History of Junius Crossland
by Delna Powell
Written October 10, 2003 with updates March 2004
Addendum added May 2005

Junius Crossland was born October 14, 1820 at London, Middlesex, England1 the son of Nathaniel Valentine Crossland and Eleanor West.2  [See death certificate of Eleanor West Crossland.] He was christened on November 5, 1820 at the church of St. Luke Old Street in Finsbury, London, England.  Parish christening records indicate he was the first son and second of seven children.  His brothers and sisters were: Eleanor Sarah born 1819; Mary Ann born 1824; Nathaniel Valentine (Jr) born 1826; Eleanor born 1828; Eliza born 1830; Rachel born 1832; and Edward born 1841[see birth and marriage certificates].3  

Junius was an umbrella maker and both he and Frances Ann Otton were living at Long Lane in London when they were married May 29, 1841 [see marriage record] at the Parish of Saint Bartholomew the Great, in the City of London, England.4  On the marriage certificate Junius’s  father, Nathaniel Valentine  is listed as a Watch Maker.  Frances Ann’s  father,  Ralph Churchill Otton is a Printer.  Ralph Churchill Otton and Lion Otton Kent were witnesses.5  Junius was twenty years old and Frances was seventeen years old, even though both were listed as "full age".6   Frances was the only daughter of eight children in the family.7

Their first daughter Eleanor Amelia was born March 24, 1843 [see birth certificate] in St. James Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England at 35 Red Lion Street.8  LDS Church and family records list her birth March 24, 1842 or 1844 in London, Middlesex, England.9  The ship roster of the International lists her birth 1844.10  

November 23, 1846 [see birth certificate] their second daughter Frances Mary Ann was born at 35 Red Lion Street in St. James Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England.11  Church and family records list her birth as November 25, 1848 in London, Middlesex, England.12  

The family heard the gospel preached and was converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  They were baptized May 16, 1851.13   Junius was baptized by Elder McCaughie at the Holbron London Conference in the British Mission.14  He was  living at 33 Meredith Street, Clerkenwell.

One month later, June 6, 1851 [see birth certificate] another daughter Eliza Love was born at 33 Meredith Street in Clerkenwell, London, Middlesex.15 Family records list her name Eliza Luff and born June 8,185116 and  born on Red Lion Street, London,  England on June 6, 1851.17  
Junius was ordained a Teacher in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints  December 19, 1851 at the Theobald’s Road, London Conference.  He was still living at 33 Meredith Street, Clerkenwell.18

On March 22, 1852, Junius was ordained an Elder in the Church at Holborn.19 Family records show Eleanor Amelia was baptized in 1852.20  She would have been 10 years old.
“In 1853, the Crosslands sold their possessions in London and left England against the wishes of her (Frances Ann Otton) parents and seven brothers, and came to America.”21  The Church Membership index card record shows the family emigrated February 22, 1853.22

The ship passenger list shows them living on Jurin Street in the city of London.
They boarded the ship International  February 23, 1853 bound for New Orleans.  Passenger Number 34 was Junius Crossland, an Umbrella Maker, age 32, Frances A. age 28, Eleanor age nine, Mary A. age six, and Eliza age two.  The date of acknowledgment was Feb 12, 1853.  The deposit was 5 pounds for the whole family. The balance paid was 19 pounds.     

On the same ship passenger Number 42 was William West, a Joiner, age 54, Mary age 54 and Fredrick age15.  Their date of Acknowledgment was Feb. 10, 1853.  They lived on Castle Street, Clerkenwell, London.  The deposit paid was 1 pound for William, 1 pound for Mary and 5 pounds for Fredrick.  Balance paid was 20 pounds.23  This William West could be the brother of Junius’s mother Eleanor.

The International, with Captain Brown and a company of 425 souls, under the presidency of Elder Christopher Arthur, sailed for New Orleans, February 28, 1853.  Elders John Lyon, author of “The Harp of Zion” and late President of the Glasgow Conference, and R. G. Frazer, late President of the work in Londonderry, were included in this company.  There were six Wards for 88 berths.24   During the voyage seven deaths, seven births, and five marriages took place.

Frances Ann was 28 years old, expecting a child in three months and had three little girls ages nine, five, and two years old.

Some of the International passengers recorded in their journals the following.

