Clifton W. Bush
Generation No. 1
1. THOMAS1 ELAM He
married MARY SHIRECLIFFE,
daughter of JAMES SHIRECLIFFE and ALICE.
Notes for THOMAS ELAM:
The name Elam is English and is derived from Elham a village near Canterbury, Kent county England. Elham is probably a contraction of Elmham meaning a village of elms, and residents of that community first bore the name elham which afterwards became Elam. The early Elams belonged to the gentry as distinguished from the nobility.
Children of THOMAS ELAM and MARY
2. i. MARTIN2 ELAM, d. 20 November 1695.
3. ii. GILBERT ELAM, SR., b. May 1630, ENGLAND; d. 01 June 1696, HENRICO CO. VA..
Generation No. 2
2. MARTIN2 ELAM (THOMAS1) died 20 November 1695.
Notes for MARTIN ELAM:
Henrico Co., Virginia
Dtd. 7 March 1695
Will has been shortened:
To my son Martin Elam all land in Bermudy Hundred and
privilege to get timber and fueling at Flintons, a silver tankard, a great
chest that was my uncle's etc. To so John Elam land at Flintons on both
sides of the slash and 500 acres at Proctors joining Fowler's line, and various
items. All the rest of land at Proctors to be equally divided between my
To daughter Mary, various silver and items.
To daughter Frances, silver cup on old Martin's mark and 4 silver spoons, four of them on old Martin's mark a great brass kettle that was my uncle's, etc.
To daughter Martha a bed, etc.
Servants to be equally divided among wife and children when children marry or come of age.
My two sons to have benefit of own labor at age 17. All the rest to loving wife and she to be sole executrix.
Will probated 20
Children of MARTIN ELAM are:
i. MARTIN3 ELAM.
ii. JOHN ELAM.
iii. MARY ELAM.
iv. FRANCES ELAM.
v. MARTHA ELAM.
3. GILBERT2 ELAM, SR. (THOMAS1) was born May 1630 in ENGLAND,
and died 01 June 1696 in HENRICO CO. VA.. He married ANN ELAM
daughter of ROBERT ELAM. She was born 1629, and died Bef. 02 April 1694 in HENRICO , VA..
Notes for GILBERT ELAM, SR.:
Will of Gilbert Elam, Sr.
To grandson Henry Gee, all my land at Parkers, 120 acres.
To daughter Elizabeth, a feather bed and 370 acres on Falling Creek, to be divided between her and my grandson Gilbert Gee, plus other items to the two Gee grandsons above.
To son Thomas Elam, 300 acres on Falling Creek.
To son Gilbert Elam and two sons in law Edward Ward and Robert Broadway, each a shilling apiece.
Son Thomas Elam to be sole executor
dated 17 Feb. 1693/4
Wit: Edward Oliver, John Worsham, Phebe Worsham
Recorded 1 June 1696
More About GILBERT ELAM, SR.:
Fact: 1696, Will dated April 1, 1696, probated June 1, 1696
Religion: 11 May 1630, BAPTISED THURNSCOE PARISH CHURCH
Notes for ANN ELAM:
In 1652 Ann Elam was brought over by Robert Elam of Henrico Co., Virginia, (page 105, "Early Virginia Immigrants", 1623-1666 by George Greer).
More About ANN ELAM:
Fact: 1652, IMMIGRATED TO VIRGINIA
Children of GILBERT ELAM and ANN ELAM
4. i. GILBERT3 ELAM,JR., b. 1659, Henrico Co. Va.; d. 05 December 1697, Henrico Co. Va..
ii. THOMAS ELAM., b. 1661; m. ELIZABETH BEVAN, 26 May 1694.
5. iii. MARY ELAM, b. 1665.
iv. ELIZABETH ELAM, b. 1670.
Generation No. 3
4. GILBERT3 ELAM,JR. (GILBERT2, THOMAS1) was born 1659 in Henrico Co. Va., and died 05 December 1697 in Henrico Co. Va.. He married MARY HATCHER Abt. 1677, daughter of EDWARDD HATCHER and MARY WARD. She was born 1658 in Henrico Co. Va., and died Aft. 1697.
Notes for GILBERT ELAM,JR.:
Will of Gilbert Elam Jr.
Henrico County, Virginia
Dtd. 18 Sept. 1697
First portion of will missing:
To son Gilbert Elam part of plantation whereon I
live, land marked and laid out by Robert Hancock and William Clark. To son
William Elam land on North side of Falling Creek except 50 acres to son Robert
Elam and %0 acres more to son Gilbert Elam.
