.B. King, C.W. McGavren, Neil McLeod, J.E. Marsh, T.P. Oden, W.R. O'Neal, W.H. Ramsyer, W.H. Ransom, L. Shauble, H.N. Warren. Firt and present officers: C.W. McGavren, P.C.; L. Shauble, C.C.; A.S.B. King, V.C.; G.T. Hopkins, P.; J.E. Marsh, K. of R.&S.; E.N. Coleman, M. of F.; M. of E.; H.N. Warren, M. at A.; N.S. Dahl, I.G.; T.B. Oden, OG. W.R. O'Neal, T.O. Carlisle and W.M. Harmon are Trustees.
Missouri Valley Lodge, No. 175, I.O.G.T.Instituted in 1869. This Lodge has had a somewhat varied existence, having been re-organized at several different times. There are at present about fifty members. Meetings are held in the Town Hall. The
present officers are: Mrs. Annie Schultz, W.C.T.; Miss Jennie Gump, R.H.S.; Miss Emma E. Harris, L.H.S.; Miss Estella Mattox, W.V.T.; Chas. B. Wilson, R.S.; C.S. Hoar, F.S.; Miss L.A. Ferguson, W.T.; Miss Donna Goltry, W.C.; Harry Stoesifer, W.M.; Miss Tennie Harris, W.D.M.; John Kane, W.I.GL; Wid Lucas, W.O.G.; Miss Kittie E. Clark, Organist.
Women's Christian Temperance UnionOrganized in 1880. Present officers: Mrs. S.C. Hileman, President; Mrs. E.J. Ferguson, Mrs. H.C. Warner, Mrs. S.L. Berkley, Mrs. S.A. Rogers, Mrs. D. Fenner, Vice-Presidents; Mrs. G.E. Wilson, Treasurer; Mrs. E.A. Livingston, Secretary.
Public LibraryThe Missouri Valley Public Library Association was organized in September, 1881, and has established already a library of about one thousand volumes, which number is constantly increasing. The library is located on the corner of Erie and Sixth streets. Mrs. Anna Schultz is the President; Mrs. C.H. Foster, Treasurer; D.M. Harris and M. Holbrook, Finance Committee.
Building and Loan AssociationThe Missouri Valley Building and Loan Association was organized in October, 1880. About $5,000 of capital was loaned the first year. D.M. Harris, is President; G.H. Carleton, Vice-President; W.H. Bradley, Secretary; M. Holbrook, Treasurer.
Harrison County Agricultural SocietyOrganized in 1858, and held their twenty-third annual fair at Missouri Valley, October 4th, 5th, and 6th, 1881. The present officers of the Society are: Phineas Cadwell, President; H.B. Cox, Vice-President; J.K. McGavren, Secretary; F.M. Dance, Treasurer. The fair grounds are located about one-half mile west of town, and contain forty acres finely set out in growing trees. There is a good one-mile track and substantial buildings have been erected; the grounds are fenced in, and advantageously situated, with reference to stock and other shipments, immediately on the line of the railroads, and also upon the bank of Willow Creek, thus insuring a good water supply. Six thousand people are estimated to have visited the fair of 1881 in a single day.
Visit our family of homepages and join
Copyright © 2000 - 2001 D. J.
All Rights Reserved
Webmaster: D. J. Coover - email@example.com