Infantry II: Regiments of Foot: 51st through 104th
(Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1755, as the 54th and renumbered as the 52nd in 1756, the regiment remained in England until 1765, when it went to Canada, and was there some years. In October 1774 it was at Boston and on 17th June 1775 suffered heavy losses at the battle of Bunker's Hill The regiment was actively employed in the American campaigns of 1776-8 (New York in 1776 and Philadelphia in 1778) ; but its ranks were sorely thinned, and the soldiers were drafted into other regiments and the officers returned to England in August 1778.
In 1803, the 52nd was made a light infantry regiment. All men considered unfit for light infantry duties were transferred to the second battalion, which was formed into a separate corps as the 96th Foot. This corps served many years in the West Indies and North America. They were disbanded in 1816. From 1823 to 1831 the 52nd did duty in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. In 1836 it went to Gibraltar, and thence in 1838 to Barbados, remaining in the West Indies and North America until 1848.
53rd (Shropshire) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1755, as the 54th and renumbered as the 53rd in 1757. In May 1776 the 53rd were among the reinforcements sent out to Quebec. Its flank companies were with Burgoyne at Saratoga, but the rest of the regiment was left behind in Canada, where it stayed until 1787. The 53rd again went abroad in 1866. It served in Canada until the withdrawal of Line regiments from the new Dominion.
54th (West Norfolk) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1755, as the 56th and renumbered as the 54th in 1757, the regiment was actively employed in America at New York(1776), Charlestown (1776), Rhode Island(1777-79), Connecticut, and elsewhere during the War of Independence. Shipped to Halifax in September 1782, it was a good many years in New Brunswick,. From 1845 to 1854 the 54th was stationed at Gibraltar, in the West Indies, and Canada.
55th (Westmoreland) Regiment of Foot
Formed in December 1755, as the 57th and renumbered as the 55th in 1757. About eighteen months after its formation the regiment left Cork destined for an attack on Cape Breton. But the enterprise was abandoned for that year, and the troops wintered in Nova Scotia. Next year the 55th served in the attack on Ticonderoga. The 55th went next to Niagara with General Prideaux, and took part in the repulse of a force of 1,800 French regulars and 500 Indians, which attempted the relief of the fort. The 55th was employed in various subsequent operations in connection with the conquest of the Canada's, and was detained in the country some years after the peace.
At the beginning of the American War of Independence the regiment was again in America, arriving in Boston in December 1775, and fought at Long Island(1776), Brandywine(1777), Germantown, and other early conflicts. In 1778 it was among the troops sent from New York to the West Indies.
56th (West Essex) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1755 as the 58th, designated as 56th Regiment in 175 and became the West Essex Regiment in 1782.. In 1840 the regiment was in Quebec and employed on the frontier during the Maine Boundary dispute. It returned home in 1842.
57th (West Middlesex) Regiment of Foot
Formed in December 1755, as the 59th and renumbered as the 57th in 1756. In 1775, the 57th embarked from Ireland for America, with the reinforcements under Lord Cornwallis, and during the greater part of the American War was stationed at New York. The light company formed part of the 2nd Battalion of Light Infantry, and served under Cornwallis in Carolina (May 1776) and Virginia, down to the surrender at York Town. In September 1783 the regiment removed to Nova Scotia, and there remained until 1790. From the south of France the 57th went to America, and was stationed in upper Canada during the American War of 1814-15. It returned home from Canada in August 1815.
58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1755 as the 60th, designated as 58th Regiment in 1756 and named the Rutlandshire Regiment in 1782. The regiment went to Ireland in 1757, and the year after embarked for America, where it fought at the siege and capture of Louisburg providing 685 soldiers, and at Quebec under Wolfe. It was also at the winter defence of Quebec by Murray, and the advance on Montreal, where the surrender of De Vaudreuil's troops on 12th September, 1760, just one year after the death of Wolfe, completed the conquest of the Canada's. It was stationed for a time on the Lakes, and in 1762 formed part of the forces under Major-General Burton, dispatched from. New York to assist in the Havana Expedition. After Cuba was restored to Spain, the regiment returned to Ireland. In 1813 it went from the east coast of Spain to Montreal, where it took part in the expedition against Plattsburg. The battalion returned to Europe too late for Waterloo.