To daughter Mary Elam largest gold ring and silver bodkin.
To daughter Martha Elam, items.
To daughter Sarah Elam, items.
To daughter Elizabeth Elam, items.
To daughter Obedience, 1 new pewter dish and 1 sow.
To son Robert Elam my large Bible when of lawful age.
To sons Gilbert and Robert to be of age 17.
To son William Elam a musket at my house.
To son Robert Elam to live with my father-in-law Edward Hatcher.
Gilbert Elam to tarry with his God Father William Hatcher until he is 17.
Wife Mary Elam to be executrix.
Edward Ward Elan
Will probated 5 December 1697
It appears that Gilbert Elam, Jr., was the grandson of Robert Elam through his mother, Ann, and not through his father.
More About GILBERT ELAM,JR.:
Fact: Will dated September 18, 1697 probated December 5, 1697
More About MARY HATCHER:
Religion: CHURCH QUAKER OR BAPTIST
Children of GILBERT ELAM and MARY
6. i. GILBERT4 ELAM III, b. Aft. 1680; d. 1751, CHESTERFIELD VA..
ii. MARY ELAM, b. 1682.
7. iii. ROBERT ELAM, b. 1684, HENRICO CTY VA.; d. 1753, CHESTERFIELD CTY. VA..
iv. MARTHA ELAM, b. 1686.
v. WILLIAM ELAM, b. 1686.
vi. SARAH ELAM, b. 1688.
vii. OBEDIANCE ELAM, b. Bef. 1680; d. Aft. 1697.
5. MARY3 ELAM (GILBERT2, THOMAS1) was born 1665. She married HENRY GEE.
Child of MARY ELAM and HENRY GEE is:
i. HENRY4 GEE, JR..
Generation No. 4
6. GILBERT4 ELAM III (GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) was born Aft. 1680, and died 1751 in CHESTERFIELD VA.. He married MARY. She died 1756.
Notes for GILBERT ELAM III:
In 1724 Gilbert (III) was appointed guardian of Elisabeth Ward, daughter of Richard Ward, deceased. Will of Gilbert III (Chesterfield Will Book 1, p.29, dated 22 July 1750; proved 2 Mar 1751) mentions wife Mary, daughter Mary, daughter Elizabeth, son Gilbert, son James, son Robert, daughter Ann, daughter Lucy, daughter Judith. Wife named executrix. Robert Became administrator of her estate on 3 Sept. after her death.
Children of GILBERT ELAM and MARY
8. i. GILBERT5 ELAM IV, d. 1756.
ii. ROBERT ELAM.
iii. JAMES ELAM, b. 20 September 1727.
iv. MARY ELAM.
v. ELIZABETH ELAM.
vi. ANN ELAM.
vii. LUCY ELAM.
viii. JUDITH ELAM.
7. ROBERT4 ELAM (GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) (Source: The Elam Family, by Harvey Elam.) was born 1684 in HENRICO CTY VA., and died 1753 in CHESTERFIELD CTY. VA.. He married BOLLING. She was born in HENRICO CTY VA..
Notes for ROBERT ELAM:
Will of Robert (Chesterfield Will Book, dated 1 Jan 1753) mentions on Robert, grandson Peter, son Richard, son Lodwick, son Gilbert, daughter Mary, Mary's son William, daughter Elisa Stratton, daughter Obedience, daughter Martha, daughter Anne Walthall, grandson Robert, son William. Sons Robert and Richard to be executors. Probated 1755. Grandsons mentioned are probably sons of his son Robert.
More About ROBERT ELAM:
Ocupation: GENT. PLANTER
Children of ROBERT ELAM and BOLLING
i. RICHARD5 ELAM, d. 1769; m. SARAH.
ii. MARY ELAM.
iii. ELIZA ELAM, m. THOMAS STRATTON.
iv. OBEDIANCE ELAM.
v. ROBERT ELAM, d. 1783.
9. vi. GILBERT ELAM, b. CHESTERFIELD CTY. VA.; d. 1781.
vii. LODOWICK ELAM, m. JANE.
viii. WILLIAM ELAM, b. 1738; d. 19 May 1784; m. FRANCIS COX, 12 December 1758.
ix. MARTHA ELAM.
x. ANNE ELAM, m. WALTHALL.
