BRUCE, George [1781-1866] -- Scottish-American printer and type founder, inventor (type foundry)
He was co-inventor with his brother's son of a type-casting machine still widely used, and was instrumental in standardizing type sizes.
He immigrated from Scotland at age 15 with his elder brother, David, to Philadelphia, and later they joined in establishing a printing house at New York. There they introduced and improved the English process of stereotyping. They disolved the partnership in 1822, and George thereafter devoted his life to the type foundry.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Vivísimo - Clustered search on george bruce type founder
- Ixquick Metasearch
- Works by
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects
- Chronologies, synopses
- George Bruce : MyFonts.com
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background