59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment
Formed in December 1755, as the 61st and renumbered as the 59th in 1757. The 59th (Montague's) went to America, and served some years there and in Newfoundland. It was in America at the commencement of the War of Independence, arriving in Boston in 1774, and was present at the battle of Bunker's Hill, 17th June 1775,. In 1776 the soldiers were drafted into other regiments and officers returned to England
60th (Royal American) Regiment of Foot
Formed in December 1755, as the 62nd and renumbered as the 60th in 1757. It combined the functions of a Colonial Corps with that of a Foreign Legion, and in consequence a special Act of Parliament had to be passed, authorizing the Crown to grant commissions to foreigners in it, to serve in America only.
The regiment served at the siege of Louisburg with a complement of 1,903 soldiers, and with Wolfe at Quebec. Their grenadiers were also employed in the operations subsequent to the fall of Wolfe, ending with the capture of Montreal . The third battalion served at the capture of Martinique in 1761, at the conquest of Havana in 1762, and in Florida. It was disbanded after the peace of 1763, as was the fourth battalion, which had served at the capture of Fort Niagara and at Montreal. The two surviving battalions continued to serve in America until 1775.
During the American War of Independence the regiment was chiefly in the West Indies from 1775 to 1807. However in 1779 the 2d, 3d and 4th Battalions arrived in Georgia from the Indies and participated in the defense of Savannah [4th Battalion, 1779], Baton Rouge [3d Battalion, 1779], Mobile [4th Battalion, 1779] and the siege of Pensacola [3d and 4th Battalions, 1781]. After assignments in Spain in 1808-09 the 60th returned to the West Indies from 1809 until 1824. In 1824 the title of "Royal American Regiment" was discontinued, all foreign officers and men were drafted out of it, and the regiment was, brought to England for the first time after an almost uninterrupted service in America and the West Indies of over seventy years. The corps, now reduced to two battalions, was directed to style itself the Duke of York's Rifle Corps and Light Infantry. This was altered to Duke of York's Own Rifle Corps, which title was changed again in 1830 to King's Royal Rifle Corps.
The regiment served at Malta, Gibraltar, and in the Greek Islands, 1835 to 1840, in the West Indies, 1841 to 1844, and in North America, 1845 to 1847. It embarked with other reinforcements for North America in the Great Eastern, at the time of the Trent difficulty, and remained in that country until 1861 when it came home from Nova Scotia. Went to Malta in 1866, and the year after to North America where it served in the Red River Expedition. The battalion returned from Nova Scotia in 1871 and remained at home until 1891 when it proceeded to India.
61st (South Gloucestershire) Regiment
Formed as the 2nd Battalion of 3rd Regiment of Foot, designated the 61st Regiment in 1758 and became the South Gloucestershire Regiment in 1782. The regiment served in Bermuda and Nova Scotia, from 1866 to 1872.
Regiment of Foot
Formed as the 2nd Battalion of 4th Regiment of Foot, and designated the 62nd Regiment in 1758. The 62nd was dispatched to Quebec in May 1776 and was among the regiments to surrender at Saratoga [Oct 1777]. In 1813 the regiment went from the south of France to America, and was employed on the American Lakes during the war of 1814-15 and in the Atlantic region. The regiment returned to Europe too late for Waterloo. The 62nd went to Nova Scotia in 1857 and served in North America until 1864, when it came home from Quebec.
