George, Duke of Clarence [1449-1478] -- English noble, Duke of Clarence
Earl of Warwick
Earl of Salisbury
Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland
Rebelled against his brother Edward IV,
with his father-in-law, Richard, Earl of Warwick,
Returned his allegiance to his brother, but it was too late.
Convicted of treason on the accusation of his brother
Richard, Duke of Gloucester,afterwards Richard III,
he was executed by drowning in a butt of Malmsey wine,
that being his choice of method.
The Madeira wine "Duke of Clarence" is named for this event.
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects. Trivia.
- Chronologies, synopses, encyclopedias
- Wikipedia Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a WikiWiki, meaning that anyone, you included, can edit any article right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikipedia article except for a few protected pages.
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- Open Directory The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human- edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.
- Search engines
- Collections, archives - Papers
- Historical context, background
- Brother: ¤Richard III "Crookback" [1452-1485] English Monarch
- Daughter: ¤Margaret of York, Blesséd [1473-1541] English martyr, Countess Salisbury