“On the twenty-fifth day of February, the ship was towed out of the dock into the River Mersey and dropped anchor.  We remained here two days, while all were ordered on deck, answered to our names and were examined by a doctor before the ship could get her clearance papers.”25
“There were English, Irish, Scotch, and Welch among us.”26

“This boat was antedated and its propelling powers were governed or controlled entirely by the wind.  Notwithstanding the fact that her cargo consisted chiefly of Saints who were praying and pleading to their Creator for a safe and speedy voyage, it was ten weeks from the time we left Liverpool until we arrived at New Orleans our ocean destination.  Those in charge of this company were very zealous in regard to their religion, holding deck meetings when weather conditions would permit.”27

They were tugged out of Stanley Dock into the River Mersey and cast anchor waiting for a fair wind.  Finally a steamer tugged them out for 20 miles and  March 1st was the first sailing with most of the Saints sick.  The ship was well organized and meeting were held when the weather permitted.  John Lyon kept a diary of each days happenings for the crossing.28  Joseph S. Jones, Christopher Arthur29  also kept a daily diary.30

“All the crew except the boatsman, the carpenter and his wife were baptized including the Captain and mates.  Also several of the passengers were baptized including my sister and myself.  We were baptized April 9th , 1853 in a large vat on the deck.”31  

“When about four days out we were in nice warm weather for five weeks.  We had headwinds and our captain declared that we were only ten days sail from Liverpool and with the same wind he could bout ship and land us there in that time.  It was agreed that we have a days fasting and prayer.  At about 3 p.m. this day of prayer the wind changed and we reached New Orleans in three weeks.  We had one storm in the early part of the voyage which lasted about two days.  I was appointed to wash and scrape the hatchway steps every morning during the voyage which I done except on one occasion the second day of the storm.”32

Elizabeth Forvargue Smith wrote “Father Smith did our cooking which consisted of boiled pork, rice and oatmeal gruel.  We had crackers for bread, a little cheese, tea, and brown sugar.  We took a little flour, a large ham, and two jars of gooseberry jam.”33

At the end of the voyage Elder Lyons records the following:

(April 21, 1853) “ Southeast wind, light breezes; bending cables and getting anchor ready.  Saw south-west pass lighthouse in the evening.
(April 22, 1853)   A Mississippi steamboat took us in tow.  We got our boxes out of the ship’s hold, to be ready for landing.  Held a meeting in the evening, when Captain Brown gave us an address.
(April 23, 1853)   Still being tugged by a steamer in the Mississippi River; sugar and cotton plantations in sight, on each side of the river.  Arrived in New Orleans Port at 5 p.m.  A doctor came on board to examine us;  Many of our brethren were appointed guards by Father [George] Waugh to protect our boxes, and to keep strangers from coming on board, while many went on shore to buy fresh provisions. This was a time of rejoicing.
The International passengers arrived at New Orleans April 23rd 1853, 54 days after they set sail.
     We stopped in New Orleans for four days, then started in two companies to St. Louis, the former superintended by President Arthur, the latter by Counselors Lyon and Waddington, on board of the “St. Nicholas” [p.12] and “Liah Tuna,” where we arrived eight days thereafter, and the same evening embarked on the “Jeanne Deans,” and in 24 hours landed in Keokuk all in good health and spirit, and joined the camp of Israel.”34

Brother Lyon handed out rations of biscuits, cheese, some butter, sugar and a little tea for the “Liah Tuan” passengers.35

     An original song, Written and Sung, by Henry Maiben [Maibin] (of Brighton) on board the ship International, on the occasion of a Festival, held April 6th, 1853, in commemoration of the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. From John Lyons Diary36

                                                            TUNE--YANKEE DOODLE
On board the International
All joyful, and lighthearted,
Bound Zionward, four hundred Saints,
From Liverpool we started.
We’re English, Irish, Scotch, and Welsh
Assembled here together;
Resolved to do the will of God,
Whate’er the wind and weather.
     Then, sing aloud, ye Saints of God,
     In one united chorus;
     Old Babylon we’ll leave behind,
     For, Zion is before us.
We had a noble president,
You’ll scarce find such an one, Sirs,
He stands near six feet six, in height, [p.13]
And weighs near twenty stone, Sirs.
But, best of all, he’s full of love,
He’s frank, and open-hearted;
And as sincere as any that
From Bab’lon has departed.
Now, Elder Arthurs’ counselors
(I wish you all to know it)
Are, Elder Lyon (from Glasgow),
The celebrated Poet:
And, Elder Richard Waddington,
(From London’s famous city)
Who’s been sick almost all the way,
Which has drawn forth our pity.
And Elders are appointed to
Take charge of wards and sections,
And do all things according to
The president’s directions.
Thus ev’ry regulations made
Which is found to be needed;
So that, there’s not a soul on board
Whose welfare is unheeded.
Then, of such fact, or incident
That’s worthy of remark here;
We have a faithful record kept,
By Elder Sims, our clerk here. [p.14]
Amongst which you’ll find, two deaths, five births,
And twenty-five baptisms.