63rd (The West Suffolk) Regiment of
Formed in 1758. The 63rd was sent to America in June 1775 and moved from Boston to New York in 1776 and fought at the battle of Long Island and the capture of New York. It was in the expedition to Philadelphia, and fought it Brandywine and Germantown (1777). Subsequently it served in Georgia and Carolina ( December 1779), where some companies were mounted and employed as dragoons. The 63rd was not with the force which surrendered at Yorktown, being at the time in South Carolina, where it had fought at the battle of Entaw Springs on the 8th September, 1781. It left South Carolina, in the spring of 1782, with the fleet of 300 vessels which carried away the troops remaining in Carolina after Cornwallis's surrender, together with 15,000 loyalists and slaves seeking new homes. The 63rd went to the West Indies, and from there it returned home after the peace of 1783. After the evacuation of the Crimea, in 1855, the 63rd went to Nova Scotia, and remained in America until 1865.
64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of
Formed in 1758. The regiment was stationed at Boston in January 1769 and at Halifax, Nova Scotia before the American War of Independence. It served in New York (1776), Philadelphia (1777), Newport(1778) and Charleston (December 1779) and formed part of the garrison of that place after its surrender. Subsequently it was at the relief of Fort Ninety-Six and the battle of Entaw Springs. When Carolina was abandoned by the troops and loyalists, the 64th went to Jamaica, where it remained from 1782 to 1784. In 1813 the regiment went to Nova Scotia, and it embarked for England, 24th May 1815. In 1840, it went to Nova Scotia, where it was quartered there in 1840-2.
65th (2nd Yorkshire, North Riding) Regiment
Formed in 1758. In 1769, the regiment went to Boston, and was one of the regiments engaged at Bunker's Hill on the memorable 17th June, 1775. Declared under strength, the men were drafted into other regiments and the officers returned to England in May 1776.. After being at home in 1823, the 65th served in the West Indies, Demerara and Canada until August, 1841, when it returned home. Three companies of 65th arrived in Upper Canada in December 1838.
66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1758 and became the Berkshire Regiment in 1782. At the outbreak of the French Revolutionary War the regiment was in Nova Scotia, whence it removed in 1798 to Newfoundland, and there remained until the Peace of Amiens, when it came home. In 1827 it proceeded to Canada, and stayed there fourteen years, during which it was actively employed in Lower Canada during the rebellion in 1838-9. From 1845 to 1848 it was stationed at Gibraltar, and from 1848 to 1851 in Barbados. It was in North America during the Crimean War.
67th (South Hampshire) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1758 and became the South Hampshire Regiment in 1782. From 1833 to 1842 the 67th did duty at Gibraltar, in Demerara and Berbice, Barbados and Canada.
68th (Durham) (Light Infantry) Regiment
Formed in 1758 and became the Durham Regiment in 1782.The regiment was in the Ionian Islands during the Greek War of Independence and afterwards in Canada, whence it returned home in 1829. From 1834 to 1837 it was again in North America.
69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment of
Formed in 1758 from the 24th Regiment's 2nd Battalion and became the South Lincolnshire Regiment in 1782. The 69th served at the siege of Belle Isle in 1761, and was afterwards stationed in America, at Gibraltar, and in Ireland, at various periods during the next 20 years. From 1839 to 1842 it served in North America. The 69th was shipped to Canada in 1867 after the first Fenian raids (Irish veterans in the U.S. attempting to liberate Canada from the British Empire). The Regiment served in Canada and at Bermuda and Gibraltar until 1879, when it returned to England.
70th (Surrey, Glascow Lowland) Regiment
Formed in 1758 as the Glascow Lowland Regiment, became the Surrey Regiment in 1782, the Glascow Lowland again in 1812 and the Surrey in 1825. During the American War of Independence, from 1778 to 1782, the regiment was in Nova Scotia. The regiment left Stirling Castle for Ireland in July, 1813, and immediately afterwards was sent to Canada. It was stationed in upper Canada during the war, 1813-14, and part of it appears to have been engaged in the expedition to Plattsburg, although the circumstance is not mentioned in the published records of the corps. It remained in Canada until 1828, when it returned home again. The 70th served at Gibraltar, Malta, in the West Indies, and Canada, from 1834 to 1843.