Generation No. 5
8. GILBERT5 ELAM IV (GILBERT4, GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) died 1756. He married ELIZABETH. She was born 1730, and died WFT Est. 1757-1824.
Children of GILBERT ELAM and
i. KEZIAH6 ELAM, b. WFT Est. 1742-1757; d. WFT Est. 1746-1846.
10. ii. JOSIAH ELAM, b. 1753; d. 1821.
9. GILBERT5 ELAM (ROBERT4, GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) was born
in CHESTERFIELD CTY. VA., and died 1781. He married (1) SUSANNAH
RAINES. She was born 1765, and died 1830. He married (2) SUSANNAH
daughter of JAMES HILL and ANN.
More About GILBERT ELAM:
Children of GILBERT ELAM and SUSANNAH
i. BURWELL6 ELAM.
ii. JAMES ELAM.
iii. LODOWICK ELAM, m. JUDITH BLACKWELL, 21 May 1791, Amelia County (Source: Virginia Vital Records #1 1600s-1800s,Marrage bonds in Halfax County.).
iv. GILBERT ELAM, m. SALLY SIMS, 16 March 1785.
v. GODFREY ELAM, m. NANCY BOWIER, 20 December 1816.
vi. MARTHA ELAM.
vii. ANN ELAM, m. JOHN GODSEY, 1762.
viii. SUSANNAH ELAM.
Children of GILBERT ELAM and SUSANNAH HILL are:
11. ix. WILLIAM6 ELAM, b. 1765, CHESTERFIELD CTY. VA.; d. 1860, RUSSELL CTY. VA..
ELAM, b. 1766; m. HENRU EASTERLING.
xi. BENJAMIN ELAM, b. 1768; m. ELIZABETH STANFORD, 1793.
xii. ROBERT ELAM, b. 1771; m. ELIZ GORDON, 06 November 1792.
xiii. SUSANNAH ELAM, b. 1773; m. WILLIAM ELLISON.
xiv. JEREMIAH ELAM, b. 1775; m. JANE DONAHEW.
xv. WALTER ELAM, b. 1777; m. NANCY RAINES, 01 December 1795.
Generation No. 6
10. JOSIAH6 ELAM (GILBERT5, GILBERT4, GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) was born 1753, and died 1821. He married SARAH PORTER. She was born 1781, and died 1850.
Child of JOSIAH ELAM and SARAH PORTER
i. ELIZABETH7 ELAM, b. 1799; d. 1846; m. CALEB WEST; b. 1796; d. 1845.
11. WILLIAM6 ELAM (GILBERT5, ROBERT4, GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) was born 1765 in CHESTERFIELD CTY. VA., and died 1860 in RUSSELL CTY. VA.. He married SUSANNAH REIGNS 24 July 1792 in MONTGOMERY CTY. VA. She was born 1770 in MONTGOMERY CTY. VA.
More About WILLIAM ELAM:
More About SUSANNAH REIGNS:
Children of WILLIAM ELAM and SUSANNAH
i. SUSAN7 ELAM, m. DANIEL RAMEY.
ii. BARBARA VINA ELAM, b. 1793; m. CHARLES KAZEE.
iii. NANCY ELAM, b. 1794; m. AMBROSE HOLBROOK.
12. iv. NIMROD ELAM, b. 1797, WYTHE CTY.; d. 1885.
v. GILBERT ELAM, b. 1796; m. CATHERINE COOLEY.
vi. WALTER W. ELAM, b. 1798; m. ELLENDER WHEELER.
vii. DOW LORENZO ELAM, b. 1800; m. SARAH VICKERS.
viii. SAMUEL ELAM, b. 1806; m. MARY COTTLE.
Generation No. 7
12. NIMROD7 ELAM (WILLIAM6, GILBERT5, ROBERT4, GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) (Source: Census Dickensonville Township 1860 Census.) was born 1797 in WYTHE CTY., and died 1885. He married (1) MARY EASTERLING 1824 in RUSSEL CTY. VA.. She was born 1798 in RUSSEL CTY. VA., and died 1856 in RUSSEL CTY. VA.. He married (2) LYDIA ADAMS 26 March 1857. She was born 1823.
More About NIMROD ELAM:
More About MARY EASTERLING:
Child of NIMROD ELAM and MARY EASTERLING is:
13. i. ABSALOM8 ELAM, b. 1821, RUSSELL CTY. VA.; d. 01 July 1864, Russell County Va., from Consumption.