Likewise (today) four marriages,
But no such thing as schisms.
The Captain name is “David Brown,”
My muse cannot refuse its
Verse, in reference to him;
He comes from Massachusetts.
Of course, he is tarnation ‘cute,’
Yet, he is honest, “rather,”
And must, ere long, become a Saint,
And serve our Heav’nly Father.
The first mate’s name is “Alfred Howes,”
The second mate’s “Arch. Campbell,”
The third mate’s is “John Marston,” and
Then, comes a sort of scramble:
That is to say, a motley crew,
Called sailors, or ship-riggers;
Amounting to about eighteen,
Swedes, Germans, Dutch, and Niggers.
The Captain’s “Steward, and his wife,”
Next and forth our attention;
Then “Richard Foulton” Captain’s cook,
I can’t omit to mention.
And last (not least) the carpenter,
“Calle Westerlind,” a Swede, Sirs [p.15],
The first of the ship’s company
T’ embrace our Holy Creed, Sirs.
We’ve been on board five weeks and more,
And have endured much sickness;
We’ve also had headwinds and storms,
T’ impede the vessels quickness.
Yet, we have cause, and do rejoice,
Thanks to the God of Heaven!
For unto us, his blessings have
Abundantly been given.
Today’s the 6th of April, and
We now, are celebrating
The glorious anniversary,
With gladness unabating.
And who? that could but witness now,
Our festive, happy faces;
But would obey the truth, to share
The joy our faith embraces.

Below are personal journals of members of the Jacob Gates Company and the ship International.

From New Orleans the Saints continued the journey up the Mississippi River to Keokuk, Iowa.37

Stephen Forsdick related the following--“Ours had been a remarkable voyage.  Other ships had baptized a few sailors, but to convert the entire crew, with just one exception, was something that had never happened before.
     When we arrived at the mouth of the river, the water instead of being nearly green became yellow.  The sailor told us it was the Mississippi River and was fresh and fit to drink which we found to be true.
     Here a tug took hold of us and towed us over the bar, then took another vessel on the other side of her and we proceeded up the river without dropping anchor. [p.13]
     The land on either side of the river for some distance was low and swampy, but as we neared New Orleans orange groves began to appear and it was quite a sight to us to see ripe and green fruit and blossoms on the trees at the same time.
     I think it was on the evening of the twenty-fourth of April, that we tied up at the levee in New Orleans, having made the trip in about nine weeks.
          Here the first part of our journey came to an end and a good many of us thought that the worst was over, but we were badly mistaken, as we found before our journey was really ended.
     At this point we found a Mormon from Salt Lake City by the name of John Brown.  He was sent by Brigham Young to look after the interests of the emigrants to charter steamboats to take us to Saint Louis and he was thoroughly on to his job.
          Here our crowd was divided, some of the well-to-do taking passage on the “Alex Scott,” at that time the fastest boat on the lower river.
     The bulk of us were assigned to the “Liah Tuna” which came alongside the ship and our baggage was skidded from the ship to the boat, a very quick way to get it transferred.
     At that time there was very little tariff on foreign goods, so that the examination of our goods was not much more than a formality.  About the twenty-eighth we started up the river to St. Louis.
     As soon as we were started a watch was set and changed every two hours.  The entire lower deck was chartered, so that we had the right of way.  There was a big crew of deck hands an it was to prevent any stealing on their part that the watch was set.
     In those days it was almost an unbroken forest on either side of the Mississippi River.  The towns were not large and occasionally there would be a cleared field.  About three hundred miles from New Orleans, the boat stopped to unload some railroad iron for the Mobile Railroad.  It was at a clearing.  There was a log shanty near the shore and on the sides were nailed some big snakes.  These were the first snakes that any of us had ever seen, but have seen and killed many since that time.
     We met with no accident going up the river and on the sixth day of May we arrived in St. Louis.
     I had some friends living in St. Louis and made them a hurried call, made a few purchases, especially powder and shot.
     When I returned to the boat found that the "Jeanne Deans" an upper Mississippi River boat was along side.  Our things were soon transferred and some time the next night we landed at Keokuk, Iowa, thus having completed our water journey without losing a single person of death.
     When morning came it found most of our baggage in a large warehouse on the levee and we began to look for the camp.   It was located on a bluff about half a mile north of the business part of Keokuk.
     At that time the business part of Keokuk was confined to about one street, which I think ran west from the landing.
     The Mormon camp consisted of a long street with wagons on either side of it.  We were shown our camp, which consisted of about twenty wagons with bows on them, that was all.
          From that time on I pitched the tent with the help of one of the others.  Some bacon and flour were served out to us and we commenced camp life.
     In the meantime some wagons had been hauling our goods from the river to the camp and we picked out what belonged to us and put them in the tent or wagon.
     I remember that it was very muddy.  We had lots of rain, so that our first acquaintance with camp life was not very flattering.
     We went to the timber to get wood for the fire.  Eggs were cheap in Keokuk, so we bought some eggs, fried bacon and eggs and made pancakes and felt like we had a feast.
     After being cramped up on shipboard for so long, it felt good to have plenty of room to run about and we enjoyed it to the full.  After we gathered plenty of wood and water, we went fishing and hunting and thus two weeks passed.
     A few days later the cattle came and then the fun began.  Mr. Bignell had been a teamster in England, so he and I went among the cattle and picked two yoke of oxen which we chained together and called “Our team.”  We then picked out two yoke of cows and drove them out of the corral and began to break them.
     It was easy for him to do, but lots of the men had never driven a team in their lives.  They did not know Gee from Haw and could not put on, nor take off a yoke.  They could not get their own oxen near the wagon tongue and it took lots of patience, as many of the men were greener than the cattle.
     It would take two or three men to each team, some on one side and some on the other and why there were not more accident is something that I could never understand.
     After driving the cattle around for a few days and getting the men used to their teams, about the first day of June we broke camp and started our long journey, overland.
     We drove out a short distance where the grass was good and there a meeting was called for organization.
     Jacob Gates was appointed president and he chose Richard Waddington and a man named Noyer to be the Captain of fifty, that is, each one would be captain of half the wagons.  [p.16]”38

Many of those on the ship International, along with the Crossland family, joined the Jacob Gates Pioneer Company.

Christopher Jones Arthur wrote- “Arriving at St. Louis all well and was soon on our way to Keokuck Camp.  Arriving, pitch our tent near a river.  The camp was lively, scattered over many acres.  Some in tents others in new wagons.  I spent some time shooting game.  Father employed a cook. [p.6]”39

One month from the date the ship arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana,  a daughter Emma Elizabeth was born May 30, 1853 at Keokuk, Iowa to Frances and Junius Crossland.  Three days later, with Frances confined to her bed in the wagon, the family joined the Jacob Gates Company to emigrate to Utah.40  

The Jacob Gates Company consisted of 262 members with 33 wagons.   They left Keokuk the third of June 1853, only three days after baby Emma was born.

Elizabeth Fovargue Smith relates the following.  “The night before we started from Keokuk we had a heavy thunder and rain storm.  The wind blew down our tent and gave us such a washout as we had never witnessed.  Our bedding and our clothing were soaking wet, so Mother Smith said they must all be washed.  So on Monday as soon as the storm stopped, at it we went.  We had just got through washing and hung the things on the bushes to dry when President Jacob Gates came round to our tents.  He told us to be ready to start on our journey in half an hour.  Of course the things were not half dry.  We traveled until dark, then camped in high grass which was very wet but we had to lay our bedding down in the grass.  We did not take cold for the Lord can take care of his Saints.
     We had quite a tedious journey but I enjoyed it.  We used to rest on Sundays when there was plenty of food and water for the animals.  We woman folks used to look out for wood and pack it in our dress skirts.  Some time we was told to do our washing and cooking on Sunday as we would start Monday morning at sunrise.  One Saturday we camped at a place where there was large beds of strawberries.  I got up on Sunday morning as soon as it was light and gathered a large pan full and made some pies.
     We walked most of the way.  There were several sick persons in our wagon.  We reached Council Bluffs on the 3rd of July.  The people celebrated the Fourth of July, so also our people, with firing of guns.  There was several dances for both old and young.  I suppose they had good times.  We stayed at the bluffs several day, then commence our journey over the deserts and plains.  When the weather was fair we enjoyed ourselves with telling stories or reading or gathering flowers to throw away; also gathering buffalo chips to burn.  Some times the sun was so warm we would take off shoes and stockings and bonnets and have umbrellas.  At another time we would have to put on all the wraps we could command.
     We got very short of food the last few weeks we were traveling.  When we was two weeks journey from the Valley, Brother Gates sent Richard Waddington on to the Valley to see if there was any provisions could be sent out to the people.  He came back to the camp.  He had seen several people that had friends in the company and they came out with what provisions they could spare.  Thomas Cottam came out to meet us and bought his ox team with some flour and potatoes and melons.  He met us on the Big Mountain where we camped at night.  We was very hungry and tired.  I had had nothing to eat all day and for several days Thomas dare not let us have half enough to eat for fear we should be sick.  We had some potatoes and hard or heavy dumplings and he gave us a little watermelon.  Mother Smith got very sick with the change of feed.”41