71st (Highland) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1775 as two battalions by Lieutenant-General Simon Fraser who also raised the 78th, or Fraser's Highlanders, of 1756-63. Many officers and men of the old "Fraser's" joined the 71st, which was formed at Glasgow, and saw service in America during the War of Independence. after arriving in New York in July 1776. It served there and in Philadelphia(1777) before being sent to Savannah in December 1778 (with a new third battalion). The regiment served Carolinas and Virginia, and the greater part was included in the surrender at Yorktown, 17th October 1781. These troops were detained in America until November 1782, when they returned home, and tile regiment was disbanded.
The second 71st (Highland) Regiment of 1782-4 was formed out of the portions of the 71st Highlanders not included in the surrender at Yorktown. It was disbanded at the peace of 1783, and the place of the 71st Foot remained vacant for a while.
The last 71st regiment to be formed served in Canada from 1824 to 1832; being based at Quebec from 1824 to 1825 and in 1827, at Three Rivers and at Sorel in 1825, at Isle-aux-Noix in 1827, at St. John's in 1827, at Kingston and Couteau de Lac in 1828, at Grand River, at Amherstburg, at Fort Henry, Kingston and at Niagara in 1829, in Toronto in 1830-31, and back at Quebec in 1831. The regiment then moved to Bermuda from 1832 to 1834, when it returned home. In August 1838, detachment of 71st Regiment sent to Brockville to prevent quarrels by political factions. In 1842 a second or, as it was called, "reserve" battalion was formed and sent to Canada, where it served until 1854.
72nd (Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders)
Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1758 from 2nd Battalion, 33rd Regiment and disbanded in 1763. Reformed in 1786, became the Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders in 1823. From 1851 to 1854 the regiment served in Nova Scotia.
Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1786 from the 2nd Battalion 42nd Regiment and became the Highland Regiment in 1782. In 1838 the regiment was sent to Nova Scotia, and then in 1839 to Canada. In 1841 it returned home. In December 1838 the 73rd arrived in Upper Canada and was sent to Brantford. In 1862 the regiment became the Perthshires.
74th (Highlanders) Regiment of Foot
Formed in December 1777. The "Argyle Highlanders" of 1777-83 was raised by Colonel John Campbell, of Barbrick, a veteran of the old 78th, or Fraser Highlanders, of 1756-63. It served in Nova Scotia during the American War, and was distinguished by its defence of Penobscot in July 1779 against an American squadron. In 1779 it was dispatched to New York. The flank companies were later employed in Carolina. The regiment returned to Scotland and was disbanded in 1783.
The next 74th regiment embarked for Canada, in 1818, and served in different parts of North America, in Newfoundland, and Bermuda until 1830. It went abroad again in 1834, and served in the West Indies, Canada, and Nova Scotia until 1845.
75th (Stirlingshire) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1787 as the 75th Highland Regiment, became the 7th Regiment in 1809 and the Stirlingshire Regiment in 1862. Possibly assigned to Canada in 1865 - "Records and Badges" does not mention the 75th in Canada.
76th Regiment of Foot
The 76th (Highland) Regiment was formed in August 1777 and existed from 1777-84. This regiment was raised by Lord Macdonald, in the Highlands and Isles. It was sent to the relief of Jersey when that Island was attacked by the French, and subsequently to New York in August 1779 where it served during the latter part of the campaign in North Carolina down to the surrender at Yorktown. The Macdonald Highlanders were disbanded at Stirling Castle in 1784.
A different 76th left the south of France
after 1813 and went to Canada, and was employed in the unsuccessful expedition
to Plattsburg, on Lake Champlain, in September, 1814, after which it served
for thirteen years in Canada, returning home in 1827. The battalion since
served in Malta from 1850 and in Atlantic Canada from 1853 to 1857.
Highlanders) Regiment of Foot
Raised in 1757 as the 1st Highland Battalion, designated the 62nd Regiment and re-designated the 77th Regiment in 1758. The 77th was speedily shipped off to America, where it served in the second expedition (1758) against Fort Du Quesne on the Ohio, and in enterprises against the French and Indians. After the peace of 1763 the regiment was disbanded, the officers and men who desired them receiving grants of land in America. A later 77th went abroad again in 1837, and served in the Mediterranean, West Indies and North America until 1848, when it went home.
