Contributed by Mrs.Winifred Jean Chart of Alltwen, January 2004
Comments/Descriptions by David Smith
On the passenger line (note the 2 crossings - one is "Garnant Public Crossing" - the other is "Neuadd Crossing")
and the line to the right is the now freight only route to GCG - photographed on same day as above perhaps
- passenger trains were withdrawn in August 1958 (1926 to GCG)
It's not an LMS engine but probably the local colliery shunter from the Amman colliery straying on the big railway tracks to transfer wagons (David Smith)
The 'colliery shunter' is actually a Midland Railway (the precursor of the LMS) 0-6-0T.
The number looks like 1115 and the photo was taken before 1907 because the locomotive was renumbered in that year.
This type of loco is called a 1102 class and is often known as a South Wales tank as when the Midland took over the
Swansea Vale Railway, it built this class of locomotive and immediately sent most of them to Swansea. (John Miles, Cardiff School of Engineering; Nov 2004)
Anyone with an interest in local railways then these books are recommended;
Gareth Hicks © Copyright notice