ROOSEVELT, Franklin Delano [1882-1945] -- American politician, 32° POTUS
a/k/aUnited States, POTUS 32
Led the nation through the Great Depression and World War II.
Fifth cousin of President Theodore Roosevelt,
he was himself 32nd President of the United States (1933-1945).
He secured passage of legislation establishing numerous programs to combat the economic
problems of the Great Depression.
Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 Dec 1941, he declared war on the Empire of Japan
in his famous "Day of Infamy" speech.
He died in office of a cerebral hemorrhage.
He was born, made his home, and is buried here in Hyde Park, Dutchess County, NY.
|Nation's first state relief agency (as NY governor)|
|Installed first woman cabinet member (Francis Perkins, Labor)|
|First POTUS to make regular use of radio (for his "fireside chats")|
|First POTUS taking office on date specified by 20th amendment to the constitution|
|First POTUS to break with tradition and run for a 3rd term|
|Signed bill authorizing first U.S. peacetime program of military training|
Bookmarks (off-site links)
- Works by
- Analyses, critiques and interpretations
- F.D.R. inaugural addresses
- Pearl Harbor Speech
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt: The Four Freedoms
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt - The Final Founding Father Completes the Pyramid Stage, 1932-1945 Excerpts from his four inaugural addresses, on the site devoted to the Great Seal of the United States.
- Fireside Chats of Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Condom History "It was a young Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who, when his boss was away from the office, ordered the distribution of condoms to sailors."
- Works about
- Specific periods, events, aspects
- Biography of Franklin D. Roosevelt On the White House site
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Written by the staff of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library
- American Presidents: Life Portraits
- Encyclopedia Americana: Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Information on Roosevelt, Franklin Delano
- Franklin D Roosevelt's Colonial Ancestors Johnson, Alvin P.; Boston: Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Co., 1933. Colonial ancestors of Franklin D. Roosevelt, including families of the name Walton, Aspinwall, Howland, Delano, Church, Lyman, and Robbins. [GLC collection, payment of a subscription fee require
- Memorials, tributes, shrines
- Bibliographies and Link Farms
- IPL POTUS -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1882-1945) From Malaspina Great Books
- Franklin D. Roosevelt: President of the Century
- Bartleby.com Numerous documents
- Franklin D. Roosevelt - 31st President of the United States
- Historical context, background
- IMDb character search Films in which he is portrayed
- Spouse & 5C: ¤ROOSEVELT, (Anna) Eleanor [1884-1962] American author, diplomat and humanitarian, FLOTUS
- 4C1: ¤ROOSEVELT, Theodore [1858-1919] American politician, 26° POTUS, reformer, soldier, author