Princes of Kievan Rus
KIEV Family Outline Descent Tree(s) (ODT)
Name formsKieff, Kiev, Kiyiv, Kyiv, Rurik
Tradition tells of the origins of Russia in the 9° century with the Kievan Rus. The Slavs drove the Varangian Vikings, or Rus, out of the area between the Black and Baltic seas, back to Sweden from whence they came — only to discover that they were unable to govern themselves. To put down the ensuing disorder, they invited the Rus to return as legitimate rulers.
Among them was one Riurik, a Varangian prince,
who became Prince of Novgorod,
a city located some 160 km south and 60 km east of present-day St Petersburg (former Leningrad).
His descendants, the Rurikid Dynasty,
ruled Russia to the end of the 16° century
and the Time of Troubles.
The Princes of Vladimir and, ultimately,
the Tsars of Russia trace their origins to this family.
=ancestor, =cousin, =cousin-by-marriage, +=family
=Has bookmarks, Marks recent changes
(as of 2014-09-06), =::Cross reference
|RURIK of Kiev [~800-879] – Prince of Kiev; founder of Rurikid dynasty KIEV24 31GGFa|
|Vladimir I the Great [~0956-1015] – Russian saint, Grand Prince of Kiev KIEV19 28GGFa|
Vladimir II Monomakh
[1053-1125] – Grand Prince of Kiev, Grand Duke of Kiev
Bookmarks (off-site links)
origins, early history
- Kievan Rus. The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001-07
- Kievan Rus' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Kievan Rus'
- Kievan Rus
- Earliest History of our Country [in Russian] Early historical information - Kiev Russia - Colonization of Suzdal6sko - Vladimir Russia - Influence of Tatar authority on specific Russia - Specific way of life of Suzdal6sko- Vladimir Russia - Novgorod - Pskov - Lithuania - Moscow principality to the middle KHV of century - Time of the great prince Ivan III
- Russian History before 1800
- The Founding of the City of Kiev.
- Medieval Sourcebook: The Novgorod Chronicle: Selected Annals
- RAMBAUD ON THE KIEVAN RUS' PRINCIPALITY UNDER VLADIMIR AND YAROSLAV [excerpted from Alfred Rambaud, Russia, Leonora B. Lang, tr., vol. 1 (New York: Collier, 1900), pp. 24-26]
- RAMBAUD ON THE KIEVAN RUS' IN THE PRE-CHRISTIAN ERA [excerpted from Alfred Rambaud, Russia, Leonora B. Lang, tr., vol. 1 (New York: Collier, 1900), pp. 24-26]
- Grand Duke of Kiev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Rurikid dynasty
Candidates Work List
This is my working list of candidates to include --
I'm not yet sure if they are related to me!
As candidates are eliminated (proven not related) they are marked appropriately (
an explanation included.
They are kept in the list in case future research proves they can be included.
(And to keep them from popping up on the list again!)
Never discard good research!
Proven candidates' names are marked with an asterisk (*) until they can be
added to the database.