Villages around the farm of William and Marion Dand taken from:




of the




By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound.

TORONTO: Printed at the Globe Steam Press, 26 & 28 King Street East.


No attempt has heretofore been made to bring out a Directory for the County of Grey, or to present in any public shape, a history and description of the various townships and villages within its limits. Such an attempt is now made; an attempt surrounded with many difficulties, from the great extent and newness of the County, the absence of any prior authority on the subject, and the present unusual depression of business. The Author has steadily kept two objects in view:-to depend on no second-hand information,-and to make the contents so interesting and descriptive as to justify the name of "Gazetteer," which he has placed on the Title-page, and relieve the dryness generally supposed to belong to books of this kind. To attain the first of these objects, he has travelled many hundred miles through the County, during the winter, personally visiting every township, town, village, hamlet, and Post-office; the exceptions among the latter, he can count upon his fingers. To make the historical sketches perfect, he has drawn upon the recollections of many old settlers, and largely upon his own literary gatherings, during a ten-years' residence in the County, the majority of them in connection with the Press. He trusts that the Book will be found very useful for the information it contains, and as a work of reference. He has endeavoured to omit nothing that has a name, in the County, and he believes that in this respect-that of fulness and completeness, it is an improvement on most works of the kind. To his subscribers, and to those who have extended advertising patronage to the undertaking, the Author presents his best thanks; and the latter will, he confidently hopes, find the small venture they have made, a highly satisfactory one. A few errors which have escaped the city proof-reader, and which the Author's distance from the press prevented his correcting in time, are noted in the errata. William Wye Smith. Owen Sound, April 1, 1865.
Taken from:
Excerpt from:
By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. 

FEVERSHAM. A thriving little village in the township of Osprey, a little N.W. of the centre of the township, situated on the upper waters of the Beaver River. It is 1 1/2 miles North of the Durham and Collingwood Gravel Road, the nearest point on that road being about a mile East of Maxwell. It is 18 m. from Collingwood, 3 1/2 m. from Maxwell, 12 from Flesherton, 42 from Owen Sound, and 27 from Durham. Feversham was not a Government Townplot, but began to grow into shape six years ago, when the late Edward Horton Esq., laid out a portion of his property into lots. Mr. Horton built the Grist and Sawmills in 1860. The Flouring Mill has two run of stones, with conveniences for Oatmeal mill, if required. The Sawmill is a first class mill, and will turn out 4,000 ft. lumber per day. There are still two spare water privileges at Feversham. The River here is a consideble stream, yet of a very manageble size for milling purposes. It runs between precipitous rocky banks of about 20 ft. in height, having as it were cut its way through. The river is quite rapid, and a short distance below the village forms pretty cascade of 6 or 8 feet. The Mills are now the property of Arthur McRoberts, Esq. The village contains a Postoffice, 2 Stores, a School House, 2 Churches, both frame buildings; Grist mill, Sawmill, Tavern, Cabinet Maker, Tailor and Carpenter. In the Canada Presbyterian Church, there are religious services every second Sabbath; by Rev. Jas. Greenfield, of Stayner. In the Episcopal Methodist Church, services every second Sabbath, by Rev. John Foster, of Eugenia. There is a Loyal Orange Lodge in Feversham, and a flourishing Temple of the Independent Order of Good Templars. Mails, Monday and Friday. Brownell, Rev. D. E., Wesleyan Methodist. Campbell, Richard, Teacher. Edwards, George, Cabinet maker. FISHER, ALEXANDER, Proprietor Feversham House. Horton, Mrs. (widow Edward). Horton, George, Potash Manufacturer. Horton, Samuel, Farmer. HERON, DUNCAN, Lessee Sawmill. LOGIE, JAMES, General Dealer in Country Produce, Dry Goods, Groceries, Clothing, Boots and Shoes, &c. McROBERTS, ARTHUR, Proprietor Grist and Sawmills. Pipe, Henry, Carpenter. Pye, Charles, Tailor. SPROULE, MRS., Postmistress, and General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c.

Taken from:
Excerpt from:
By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. 