Robert Reeve of the Jacob Gates Company recorded the following:          
As for me, crossing the plains was mostly a good time.  Once when we got into the Pawnee Indian Country, the Indians stopped us and made us pay tribute.  And the chiefs had a tent in our camp for the night, and I had the job of guarding their tent from 9 to 1 o’clock.  That was my first guarding that I had done, and I was rather timid but it went off first rate.  Another night on the Platt River close by Fort Laramie, I was on guard when it kept up incessant thunder, lightning & rain-so much lightning that we could see the cattle plain, and the thunder was fearful.  But [we] got along all right, and grandmother stayed up and got us some good Buffalo Head Soup and bread.  At the time 1853, you could see Buffalo by the thousand along the Platt River, also Deer and Antelope.  [p.184]”42

John Paternoster Squires wrote: “Sometime in June we left Keokuk and started for the valley of the Great Salt Lake and arrived there on Friday the 30 of Sept.  Elder Jacob Gates was our captain and leader and a good one he was too.  I think I shall never forget, the industry, energy, and untiring he exercised for the good of the company and upon the while we had a prosperous and quick journey, but I am grieved to say that we had the unspeakable grief of losing our little boy Richard who fell asleep on Monday the 12th of Sept 1853, about 4 miles this side the dividing ridge at a place called the Pacific Spring. [p.27]”43

Joseph Greaves Autobiography-  “I was so hungry the latter part of our journey that I had made up my mind that as soon as I got in the valley of Salt Lake I would commence to beg, but as usual, the last day I was a long way behind the [p.3] company.  And as soon as I got out of the mountains I could see the city in the distance.  I left two oxen that had hindered my progress all day, and traveled a little faster.  When I reached camp my wife informed me that the people commenced to beg at every house they passed. When I learned that, it took all the courage out of me and one of our company, seeing we had nothing, gave us enough to make us a supper.  Thus ended our journey, on the 30th of Sept., 1853.  [p.4]”44

John Fell Squires      “We finally arrived at our destination.  This was on the thirtieth day of September, 1853, so that we were nearly eight months from the time we started until we arrived at our destination notwithstanding the fact that we were on the move during this time, but not so fast as they move now.  I shall never forget our first evening on the old Union Square between sundown and dark.  We came with what was then known or called the Ten Pound Company, so that we only had the use of the oxen and wagon but did not own them.
     Our junk or personal property was dumped on the ground and the team taken away.  Our duds consisted in a worn out cooking outfit, a couple of rolls of bedding, two or three old battered trunks and an ax.  Father sat on one trunk with the rim of a hat on his head, crown long since gone.  Mother sat on another trunk.  My sister Mary Ann stood by Mother’s side.  I was laying on the bedding for various reasons, we were all in a reflective mood consequently we were quiet but not for long.
     Mother broke out into tears at the same time saying, “And this is Zion for which we have sacrificed so much and traveled so far to reach.”  Father said, “Cheer up, Kittie, I believe all will be well with us.  There is one consolation left for we shall not have to travel any further.”  While in this mood a man came up to us and said, “Did you come in with the company that pulled in this evening?” [p.4]
     “Yes sir,” Father replied, “Have you any relatives or acquaintances here in Salt Lake City.”  Dad said, “There may be people here that I have met before but there are no relatives of ours in this place.”  “What do you intend to do for tonight?”  Dad said, “That is what we have been trying to figure out.”  This man took a good long silent look at us and then said, “Say, if you can’t beat it and are willing to accept, I have an empty unfinished room you are welcome to use for tonight.  There is a carpenter bench and tools with lumber and shavings on the floor, no windows or door, but I think you could make it better than lying outside on the ground.”  Father replied, “We will except it with thanks.”  “Alright then, let us gather up your duds and follow me.”  He led the way with the big end of our luggage and soon landed us in our new home.  As he was about to leave he asked whether we had anything to eat.  “No, we ate the last that we had for breakfast.”  He left in silence, but soon returned with a big, round loaf of white bread and a pan of milk with cream.  It was dark by this time but we managed to get some of this down our necks, roll out the bedding and crawl in.  This was our first night in Zion.” [p.5]45