78th (Fraser's Highlanders)
(Ross-Shire Buffs) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1757 as the 2nd Highland Battalion, but was speedily brought into the Line as the 62nd, then 63rd and finally 78th (Highland) Regiment and was sent off, in thirteen companies, each of 105 rank-and-file, to America. The regiment won fame at Louisburg (numbering 1,199 men) and under Wolfe at Quebec. It was subsequently at the defence of Quebec and in the expedition against Montreal. It remained in Canada until 1762, when it was sent with a small expeditionary force to re-take St. John's, Newfoundland, which had been captured by the French. The regiment was disbanded in December 1763 in Quebec, large numbers of the officers and men receiving grants of land in America. Formed in 1793, The 78th (Ross-Shire Buffs) Regiment went to Montreal in 1867 and Nova Scotia in 1871, when it returned to England.
79th (Highland-Cameron Volunteers) Regiment
Formed in 1793 as the Highland-Cameron Volunteers, re-titled Cameron Highlanders in 1804. The 1st battalion proceeded in July, 1814, to Ireland, where it embarked with reinforcements for America; but being twice driven back by stress of weather, it was ultimately sent to Belgium. The 79th Highlanders served in Canada a single battalion corps from 1825 to 1832 and again from 1848 to 1851. This included Montreal (1828), Fort Henry, Kingston (1830-31), York (now Toronto) Ontario (1832-33) and Quebec (1834-36).
80th Regiments of Foot
The first 80th regiment was the 80th Light Armed Regiment of 1758-64, raised for service in America by Colonel (afterwards General) the Hon. Thomas Gage, under a warrant dated 5th May, 1758. It consisted of five companies of extra strength, the men of which had a lighter equipment than usual, and had the barrels of their firelocks cut short like carbines, and browned. The regiment was disbanded in Canada in 1764.
The next 80th (Royal Edinburgh Volunteers) Regiment, of `1778-84, one of the "loyalty" regiments, the cost of raising which was defrayed by public subscription during the American War of Independence. It was raised in Edinburgh, and arrived in New York in August 1779. It was sent to Virginia in April 1781, surrendered at Yorktown in October, and was disbanded after the peace of 1783. A subsequent 80th Regiment (Staffordshire Volunteers), formed in 1793 was never stationed in North America.
81st (Loyal Lincoln Volunteers) Regiment
Formed in 1793, became the Loyal Lincoln Volunteers in 1832. The 81st arrived in Canada in 1814. In 1821 the 81st, embarked for Jamaica, and served in that island, Nova Scotia, and Bermuda until 1831, when it returned home. It embarked again for foreign service in 1836, and was stationed in North America until 1847.
82nd Regiments of Foot
Formed in 1777. The 82nd (Hamilton) Regiment was raised in the Scottish Lowlands, at the private cost of the Duke of Hamilton, The flank companies were lost on the coast of New Jersey before the regiment could arrive in New York in August 1779 after serving in Penobscot in July. In April 1781 the 82nd was sent to Wilmington. Some companies surrendered at Yorktown in October while the balance of the regiment returned to Charleston and then New York in April 1782. In April 1783 the regiment was dispatched to serve in Nova Scotia and was disbanded in 1783 in Halifax.
The next 82nd, 82nd (Prince of Wales's
Volunteers) Regiment, was raised under a letter of service dated
27th September, 1793. In 1813, from the south of France it went to America
and fought at the battle of Lundy's Lane (Niagara) and in other affairs
on the Niagara frontier during the campaign of 1814. In June, 1815, the
battalion left Canada. The 82nd served from 1843-47 in Canada.
83rd Regiments of Foot
The 83rd (Royal Glasgow Volunteers) Regiment of Foot was formed in 1777 served in New York in 1783, returned to Scotland and was disbanded in that same year.
