Souvenir AlbumIn and Around Detroit 1910
St. Mary's Church
St. Mary's School
St. Mary's Church and School
The Germans of the city of Detroit organized themselves into a separate community in 1835, and divine worship was celebrated for them at old St. Anne's until the year 1841, when they established the congregation known as St. Mary's. Their first pastor was Rev. Anthony Kopp. The present beautiful church edifice was erected in 1884 by the Franciscan Fathers, who were then at the head of the parish. The Holy Ghost Fathers are the present directors, and took charge in 1902.
The director, Rev. J. Wuest, is assisted by Rev. Joseph Schultz and C. Wilhelm.
St. Mary's School, located on St. Antoine St. and Monroe Ave., is under the supervision of the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Two hundred pupils attend the school. The mother house of the School Sisters of Notre Dame is in Milwaukee, Wis.
Containing Illustrations of Catholic Churches, Schools and Acadamies and Institutions
(includes Windsor, Ontario area)
The photographs and text were published in 1910 in honor of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Catholic Educational Association which met in Detroit, Michigan, July 5, 1910