Last up dated 12-30-2001
Local Shots in 60s taken by me ( Dick Bolt). I was working
part time as Professional Photographer
Click any photo for the larger version
The Ballard Of The Pesky Sarpent---Article
was in 1962 Yankee Magazine & shows Charlie Merrick who is related
to subject in Song Abt Wilbraham from 1761. Grave stone still likely
in town. Anyone got better photo ?Note, big file & will open slow !!
(1) Jay Avon went on to start a
RatSkellar in Springfield called "Pesky Serpent". The name came from a
song about Wilbraham! He also was involved in toppling a fire tower in
Greefield MA area where he lived. He became a folk hero of the time as
I remember think he ran a bar in Greenfield.
(2) Holly Putnam is now -Spfld College Art Dept
(3) Judy (Cross ) Claudy & husband ( airline pilot) were living in Conn. but have moved to parts unknown in last few yrs.Judy was 1957 Grad of Spfld Tech HS.She taugt at MRHS for 1962-?
(4) The Beach family lived on Road to Hampden & was just past the center on right. They also ran a Xmas shop I think. Jennifer had a leg removed from cancer later on as a teen ager as I remember!
(5) Garry Lewis & The Playboys Band members in early days from Newspaper photo includes Allan Ramsay an old child
hood friend of mine! Allan Ramsay & myself on bicycle built for two! Allan is on front of bicycle.Period was 1957 . Note Allan ( K1CZY) died several years ago in NJ of unknown causes! Hopefully someday a family member will report in. More info. available if interested on Allan. From: Richard Bolt <email@example.com> I just got information on Allan from an old ( 1958) Ham Radio call book: His name was Allan L. Ramsay ( note correct / different spelling). However, going to the SS Death listings again with new name info: I got the results below that I am afraid to say fit!!! I was told he had died by a fellow ham, but could not confirm it. The ARRL also confirmed death!
ALLAN RAMSAY born: 27 Jul 1943 died: Nov 1985 (No Location Given) 08889 (Whitehouse Station, NJ)--Think this is where he was living at time of death! SS# 018-34-9150 SS opened: Massachusetts (Between 1961 and 1962) . I knew Allan when he was in school in Wilbraham MA. in 1950s & 60s.
Link to a Special Allan Ramsay Memorial web page
(7) The Balboni family lived on corner of Stoney Hill Rd & Springfield Street on Ludlow side in 60s.Most of family lives in Florida now with two sons still in Wilbraham area.
More photos contain MRHS events photoed for Spfld papers, Womens & church group photos for paper & special events.
You might want to check out other Wilbraham web sites related to town history: