The remote ancestry of the Cushing family has been the subject of a number of investigations, which have succeeded in tracing the family to very early times. The first work of importance was undertaken by the Hon. Caleb Cushing, the 23rd Attorney General of the United States. He traced the family to Norfolk County, England; and finding himself unable to give the necessary time to the research, engaged the late H.G. Somerby of London, a well known genealogist, to continue it.

Mr. Somerby entered on the task with enthusiasm, as evidenced by his letters, some of which are in the writer's possession. During the years 1851-1853 he examined the ancient manuscripts in the British Museum, the Subsidy Rolls and Heraldic Visitations for Norfolk, the parish registers and ancient deeds and wills connected with various estates and manors in Hardingham, Hingham, and other places. His efforts were crowned with unexpected success; he established the fact that the Cushings were one of the leading families in Norfolk County during the 15th and 16th centuries, being lords of numerous manors, and he published his results in several important papers before historical and genealogical societies in Great Britain.

Hon. Lemuel Cushing, a lawyer from Montreal, having received the papers and correspondence relating to the subject from the Hon. Caleb Cushing, continued the work, adding many details, and published the first edition of "The Genealogy of the Cushing Family" in 1877. In this work he traces the family back to Thomas Cushing of Hardingham, Norfolk Co., who lived in the early part of the 15th century.

After Lemuel Cushing's death in 1881, Frank Hamilton Cushing, Curator of the Ethnological Department of the National Museum in Washington, D.C., continued the investigation. Assisted by various recent publications on the early history of Norfolk County, and obtained valuable evidence of the descent of the Cushings from the DeLimisi family who owned numerous manors in Norfolk County in the 11th and 12th centuries. His early decease interrupted the work, but, through the kindness of his widow, the papers containing the results of his work were submitted to the present writer. As one or two links of the chain are still missing, it was thought best to publish Mr. Frank Hamilton Cushing's manuscript verbatim, in the hope that at some future time the work may be completed and to commence the genealogy of the family at a point from which the actual descent from father to son rests on direct documentary evidence.

James Stevenson Cushing completed the work started by his father, Lemuel Cushing; and published "The Genealogy of the Cushing Family" (An account of the Ancestors and Descendants of Matthew Cushing, who came to America in 1638) by The Perrault Printing Co - Montreal in 1905. Preface to the edition says extensive use of NEHGS library, History of Hingham, Buckingham Genealogy 1892, town and church records of Hingham, Scituate, Rehoboth, Pembroke, Hull. Few errors found, except occassional date.

More recently, a sequel to "The Genealogy of the Cushing Family 1905 - 1969" by Allston Tattrie Cushing was published by the author in Kansas City, Missouri in 1969. Allston Cushing was a Civil Engineer formerly with the Pennsylvania Railroad and the United States Government.

And today begins an all new living testament of "The Genealogy of the Cushing Family", fully updated which also incorporates hitherto undocumented histories of our Irish ancestors, authored by Warren Randolph Cushing at the University of California in Irvine.

Copyright 2002-2009. All rights reserved. All information is freely available for private use. Requests for public or commercial use must be obtained from the author. Thank you.