A growing village near the centre of the Township of Artemisia, at the 
intersection of the "Toronto and Sydenham" and Durham and Collingwood 
Gravel Roads.  A few years ago, W. K. Flesher, Esq.,
for some years Reeve of the Township and Warden of the County,
laid out a portion of his property in village lots, and named
the place "Flesherton," by which name it is generally known,
though the post office is still known by the original name
"Artemisia."  Had the other owners of property co-operated with
Mr. Flesher, the place would doubtless have been larger by this date.

Until the Gravel Road was opened up, there was little at
"Flesher Corners" but the two taverns, and a sawmill not now
in existence.  After the gravelling of the two intersecting
Roads, the place began rapidly to improve.  The Sawmill, the
fulling mill, the stores, &c., are all the result of the last
two or three years.  The village has a postoffice, 3 stores, 
2 taverns, several carpenters, a pump-maker, a blacksmith shop, a
Sawmill, a carding and fulling mill, 2 churches, 2 resident
clergymen, and a resident physician.  It is 5 m. from
Priceville, 37 m. from Orangeville, 30 m. to Owen Sound, and 30
m. to Collingwood Harbor.  The Postoffice was first established
about 12 years ago, at the first settlement of the "Toronto
Line."  J. P. Fowler is the present Postmaster.  Mails daily
to and from Collingwood and Durham; on Wednesdays and Saturdays 
to and from Chatsworth; on Mondays and Thursdays to
Orangeville, and on Tuesdays and Fridays from Orangeville.  A
section of the Township Library is kept in the village, 
W. K. Flesher, Librarian.

There is at present no Grist Mill in the villge, though one is
contemplated, and partially erected.  There is a very large
traffic through the village, setting Eastward toward
Collingwood.  The Mill stream is small, a tributary of the Beaver
River, sometimes called "Boyne Water."  The N. C. Methodist
and Wesleyan Churches are both frame buildings; the latter was 
erected in 1864.              

Ainsley, Julius, Farmer.       
Bonnar, Dr. D., Associate Coroner, &C., boards Jones' Hotel.
BOYNE WATER HOTEL, John Jones, Proprietor.
Cairns, Archibald, Farmer.
Campbell, Peter, Carding and Fulling Mill.
CAMPBELL, RICHARD, Township Clerk, (1 1/2 m. S. E.)
Clayton, William, Boot and Shoemaker.
Davidson, William, Farmer.
Dunwoodie, John, Farmer.
FLESHERTON HOTEL, A. Munshaw, Proprietor.      
FLESHER, WILLIAM K., J. P., Proprietor Sawmill, General Merchant, 
	Warden of the County.
Hooper, William, Carpenter.
Hurd, John H., General Blacksmith.
Houx, Ward, Pump and Sieve Maker.
Jacques, Rev. George, Wesleyan Methodist.
JONES, JOHN, Proprietor, "Boyne Water Hotel."
Jackson, Rev. Thomas, New Connexion Methodist.     
Keefer, George, Carpenter.
King, J. H., Farmer.
Marshall, James, Teacher.
MUNSHAW, AARON, Proprietor Flesherton Hotel.
Munshaw, Aaron, Sr., Farmer.
McSorley, John, Farmer.
Rolph, Bartholemew. 
Stewart, George, Farmer.
TRIMBLE, ROBERT, General Merchant and Farmer.
TOWLER, JAMES P., Postmaster; General Merchant:

taken from:
Excerpt from:
By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. 


A new and rising village in the township of Osprey, on the
Durham and Collingwood Gravel Road. Population about 60.  It
is 9 m. from the Toronto and Sydenham Road at Flesherton, and 20 m. 
distant from Collingwood Harbour.  The place contains a Post
office, a store, two churches, school-house, tavern,
Blacksmiths, Shoemaker, Carpenters, Spinning wheel maker,
Cabinetmaker, &C.  There is a large traffic across the country
continually setting toward the Railway  at Collingwood, and its
influence is tending to build up Maxwell and other places on
the route of the Gravel Road.  As an example of the amount of
trade which may be done even in a small place by enterprise and
capital, it nay be mentioned that the firm of Sutherland &
Bowes, Merchants, took in, in the winter of 1863-4, 32,000
bushels of Grain, and 50,000 lbs. of Pork, and teamed the whole
to Collingwood.  Mr. Maxwell has erected and removed into a new
and commodious Hotel during the past few months.

