This set of photographs is displayed with the kind permission of John Ball, who retains copyright.
For details of other photographs in his extensive archives please visit his site at
Welsh Family History Archive
[Photographs taken November 14, 1998]
"High on the uplands of Cefn Gwrhyd stands the lonely and isolated Gwrhyd Welsh
Independent Chapel. It was built in 1856 at a cost of £350.
This exposed site was chosen because in the 1850s, it was central for rural chapel-goers
who came from the surrounding farms on horseback or on foot."
["Around Pontardawe" The Archive Photograph Series]
Gareth Hicks © Copyright notice