Children of NIMROD ELAM and LYDIA
ii. HENRY8 ELAM, b. 1848.
iii. SAMUEL ELAM, b. 1852.
Generation No. 8
13. ABSALOM8 ELAM (NIMROD7, WILLIAM6, GILBERT5, ROBERT4, GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) (Source: Census Dickensonville Township 1860 Census.) was born 1821 in RUSSELL CTY. VA., and died 01 July 1864 in Russell County Va., from Consumption. He married SUSANNAH MOORE 1846. She was born 1829 in RUSSLE CTY. VA.
More About ABSALOM ELAM:
Cause of Death: Consumption
More About SUSANNAH MOORE:
Children of ABSALOM ELAM and SUSANNAH
i. WILLIAM W.9 ELAM, b. 1847.
ii. MARY ELAM, b. 1849; m. JOHN BLIZZARD, 03 August 1870.
14. iii. ROBERT W. ELAM, b. 1850, RUSSEL CTY. VA.; d. Abt. 1920, RUSSEL CTY. VA..
iv. JAMES M. ELAM, b. 1851; d. 06 February 1888, Russell County Virginia Typhoid Fever; m. MARTHA C.BUCKLES, 04 September 1878.
v. EMILY B. ELAM, b. 1854, Russell County Virginia; d. 04 October 1864, Russell County Virginia.
Notes for EMILY B. ELAM:
Died at age 13, from a accident with a wagon.
More About EMILY B. ELAM:
Cause of Death: Killed by Wagon
vi. JANE ELAM, b. 1856; m.
J.W.F. JOHNSON, 05 March 1880.
vii. ENOCH ELAM, b. 1858; m. ELLEN BUCKLES, 04 September 1878.
viii. ESTER M. ELAM, b. 1860; m. JAMES MARSHALL, 23 September 1890.
Generation No. 9
14. ROBERT W.9 ELAM (ABSALOM8, NIMROD7, WILLIAM6, GILBERT5, ROBERT4, GILBERT3, GILBERT2, THOMAS1) (Source: Census Dickensonville Township 1860 Census.) was born 1850 in RUSSEL CTY. VA., and died Abt. 1920 in RUSSEL CTY. VA.. He married (1) MARTHA BURKE 12 November 1869 in Russell Cty. Va., daughter of JOHN BURKE and NANCY CULBERTSON. She was born 1849 in RUSSEL CTY. VA., and died Bef. 1906. He married (2) LUCINDA ISOM 27 June 1906 in Wise Co.. She was born in Letcher CO. Ky..
Notes for ROBERT W. ELAM:
Records show Robert Elam, and Martha (1898 ) selling to her her brother Robert K Burke their 50 Acers of land,and moving to Wise County c1900, where they ran a boarding house.
More About ROBERT W. ELAM:
Ocupation: OWNER-BOARDING HOUSE
Children of ROBERT ELAM and MARTHA
i. BELLE10 ELAM.
ii. DELLA ELAM.
iii. EB ELAM, b. 1888; m. MATILDA PHILIPS, 28 January 1908, Wise County Va.; b. 1883, Dickenson Co. Va..
iv. SARAH ELLEN ELAM, b. 1871; m. WILLIAM A MEAD.
v. MINNIE L. ELAM, b. 09 September 1872, Russell Cty. Va.; d. 03 April 1948, NICKELSVILLE CTY. VA. VICARS CEM.; m. (1) GEORGE GRANT ISAACS (Source: (1) Death Cerfificate Nannie (Isaacs)Bush, File # 77-G47 Dtd. May 14. 1977, Show father's name George Isaaca, Mother Minnie Elam., (2) Census Russell Co. Virginia 1900, Shows George's age as 32 and Minnie's age as 27.), 15 January 1889, RUSSELL CTY. VA.; b. 13 March 1872, Russell Cty. Va.; d. 08 September 1911, Middlesboro Ky.; m. (2) HENRY LAWSON, JR., 24 July 1913.
More About MINNIE L. ELAM:
vi. WINNIE ELAM, b. 1875; m. MACK MORGAN, 24 February 1910, Wise County Va.; b. 1881, Wilkes Co. NC..
More About WINNIE ELAM:
Naturalization: NICK NAME WINNIE
vii. WILLIAM P. ELAM, b. 1877;
m. MAGDALENE BALL.
viii. EMILY E. ELAM, b. 1879.
ix. LIZZIE ELAM, b. 1880; m. W. BENTLEY MANN
If you have comments or suggestions, email me at email@example.com