COTTON, John (Rev.) [1584-1652] -- Puritan clergyman
a/k/aPatriarch of New England, The
He was the grandfather of Cotton Mather ¤. As pastor at Boston, LIN, ENG, he was called into question because of his non-conformity. He resigned and came to America with some members of his congregation.
In America, he was primarily responsible for the expulsions of
Anne Hutchinson ¤ and
Roger Williams in clashes
over views of the proper place of religion in community life.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- Wikipedia Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, you included, can edit any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikipedia article except for a few protected pages.
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background