Stephen Forsdick writes--“Once on the top, we felt like I know the Israelites of old must have felt when they arrived in sight of the Promised Land, for Lo! through a cleft in the mountains, we caught a glimpse of the valley, with the mountains to the west.
     The descent was very steep and part of the way down, we had to rough lock the wagons.
     The next day we entered the valley, through Emigration Canyon and encamped that night on the Public Square in Salt Lake City, the Mormon’s Zion, for which we had traveled so far almost eight thousand miles. [p.25]
     From the twenty-fifth of February until June the first by water and from June first until September thirtieth overland, a distance of fourteen hundred miles and almost every mile of it on foot. [p.26]”46

Other Biographical sources of the Jacob Gates Wagon Train that came on the ship International are:
Henry Butler “Loaned Out,” in Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol 12:76
James Farmer- Diary in Library of Congress reel 11 item 3, Vol. 2, 2-42
James Ririe- Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol 9: 355-58

The Jacob Gates Company arrived in the Great Salt Lake October 26-30, 1853.  

Some histories have that Junius Crossland died September 11, 1853 at Bear River while Mrs. Crossland was still confined to her bed in their wagon.  They report he died of Mountain Fever and was given a hasty burial in the wilderness of the plains and his grave is located near what is known today as Evanston, Wyoming. Some sources have he died 11-26 September 185347 and the family came on in the Jacob Gates Wagon Company.  

Some Companies in the Jacob Gates Wagon Train did not report a roster list so the list of the Jacob Gates Wagon Train is not complete.  William West and family are not listed in this company or any of the companies coming to Utah, but they were on the ship International with the Crossland family. Research indicates that William West and his family stayed and lived in Keokuk, Iowa.

A letter from Junius Crossland to his Mother dated Oct 26, 1853 at Salt Lake City indicates he died after October 26th.    Below is an extraction of the letter written by Junius Crossland:48

See photocopies of the original letter.

had poor living, and
very short of that fan
cy (fancy) only 8 men to watch
cattle, surrounded by
howling wolves while the
women were up till
12 and 8 o clock baking
bread for the next Day.
I of course was one
(Page side missing) eratly
(Page side missing) the ____
(Page side missing) when we
(Page side missing) Sunday the
(Page side missing) to wash and
(Page side missing) mend way
(Page side missing) so we went
(Page side missing) ___ one

Page 4

               Great Salt Lake City
                 October 26th 1853

My Dear Mother
     We left Liverpool
March the 1st after a rough
and unpleasant voyage
____ Crossland was very
ill on the sea, also
myself and the children
especially Eliza.  We arrived
at New Orleans April
28th and stopped 2 days.
It is a fine place to live
in and I should like you
and Edmund, father in
law and all that could
to come out here.

Page 1

Provisions are very
cheap, labour is well
paid for, and capital
good living, and a very
healthy place.  I wish          
I and the children could
get back there, but I
am afraid we shall
never get the means.
We had a week going
up the river and got
to the St Louis late one
morning, and left the
next day for Keakuk (Keokuk)
and got there the day
after here we stopped                            
a month - Crossland had                                

Page 2

several days labour
On the 30th of May another
girl was born –She is
very much like Frances
We left Keakuk (Keokuk)
the 2nd June, and
reached Kanneville (Kanesville)
July 2nd – We had to
travel over the roughest
ground most (Page side missing)
____ can     (Page side missing)
left Kanesville (Page side missing)
16th of July  (Page side missing)
Menced/messed/need (Page side missing)
Across the  (Page side missing)
found the    (Page side missing)
and trying   (Page side missing)

Page 3

Junius’ widow Frances settled in the Seventeenth Ward in Salt Lake City.  She continued her trade of making Umbrellas.  She also took in washing.  In  July 1, 1858  Frances Crossland married William Adams. To them were born three children.  Alice Mariah Adams born May 14, 1859;  Annie Jane, born  March 10,  1861 and Joseph Hyrum Adams born  February 22, 1865.