The two chapels belong to the Wesleyan Methodists and the
Canada Presbyterians, respectively.  They are new and scarcely
yet finished. Rev. James Greenfield, of Stayer (Presbyterian),
preaches every four weeks.  Rev. D. E. Brownell, of Feversham (Wesleyan)
every two weeks; and Rev. I. Ryder (Primitive Methodist), every four weeks.

Bowes, George S. (of Sutherland and Bowes.) 
Field, Henry, Boot and Shoemaker.
GAMEY, THOMAS, Farmer, commissioner in Queen's Bench; J.P. (2 miles West.)
GUY, WILLIAM, Horse-shoer and General Blacksmith.
Heron, Thomas, Carpenter.
Heron, Robert, Carpenter and Builder.
Heron, Duncan, Farmer, Lessee Feversham Sawmill. 
Heron, Richard, Farmer.
Long, Hosea, Farmer.
Long, Wesley, Carpenter.
MAXWELL, JOSEPH, Proprietor Maxwell Hotel, and Postmaster.
Sproule, James, Farmer.
Sageon, Joseph, Farmer.
SUTHERLAND & BOWES, General Dealers in Country Produce,
	Dry Goods, Groceries, Boots and Shoes, &C.
Sutherland, James A. (of Sutherland & Bowes.)
Shields, Andrew, Cabinet maker.
SCOTT, ROBERT, Blacksmith. ( 3/4 m. East).

taken from: Falls

[ Eugenia and Eugenia Falls were approx. 6 miles west of the Dand Farm in the next township ]
Excerpt from:
By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. 


A town plot in the township of Artemisia, at the Falls of the Beaver River,  
4 1/2 m. from Flesherton, 20 m. S. of Meaford, 26 m. from Collingwood by 
present route, and 35 from Owen Sound.  In August, 1858, Messrs. Purdy 
commenced operations in Eugenia.  A house was run up, a small clearing made, 
&c., near the brink of the Falls.  The sawmill was built in 1859, and the 
flouring mill put in operation in 1860.  The town plot consists of 800 acres. 
None of it except the mill plot is yet sold by the Government.  A few 
inhabitants have taken possession of town or park lots, and some improvements 
have been made.  In 1864, the Municipal Council of Artemisia memorialized 
the Crown Land Department in favour of selling the lots in Eugenia and 
Priceville.  The people of Eugenia opposed it, as far as their town was 
concerned, and the "Department" took their view of the subject.  Residents 
giving the County Crown Land Agent satisfactory proof of having built on
the town lots, or made improvements to a specified extent on the Park lots, 
are allowed to purchase them of the Government at fixed reasonable rates. 
The inhabitants think this is more to the interest of the village than having 
the town plot sold by auction, as in the latter case a larger portion would 
get into the hands of absentees.  The place has now outgrown its first 
difficulties; mills have been built, a village site cleared, roads to 
some extent opened out and a steady growth may reasonably be anticipated.  
The place was surveyed nine or ten years ago, during the Crimean War, and the 
names of the streets, Alma, Balaklava, Raglan, Codrington, &c., bear
witness to the exciting interest of the time.  The village contains a 
Postoffice and store, a tavern, three or four carpenters, a grist mill, a 
sawmill, plasterer, a painter, a boot and shoemaker, &c.  There are two 
first class water privileges, not in use, above the Falls, in the town plot,
besides the rapids below the Falls, and the Falls themselves, which latter, 
it is hoped, may be long unvexed with labouring wheels, to give pleasure 
to the lovers of the picturesque, the grand and the beautiful.

The Grist Mill is 45 x 35 ft, 3 1/2 stories high, contains two run of stones, 
and water power and room for more.  The River is very swift, and the water 
abundant, and "no dam" is required.  The mill is a very short distance above 
the brink of the Falls.  The sawmill is a little further up.  At another 
excellent water privilege, a quarter of a mile above, the frame of a Woollen 
Factory was erected, but has not been finished.

Elliott, Thomas, Boot and Shoemaker.  
Eligh, Charles, Potash Worker.
Foster, Rev. John, Episcopal Methodist.
Harris, Elias, Farmer, Park lots.
Hawkins, Joseph, Farmer, Park lots.
Hislop, Adam, Miller, Eugenia Mills.
HALSTED, S. T., Proprietor Eugenia Hotel.
Long, E. G. Teamster. 
Purdy, Alexander, Proprietor Grist and SawMill.              
PURDY, R. McLEAN, General Merchant, Postmaster,  Commissioner
	in Queen's Bench, and Issuer of Marriage Licenses, J. P.
Sloan, Jacob, Carpenter.
Saunders, John, Carpenter.       
Saunders, Samuel, House and Sign Painter    
Saunders, William, Carpenter.       
Whitney, S. T., Carpenter.     

