Contributed by Gareth Morgan of GCG (August 2011) - Dudley Morgan was his father
Dudley Morgan was regarded in the locality as having a remarkable tenor voice.
He lived at Stanley St, GCG, his father was Gwilym Morgan, and his mother Esther Morgan (Evans) - they lived in Ceidrim Rd Garnant where Dudley was born.
His grand mother was Elizabeth Beanland (Evans) Raven Inn, Garnant.
"One thing I am certain of is
that your dad must have been a great singer to have been 2nd
tenor to ORESTE KIRKOP who's voice I have loved also.
born in Malta a great tenor who was a Hollywood Star, appearing in
place of Mario Lanza in The Vagabond King Movie.
When I listen to Oreste
singing "This Same Heart" from the film his voice sounds almost
identical to David Whitfield.
It was a great achievement for your father
to have been chosen to appear with Oreste Kirkop"
Howell Feb 2012)
The press cuttings below contain the following items;
- An incident when Dudley climbed a 40 ft electricity pylon near Gellyceidrim Colliery, sat on the wires and started singing whereupon he touched a live wire and toppled down onto the railway line beneath. He hovered between life and death for days at Swansea Hospital
- Dudley sang the role of Beppe in I Pagliacci
- With the Welsh National Opera Company at Sophia Gardens Pavilion, Cardiff, this was broadcast on TV in 1956
- Also with the Welsh Opera Company at Llandudno
- When the Hughie Green 'discoveries' programme was staged at Garnant many local performers were called to the stage. Dudley Morgan was one of these and at the audition that followed in London he was placed first.
This photograph was taken in the palace in Garnant early the 1950s,
on the left is the famous David Whitfield and next to Dudley on the right is his sister Betty.
As Beppe in I Pagliacci - broadcast in 1956
Dudley's wife Betty seated at the piano at the Welfare Hall GCG in 1950 in a production of the Waltz Dream,
She also accompanied Dudley on the piano on many of his engagements, she also played at many of the GCG operas.
Gareth Hicks © Copyright notice