up

 

Pontardawe  15

 

First photograph below contributed by Mr John Jones of Pontardawe (June 2007)

 

A burnt out Pontardawe canal barge
Named after David 'papa' Thomas, it was burnt out by vandals on the 28th May 2007

 Pontardawe canal barge

 

 


Foundry/Chapel, Pontardawe

This site contains what remains of :

1. The Pontardawe Foundry - see existing entry on the Photograph Gallery

2. The English Wesleyan chapel, Holly St
Below is a part extract from the Chapels database entry on this site
"In the book Around Pontardawe, the Second Selection by the Pontardawe Historians, 1999, it has a photograph of the English Wesleyan Chapel, Holly St.
The caption says;..... the cause started in 1903 in the Rechabites Hall ........... the church cost 600 ..... opened in 1906. It closed in 1992, the (small) congregation moved to the Horeb Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in James St ...... the denomination finally ended in Pontardawe in 1995. ...."

 

The following text and *map image were copied on 1 Dec 2010 from  the the site of Rowland Jones (Chartered Surveyors) who are selling the site ...............

"Former Foundry and Chapel based in Holly Street.  Site Area is approx 1.75 acres.  
The site is located on the Pontardawe Industrial Estate, a medium sized industrial estate of mixed users, located close to the main shopping area in Pontardawe.  The property is also in relatively close proximity to residential properties.Outline planning permission has been granted for residential development with associated access and engineering works.........."

 

The site appears to have been offered for sale since at least Feb 2009

*NB. This map image is the property of Rowland Jones (Chartered Surveyors)

 Pontardawe Foundry site

Gareth Hicks Copyright notice