Mails on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to and from Flesherton, on
"Toronto and Sydenham" Gravel Road.    


The feature for which Eugenia is most noted and oftenest visited, is far 
famed Falls of the Beaver River, known as "Artemisia" or "Eugenia" Falls.  
The River, a very considerable stream of clear cold water, plunges over a 
precipice of 7O feet, in one unbroken sweep.  The view, especially from below, 
is sublime.  The rocks are precipitous on either side, and on the Southern 
side a steep hill rises from the brink to a considerable height above, the 
falls.  The descent into the wild ravine below is attended with some
difficulty.  We were unable, on the occasion of our last visit, to make the
descent, being in mid winter.  The cataract shot out, from under a jagged 
curtain of blue ice, and disappered in the huge crater of a rising icecone 
that had crept up one third the height of the falls.  All was silent, 
majestic, and most beautifal.  Adventurous visitors in summer sometimes go 
behind the sheet of falling waters, but it is an operation attended
with difficulty, at times rather dangerous, from the blinding, and stifling 
force of the spray.

The fall is much visited, and will amply repay a day's journey to see it.  
The best route from Owen Sound is by the Toronto and Sydenham Gravel Road 
to Flesherton.  Eugenia is two miles from the nearest point on the Gravel Road, 
which would be three miles East of Flesherton.  From Collingwood, the route 
would be via Singhampton and Maxwell.  In either case, the best return route 
is by the descent of the Beaver River Valley to Meaford.  The magnificence
of the view will more than compensate for the newer and rougher road.

R. McLean Purdy, Esq., the courteous Postmaster at Eugenia, exhibits in his 
Store the antlers of an immense moose, found in a chasm of the rock below the 
falls.  The animal had probably fallen into a snow covered chasm, and 
perished by wolves or hunger.  From tip to tip the antlers would measure when 
uninjured (one is complete), 4 ft. 8 in.  The whole weighs, with one antler
mostly gone, and the lower jaw wanting, 16 1/2 lbs., or about 30 lbs. when 
complete.  The unbroken antler has, for the length of 16 inches, a breadth of 
8 inches on its "flat"; in other words a piece 16 x 8 inches might be sawn 
out of one horn.  Mr. Purdy also shows the curious visitor, some specimens of 
the "Fools' Gold" of 1852; and "thereby hangs a tale."  In 1852, when the 
country was very new and wild, somebody thought he had discovered gold in the 
rocks below the falls.  The secret at first was known only to two or three, 
or at most half a dozen; and they wrought like beavers to make their "pile"
before the whole country should come flocking to the diggings, and the 
Government interfere with their free mining.  But "murder will out," and 
rumours of gold seem carried by the very air; and it was not many days till 
another prospecting party discovered them from the brink of the precipice, 
hard at work in the chasm.  Seeing they were discovered, they laid down their 
picks, and held a parley.  The newcomers were anxious to be assured that it 
was the "real stuff," being a little doubtful on that point.  "Well," said
an old man, wiping the sweat from his brow, and sitting down on a very 
respectable pile of the purest and most glittering "rocks" he had been able 
to find. "Well, if it's gold, I've got enough, and if it isn't gold, I've 
got enough!"  One adventurous waggonmaker, from the County of York, happening
to be in the region, made a rush with the rest to the diggings, and soon 
departed homeward, several days journey through woods and bushroads, with a 
backbreaking load in a bag.  All the way home he was resolving what use to 
make of his wealth.  He decided on selling his shop, buying and stocking a
good farm, and living in comfort the rest of his days.  He got home, and 
before he slept kindled up his forge fire to melt down a little of the 
precious stuff.  The catastrophe was entirely unanticipated.  The sulphurious 
fumes and horrible stench of the vile stuff choked him, and well nigh drove 
him out of the premises.  The harder he blew, the more horrible became
the stifling fumes, till in despair he pitched the whole lot into the street!  
He had carried home a backload of worthless iron pyrites!

Home       Site Map