ADDENDUM - Added May 2005, Delna Powell

Some histories have that Junius Crossland died September 11, 1853 at Bear River while Mrs. Crossland was still confined to her bed in their wagon.  They report he died of Mountain Fever and was given a hasty burial in the wilderness of the plains and his grave is located near what is known today as Evanston, Wyoming. Some sources have he died 11-26 September 185349 and the family came on in the Jacob Gates Wagon Company.  

Junius’s daughter Eliza Crossland Banks was quoted in an article in the Deseret News, Thursday, October 3, 1931.  In the article, entitled “Unknown Grave Believed That of Pioneer’s Father,” she states that this ‘Unknown Grave’ found near Bear river, where the town of Evanston Wyoming is was that of her father.50 [See copy of article.]

Burial Place of Junius Crossland  by L. Wesley McDonald Jr., 1986.51   This is a wonderful history of his quest to find the burial place of Junius Crossland.   He found a daily journal by Christopher Arthur which lists the place and death of Junius Crossland.  He journeyed to the site and found many opened graves, one of  which was possibly the grave of Junius Crossland.  He records a spiritual experience of this find.

Journal of Christopher Arthur Emigrating Company Feb.-Oct 1853.52  The book is about 4x5 inches and perhaps a half an inch thick.  The cover is so warped and faded that one could not be sure of its original color.  All entries had been made with a dull pencil and the writing left much to be desired.  Mr. Arthur was not the official recorder for the camp.  He kept a private diary with the dates chronicled daily throughout the trip and contained good descriptions of physical landmarks along the trail.53


Monday, Sept 19th
Started 8-1/2 o’clock, crossed Black Fork of Green River, traveled 14 miles—meadowing grass–plenty of wood. (DEATH) of Francis Crowther, age 27, from Bermingham.  Camped at the fork of the Black Fork of the Green River.  Woodington Y. Urue started.

Tuesday, Sept 20th
Started 8-1/2, rested about from 1 to 3.  Camped at Fort Bridger.  Meadowing feed.  Brother Gates found an ox and divided it out.

Wednesday, Sept 21st
Started 9 o’clock, rested near 12 for 1-1/2 hours.  Camped at Mud Creek and camped without water.  Good feed...plenty of wood.  Camped near SODA SPRINGS. Maugh’s tounge of waggon broke.  Bro. Gates held a council meeting to divide the £10.0.0 of flour equally.  The movement was carried by all round the council.

Thursday, Sept 22, 1853
DEATH of JUNIUS CROSSLAND, age 30 from London.  Started 8'oclock, travelled 17 miles, camped at Bear River, plenty of wood and fine feed.  Very low mountinous country, 2 ox died, 2 cows dead.  Passed the Soda Springs.

Friday, Sept 23rd
Camped all day by Bear River to shoe cattle & repair Tr., and went back for waggons and bring some cattle that was left behind.  Med some brethren from the valley who told us that provisions was coming.  Oxen... 4 died.

Saturday, Sept 24
Started 8-1/2 o’clock, crossed Willow Creek and camped.  Travelled 18 miles...near a stream.  No wood. Lost 2 cows.

Sunday, Sept 25
Traveled 8 A.M.  Rested & worshiped from 1 to 3 resting all the time.  Traveling the Echo Kanyons... plenty wood water and grass.  Made 14 mile (Tucker?) on watch.  Lost 1 ox and 1 cow.

Monday, Sept 26th
Traveled about 11 miles and camped at Weber River.  Brother Menius Darley found 5 horses, 2 mules.  Many brethren without food.  Brother Noyel let us have some bisquits and bad oatmeal.

