38th Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry
38TH IOWA VOLUNTEER INFANTRY
IOWA'S MARTYRED REGIMENT
I received a email from David Wildman, stating that he would like to offer some information to my 38th Iowa web site. He stated
that he had collected this information over the last five or six years, and would like to share his research. He plans to write a book, in the future, using this information and dedicating it to his
great-great grandfather, Charles Whitman Sawyer, whose civil war history he has been attempting to find.
I am honored that he has chosen my site to share this information with you. And I hope, as David does, that it will help someone in their
This information includes:
- Correspondence and other documents
- Governor of Iowa Samuel J. Kirkwood.
- Adjutant General N. B. Baker.
- Dr. Levi Fuller
- Professor William Brush, 2nd President of Upper Iowa University.
- Soldiers letters published in newspapers.
- Portions of a diary from Private Joseph Fuson, Co. F.
- *The diary was transcribed by Arnelia K. Turner, assistant Professor, American Thought and Language, Michigan State University,
East Lansing, Michigan, in April, 1977.
- **The original diary is the property of Virginia Judy Sower of Okemos, Michigan, great-granddaughter of Joseph Benjamin
Fuson. Attempted contact with Mrs. Sower met with no success.
- Colonel who was fired.
- The 38th Iowa has the distinction of having it's original colonel fired for incompetence before the regiment was mustered in
- Descriptions of the first battle from a soldier's letter.
- Descriptions of occupation and garrison duty at New Madrid, MO.
- Descriptions of patrol
- Daily Activities
- Sources include:
- Documents from Iowa Historical Libraries
- Old Iowa newspapers (fortunately preserved on microfilm)
- Lurton Dunham Ingersoll's Iowa and the Rebellion, J. B. Lippincott & Co., 1866.
- The Official Record
If you have any questions or comments, please contact David Wildman, the author and
And, of course, you can always contact me.
Thank you for visiting and come back again.
**If you wish to use any of the information in these pages, please contact David Wildman for written permission.
Copyright © 2001 - D. J. Coover and David Wildman
All Rights Reserved
Webmaster: D. J. Coover - email