CATLIN, George [1796-1872] -- American artist and author
He was fascinated from boyhood by Indians —
perhaps sparked by his mother's stories of her captivity by the Iroquois at age seven.
In 1823 he gave up a budding law practice and started painting.
After seven years as a successful portraitist,
he had the good fortune to meet William Clark, of the Lewis and Clark Expedition,
then Superintendent of Indian Affairs, who became his patron.
In the years 1830-1836 Catlin made several excursions west and sketched, painted and
recorded in his journal all aspects of contemporary Indian life.
Although his works are today much prized for their realistic accuracy and historical value,
and are proudly displayed by our most prestigious institutions,
in his lifetime they - and he - were largely dismissed as worthless.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by George+Catlin
- George Catlin Online
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- Journals: North American Review (1815 - 1900) A contemporary review of Catlin's book, Letters and Notes...
- For sale
- George Catlin: The Story of Wee-jin-jon or, Pigeon's Egg Head
- Pigeon's Egg Head Catlin's before and after portrait of Pigeon's Egg Head, a/k/a Wee-jin-jon
- Compilations, collections
- Vanished Worlds, Enduring People - Exhibition > Illustrated Works > George Catlin's Album unique Cornell University Library's Native American Collection
- Artworks Search Results / American Art 623 paintings
- Medicine Painter: George Catlin on the Upper Missouri River, 1832.
- George Catlin Their complete collection of more than 350 Catlin articles, most with images.
- National Gallery NGAkids George Catlin 1
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- George Catlin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, you included, can edit any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikipedia article
- George Catlin History
- Handbook of Texas Online - CATLIN, GEORGE The Handbook of Texas always seems to have something important to say about my relatives!
- Explorers & Travelers - George Catlin
- Search Artists / American Art
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines A selection of search engines, for George+Catlin
- Discussion, interviews
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background