A later 83rd was the County of Dublin Regiment raised in 1793 served many years in North America, and was stationed in Canada during the insurrections of 1838-39. In January 1838 two companies were sent to Upper Canada.
84th Regiments of Foot
The first 84th Regiment of foot was formed in 1758 and disbanded in 1765, and saw service in India only.
A battalion (Royal Highland Emigrant Corps)
was raised in Canada in 1775 and taken on strength as the 84th (Royal
Highland Emigrants Regiment) of Foot in January 1779. It
consisted of two battalions wearing full highland garb. The first battalion
was raised in Canada by Colonel Allan MacLean, of the old 114th Royal Highland
Volunteers of 1763, out of the families of soldiers of the 42nd
77th and 78th Highlanders,
who had settled in Canada at the peace of 1763. It defended Quebec against
the Americans under Arnold, and was afterwards employed on the frontier.
The second battalion was raised in like manner, from settlers in Nova Scotia,
and served there and in Carolina April 1781) and Virginia. Part of the
regiment surrendered with Lord Cornwallis at York Town, while the balance
of the regiment were sent to New York in April 1782. The battalions were
disbanded in Ontario(1st) and Halifax(2nd) in 1784. The third 84th (York and Lancaster)
Regiment of Foot. served in Nova Scotia in 1870.
85th Regiments of Foot
The first 85th was formed in 1759 and disbanded in 1763 and was never stationed in North America.
The second 85th (Westminster Volunteers) made its appearance on the rolls in 1777 and was assigned to Jamaica. The greater part of it perished in a cyclone off the banks of Newfoundland, when homeward bound in 1782. The remnant of the regiment was disbanded at Dover Castle in 1783.
The third 85th (Bucks Volunteers) was formed in 1793 and was posted to Jamaica from 1803-08. It was dispatched to America from the South of France in 1813. It was present at the battle of Bladensburg and capture of Washington, and in the attempt on New Orleans, where it suffered heavily. It returned from America in 1814. The regiment served in Canada from 1835 to 1842, during which time it was one of the regiments dispatched on horse-sleighs from New Brunswick to Quebec during the Canadian Rebellion of 1838-9; and afterwards served in the West Indies from 1842 to 1845. June 1838, three companies of 85th Regiment arrived in Upper Canada, remaining companies arrive in December.
86th (Royal County Down) Regiment of
Formed in 1793. The 86th went to Bermuda in 1880. After serving some years in Bermuda and Nova Scotia the battalion removed in 1886 to Gibraltar.
87th (Prince of Wales's Irish) Regiment
Formed in 1793. In 1866 the battalion went to Malta, and served in that island and in Nova Scotia until 1876, when it came home.
88th Regiments of Foot
The 88th (Royal Highland Volunteers) of 1760-63. This was a corps of Highlanders, raised under an order dated 1st January 1760, by Major John Campbell of Dunoon. It served in the campaigns in Germany as a linked battalion with the old 87th Highlanders. It was disbanded on 17th July 1763.
The 88th Foot of 1779-83. This corps was raised under an order dated 19th October 1779. It was disbanded at the peace of 1783.
The 88th (Connaught Rangers) were
formed in 1793. In 1814, the 88th proceeded to Quebec, and served
in the expedition against Plattsburg, on Lake Erie. Returning to Europe,
it landed at Ostend a month after the battle of Waterloo. It served in
the Mediterranean, West Indies, and North America from 1841 to 1851.
89th (Princess Victoria's) Regiment
Formed in 1793.The 2nd Battalion arrived in Kingston in October 1812 and was moved to York and then Fort George in July 1814. and fought at the battle of Lundy’s Lane, and other engagements. In January 1815 it sailed for France. The 89th went abroad in 1835, and served in the Mediterranean, West Indies, and North America until 1847.
90th (Perthshire Volunteers) Regiment
Formed in 1794. In 1814 the first battalion was removed from the West Indies to Canada, and was sent up to Montreal, but after the declaration of Peace with the United Sates was brought down to Quebec, to embark for Europe, landing in Ostend in August, 1815.