1.  Archive Record, Family Records.
2.  Archive Record, christening record lists parents as Nathaniel Crossland and Ellen.
3.  England Civil Registration, June quarter, 1841, Clerkenwell, Vol 3 p 29, Birth 5 March 1841 at 16 John Street, St. James Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England.
4.  Marriage record, page 55, copy on file with Delna Powell.
5.  Marriage record, Batch M022301, 178601863, Film 0374433, St. Bartholomew the Great, London, London, England, p 55.
6.  History of Frances Ann Otton from Malcolm Otton and Gordon Banks.
7.  Ibid.
8.  Civil registration lists birth 24 Mar 1843, Clerkenwell, England, Registration district, St. James, Clerkenwell, Middlesex. Born at 35 Red Lion Street, June quarter, 1843, Vol 3 p 96. Lists parents and occupation of father as umbrella maker. The informant was her mother. Copy on file with Delna Powell.
9.  Family Records.
10.  International Ship Roster, FHL Film 025,690, BMR Book #1044, pp. 120-139.
11.  Civil registration lists birth 23 Nov 1846, Clerkenwell, England, Registration district, St. James, Clerkenwell, Middlesex. Born at 35 Red Lion Street, March quarter, 1847, Vol 3 p 1-4. Lists parents and occupation of father as umbrella maker. Junius Crossland, father, was the informant. Copy on file with Delna Powell.
12.  Family Records. Birth record not found yet.
13.  Date from Archive record; DUP history as May 1851; History has 1851.
14.  British Membership Card Index by Minnie Margetts, FHL Film 415,446, Book No. 713, p. 1 line 11.
15.  Civil registration lists birth 6 Jun  1851, Clerkenwell, England, Registration district, St. James, Clerkenwell, Middlesex. Born at 33 Meredith Street, September quarter, 1851, Vol 3 p 98. Lists parents and occupation of father as umbrella maker. Her mother, F. A. Crossland was the informant. Copy on file with Delna Powell.
16.  Family Records. Birth record not found yet.
17.  Biography of Eliza Luff Crossland by Junius Crossland Banks.
18.  British Membership Card Index by Minnie Margetts, FHL Film 415,446, Book No. 752, p. 26 line 921.
19.  British Membership Card Index by Minnie Margetts, FHL Film 415,446, Book No. 713, p. 32 line 19.
20.  LDS IGI Record.
21.  History of Frances Ann Otton.
22.  British Membership Card Index by Minnie Margetts, FHL Film 415,446.
23.  Ship International, copy on file with Delna Powell. Source: Your Ship–BMR, Book #1044, pp. 120-139, FHL Film 025,690; Customs #162, FHL 200,173.
24.  Mormon Immigration Index–Voyages, BMR, Book #1044, pp. 120-139, FHL Film 025,690; Customs #162, FHL 200,173, Your ship–Received actual copy of ship list.
25.  Autobiography of Stephen Forsdick–on Ship International and Jacob Gates Pioneer Company.
26.  History of Selina Walker Hammond–on Ship International.
27.  Autobiographical Sketch by John Fell Squires–On Ship International and Jacob Gates Pioneer Company.
28.  Diary of John Lyon–on Ship International.
29.  Journal of Christopher Arthur Emigrating Company–On Ship International.
30.  Diary of Joseph S. Jones– on Ship International.
31.  Autobiography of Christopher Jones Arthur–on Ship International.
32.  Diary of Joseph Greaves–on Ship International and Jacob Gates Pioneer Company.
33.  Journal of Elizabeth Fovargue Smith–on Ship International.
34.  Diary of John Lyon–on Ship International.
35.  Ibid.
36.  Ibid., (Ms 4687) pp. 1-15, on Ship International.
37.  Millennial Star, Vol XV, pp 169, 358, 361, 443.
38.  Autobiography of Stephen Forsdick, (Ms 164), pp. 10-16, 15-26, –on Ship International and Jacob Gates Pioneer Company.
39.  Autobiography of Christopher Jones Arthur –on Ship International.
40.  http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/library/pioneercompany/.
41.  Elizabeth Forvargue Smith, Journal, pp. 8-10, donated by Robert Banze, –on Ship International and Jacob Gates Pioneer Company.
42.  Robert Warner Reeve, Jr., Journal, IN Chronicles of Courage, Vol 3 (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1992) pp. 182-84. (HDL).
43.  John Paternoster Squires. Reminiscences and journals, (Ms 2143), pp. 21-27. Acc. #32872. (HDA)–in Jacob Gates Pioneer History.
44.  BIB: Joseph Greaves, [Letters], (Ms 3915), pp. 2-4, Acc. #29829. (HDA).
45.  BIB: John Fell Squires, Autobiographical.
46.  Stephen Forsdick, Autobiography (Ms 164), pp. 10-16, 25-26. (HDA)
47.  Archive Record.
48.  Copy received from the family of Gillian Hopkins in England 2003. Copy of letter on file with Delna Powell.
49.  Archive Record.
50. Deseret News Thursday, October 3, 1931 article with quotes by Eliza Crossland Banks.
51. Burial Place of Junius Crossland by L. Wesley McDonald Jr., 1986  received from his daughter Laurainne Huffman.  Copy on file with Delna Powell.
52. Christopher Arthur Emigrating Company, Journal, 1853 Feb.- Oct. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Historical Department MS1429.
53. Burial Place of Junius Crossland by L. Wesley McDonald Jr., 1986.