Aliénor of Aquitaine [1122-1204] -- Queen of England
Queen of France
Duchess of Aquitaine (fr.1137)
a/k/aEleanor of Aquitaine
Eleanor of Guienne
She succeeded her father, William X, as duchess of Aquitaine. She had been married by him to Prince Louis, who a month later succeeded as Louis VII of France.
She took the unprecedented step of following her husband on crusade (1147-1149), resulting in a papal bull forbidding women on any future crusading expeditions.
Divorced from Louis in 1152 on the pretext of consanguinity, she thus regained Aquitaine which she brought to England within a year when she married Henry Plantagenet, Count of Anjou, later King Henry II of England. This provided a basis for 400 years of French-English strife.
Her continued support of her rebellious sons against Henry resulted in her confinement for twelve years.
|Accedes as duchess of Aquitaine on her father's death|
|Marries Prince Louis Capet|
|Louis accedes as Louis VII, King of France|
|On Second Crusade, with husband Louis|
|Divorced from Louis|
|Marries Henry Plantagenet, Ct Anjou|
|Henry accedes as Henry II, King of England|
|Queen of England|
|She supports her sons in the Great Rebellion against their father|
|She is confined under house arrest to Winchester by Henry|
|Henry dies, succeeded by son as Richard I, King of England|
|Eleanor dies in Fontévrault Abbey, Anjou|
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by Eleanor+of+Aquitaine
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- Wikipedia Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, you included, can edit any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikipedia article except for a few protected pages.
- Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Who2 Profile With "Four good links"
- Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Lion in Winter - Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Female Hero: Eleanor of Aquitaine (Women in World History Curriculum)
- Royalty.nu - Angevin Royal History - Eleanor of Aquitaine, Queen of England and France
- Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Queen Eleanor
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Encyclopedia: Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background