91st (Argyllshire) Regiment of Foot
Formed in 1794 as 98th Regiment, designated 91st in 1796. The regiment was not assigned to North America.
92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of
Formed in 1794 as the 100th Regiment, designated the 92nd in 1798.The regiment was not assigned to North America.
93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment
Formed in 1799. The 93rd sailed in 1814 with the expedition against New Orleans, and in the desperate but unsuccessful attack on the American position on the left of the Mississippi lost 3 officers, 2 sergeants, and 58 men killed, and 12 officers, 17 sergeants, 3 drummers, and 348 men wounded. A second battalion, which had been raised for the regiment in 1814, did duty in Newfoundland for sixteen months, and was then brought home and disbanded. The 93rd was in Canada during the insurrection of 1838, and served in North America and the West Indies until 1848. 93rd arrived in Upper Canada in December 1838.
94th Regiment of Foot
The 94th (Royal Welsh Volunteers) Regiment of Foot of 1760-63, was raised in Wales by Colonel the Hon. John Vaughan. It served in America and the West Indies, and was disbanded after the peace of 1763.
The 94th Foot of 1779-83 was an English
regiment, the place of formation being Colchester, Essex. It went out to
Jamaica with other reinforcements when the island was in danger of invasion
in 1780 and was brought home and disbanded in 1783.
95th Regiment of
The 95th Foot of 1760-3 served in America in 1760-61. It was disbanded at the peace of 1763. The 95th Foot of 1816-18 was a originally a second battalion of the 52nd Foot. In 1803 it was formed into a separate regiment as the 96th Foot and served in the West Indies, Bermuda, and North America for many years. It was disbanded in 1818.
Note: The Rifle Brigade was formed late in the history of the British Army, in 1800 as "The Rifle Corps" using men selected from fourteen line infantry regiments who had particular musketry or tactical skills. In 1802, the corps was called into the line as the 95th (Rifles) Regiment As such it served throughout the Peninsula campaigns. It raised a second battalion in at Canterbury in 1805 and a third battalion in 1809. In recognition of its brilliant service throughout the Napoleonic Wars, it was taken out of the line after Waterloo as an independent corps styled The Rifle Brigade and organised after 1819 as a two battalion corps. That organisation continued until the Crimean War when two more battalions were raised. The newly formed 4th Battalion, raised at Winchester in 1857, embarked for Canada in 1861 and served in Canada until 1872.
96th Regiment of
The 96th (Queen's Royal Irish Regiment) Foot raised in Ireland in 1793, fought in the West Indies in the early part of the French Revolutionary War, and was broken up at Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1795, when its remains were drafted into he King's Own and the Royal Fusiliers. A second regiment was re-numbered as the 95th and then disbanded in 1818. The last corps known as the 96th, was raised by general recruiting in 1824, and embarked for New Brunswick soon after. It served in North America until 1831 when it came home. The regiment was at Gibraltar for some mouths in 1857, and at the time of the "Trent" difficulty a wing was dispatched from home to Canada, but its services not being required, it was brought back again.
97th Regiments of Foot
Formed in 1798 as the Minorca Regiment, designated as the 97th (Queen's Own Germans) in 1805. Served in Bermuda, the West Indies, and America, including the expedition to Plattsburg in 1814. It was re-numbered as the 96th in 1816 and disbanded in 1818.
Formed in 1824, the new 97th (The Earl of Ulster's) went abroad in 1841, and served in Gibraltar, in the Ionian Islands, Jamaica, and in North America until 1853, when it came home. In 1873 the 97th went to Jamaica, and served in that island, in the West Indies, Nova Scotia, and Bermuda, until 1880, when it was removed from Nova Scotia to Gibraltar.
98th Regiment of Foot
The 98th Foot of 1805-15 was raised in 1805 and served some years in Bermuda and New Brunswick. It was renumbered as the 97th in 1815 and disbanded in 1818. It served in the Atlantic region of Canada from 1814 to approximately 1818.
99th (Prince of Wales Tipperary) Regiment
In 1803 a 99th regiment was raised in Ireland, and served in Bermuda and North America. It was renumbered as the 98th in 1816 and disbanded in 1818.
100th Regiments of Foot
There have been four regiments numbered "100" in the British Army's infantry of the line over the centuries; two have served in Canada:
The third 100th Regiment (Prince Regent's
County of Dublin Regiment) was raised in 1804 and sent in October 1805
to garrison Canada. Half the regiment was drowned in a shipwreck off Newfoundland.
The remainder served out the war in Canada, fighting the Americans in the
northern campaign of the War of 1812. The regiment was renumbered as the
99th in 1816 and disbanded in 1818.
Links - Richmond Military Settlement
The fourth regiment was the 100th Regiment (Prince of Wales Royal Canadians), a British infantry regiment raised in 1857 by officers of the Canadian Volunteers to serve in India in dealing with the Indian Mutiny. The regiment was recruited in Canada in early 1858 and shipped to Shornecliffe Camp in England later that year. The battalion remained in England until 1863 when it proceeded on a tour of duty in Gibraltar and Malta until 1869, when it returned to England. In 1877 it proceeded to Bengal, remaining in India until 1895 when it returned home. In 1898 the 1st Battalion was dispatched to Halifax, Nova Scotia. The new regiment twenty years later came full circle, becoming "Irish" -- and was disbanded in 1922 when Ireland became independent.
101st (Royal Bengal Fusiliers) Regiment
The 101st (Duke of York’s Irish) Regiment was raised in 1806. It served in the West Indies and on the Canadian frontier during the campaigns of 1813-14. It was disbanded at Haslar 17th January, 1817. A later 101st proceeded to Nova Scotia in 1876. It served in Nova Scotia and Bermuda until 1883, when it returned home.
102nd Regiment of Foot
The 102nd of 1809 served under the command of General Sir Charles Napier in Guernsey, Bermuda, and North America (in Atlantic region from 1814), including the affairs at Craney’s Island and elsewhere during the American War of 1814.
103rd Regiment of Foot
In 1809 a 103rd served on the Canadian frontier during the war of 1813-14, having arrived in 1812.
104th Regiment of
The King's New Brunswick Regiment of Foot was raised as a provincial corps in 1793 and was elevated to a fencible corps in 1799. Many of its members were Loyalists or sons of Loyalists. It provided the garrison for New Brunswick when the regular line regiment was withdrawn for service in the war with France. This regiment was disbanded in 1802 after the Treaty of Amiens was signed with France. The New Brunswick Fencible Infantry was raised in 1803 when the war with France was renewed. This Regiment was elevated to line status as the 104th Regiment of Foot in 1810. It made a winter march to Canada during February and March 1813. While there, it was employed at Sackett's Harbour, Beaver Dams, the blockade of Fort George, the Battle of Lundy's Lane and the assault on Fort Erie. The Regiment was disbanded at Montreal on the 24th May, 1817. Many members of the Regiment received grants of land along the Upper Saint John River. The New Brunswick Fencibles was raised in 1813 to replace the 104th for service in New Brunswick. This unit was disbanded in 1816.
The PCORB served in Canada in the 1840's and again (both 1st & 4th Battalions) from 1861-1870 as part of the response to first the Trent difficulties and then the Fenian problems, and also to train the Canadian Militia for the aftermath of Confederation. They also formed the Governor General's and the Government's Honour Guard at the proclamation of the Dominion of Canada, 1 July 1867, as they were the regular troops assigned to the Ottawa garrison at that time.
When the Rifle Brigade was taken out of the numbered line in 1816 it vacated the number 95, and all the regiments above it slipped down one digit to fill the gap. Thus the 100th became the 99th, but all those regiments (95th-104th) were disbanded in 1817-1818 since they were excess to Britain's imperial requirements and post-Napoleonic occupation duties.